Hogg Premier League 2016

Into tipping/fantasy/dreamteam/supercoach/ultimate footy competitions? Its all discussed here!

Re: Hogg Premier League 2016

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:31 pm

Premier League Finals Previews

1st Qualifying Final – Hondo SCC vs. Delicious

Mighty Hondo is potentially four weeks away from securing the most successful season in Hogg History. Currently ranked 1st in Hogg Premier, Hogg Elite AND the overall Hogg Rankings has meant that this year’s Hondo model is looking very much like the all powerful Geelong of 2007 who took everything before it as they went on to smash records and a premiership drought. Hondo’s first opponent is Delicious who fielded 20 guns last week as opposed to Hondo’s 21. Both teams are playing Petracca (as coverage for Hall?) at the moment but Liberatore going down is a problem that Delicious has that Hondo does not have to worry about. Libba hasn’t scored many points of late so as long as valleys has the trade this could be a positive but with Hondo ahead on scoring and with the luxury of not really needing to trade my selection is a Hondo victory.

My tip – Hondo SCC

2nd Qualifying Final – Underdogs vs. Captain Who?

Captain Who have been struggling a little in recent weeks and last round they fielded a finalist low of only 19 guns. Underwhelming players who took the field for the Captain last week included Brodie Smith and Jack Silvangi and unfortunately for Groover he also has a Liberatore problem. Meanwhile, the Underdogs have very little to worry about. They fielded 21 guns last week and even though a couple of them scored bugger all last week they still carded a pretty handy score. The only player Sharksta would be even remotely worried about would be Christian Petracca but if he is up against Silvangi then you’d back Tracca to edge ahead. I reckon the Underdogs will do that and advance to the Preliminary Final.

My tip - Underdogs

1st Elimination Final – Ben Rolfsburgers vs. Has Been

Has Been has proven themselves to be the Road Runner in recent weeks as he just won’t go down. The defending premiers looked gone for all money when they got rolled in Round 15 but here they are bobbing up in the first round of the finals as large as life. Has Been could actually be a bit like Steve Johnson…with the smell of finals in the air there may just be a spring in their step and they should have some trades to be aggressive against the Rolfs after the One Club got on the turps and forgot to trade earlier in the season. The Beeners had Silvangi on the field last week but the Rolfs weren’t much better off having to field Collins. If Collins was on for Boyd then that swings things the Rolfs’ way but I reckon the Beeners have the trades and that Stevie Johnson may just get a few kicks this week. I reckon Has Been can win and keep the flag defence alive in something of an upset.

My tip – Has Been

2nd Elimination Final - Richo Richo Man vs. Longwood Lions

The Lions have been well ahead of Richo Richo nearly all season long but right now I believe that CoverKing’s boys could be on track to make a bit of a run. The loss of Shiel is a blow to Richo but the Lions fielded Collins and Clay Smith who is yet to ton up as well as having a Liberatore problem. The Lions have more work to do than any other finalist while Richo looks pretty strong to me. I know CoverKing doesn’t like me tipping him (well who does really?) but I’m thinking that both teams who snuck into the eight can go one week further. Yes, it’s the end of the Lion for Alaska and Richo Richo Man will get a few steps closer to the big dance.

My tip – Richo Richo Man

Good luck to all finalists.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Hondo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:02 pm

Luck has been against me a bit in finals over recent years although I have myself to blame in part with a lack of trades
I'm better placed trade wise this time so it's up to the SC gods
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:48 pm

There was minimal difference between the two of us the last time we met, Hondo, and I don't expect it to be much different this time around.

I am not expecting to win this weekend, but can consider a Semi Final at minimum to be a decent showing in by debut season in Premier League.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:34 pm

Hondo has set me the challenge.

I need 329 combined from Steven, Simpson and Merrett to advance.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Hondo » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:02 pm

valleys07 wrote:Hondo has set me the challenge.

What happened to your Gawn VC loophole?

It's gonna be tight I reckon you will get up actually
Hondo
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:31 pm

Hondo wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Hondo has set me the challenge.

What happened to your Gawn VC loophole?

It's gonna be tight I reckon you will get up actually

I couldn't use it as both Collins and Tucker were named in Freo's 22 :(

Jack Steven spudding it up has put an end to my hopes (I need Merrett to score about 160).

valleys07
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Finals Week 1

Qualifying Final
Hondo SCC 2429
Delicious 2377

Qualifying Final
Underdogs 2456
Captain Who? 2343

Elimination Final
Ben Rolfsburgers 2449
Has Been 2337

Elimination Final
Richo Richo Man 2424
Longwood Lions 2269

Two teams playing off for unique Hogg Shield achievements have earnt the week off after winning their qualifying finals. The Underdogs are hoping to be the first female winner of the premier league as well as the first coach to win the Piglet Shield, Hogg Premier double. Sharksta got the job done in the Premier League but got rolled in her Piglet Quallie against Kiwi Krappers. Meanwhile mighty Hondo just keeps on rolling. Hondo is looking to be the first player to win Elite, Premier and top the scoring of the Hogg. Hondo got a double win this week as they played Delicious in the Qualifying Final of Hogg Elite league as well so I reckon valleys might be looking forward to a new opponent next week.

In the knockout finals Ben Rolfsburgers ended Has Been's premiership defence. The Rolfs scored well enough to suggest a premiership tilt is not beyond them and this result is a lot better than some finals efforts from this side that doesn't have the greatest Post-Season record. Meanwhile Richo Richo's late march to a flag continued on for another week when they put the kibosh on Longwood Lions. The Lions have faded a bit in recent weeks and always looked likely to get rolled.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Premier League Semi Finals Preview

1st Semi Final – Delicious vs. Ben Rolfsburgers

Looking at the four Semi Final teams line up I reckon the two strongest teams are lining up against each other in the first Semi Final. Ben Rolfsburgers has an all gun side with Delicious fielding 21 guns plus the problematic Christian Petracca. Of course valleys could be ready to unleash a recovered Aaron Hall but at this stage there is no way of this scribe viewing this eventuality. Looking at the lineups I believe that the Rolfs have the firepower to send Delicious out in straight sets even if Aaron Hall is in reserve for valleys. It would be a pretty harsh straight sets exit too to cop Hondo and the Rolfs but this is Premier League and not Divvy IV here. I reckon the Rolfs can advance to face the Underdogs in next weeks Preliminary Final.

My tip – Ben Rolfsburgers

2nd Semi Final – Captain Who? vs. Richo Richo Man

Richo Richo Man appears to have struck the Finals Jackpot this week as I reckon Groover is dead set cooked. Hell, even the REBCats would be a chance against a side that is carrying Brodie Smith, Sam Kerridge, Jack Silvagni and Mitch Brown. Still, if Mitch Brown can somehow repeat last weeks frankly bullshit score then Captain Who might just be on to something. Richo Richo also has a plonker on the field in Gresham who might have been drafted into Richo's team to cover Tom Liberatore perhaps. Another problem, as he is for us all that have him is the absolutely spudful efforts of Josh Gibson in recent weeks. He followed up a shitty fifty with another shitty fifty that had SuperCoaches muttering never again. Surely this week Gibbo comes good and Brown spuds up. If that happens that's a mighty swing to CoverKing right there.

My tip - Richo Richo Man

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby One Club Player » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Premier League Semi Finals Preview

1st Semi Final – Delicious vs. Ben Rolfsburgers

Looking at the four Semi Final teams line up I reckon the two strongest teams are lining up against each other in the first Semi Final. Ben Rolfsburgers has an all gun side with Delicious fielding 21 guns plus the problematic Christian Petracca. Of course valleys could be ready to unleash a recovered Aaron Hall but at this stage there is no way of this scribe viewing this eventuality. Looking at the lineups I believe that the Rolfs have the firepower to send Delicious out in straight sets even if Aaron Hall is in reserve for valleys. It would be a pretty harsh straight sets exit too to cop Hondo and the Rolfs but this is Premier League and not Divvy IV here. I reckon the Rolfs can advance to face the Underdogs in next weeks Preliminary Final.

My tip – Ben Rolfsburgers

2nd Semi Final – Captain Who? vs. Richo Richo Man

Richo Richo Man appears to have struck the Finals Jackpot this week as I reckon Groover is dead set cooked. Hell, even the REBCats would be a chance against a side that is carrying Brodie Smith, Sam Kerridge, Jack Silvagni and Mitch Brown. Still, if Mitch Brown can somehow repeat last weeks frankly bullshit score then Captain Who might just be on to something. Richo Richo also has a plonker on the field in Gresham who might have been drafted into Richo's team to cover Tom Liberatore perhaps. Another problem, as he is for us all that have him is the absolutely spudful efforts of Josh Gibson in recent weeks. He followed up a shitty fifty with another shitty fifty that had SuperCoaches muttering never again. Surely this week Gibbo comes good and Brown spuds up. If that happens that's a mighty swing to CoverKing right there.

My tip - Richo Richo Man

regards,

REB

Yo Reb - if you click on the Game Day during the week you can see the full squads. Looks like Delicious is carrying Stringer on the pine in his forward line
One Club Player
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby CoverKing » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:56 pm

Only carried Gresham last week cause Shiel was out. Shiel back in and Gresham out this week. Hopefully don't have to trade this week aswell. Gives me some options if I am lucky enough to get through this week
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:20 pm

Semi Finals

1st Semi Final
Ben Rolfsburgers 2403
Delicious 2350

2nd Semi Final
Richo Richo Man 2427
Captain Who? 2348

Delicious and Captain Who? have both bombed out in straight sets as Ben Rolfsburgers and Richo Richo Man won through to the Preliminary Finals in the Hogg Premier League. The Rolfs are finally going well in August after some aborted premiership assaults while Richo has somehow made to the last four despite being ranked 10th in scoring for the league. I remember having a 'discussion' (read sledge) with CoverKing a few years ago because he had the points but I was winning the matches. Now the shoe is on the other foot for Richo who has made the Prelims despite not dominating in the week to week scoring this season.

Next week Richo Richo faces the formidable Hondo in a fixture that has been quite a rivalry in the Premier League over the years. Next week's match is the kicker though as Richo would be mighty stoked to knock off the number one and make the Grand Final. Benny Rolfs faces the Underdogs who are my tip for the flag this year even though Hondo looks the more consistent scorer. All the remaining teams are scoring well so there should be no 'REBCats' style blowout in this years Grand Final.

Game on.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:51 pm

Premier League Preliminary Finals Preview

1st Prelimnary Final – Hondo SCC vs. Richo Richo Man

Richo Richo Man is the latest team to stand between Hondo and Hogg glory and with a mere nine PODs in this match this one is going to go down to the wire even though both teams have tracked vastly different paths in order to get here. I think the key player in this match is Tom Rockliff. Rocky is the kind of player you don't want to see in the PODs list because he is often left to his own devices by opposition coaches so he can go really huge. I reckon the Cats will tag Rich instead because Rich's possessions are more likely to hurt you as his kicks are quite penetrating. It just so happens that Hondo has Rich as well as Bartel who was well down last week.

As for Richo he is carrying a couple of key forwards in Kennedy and Franklin that can get you choccies or boiled lollies. Richo also has Ollie Wines whose form has improved but he isn't the type to rely on given his low disposal efficiency. Richo says he has trades up his sleeve, I wonder if Hondo does because on paper this one is almost impossible to pick.

So in the end, I'm going with the form team of the season and not the team on the late season run.

My tip – Hondo SCC

2nd Preliminary Final – Underdogs vs. Ben Rolfsburgers

I've been keen on the Underdogs for many weeks as the Premier League Premier this year but looking a that the two teams I'm thinking that the Rolfs can storm into this week's Grand Final. The best way to tip Premier League games at this stage is to look for possible weaknesses. The Rolfs only weakness is Hunter and if he's your weak link then that's a darn good side. Sharksta's Underdogs are no slouch but Greene, Rich, Ward, Sidebottom, Gibson and Tom Mitchell have the ability to produce the odd clunker..although they all could go big as well.

With a more solid looking side I think the Rolfs may just edge the Underdogs here.

My tip - Ben Rolfsburgers

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:02 pm

By trades I mean one trade! Bartel out that helps my cause. Hopefully Hondo is tradeless
CoverKing
Coach

Postby Sharksta » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Fingers crossed REB I've done much better all year when you've tipped against me
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 476 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 pm

Sharksta wrote:Fingers crossed REB I've done much better all year when you've tipped against me

Just like everyone else!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:00 pm

Massive boilover as Richo Richo Man has eliminated Hondo. Minor Premier is GAWN.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby CoverKing » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:23 pm

It's like the showdown REB with Hondo and I. No matter where on the ladder we are, it's always a close game. Finally got one back on him in finals though. Think it's the first time I've beaten him in a finals match
CoverKing
Coach

Postby Q. » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Boy oh boy wowee
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Hondo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:59 am

Well done CoverKing

I stuffed myself up having 4 trades and had to burn 2 so of course I trade Wells to Buddy and lose 98 points!

Plus Dahl and Greene messed up v Kennedy and Wells who I had until this week

I stuffed up both this and the Elite league with that buddy trade
Hondo
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Hondo wrote:Well done CoverKing

I stuffed myself up having 4 trades and had to burn 2 so of course I trade Wells to Buddy and lose 98 points!

Plus Dahl and Greene messed up v Kennedy and Wells who I had until this week

I stuffed up both this and the Elite league with that buddy trade

Strange move that one, Buddy in Tasmania. Ballsy, but strange.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL  Fantasy/Tipping Footy