Drugs, umps and other ammo's news

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Drugs, umps and other ammo's news

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:44 pm

It's a real tough one to comprehend. I've played on the said bloke a couple times over the years and seen him play many other games. He is not the sort of bloke I'd picture for this behaviou, I've spoken to a few other blokes on Sunday from 2 other clubs and their reactions were stunned, they had the exact same opinion I had. It's not like he's a 23 year old kid where everyone comes out to defend him, this blokes got the best part of 20 years backing that statement in the league. It's hard to know what to feel/think because you can't tolerate it. Hope both him and the umpire get the help they need going forward.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:58 pm

Suri wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
oldman wrote:Stripping the club of its points would actually have a massive effect as it could mean possible relegation for them being so late in the season. That would send a pretty strong message that the league has zero tolerance for such behaviour?

Considering this same club had a player suspended in the finals last season for striking with an elbow which resulted in a broken jaw and the suspended player being deregistered due to too many suspensions........maybe the message isn't getting through??

I fail to see how a forced relegation benefits anyone, it doesn't help opposition clubs who have to front them after being very competitive in div. 5 and generally being around the mark, it doesn't help the league with potential lop-sided results and I don't see how Rosewater could be held accountable in this instance.
Sure, a strong message needs to be sent, any punishment on the club going forward will not hinder the player in question, it's unlikely that he'll play again and at a guess he probably wouldn't be spending too much time around the club in the near future.

I would think that consistent situations of violence from players of the same club would warrant them losing points i.e. over 3 years the same club continue to have players suspended for striking, which could leave the League thinking that the club isn't doing enough to stamp out the violence and they decide to take points from said club. Don't the league send a letter to clubs if they continue to have players being suspended asking what the club is doing to rectify this?

Same would apply to consistent situations of umpire abuse. In just over 12 months Rosewater have had one player suspended for 4 weeks for abusive language to an umpire, another player suspended for 6 weeks for using language towards an umpire and now the incident last Saturday. I'm sure those clubs who have been put on probation or docked points will be interested to see if Rosewater are held to account.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:24 pm

Wouldn't that put Rosewater on the same probation as Salisbury North etc starting next season? Would be harsh to dock points when the club wasn't under any league specified guidelines like other clubs have been in who have been recently docked points..

That said, yes its extenuating circumstances. I think the expected life ban for the player and Rosewater begin 2017 under the same probation guidelines that clubs such as Salisbury North have been under recently is the logical outcome..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:55 pm

human_torpedo wrote:Wouldn't that put Rosewater on the same probation as Salisbury North etc starting next season? Would be harsh to dock points when the club wasn't under any league specified guidelines like other clubs have been in who have been recently docked points..

That said, yes its extenuating circumstances. I think the expected life ban for the player and Rosewater begin 2017 under the same probation guidelines that clubs such as Salisbury North have been under recently is the logical outcome..

You may be right. However, I would think if the League apply a probation to Rosewater it would be effective immediately, rather than from the beginning of next season.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby human_torpedo » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:18 am

Yeh that would be fair also. My point being that stripping of points at this time of season and effectively relegating them would be harsh on the club for an incident. An immediate probation would also be a fair outcome
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am

human_torpedo wrote:Yeh that would be fair also. My point being that stripping of points at this time of season and effectively relegating them would be harsh on the club for an incident. An immediate probation would also be a fair outcome

Time of the season should have no bearing on the result - if they were on sanctions that included loss of points then whether it be Rd 1 or Rd 18 that's what happens - if it affects finals and relegation well that's obviously unfortunate but rules are rules I guess.

Salisbury & Ingle Farm U18's lost I think it was 8pts the other year 3x games out from finals after a brawl, both missed the finals because of it.. Just got to suck it up.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3193 times
Been liked: 4005 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am

Zartan wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Yeh that would be fair also. My point being that stripping of points at this time of season and effectively relegating them would be harsh on the club for an incident. An immediate probation would also be a fair outcome

Time of the season should have no bearing on the result - if they were on sanctions that included loss of points then whether it be Rd 1 or Rd 18 that's what happens - if it affects finals and relegation well that's obviously unfortunate but rules are rules I guess.

Salisbury & Ingle Farm U18's lost I think it was 8pts the other year 3x games out from finals after a brawl, both missed the finals because of it.. Just got to suck it up.

We are not on any sanction/probation however that doesn't mean they wont deduct points.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:17 am

Mr Beefy wrote:We are not on any sanction/probation however that doesn't mean they wont deduct points.

Well then may be nothing to worry about! :D

Might get lucky with the punishment - didn't an Eastern Pk bloke headbutt an umpire either this pre-season or last and knock a tooth out and only get half a dozen games?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:21 am

There needs to be some sort of monumental penalty applied here if the allegations are true. A "life ban" for someone who perhaps only had a couple of seasons left anyway as the only punishment sets a dangerous precedent.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:22 am

morell wrote:There needs to be some sort of monumental penalty applied here if the allegations are true. A "life ban" for someone who perhaps only had a couple of seasons left anyway as the only punishment sets a dangerous precedent.

AKA the Alastair Lynch Rule.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1199 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Tiger83 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:25 am

morell wrote:There needs to be some sort of monumental penalty applied here if the allegations are true. A "life ban" for someone who perhaps only had a couple of seasons left anyway as the only punishment sets a dangerous precedent.

Does a 'life ban' not also include being able to hold a coaching position or any other position involved in game day operations ( runner etc)?? If it doesn't, it should!
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:27 am

Tiger83 wrote:Does a 'life ban' not also include being able to hold a coaching position or any other position involved in game day operations ( runner etc)?? If it doesn't, it should!

Don't think they can be involved in an official capacity until the suspension/ban is over - so if he gets 16 games and life ban, he can return to coaching/runner etc after 16 games, but can not play again.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby carey » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:39 am

Zartan wrote:
Tiger83 wrote:Does a 'life ban' not also include being able to hold a coaching position or any other position involved in game day operations ( runner etc)?? If it doesn't, it should!

Don't think they can be involved in an official capacity until the suspension/ban is over - so if he gets 16 games and life ban, he can return to coaching/runner etc after 16 games, but can not play again.

I'm not so sure about that as I know others that have been issued life bans and are not allowed to step foot on the oval.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:40 am

Zartan wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:We are not on any sanction/probation however that doesn't mean they wont deduct points.

Well then may be nothing to worry about! :D

Might get lucky with the punishment - didn't an Eastern Pk bloke headbutt an umpire either this pre-season or last and knock a tooth out and only get half a dozen games?

Eastern Park player was given 10 weeks for making contact with an umpire early in season 2015......I don't think he head butted the umpire.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 am

carey wrote:
Zartan wrote:

I'm not so sure about that as I know others that have been issued life bans and are not allowed to step foot on the oval.

Unfortunately not, because your mate was still allowed to be a runner at Westies
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:56 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:Eastern Park player was given 10 weeks for making contact with an umpire early in season 2015......I don't think he head butted the umpire.
Did lose a tooth though - think discussion at the time was whether it was deliberate or not, in the end reckless collision the verdict.

AN amateur footballer has been suspended for 10 weeks after knocking out an umpire’s tooth during a “reckless” on-field collision.
The Adelaide Football League’s tribunal last night found Eastern Park player Anton Railey guilty of making careless contact with an umpire during the fourth quarter of a division four game against Hectorville at Daly Oval on Saturday.
Eastern Park is planning to appeal the decision within 48 hours.
The tribunal banned Railey for 12 games, though two have been suspended.
It takes his career match bans to 11 games and leaves him on the brink of a league life ban.
The league bans players for life once they are banned for 12 or more matches.
League chief executive John Kernahan said umpires were sacrosanct.
“He’s copped the lower end of the penalty with respect to making contact with an umpire, only because it was considered reckless,” Kernahan said.
“Had it have been deliberate it would have been a lot more.”
Kernahan said Railey and the umpire slammed heads after a ball-up in the centre square.
The umpires then sent Railey off.
Kernahan confirmed the umpire involved in the clash with Railey lost a tooth.
Eastern Park officials would not comment on the incident, pending the possible appeal.
The decision comes less than two years after the league banned former Port Adelaide Power rookie Callum Hay for nine games for making contact with an umpire while playing for Salisbury North in a division one grand final replay.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:45 pm

I think you will find there is a difference between being given a 'life ban' and being 'deregistered' for the 16 game suspension limit

A life ban excludes them from being involved in any official capacity ever

A de registration just means they can't ever be registered as a player
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:05 pm

The league de-registration is 12 games - this means they can still play in other leagues.

The AFL limit is 16 games - break that and you don't play AFL anywhere again.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:13 pm

Footy Chick wrote:The AFL limit is 16 games - break that and you don't play AFL anywhere again.

This statement that AFL is a game really grinds my gears. AFL is the league. Australian Football is the game.....but carry on ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Footy Chick wrote:The league de-registration is 12 games - this means they can still play in other leagues.

The AFL limit is 16 games - break that and you don't play AFL anywhere again.

You can only play AFL in the AFL. :?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League