The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby tipper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:32 am

Dutchy wrote:
Sadismo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
csbowes wrote:Well I see Sturt FC was on CH7 espousing how great it is to have the AFL reserves teams in the league.

The GM commented that people should watch they wish for with regards the AFL teams going, as it would hurt the league significantly.

Marty Mattner was also on saying how it makes the teams better etc.

So clear that Sturt's position has not changed since voting yes. They are obviously a massive supporter of their presence and also commented on the $100K they are getting each year for their presence. I didn't think they got $100K, but that's what the GM said.

Well Sturt is the only club that has their debt guaranteed by the SANFL so they need to stay in their good books

Absolutely not true that Sturt had their debt guaranteed by SANFL. They traded out of their financial woes through the debt demolition campaign, benefactors and hard work by board and management. The only thing the SANFL did was advance their distribution for two months so as they could pay long term creditors. SANFL categorically did not or have not provided the club with an extra cent period.

I can categorically guarantee they did, do I need to prove it?

that and the sanfl acting as a guarantor for the club, and the sanfl giving the club money are two different things. acting as a guarantor only means they pay the money if the club eventually folds completely, which they havent, yet
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:49 am

Dutchy never said anything about them giving Sturt money.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:33 pm

tipper wrote:
that and the sanfl acting as a guarantor for the club, and the sanfl giving the club money are two different things. acting as a guarantor only means they pay the money if the club eventually folds completely, which they havent, yet

Guarantee provides much more exposure and risk to the SANFL, at the time the debt was over $2m.

It just shows how close Sturt were to the brink that the SANFL had to offer a guarantee for their debt.

Yet my understanding is they haven't done this for any other club that has had its issues (North, Glenelg, West)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby tipper » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Dutchy wrote:
tipper wrote:

Guarantee provides much more exposure and risk to the SANFL, at the time the debt was over $2m.

It just shows how close Sturt were to the brink that the SANFL had to offer a guarantee for their debt.

Yet my understanding is they haven't done this for any other club that has had its issues (North, Glenelg, West)

absolutely. im not disagreeing with you Dutchy, just pointing out where sadsimo might have his wires crossed.

and it is also my understanding that the sanfl havent done the same for any other club
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby therisingblues » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:09 pm

Aerie wrote:Heard discussion on 5AA this morning and disappointing they were comparing stats to the year before the AFL sides came in. This was the worst year of crowds up to that point and many SANFL fans were disrupted that year by all the discussion - which probably contributed in some way to the poor turn outs that year as well.

Sturt are a positive club at the moment. Good on them, it is working on and off the field. But trying to say anything positive about the inclusion of AFL teams to the competition and the positive impact of the AFL to anything to do with the league is pulling the other one. Especially with the benefit of hindsight, which we now have.

For those who don't understand, you only have to think about how you'd feel if the AFL competition was compromised to the extent the SANFL has been. Then understand that there are/were people who prioritised their SANFL clubs over anything else. These people were treated like a joke. Hence the drop off.

Agree. I remember the events from 2013 pretty well. Crowds and interest dropped in accordance with the reserves debate. I think one of the factors that binds most of us to the SANFL, which is that it's mainly about the football and not the circus, was nullified by the politicking happening in that year.
I'll forever hate the Crows for it. Their stop at nothing attitude to get their practice squad in showed complete disregard for the fabric of our beautiful competition.
A real drop in interest occurred when port began circumventing the rules, and transferring AFL listed reserves to the Magpies' squad. From that point on less was spoken about footy, and discussion about reserves, and how pissed off everyone was dominated this board. Crowds took a hit also. Posters commented at the time hoe disruptive those events were for season 2013.
Very ironic the AFL types ate now using it as a standard rep for SANFL crowds.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Sadismo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:39 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Sadismo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
csbowes wrote:Well I see Sturt FC was on CH7 espousing how great it is to have the AFL reserves teams in the league.

The GM commented that people should watch they wish for with regards the AFL teams going, as it would hurt the league significantly.

Marty Mattner was also on saying how it makes the teams better etc.

So clear that Sturt's position has not changed since voting yes. They are obviously a massive supporter of their presence and also commented on the $100K they are getting each year for their presence. I didn't think they got $100K, but that's what the GM said.

Well Sturt is the only club that has their debt guaranteed by the SANFL so they need to stay in their good books

Absolutely not true that Sturt had their debt guaranteed by SANFL. They traded out of their financial woes through the debt demolition campaign, benefactors and hard work by board and management. The only thing the SANFL did was advance their distribution for two months so as they could pay long term creditors. SANFL categorically did not or have not provided the club with an extra cent period.

I can categorically guarantee they did.

Do it then Dutchy because you will only make yourself look foolish. I was present at the meeting when SFC went to the SANFL with hand on heart. Sturt got themselves out of the mess because of the reasons above and that alone. Sure they wanted SANFL to help but that was not and has never been the case.
Sadismo
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sadismo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
tipper wrote:

The SANFL did not give money and also did not act as guarantor for Sturt's debt. That debt would have landed in the laps of the Directors had the Club gone under.
Sadismo
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Spargo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:53 pm

Sadismo, your posts remind me of a poster who's gone missing of late - I just can't seem to recall his name...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Reddeer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Seems there is another troll on board this topic!!!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:27 pm

Sadismo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tipper wrote:

The SANFL did not give money and also did not act as guarantor for Sturt's debt. That debt would have landed in the laps of the Directors had the Club gone under.

You do realise you're saying the Sturt football club lied in their financial report to their members 3 or 4 years ago. Big call mate, hardly something a fan of the club would do.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Sadismo wrote:
Do it then Dutchy because you will only make yourself look foolish. I was present at the meeting when SFC went to the SANFL with hand on heart. Sturt got themselves out of the mess because of the reasons above and that alone. Sure they wanted SANFL to help but that was not and has never been the case.

Page 15 of the 2011 Sturt FC Financial Report below, who is foolish now?

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:02 am

Can't believe that anyone would try to argue otherwise. It was widely reported in the media at the time that the SANFL would go guarantor for the loans....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:26 am

Some mothers do 'ave em!
I think it would be a new record making three posts and being wrong three times.
100%!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby UK Fan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:51 am

Sadismo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
tipper wrote:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dogs72 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:29 pm

Hmmm with sadismos statements made inferring they were backed by facts, is he really;

A) steven trigg
B) rob chapman
C) Keith thomas
D) john Olsen
E) Tripodi
F) David burtenshaw
G) Pinocchio?
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times

Postby Spargo » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Dogs72 wrote:Hmmm with sadismos statements made inferring they were backed by facts, is he really;

A) steven trigg
B) rob chapman
C) Keith thomas
D) john Olsen
E) Tripodi
F) David burtenshaw
G) Pinocchio?

Or...
H) Bounce of the ball
(aka)
I) AFL-SA
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5459 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:46 pm

Big Phil is normally the one that starts the live scores thread, havnt had it for quite awhile and only on a few occasions this year.
The cynic in me tells me he has been told not to start them to boost online numbers in other areas ;)

I for one cant be assed finding it elsewhere and dont care that much that I have to find out the scores, i just get them as they filter through in the match threads, sometimes this can take a day or so. This is what the comp has become
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:50 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Big Phil is normally the one that starts the live scores thread, havnt had it for quite awhile and only on a few occasions this year.
The cynic in me tells me he has been told not to start them to boost online numbers in other areas ;)

I for one cant be assed finding it elsewhere and dont care that much that I have to find out the scores, i just get them as they filter through in the match threads, sometimes this can take a day or so. This is what the comp has become

Yep, interest at an all time low.
One of the smallest crowds I've seen at the Parade today
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogs72 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:29 pm

Jim05 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Big Phil is normally the one that starts the live scores thread, havnt had it for quite awhile and only on a few occasions this year.

Yep, interest at an all time low.
One of the smallest crowds I've seen at the Parade today

So what? There were two posts on Instagram, 100 hits on the SANFL website, and five "tweets", all up 200%. Adding x amount of revenue to clubs, all is grand, nothing to see here.
Dogs72
Rookie

Has liked: 43 times

Postby VALE PARK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:28 pm

More Glenelg seconds people at the NA Crows game than Crows people at the league game?
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL