R12 - Glenelg v Sturt @ Glenelg Sunday

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R12 - Glenelg v Sturt @ Glenelg Sunday

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:32 pm

GLENELG
Glenelg could elevate former Magpie Jack Haarsma to play his first IGA League match for the club against Sturt at Gliderol Stadium on Sunday.
Haarsma – who crossed to Brighton Road during summer with close mate Ben Sawford – has banked two strong performances in the Reserves in the past fortnight.
The 20-year-old – who measures in at 177cm and 73kg – played four League matches for Port, including last year’s dramatic Round 17 win against the Bays in which he kicked the sealing goal.
Haarsma has been joined by midfielder Lachlan Earl, wingman Brad Merrett and utility Max Proud in the 23-man squad.
Key defender Michael Galley and midfielder Bryce Woolard have been sent back to the Reserves after the Tigers’ 74-point loss to North on Monday.

League
F: Rioli, Milera, B. Merrett
HF: Koster, Scott, Snook
C: McFarlane, Sawford, Sumner
HB: Joseph, Sellar, Nicholson
B: Proud, Agnew, Howard

R: McGinty, Johansen, Woodall
INT: Raikiwasa, Haarsma, Earl, Reinbrecht, Alleway
IN: Earl, B. Merrett, Proud, Haarsma
OUT: Galley, Woolard

Reserves
B. Edwards, Boyle, Chalmers, Christopher, Galley, Hampton, Hill, Hosie, J. Edwards, J. Pitt, Kennedy, Kirkby, Kenny, M. Merrett, May, Montgomery, Trembath, Vitkunas, Redden, Woolard, Yates.

STURT
Sturt is likely to take an unchanged outfit into its game against Glenelg at Gliderol Stadium on Sunday.
Currently enjoying an eight-game winning streak under coach Martin Mattner, the Double Blues have included James Paprotny and Brad Coulson on their five-man extended interchange bench.
But Mattner appears unlikely to make any adjustment to his settled side, which accounted for Port Adelaide at Alberton in Round 11.
Sturt currently sits at the top of the IGA League ladder, one match clear of its closest rivals Woodville-West Torrens and South Adelaide.

League
F: Hansen, M. Evans, Greenslade
HF: Hone, K. Beard, Martin
C: Crocker, Riley, Jonas
HB: Page, Stephens, P. Wilson
B: McMahon, F. Evans, Harms

R: Gilfoy, Battersby, Kirkwood
INT: Lienert, Coulson, Parrella, Paprotny, Wildman
IN: Paprotny, Coulson

Reserves
Campbell, Carey, Coombe, Coombes, Elms, Gamble, Habljak, Hargreaves, Haren, Hayden, Hayes, Langridge, Musolino, Penfold, Powell, Samblich, Stark, Telford, Thiele, Voigt, Wiech, Young.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2328 times
Been liked: 3529 times

Re: R12 - Glenelg v Sturt @ Glenelg Sunday

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:13 am

Should be Sturt comfortably, but the Bay's will be fired up.
Double Blues in a closer one that might be expected
Sturt by 15-20 points
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby matt35 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:26 pm

Agree jtc. Glenelg over the last year and a half have generally not played two absolute shockers in a row, and last week sure fell in to that category. There'll be a response, but I just can't see it being enough to beat a very well drilled, well coached Sturt side.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby therisingblues » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 am

I'd wager that Glenelg were possibly more concerned about preparing for Sturt this week, than actually playing North last week. Their record this year shows North seems to be the major aberration, form is not bad otherwise. Knocking off the top side tomorrow would be great propaganda for the struggling Tigers and they are definitely capable. Sturt need to beware of the wounded Tiger, I suspect an ambush and a win to Glenelg if Sturt bring anything other than our "A" game tomorrow.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:47 pm

therisingblues wrote:I'd wager that Glenelg were possibly more concerned about preparing for Sturt this week, than actually playing North last week. Their record this year shows North seems to be the major aberration, form is not bad otherwise. Knocking off the top side tomorrow would be great propaganda for the struggling Tigers and they are definitely capable. Sturt need to beware of the wounded Tiger, I suspect an ambush and a win to Glenelg if Sturt bring anything other than our "A" game tomorrow.

I'm sure after we smashed them the first time they would have been plenty concerned about North the second time around.
Glenelg are very ordinary and easily the worst coached side I've seen since we had McGregor. They have no clue how to handle North's spread.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2052 times
Been liked: 3899 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Sturt did enough without setting the world on fire.
Mark Evans was on my hitlist after round 1 but ever since then he has been fantastic.
I can c Lienert being on an AFL list in the very near future as he reads the play unbelievably well.
Brodie Martin played like his life depended on it today and Kirkwood and Beard were at there best once again.
Seemed like a few senior Glenelg players minds were not on the job and you expect more out of guys like Christian Howard (who looked like he didn't want to be out there), Tim Sumner, Willie Rioli and Aaron Joseph but the consolation for the bays was they had enough scoring shots and enough of the play to suggest this result on another day could have gone their way
R.I.P. Patrice Lumumba 1925 - 1961
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby therisingblues » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:08 pm

FINAL SCORE

Glenelg 2.2-14 4.8-32 4.12-36 7.17-59
Sturt 4.2-26 7.4-46 12.5-77 13.8-86

Glenelg
Goal Kickers: J. Scott 3, R. McFARLANE 2, T. Milera, W. Rioli
Best Players: M. Proud, J. Woodall, J. Scott, R. McFARLANE, M. Snook, C. Howard

Sturt
Goal Kickers: K. Beard 4, M. Evans 3, R. Gilfoy 2, J. Greenslade 2, P. Wilson, A. Riley
Best Players: Z. Kirkwood, A. Riley, T. Harms, F. Evans, J. Lienert, S. Jonas

Anyone know the crowd figure?
Last edited by therisingblues on Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:12 pm

therisingblues wrote:FINAL SCORE
Sturt 13:8-86
Glenelg 7:17-59

Anyone know the crowd figure?

Wedgie