Euros 2016

The World Game

Re: Euros 2016

Postby Wedgie » Sun May 29, 2016 1:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:I'm still unsure as to who you think you are arguing against. All I said was I thought we held our own but our finishing wasn't great. You are agreeing with me and yet still trying to find a way to argue?

I didn't address that point, I said we were much better ten years ago and you seemed to take exception with that which was discussed further. No arguments, just discussion on a sports forum.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Sun May 29, 2016 10:38 pm

Wedgie wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I'm still unsure as to who you think you are arguing against. All I said was I thought we held our own but our finishing wasn't great. You are agreeing with me and yet still trying to find a way to argue?

I didn't address that point, I said we were much better ten years ago and you seemed to take exception with that which was discussed further. No arguments, just discussion on a sports forum.

We were better 10 years ago but we are currently better than we were 20 odd years ago when we couldn't even beat Iran in World Cup qualifiers but are now the champions of Asia

The national side isn't a complete indication of what state the game is in the country.

Whether we like the A-League or not the game is in the best state it's been in our countries history and has an extremely bright future which hasn't always been the case especially in the dark late 90's of the NSL when clubs like Carlton and Collingwood were running around in front of 1k crowds
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Sun May 29, 2016 10:52 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

We were better 10 years ago but we are currently better than we were 20 odd years ago when we couldn't even beat Iran in World Cup qualifiers but are now the champions of Asia

The national side isn't a complete indication of what state the game is in the country.

Whether we like the A-League or not the game is in the best state it's been in our countries history and has an extremely bright future which hasn't always been the case especially in the dark late 90's of the NSL when clubs like Carlton and Collingwood were running around in front of 1k crowds

A little harsh on the team 20 years ago. Back then only 3.5 spots were given to Asia for memory and Iran finished second in their group and then lost the playoff for auto entry against the Saudis which put them against us. Iran were ranked inside the top 40 in the World at the time and they actually played ok in France.
Agree that the A-League is better run and in a better shape than the NSL was but don't think the standard is better
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty hounds » Mon May 30, 2016 9:13 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

A little harsh on the team 20 years ago. Back then only 3.5 spots were given to Asia for memory and Iran finished second in their group and then lost the playoff for auto entry against the Saudis which put them against us. Iran were ranked inside the top 40 in the World at the time and they actually played ok in France.
Agree that the A-League is better run and in a better shape than the NSL was but don't think the standard is better

I thought it was the young Harry Kewell show back in that qualifier against Iran?
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon May 30, 2016 9:40 am

We were actually undefeated in the 1997 Qualifying matches.
Unbelievable crowds for the Iran games too.
Something like 223,000 total for the two games.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Mon May 30, 2016 10:21 am

Jim05 wrote:
whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Yep, I'd agree with Jims assessment .. Still spewing we blew that 2 goal lead at the G, should never have lost that game :twisted:
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 am

Wedgie wrote:We were actually undefeated in the 1997 Qualifying matches.
Unbelievable crowds for the Iran games too.
Something like 223,000 total for the two games.

Yep was at the return leg and still have nightmares about it. If I ever saw that Peter Hoare bloke in the street I'd kick him fair square in the jatz[emoji35]
Jim05
Coach

Postby RB » Mon May 30, 2016 1:07 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Did you watch that game? We missed five absolute sitters in the first ten minutes. We dominated them everywhere except for on the scoreboard. Even the Iran coach acknowledged that we should have been going to France.

1997 v Iran (2nd leg): Bosnich, Moore, Lazaridis, Horvat, Tobin, Zelic, Slater, Foster, Viduka, A. Vidmar, Kewell.

2016 v England: Ryan, Milligan, Risdon, Wright, Kruse, Mooy, Smith, Jedinak, Luongo, Rogic, McLaren.

We were clearly a better team from around 1995-2008ish than we are now.

Having said that, I lean more towards the view that this was just a golden generation of players rather than evidence that the NSL was better for player development than the A-League. I mean, for fifteen or so years after the formation of the NSL we had a relatively ordinary national team.

Folks claim that the NSL was better for development. Perhaps the fact that 150+ Australian players were starting every week compared to approximately half that nowadays allowed for younger players to get more opportunities (although they were part time in the NSL). The NSL was by no means of a better standard overall, although there was always a significant difference between the top and bottom teams, bigger than there is now in the A-League (with the possible exception of the Mariners this year).

I agree though that the best way for young Australian soccer players to develop into world class players is for them to go to Europe, provided that they are actually playing - there's no point in signing for Ajax or someone only to sit on the bench or play in the reserves every week.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:34 am

ENGLAND’S FINAL 23-MAN SQUAD

Goalkeepers: 1 Joe Hart (Manchester City), 13 Fraser Forster (Southampton), 23 Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: 2 Kyle Walker (Tottenham), 3 Danny Rose (Tottenham), 5 Gary Cahill (Chelsea), 6 Chris Smalling (Manchester United), 12 Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), 16 John Stones (Everton), 21 Ryan Bertrand (Southampton).

Midfielders: 4 James Milner (Liverpool), 7 Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), 8 Adam Lallana (Liverpool), 14 Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), 17 Eric Dier (Tottenham), 18 Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), 19 Ross Barkley (Everton), 20 Dele Alli (Tottenham).

Forwards: 9 Harry Kane (Tottenham), 10 Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), 11 Jamie Vardy (Leicester), 15 Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), 22 Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:53 am

Gee that would have to be one of the worst squads ever for England. Will get slaughtered in the middle
Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:54 am

Jim05 wrote:Gee that would have to be one of the worst squads ever for England. Will get slaughtered in the middle

Yep. Those 3 Liverpool lads are vulnerable at club level, hate to think how it could pan out on the international stage.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:05 pm

compare with Ozil, Kroos, Schweinsteiger (with Schurrle Khederia Gotze and others as backup)

Or Payet Pogba Matuidi
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby jakovasaurus » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:compare with Ozil, Kroos, Schweinsteiger (with Schurrle Khederia Gotze and others as backup)

Or Payet Pogba Matuidi

Did Schweinsteiger make their final squad??

If he did that's ridiculous. And if he's starting, well the Germans ain't winning.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:00 pm

says awaiting confirmation on UEFA.com so i guess he could be left out still

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 1.00.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 1.00.06 PM.png (81.58 KiB) Viewed 351 times
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RB » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:ENGLAND’S FINAL 23-MAN SQUAD

Goalkeepers: 1 Joe Hart (Manchester City), 13 Fraser Forster (Southampton), 23 Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: 2 Kyle Walker (Tottenham), 3 Danny Rose (Tottenham), 5 Gary Cahill (Chelsea), 6 Chris Smalling (Manchester United), 12 Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), 16 John Stones (Everton), 21 Ryan Bertrand (Southampton).

Midfielders: 4 James Milner (Liverpool), 7 Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), 8 Adam Lallana (Liverpool), 14 Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), 17 Eric Dier (Tottenham), 18 Jack Wilshere (Arsenal), 19 Ross Barkley (Everton), 20 Dele Alli (Tottenham).

Forwards: 9 Harry Kane (Tottenham), 10 Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), 11 Jamie Vardy (Leicester), 15 Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), 22 Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

Good forwards, but apart from that easily the worst England team on paper going into a major tournament.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:says awaiting confirmation on UEFA.com so i guess he could be left out still

Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 1.00.06 PM.png

Has missed a stack of football through injury, big risk taking him to France
Jim05
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:35 am

Full marks to Harry Kane for getting up and playing on after copping a boot to the head in a friendly which got the Portuguese player a red. Most soccer players would have writhed around like they'd been shot for much less.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby westozfalcon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Following the England v Portugal game last night hopefully Roy Hodgson will abandon the idea of building a formation around Wayne Rooney.

Rooney's had his day. It's time to let Kane and Vardy work together unencumbered.

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got" Henry Ford
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:47 am

The French finally put one into the back of the net
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JK » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:01 am

Payet gets it done again, what a player
FUSC
JK
Coach