wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans

Postby stan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:15 pm

RB wrote:As a Swans fan, it's most satisfying to see guys like Kennedy, Mattner, McGlynn, Richards etc. do well after being surplus to requirements at other teams.

I think you guys have done well in that area.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Reckon Sydney have been the best "recyclers" for a long time. Players like Lockett, Roos and Schwass came as established stars, but Hall, Bolton, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Richards, Maxfield etc really found new levels with the Swans.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RB » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:37 pm

Throw in Jolly, Schauble, Paul Williams, Jason Ball, and Nick Davis.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby stan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:44 pm

JK wrote:Reckon Sydney have been the best "recyclers" for a long time. Players like Lockett, Roos and Schwass came as established stars, but Hall, Bolton, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Richards, Maxfield etc really found new levels with the Swans.

I dont think Lockett was anymore "recycled" than Buddy and Tippett were.
stan
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:23 pm

RB wrote:Throw in Jolly, Schauble, Paul Williams, Jason Ball, and Nick Davis.

Yeah knew there were others, would guess there still is.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:23 pm

stan wrote:
JK wrote:Reckon Sydney have been the best "recyclers" for a long time. Players like Lockett, Roos and Schwass came as established stars, but Hall, Bolton, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Richards, Maxfield etc really found new levels with the Swans.

Yeah I kinda said that mate
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:39 pm

JK wrote:
stan wrote:

Yeah I kinda said that mate

Sorry mate, tired as **** today.
stan
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:46 pm

JK wrote:
RB wrote:Throw in Jolly, Schauble, Paul Williams, Jason Ball, and Nick Davis.

Yeah knew there were others, would guess there still is.

Matner...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3035 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:04 pm

Tony Armstrong :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:13 am

bennymacca wrote:Tony Armstrong :)

They improved him and then passed him onto Collingwood....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:18 am

heater31 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Tony Armstrong :)

They improved him and then passed him onto Collingwood....

And Collingwood unfortunately took Jesse White from us too

:lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:40 pm

I tell you what, you have an incredible player in Heeney. I said to a few mates at the game to watch out for this guy he will tear it up. Very smart player for his age and experience and a very good pair of hands overhead.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:40 am

Someone wrote this from swans fan page, thought it was pretty good

SWANS QUIETLY BUILDING FOR FLAG TILT:

How times are changing! Belief is back and not just amongst the supporters. Until yesterday afternoon the Sydney Swans were still struggling for believers. By full-time their start-of-season premiership odd's had been halved. Sydney now sit behind a tiring Hawthorn as equal second favourite (with West Coast) for the flag at $6.00.

While there's a long way to go, many were wanting to see how Sydney faired against a top 4 team. Well they passed. Even against the Adelaide Crows, they passed.

The scary part about the Swans for opposition teams is the improvement that's still to come. And they improve in games, by the game. John Longmire is one helluva coach - sign him long term!

Yesterday as Sydney foiled an attempted hold up by the West Coast Eagles, the Swans had a shaky start to the game. The Eagles turned up at the SCG planning to stage a siege. The first quarter was a "stick up".

The Eagles wanted to take the game on their terms by holding Sydney up in their forward 50. The problem for them was the Swans have two of the best (under appreciated) code breakers in the business - Ted Richards and Heath Grundy. It was a stunning defensive display.

The Swans were brain fading out of defence, looking a bit rattled. And then the rain came.

Richards played with the form that seen him earn All-Australian selection. Grundy was brilliant, virtually snuffing out the Eagles Josh Kennedy, who looked threatening at times. Marc LeCras and Jack Darling were effectively null and void.

While Richards stole the show yesterday, his goal did trigger the Swans into gear, again it was the ruck pair of Kurt Tippett and Callum Sinclair that helped turn the game Sydney's way. Their clearance work rate was first class.

The Swans Josh Kennedy had a day out, as did Dan Hannebery. Luke Parker is in Brownlow winning form. Remarkably Sydney's midfield is still not getting the respect it is demanding. Neither is the Swans forward pressure.

"The Avalanche" threatened to bury West Coast and by the second half, it all but did. Wayward kicking for goal by the Swans (a combo of misty eyes and the weather) stopped them from registering a bigger win.

The Swans could have kicked away to a much bigger win, with the final score flattering the Eagles. West Coast had become predictable.

George Hewett yesterday proved he belongs in the senior team. His presence of mind to just hover about is the final piece of the Swans forward puzzle. Never mind the dynamic duo of Isaac Heeney and Lance Franklin, it's the little terriers that are doing the damage. Tom Papley worked hard all game and Ben McGlynn keeps hanging in there.

Skipper Jarrad McVeigh also chipped in with timely goals.

At present Sydney are building nicely. The side is well balanced between a mixture of experience and inexperience. The Swans of 2016 remind me of a certain 1990's team.

In honour of Anzac Day I will code word the team I'm thinking of. That particular team was considered too young and inexperienced to make the finals, let alone go the distance and win an improbable flag - which they did. They also stunned the league by winning the minor premiership as well.

Meanwhile belief has returned for the Sydney Swans team in 2016 as well. They're playing with a quiet confidence, the team is looking like they're enjoying playing footy.

There is no reason why the Bloods can not go the distance this season - they're playing for each other. That alone makes them dangerous.

* ECHO SIERRA SIERRA ECHO NOVEMBER DELTA OSCAR NOVEMBER "BRAVO ALPHA BRAVO YANKEE" BRAVO OSCAR MIKE BRAVO ECHO ROMEO SIERRA *
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:42 pm

What a load of crap, Sydney not even on the same planet when it comes to age compared to 93 Essendon and they were given a chance to win the flag at the start of the year.
No surprise they are better without a certain flog in their team.

Im more than happy to play any team that has "footsteps"Grundy as a key defender.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1664 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:57 pm

daysofourlives wrote:What a load of crap, Sydney not even on the same planet when it comes to age compared to 93 Essendon and they were given a chance to win the flag at the start of the year.

Im more than happy to play any team that has "footsteps"Grundy as a key defender.

Another quality post by you..
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:06 pm

Essendon average age in the 1993 GF was 24y 106d

Sydney's current average age is 23.22 years old...

Some experts had the swans missing the 8
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:07 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:What a load of crap, Sydney not even on the same planet when it comes to age compared to 93 Essendon and they were given a chance to win the flag at the start of the year.

I thought so, pretty factual I wouldve thought, Hewett and Papley the only rookies how many did Essendon have?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:10 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

I thought so, pretty factual I wouldve thought, Hewett and Papley the only rookies how many did Essendon have?

Mills not a rookie?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:13 pm

sorry i knew i forgot one.

So that was Essendons GF side ave age, what was the sydney figure, im guessing its the entire lists average age not yesterdays team which is whats relevant
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:33 pm

daysofourlives wrote:sorry i knew i forgot one.

So that was Essendons GF side ave age, what was the sydney figure, im guessing its the entire lists average age not yesterdays team which is whats relevant

It was yesterday's average age
woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL