R3: Sturt v Centrals - Sunday 10 April @ Peter Motley Oval

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R3: Sturt v Centrals - Sunday 10 April @ Peter Motley Ov

Postby Jimmy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:55 pm

Groucho wrote:
bulldog2004 wrote:
Groucho wrote:Not that I wanted to hear it but does anyone know why Sturt didn't play their club song after their win today?

They did about 3 times

4 actually, I was being sarcastic.

Take it as a compliment.
Carn the blues!!!!!
Jimmy
Coach

Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Doddy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:26 pm

And they played some music over the PA about 5 mins from the end after they scored a goal. I wondered if it was something by Adele, or maybe the Weather Girls.
Doddy
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby therisingblues » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:48 pm

Doddy wrote:And they played some music over the PA about 5 mins from the end after they scored a goal. I wondered if it was something by Adele, or maybe the Weather Girls.

Really? I would prefer that they didn't do that if true. PA should only be used for announcements during footy games. Not for beefing up atmosphere, or telling the crowd when to cheer etc.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:25 am

Doddy wrote:And they played some music over the PA about 5 mins from the end after they scored a goal. I wondered if it was something by Adele, or maybe the Weather Girls.

I didn't notice that, although i was standing next to the Sturt cheer squad so was a fair distance away. btw the cheer squad are a funny bunch :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:32 am

Well we were terrible after the first quarter. Not sure if Sturt finally switched on or if we got ahead of ourselves and thought this footy thing is an easy game after thrashing North and then starting strong in the first quarter. Might be a good wake up call for a few of the new guys.

We went handball happy and couldn't execute the game plan because of Sturt's pressure. Sturt were happy to hold onto the ball and wait for a free player. We were trying too many handballs in tight and it didn't work. Thought Darcy Fort had a good game except his f***king kicking. After the first couple one of the smaller guys should have been running past for the handball. Sturt definitely targeted Habel and it worked. They got stuck into him before the siren and then pretty much kept him out of the game.

The highlight of the game for Central supporters was Rumbelow's mark.

The day was made worse by going home and watching Murphy get injured. The football Gods suck.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby another grub » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:55 am

How bad were the doggies after 1/4 time. I am in shock still
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 517 times
Been liked: 441 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:01 am

cennals05 wrote:Well we were terrible after the first quarter. Not sure if Sturt finally switched on or if we got ahead of ourselves and thought this footy thing is an easy game after thrashing North and then starting strong in the first quarter. Might be a good wake up call for a few of the new guys.

We went handball happy and couldn't execute the game plan because of Sturt's pressure. Sturt were happy to hold onto the ball and wait for a free player. We were trying too many handballs in tight and it didn't work. Thought Darcy Fort had a good game except his f***king kicking. After the first couple one of the smaller guys should have been running past for the handball. Sturt definitely targeted Habel and it worked. They got stuck into him before the siren and then pretty much kept him out of the game.

The highlight of the game for Central supporters was Rumbelow's mark.

The day was made worse by going home and watching Murphy get injured. The football Gods suck.

That was the big mark 15 metres out in front of goal wasn't it? Missed the set shot? That was a top grab
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:46 am

another grub wrote:How bad were the doggies after 1/4 time. I am in shock still

Perhaps it was Sturt who were really poor in the first term and lifted after 1/4 time?

Central went handball happy after 1/4 time but from what I could see, that was as a result of the pressure, sometime perceived, from Sturt...

Sturt were harder at the stoppages and it looks like the Dogs didn't respect that after the first change...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:59 am

cennals05 wrote:The highlight of the game for Central supporters was Rumbelow's mark.

mighty hounds wrote:That was the big mark 15 metres out in front of goal wasn't it? Missed the set shot? That was a top grab

Yep, that was the one...

Rumbelow will crash through the packs and take big marks like that, he has been renowned for doing that in the country...

His miss, from 25m out on the slightest of angles, was the last score of the opening term. He should have kicked it from there...

From what I saw of him in the Pre-Season, you could see that his disposal by foot was his biggest downfall...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Dog_ger2 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:42 pm

=D> Well done blues, I tipped against you. Well done guys.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Gozu » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:11 pm

Crowd 2,442
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby scott » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:17 pm

Big Phil wrote:
another grub wrote:How bad were the doggies after 1/4 time. I am in shock still

Perhaps it was Sturt who were really poor in the first term and lifted after 1/4 time?

Central went handball happy after 1/4 time but from what I could see, that was as a result of the pressure, sometime perceived, from Sturt...

Sturt were harder at the stoppages and it looks like the Dogs didn't respect that after the first change...

Good call regarding the handballs.
Attachments
STURTVCENTRALS.png
STURTVCENTRALS.png (11.87 KiB) Viewed 686 times
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:47 am

Well done, Sturt, a really good, affirming win on Sunday.
I watched most of the game - missed the good bits where we controlled the game, so didn't see us belt out to the lead.
However, the final three quarters, Sturt dominated us, gradually hauling back the margin.
Their pressure on the ball carrier was immense and really constricted our run.
But it was also the work further on down the field that blocked off kicking options and saw us running into roadblocks - prompting the handball happy passages already mentioned by other posters - that really influenced the result.
Unley's a unique oval, so it'll be interesting to see if the Blues can continue that style at other grounds.
However, if the Blues bring that intensity and work rate throughout the season, it's the brand of footy that can bring the ultimate success.

For the Dogs, I suspect the combination of a massive round one win and a nearly two week break between games played a part in our demise.
The fact we were able to hold onto the lead for so long, even though totally outplayed, was a small positive to take from the loss.
Hopefully, that listless last three quarters is out of the system now and with some consistent programming ahead, we can put some wins on the board.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby StrayDog » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:31 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Hopefully, that listless last three quarters is out of the system now and with some consistent programming ahead, we can put some wins on the board.

Consistent, well, after May perhaps. A couple more weeks off inside the next month and a half but a reasonable run after the state game.
(FWIW, call me fussy, but I'd personally have liked to see a smaller gap - than this year's mid season 11 week hole - between home matches against non-AFL sides.)

Yeah, anyway, as mentioned the 'Dogs seemed to get a pretty good start last Sunday. Purely academic now, but after good mid field work and / or personal effort, a seven (+) goal lead early in the second was gettable. Alas, two or three goals went begging while attacking the relatively narrow northern end of that ground with a slight breeze coming from the south-west. Rumbelow's miss has already been mentioned, but wasn't the only one. I'll leave it at that.

Nothing too unusual, for the 'Dogs anyway I reckon, about dominating the scoring despite being beaten in the centre breaks (as was the case even in the first quarter) but you've got to make the most of your opportunities. Well done to Sturt for getting their shite together and reminding us all those two premiership points each week should never be taken for granted.

Onward and forward.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1159 times
Been liked: 194 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL