Round 1, South v Glenelg (Good Friday @ Noarlunga)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 1, South v Glenelg (Good Friday @ Noarlunga)

Postby therisingblues » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:36 am

saintal wrote:SANFL have tweeted the crowd figures from today- 3859 @ Noarlunga and 4544 @ Elizabeth. Most feasible than the 9400 figure.

Perhaps the electronic scanners were playing up ;)

Both crowds together make 8,400.
Still, I think Good Friday is always their best crowd of the year, isn't it?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Panther Pack » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:25 am

therisingblues wrote:
saintal wrote:SANFL have tweeted the crowd figures from today- 3859 @ Noarlunga and 4544 @ Elizabeth. Most feasible than the 9400 figure.

Yeah Good Friday is always our biggest crowd. I thought it looked like 4500 but either way was a great atmosphere.

Great work by the club having the clubrooms opened the place was pumping after the game and the band was fantastic. Club would have made some good coin which is what we need.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby southee » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:49 am

Panther Pack wrote:
therisingblues wrote:

Yeah Good Friday is always our biggest crowd. I thought it looked like 4500 but either way was a great atmosphere.

Great work by the club having the clubrooms opened the place was pumping after the game and the band was fantastic. Club would have made some good coin which is what we need.

Must say the band were great. Stopped in the club for a drink after the game waiting for the cars to clear out.

Definitely a very successful day by the club.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby DOC » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:11 am

Just some comments on the game......

Glenelg have recruited well enough to make them a far better side than the last couple of years. They would appear to have also put plenty of time in the gym. There goal to goal line is probably going to be the bigggest in the league. Very surprised that Alleway was able to go all day with the amount of running that he did. I thought he was their best. The running did affect his kicking late in the game.

The new rules. Don't mind the last touch rule. It like all the umpiring yesterday was consistent. Not as sure about the holding the ball rule but if you are on it you have to flap like a chook or else. 51 frees for the game were probably all there and this would have included about 15 out of bounds frees.

The rotations. We, like Glenelg were completely spent by the 10 min mark of the last quarter. We did not score in the last and Glenelg whilst having chances wee unable to convert. The kicking for/towards goal when going for distance was wayward. Fatigue will be a factor. Perhaps we will all learn to cope, time will tell.

South had two new recruits. Barnes had enough of it to suggest he may be able to make the transition from country footy. Hitchcock was good and will be a valuable player. Fills the small forward role very well and wit the absence of Peter Rolfe until at least mid year should be able to cement his spot.

I thought our better players were Cross, Liddle, Irra, Hitchcock, Guilden (who played down back), Rankine and Fields (the rebound from the back 50 is a weapon).

Bass was beaten in the ruck hitouts (thought Mcginty was very good) but his extra efforts around the ground are valuable and his fitness is important with the limit in rotations. Crabbie was on Alleway and was dragged up the ground constantly. De Visser was steady on his return.

Quiet games from Overall and Heaslip who will come under pressure this week with the expected return of Xavier Gotch.

One suggestion for the league. Include the number of rotations in the live stats. There is much interest in it now.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 743 times
Been liked: 2116 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:34 pm

Some good signs but still plenty of work to do on our kicking to advantage and separation at the contest.

South have a bloody good 16s side.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:53 pm

Bays on the right path at last I think.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Irra to me looked much harder at it on Friday than he has in the past.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:08 am

Was good to see the '88 Magarey Medalist at Noarlunga Thursday Nite, watching a few of the Yank Boys with South Juniors.

Top Bloke is Whitts!!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL