Where to for Glenelg

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Where to for Glenelg

Postby Harry the Horse » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:41 am

There's a few people here who get it. Plenty of other SANFL clubs have cried poor and been saved by rattling the tins. But Glenelg is the first one to hit the skids, having betrayed its members and as part of a competition drowning in apathy. I seriously doubt there are enough people who'll dig deep enough into their pockets to save a side so they can go and watch them play four games against AFL reserves teams per year. The competition is not like it was, it's not what we want and I doubt it ever will be again. I suspect Glenelg will disappear, And they won't be the last ones. You reap what you sow in this world and those responsible at the Bay are going to have to live with that.
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:53 am

Harry the Horse wrote:There's a few people here who get it. Plenty of other SANFL clubs have cried poor and been saved by rattling the tins. But Glenelg is the first one to hit the skids, having betrayed its members and as part of a competition drowning in apathy. I seriously doubt there are enough people who'll dig deep enough into their pockets to save a side so they can go and watch them play four games against AFL reserves teams per year. The competition is not like it was, it's not what we want and I doubt it ever will be again. I suspect Glenelg will disappear, And they won't be the last ones. You reap what you sow in this world and those responsible at the Bay are going to have to live with that.

I know this is the norm of thinking for most Glenelg folk but knowing how far back your love for the club goes from doing some work with you back in the late 80s, I thought you'd be the last person to say this. I guess it goes to show how strongly the members really do feel.

Too bad no one at the bay has acknowledged this.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby stan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:02 pm

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:
RustyCage wrote:From all the reserves teams blaming going on in here I take it Glenelg were in making profits year after year before 2014?

I think the point is that Glenelg has been struggling for a bit but the issue with the AFL reserves coming in has turned away alot of passionate supporters. These are the types of people who the clubs need dueing this time to help save them.

Imagine if the full forward walked away because the coach didn't listen to how he wanted the game plan structured. Goodbye and good riddance.

So you think Glenelg shoud simply day " dont like how the club is run, good bye and good riddens".

Hmm not sure your comparsion is all that logical really.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 pm

cracka wrote:So the actual blame for the AFL reserves in the SANFL & the ultimate downfall of the SANFL should all be put on the 6 clubs that voted yes & not the crows or power for wanting into the SANFL.

Sure. The 6 'yes' clubs do deserve the blame, because they ultimately voted for it. But the Crows aren’t blameless in this. To think that is to ignore the inequitable power balance that exists between the very popular and resource-heavy Crows and a collection of semi-amateur clubs struggling with identity and relevance, and who were ripe to be taken advantage of.

Don't forget the Crows were absolutely desperate to have a reserves side, all part of Brenton Sanderson's (remember him?) plan. They would've stopped at nothing to get what they want, because, well, they always do. They're the sporting darlings of a state that loves its sport. I have no doubt that if there was an Adelaide Crows political party people would seriously vote for it.

But I digress. The Crows wanted something bad and did whatever they could, behind the scenes, to get it.

I think some have said that even if the vote was unanimous against, the Crows still would've pulled out an ace and gotten their own way anyway. I’m not so sure. The Crows know the benefit of a warm and fuzzy positive public image, and would’ve never overturned the official vote. They wanted to earn the trust of the clubs, and also reinforce the impression that the SANFL clubs’ independent decision-making was the key to the vote. So they remained in the shadows and exerted their influence until they knew the majority vote would go their way.

It might appear as if the clubs are guilty of voting for the reserves sides, but in my mind they’re guilty of being hoodwinked by a bunch of charlatans. Yes, they ostensibly voted for it, but the Crows pulled the strings. Machiavelli would be proud.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DOC » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:23 pm

cracka wrote:
So the actual blame for the AFL reserves in the SANFL & the ultimate downfall of the SANFL should all be put on the 6 clubs that voted yes & not the crows or power for wanting into the SANFL.

That is it in a nutshell.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:35 pm

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:
RustyCage wrote:From all the reserves teams blaming going on in here I take it Glenelg were in making profits year after year before 2014?

I think the point is that Glenelg has been struggling for a bit but the issue with the AFL reserves coming in has turned away alot of passionate supporters. These are the types of people who the clubs need dueing this time to help save them.

Imagine if the full forward walked away because the coach didn't listen to how he wanted the game plan structured. Goodbye and good riddance.

Bit different when you are paying the full forward to listen to the coach and play by his rules etc.

Fans in general are paying thousands of their hard earned dollars to support the club when in a lot of cases they don't have the money to do so.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 pm

Booney wrote:Imagine if the full forward walked away because the coach didn't listen to how he wanted the game plan structured. Goodbye and good riddance.

You just can't, or won't, understand, it appears.

Where do I start? Firstly, your analogy is false.

The league directors, guys like Chiggy, Kurt Slaven and Bohdan Jaworskliklkky can't possibly be compared to the coach of a football club, and the supporter groups a team of players.

The coach of a football team is appointed on account of his experience, knowledge of football gameplans, man management, and ability to motivate a team.

The club presidents, boards etc. are elected by the members to make decisions representative of the views, aims and concerns of the members. Their only authority is derived from the members, and it is their duty to act in accordance with the will of the members.

The league directors are not absolute monarchs.

To use WWTFC as an example, if Slaven had said loudly and clearly to all the members before the AGM at the start of 2013, if I'm elected I'm going to vote to insert AFL reserves teams in the SANFL, and if he had been elected, then of course he would have been right to vote that way.

But he did not do this.

Of course it isn't practical to consult with the members over every single minor decision. But given the controversy and extremely strong feelings over this issue, and given that (as I'm sure you'll agree) it would be very difficult to reverse this decision at a later date, it was absolutely vital that Slaven got the members on board before making the decision to vote in favour.

Unless I was very, very much mistaken, the atmosphere in the room during the 'Information Night', was one of hostility to the reserves sides' inclusion.

Slaven not only made the wrong decision IMO, but the lack of democracy involved is an absolute indictment of his management of the club. This is why your analogy of players not listening to the coach is false.

To put it simply, the fans owe no blind faith to the president. The opposite is true. The league directors owe all their authority to the members.

To be honest, I hardly attend WWTFC games now (I saw 22/22 minor round + finals games in 2013) not because of my disappointment in my decision, but because of the way football and football clubs have changed, and my general lack of interest in the new regime. I used to structure my weekends around the footy. Now, I don't see the Eagles as the no. 1 priority.

I believe that I am not alone in feeling that my club has abandoned me, not the other way around. The difference from 2013, apart from the reserves teams themselves? Passion. Like many, I have lost the passion. It was previously passion for my club, and the SANFL, that drove me to spend time and money at the club. Like many, I now feel blasé about attending games.

You're obviously a passionate supporter of both the Power and the Magpies, the Power's reserve side in the SANFL. You're perfectly entitled to have your own views on the introduction of the reserves teams, or not to have any views at all on it.

However, there's no reason why you would understand the passion of others, and your 'good riddance' mentality shows that you have failed to grasp how important the integrity, sovereignty, and soul of the competition are to other people on this forum...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:38 pm

cracka wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Thats not the point, the point is the reserves teams have contributed to clubs going downhill and also contributed to the people who could help turn things around no longer being there.
For eg. I was a part of the Roosters Against Merger group in the 90s, in the early 2000s I organised the Rooster Rally which a lot of people credit helping turn the fortunes of the club around, I've also been a runner up for Volunteer of the Year award, went interstate twice following North, have been a part of the Presidents group twice, I created and ran the clubs official website for years and created a club unofficial site/forum as well as safooty which has helped build/keep interest in the club/comp and used to be a volunteer SANFL acreddited photographer, etc etc.
Thanks to the reserves debacle I wouldn't lift a finger to help North if something happened these days, I struggle to get motivated to travel 5 mins to see them play and I helped organise my daughter a gig as a trainer/physio at South. I only go to games to catch up with mates. I'm sure Glenelg and other clubs have many people like me.

Please don't interpret my post as blowing my own trumpet as I did it all out of love and passion of which I have none now which is a big point of what the point is.

So the actual blame for the AFL reserves in the SANFL & the ultimate downfall of the SANFL should all be put on the 6 clubs that voted yes & not the crows or power for wanting into the SANFL.

Agree but lets not forget the the Power and Crows in particular abused their power in this state to manipulate many mindless supporters who didnt put up anywhere near as big a fight because they believed the 'crows propaganda'

Also have absolutely no doubt that their are a few 'kick backs' going towards the way of these presidents that voted yes courtesy of our illustrious AFL clubs.
whufc
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:

I think it would be more comparable to say your core group of players most passionate about the club, walked away because the coach didn't listen to how they wanted the game plan structured.
In which case there'd obviously be some disconnect in communication, vision, unity and the club would hopefully get together and stop the rot. A similar situation I lived through at Sturt in 1989. You had Smith, Popplestone and Schache leaving immediately, purely because of a board's decision.

A bit silly to compare the situation the SANFL finds itself in with a single player disagreeing with his coach, wouldn't you say Booney?
EDIT, hell a shitload of people have responded in the time I have taken to write this. Nice bait Boon!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Harry the Horse wrote:There's a few people here who get it. Plenty of other SANFL clubs have cried poor and been saved by rattling the tins. But Glenelg is the first one to hit the skids, having betrayed its members and as part of a competition drowning in apathy. I seriously doubt there are enough people who'll dig deep enough into their pockets to save a side so they can go and watch them play four games against AFL reserves teams per year. The competition is not like it was, it's not what we want and I doubt it ever will be again. I suspect Glenelg will disappear, And they won't be the last ones. You reap what you sow in this world and those responsible at the Bay are going to have to live with that.

Spot on, agree with so much of what you have written. It is just that Glenelg are having their turn at being the financial basket case ATM. Bad bloody timing, but it is the case that is going to test the waters, unfortunately for the Bays.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Magellan wrote:
cracka wrote:So the actual blame for the AFL reserves in the SANFL & the ultimate downfall of the SANFL should all be put on the 6 clubs that voted yes & not the crows or power for wanting into the SANFL.

Sure. The 6 'yes' clubs do deserve the blame, because they ultimately voted for it. But the Crows aren’t blameless in this. To think that is to ignore the inequitable power balance that exists between the very popular and resource-heavy Crows and a collection of semi-amateur clubs struggling with identity and relevance, and who were ripe to be taken advantage of.

Don't forget the Crows were absolutely desperate to have a reserves side, all part of Brenton Sanderson's (remember him?) plan. They would've stopped at nothing to get what they want, because, well, they always do. They're the sporting darlings of a state that loves its sport. I have no doubt that if there was an Adelaide Crows political party people would seriously vote for it.

But I digress. The Crows wanted something bad and did whatever they could, behind the scenes, to get it.

I think some have said that even if the vote was unanimous against, the Crows still would've pulled out an ace and gotten their own way anyway. I’m not so sure. The Crows know the benefit of a warm and fuzzy positive public image, and would’ve never overturned the official vote. They wanted to earn the trust of the clubs, and also reinforce the impression that the SANFL clubs’ independent decision-making was the key to the vote. So they remained in the shadows and exerted their influence until they knew the majority vote would go their way.

It might appear as if the clubs are guilty of voting for the reserves sides, but in my mind they’re guilty of being hoodwinked by a bunch of charlatans. Yes, they ostensibly voted for it, but the Crows pulled the strings. Machiavelli would be proud.

Nice balanced views there Magellan.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:46 pm

RB wrote:
Booney wrote:Imagine if the full forward walked away because the coach didn't listen to how he wanted the game plan structured. Goodbye and good riddance.

The league directors, guys like Chiggy, Kurt Slaven and Bohdan Jaworskliklkky can't possibly be compared to the coach of a football club, and the supporter groups a team of players.

The coach of a football team is appointed on account of his experience, knowledge of football gameplans, man management, and ability to motivate a team.

The club presidents, boards etc. are elected by the members to make decisions representative of the views, aims and concerns of the members. Their only authority is derived from the members, and it is their duty to act in accordance with the will of the members.

To use WWTFC as an example, if Slaven had said loudly and clearly to all the members before the AGM at the start of 2013, if I'm elected I'm going to vote to insert AFL reserves teams in the SANFL, and if he had been elected, then of course he would have been right to vote that way.

But he did not do this.

Of course it isn't practical to consult with the members over every single minor decision. But given the controversy and extremely strong feelings over this issue, and given that (as I'm sure you'll agree) it would be very difficult to reverse this decision at a later date, it was absolutely vital that Slaven got the members on board before making the decision to vote in favour.

Unless I was very, very much mistaken, the atmosphere in the room during the 'Information Night', was one of hostility to the reserves sides' inclusion.

Slaven not only made the wrong decision IMO, but the lack of democracy involved is an absolute indictment of his management of the club. This is why your analogy of players not listening to the coach is false.

To put it simply, the fans owe no blind faith to the president. The opposite is true. The league directors owe all their authority to the members.

To be honest, I hardly attend WWTFC games now (I saw 22/22 minor round + finals games in 2013) not because of my disappointment in my decision, but because of the way football and football clubs have changed, and my general lack of interest in the new regime. I used to structure my weekends around the footy. Now, I don't see the Eagles as the no. 1 priority.

I believe that I am not alone in feeling that my club has abandoned me, not the other way around. The difference from 2013, apart from the reserves teams themselves? Passion. Like many, I have lost the passion. It was previously passion for my club, and the SANFL, that drove me to spend time and money at the club. Like many, I now feel blasé about attending games.

You're obviously a passionate supporter of both the Power and the Magpies, the Power's reserve side in the SANFL. You're perfectly entitled to have your own views on the introduction of the reserves teams, or not to have any views at all on it.

However, there's no reason why you would understand the passion of others, and your 'good riddance' mentality shows that you have failed to grasp how important the integrity, sovereignty, and soul of the competition are to other people on this forum...

Great post mate!!!!!

How much would you estimate you would have spent on the Eagles in a season.

This is my estimation of my spending's at Central when i was passionate about the SANFL before the AFL reserves came in.

-Membership and season ticket - $175
-10 home games ($50 in club rooms + ground facilities) -$500 *very generous figure, that's what i told the misses i was spending
-1 piece of merchandise a year- $50.00
-meal once a month with family (say $50 each month)- $600 *once again was probably more than that are after a couple of bets etc.

So all up i would have very comfortably spent at least $1325 a year at very least $1500 was probably more like it. Once you include me being able to get a few mates throughout the year to come along etc

I am by no means a big spender of the club but considering i would never miss a game and would also spend a minimum of $50 at each away ground as well the money adds up as im only one supporter.
whufc
Coach

Postby saintal » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 pm

Magellan wrote:

Good post. The infamous Burtenshaw Q+A thread was an insight into the lack of thorough planning, consultation and research into the matter and the overall arrogant/ignorant approach adopted by the AFC. The mainstream media (i.e. the PR arm of the club) during the saga played their role perfectly to. And of course Triggy remarked that they needed unanimous support from the 8 clubs before they would consider entry, this was not received.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby JK » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:50 pm

No, Glenelgs financial trouble rests on their own shoulders - whilst they might have been unlucky with things like debt level in a changed economy, they made their own decisions.

Trying to get out of the hole, as per WHUFC's example post, is likely greatly hindered by the altered state of the competition that we have today and have had for the previous two seasons.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Funny how these AFL-ites have this recurring opinion how we should stand by the league, when they all jumped off it years ago.
What's the matter, worried that there'll be nobody to watch your reserves play?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:52 pm

saintal wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Good post. The infamous Burtenshaw Q+A thread was an insight into the lack of thorough planning, consultation and research into the matter and the overall arrogant/ignorant approach adopted by the AFC. The mainstream media (i.e. the PR arm of the club) during the saga played their role perfectly to. And of course Triggy remarked that they needed unanimous support from the 8 clubs before they would consider entry, this was not received.

Oh yes the wonderful we don't do this unless we get unanimous support!!!!! Funny how no media outlets or like held them accountable for that little gem. Same as the magical 4k figure.

The infamous Burtenshaw Q+A thread should have been used as an insight to the real questions that needed answering but off course non of the major media outlets would have dared to printed those views.

Im sure if we discussed what Taylor Walker and Chad Wingard had for breakfast they would have quoted that thread.
whufc
Coach

Re:

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:53 pm

therisingblues wrote:Funny how these AFL-ites have this recurring opinion how we should stand by the league, when they all jumped off it years ago.
What's the matter, worried that there'll be nobody to watch your reserves play?

That's an unreasonable assumption to make.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm

cracka wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Thats not the point, the point is the reserves teams have contributed to clubs going downhill and also contributed to the people who could help turn things around no longer being there.
For eg. I was a part of the Roosters Against Merger group in the 90s, in the early 2000s I organised the Rooster Rally which a lot of people credit helping turn the fortunes of the club around, I've also been a runner up for Volunteer of the Year award, went interstate twice following North, have been a part of the Presidents group twice, I created and ran the clubs official website for years and created a club unofficial site/forum as well as safooty which has helped build/keep interest in the club/comp and used to be a volunteer SANFL acreddited photographer, etc etc.
Thanks to the reserves debacle I wouldn't lift a finger to help North if something happened these days, I struggle to get motivated to travel 5 mins to see them play and I helped organise my daughter a gig as a trainer/physio at South. I only go to games to catch up with mates. I'm sure Glenelg and other clubs have many people like me.

Please don't interpret my post as blowing my own trumpet as I did it all out of love and passion of which I have none now which is a big point of what the point is.

This isn't a chicken or egg scenario. Crows forced this issue onto the SANFL when it should of never been raised.

Ie. Trigg "We will not accept anything but a unanimous vote of support to Enter the league" the vote was 6-2.
We will bring 4000 crowds every week
It will increase exposure to the SANFL.
We are happy for our conditions of entry to be reviewed annually. When reviewed and more money requested "no we had a signed agreement".
We will play ammos bluff. We will steal your sponsors threat.

All of them lies as predicted two years ago. So is it the SANFL clubs fault for being gullible or the crows for blatantly lying and misguiding/pressuring the SANFL.

Where is Burtenshaw to see how the SANFL fans feel about reserves now ???

As stated afl reserves has pushed away the SANFL/clubs most loyal supporters/sponsors.

As known in business the top 10% of your customers will bring in 70-80% of your revenue.

As Wedgie said 3 years ago I would personally buy a membership and try and help Glenelg any SANFL club. Now whatever . They brought it on themselves. Eat shizen Chiggy
Last edited by UK Fan on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm

JK wrote:

No, Glenelgs financial trouble rests on their own shoulders - whilst they might have been unlucky with things like debt level in a changed economy, they made their own decisions.

Trying to get out of the hole, as per WHUFC's example post, is likely greatly hindered by the altered state of the competition that we have today and have had for the previous two seasons.

Bloody oath it is.
I don't know why this comment keeps getting repeated by the Afflites, I haven't read one comment that has attested to this. I think it is just something that is easy to say, as opposed to arguing the point that passion has diminished as a result of the two unwanted guests.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Mickyj » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:56 pm

RB wrote:

But he did not do this.

No offence RB
But what I think is what I think and what you think is what you think .
Me hopefully will continue to attend every eagles games
At present I feel ok if it works out I'll be there
Yep I paid my 170 bucks membership
My eldest has as well
And out of the ordinary my daughter has joined this year
Now two with me might to be sure I'm ok
But I've missed fishing I ain't missing footy I hope
Stairs at oval ave might be an issue
But I'll be there one way or another .
I do agree 170 bucks is a lot
But I don't drink booze don't smoke
Hell I don't go out to eat