Australia vs India ODI squad

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australia vs India ODI squad

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:44 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Do one dayers actually mean anything 3.5 years out from a World Cup?

May as well give him a crack.

ODIs are less important than big bash

100% agree

Important in what way ?

The form of players OR the results?

The results in the Big Bash are utter meaningless !

When an Adelaide based team has 3 Queenslanders as their 1st 3 bowlers why would anyone care who wins or loses ?

Form of players obviously a good pointer to higher honours, not just ODIs but Test cricket as well it seems these days. :roll:

tell me what the impact of Australia winning or losing this ODI was. It is a nothing game.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:13 pm

I said last year that ODI's only matter 18 months out from a World Cup. Been that way since after the 2003 World Cup....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:10 pm

would some sort of tri-series give back some meaning to the ODIs?

For me there needs to be some sort of league setup so that each game has meaning to a ladder - something more tangible to the average fan than the rankings
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:24 pm

bennymacca wrote:would some sort of tri-series give back some meaning to the ODIs?

For me there needs to be some sort of league setup so that each game has meaning to a ladder - something more tangible to the average fan than the rankings

Agree
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am

jackpot jim wrote:
whufc wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Do one dayers actually mean anything 3.5 years out from a World Cup?

100% agree

Important in what way ?

When an Adelaide based team has 3 Queenslanders as their 1st 3 bowlers why would anyone care who wins or loses ?

Form of players obviously a good pointer to higher honours, not just ODIs but Test cricket as well it seems these days. :roll:

8/1/2016
Brisbane Heat v Adelaide Strikers
Stanlake and Neser opened the bowling
From memory Laughlin bowled 1st change or thereabouts

So the Adelaide Strikers had 3 Queensland quick bowlers bowling to a Brisbane based team
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:37 am

bennymacca wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
whufc wrote:

100% agree

Important in what way ?

tell me what the impact of Australia winning or losing this ODI was. It is a nothing game.

Yep holds as much interest to me as any Big Bash game.

Maybe try telling Boland and Paris that the game was a NOTHING game ?

Wasn't a nothing game to them or a Billion Indian supporters but to the Average Aussie cricket fan, they couldn't give a rats and until these ODIs actually mean something and the side is picked on MERIT, the Aussie public will continue to lose interest.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:51 am

mal wrote:

8/1/2016

So the Adelaide Strikers had 3 Queensland quick bowlers bowling to a Brisbane based team

And that my friend is exactly the reason as a Loyal South Australian, i have zero interest in the results of these matches.

Having said that, it seems im in the minority with 50,000 turning up weekly to watch it which can only be good for the future of cricket regardless of the meaningless results.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:37 am

jackpot jim wrote:
mal wrote:

8/1/2016

And that my friend is exactly the reason as a Loyal South Australian, i have zero interest in the results of these matches.

Having said that, it seems im in the minority with 50,000 turning up weekly to watch it which can only be good for the future of cricket regardless of the meaningless results.

Laughliin is a Tasmanian but minor detail
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:32 am

Think Laughlin was a Queenslander who moved to Tassie for more opportunities.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:36 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Think Laughlin was a Queenslander who moved to Tassie for more opportunities.

Okay cool didn't realise that
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:07 am

MS Dhoni sure knows how to pot his team mates!

How was his "Spinner bowled shit*" comments?

*Didn't say shit, but might as well have.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:13 am

jackpot jim wrote:
mal wrote:

8/1/2016

And the Adelaide based afl teams are captained by blokes from Geelong and broken hill.

Where people come from is irrelevant
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:45 pm

LOL. A bigger honour to play for the Scorchers than Australia now.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:16 pm

bennymacca wrote:would some sort of tri-series give back some meaning to the ODIs?

Agree that the rankings don't mean much at the moment. Perhaps introduce rewards for rankings at a certain point once a year, at the time there is less international cricket going on (March? September?), especially in the first two years after a World Cup. Suppose these rewards would have to be monetary. Done right, maybe it could become a prestigious trophy as well. But neither as extensive as the World Cup.
Could develop the future schedules so three series are set and then a series against a high and low ranked team over that year.
Incorporate 20-20's into it too so it is a "short-form" rankings with each one-dayer in a series being worth say two points and 20-20 one point, playing 5 and 3 respectively. If countries want to institgate series trophies for these as well, that's up to them, like many of the AFL cups.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:25 pm

The problem with any sort of rankings is that Australia India and England have basically hijacked world cricket and they will always prefer to play each other than to play an even amount against other teams.

Ideally you would play 5 one dayers and 3-5 T20 home and away against each team. Maybe a 4 year period. Then you could have say a 4 way tournament to play off for the top 4 and this could replace the champions trophy.

Every tour I would love to see us play some games against the associate teams, like we did against Ireland when we were last in England. For teams like UAE Afghanistan et al it would be great for their development.

We could even send a second team to these countries or play against them in Darwin and cairns.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:55 am

bennymacca wrote: Every tour I would love to see us play some games against the associate teams, like we did against Ireland when we were last in England. For teams like UAE Afghanistan et al it would be great for their development.

We could even send a second team to these countries or play against them in Darwin and cairns.

This is something I've been saying. We play in the Middle East regularly enough against Pakistan that we could add a one day game against the UAE or Afghanistan at the end, or as a warm-up.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:04 am

Come to think of it, I think we did play Afghanistan in an odi when we played Pakistan in the UAE didn't we?

Would be great to see them come out here for a game too, and the ODIs could be played at places not used to getting international cricket
bennymacca
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:47 am

bennymacca wrote:The problem with any sort of rankings is that Australia India and England have basically hijacked world cricket and they will always prefer to play each other than to play an even amount against other teams.

Ideally you would play 5 one dayers and 3-5 T20 home and away against each team. Maybe a 4 year period. Then you could have say a 4 way tournament to play off for the top 4 and this could replace the champions trophy.

Every tour I would love to see us play some games against the associate teams, like we did against Ireland when we were last in England. For teams like UAE Afghanistan et al it would be great for their development.

Agree with most of this benny.
Is certainly concerning with the three big countries are going about it at the moment.

We definitely have an obligation to the lesser countries and associate countries to improve their cricket. We could offer some of the Irish, Scottish, Afghanis spots on Shield/rookie or Big Bash lists with some incentive from CA, either financial or like the AFL do (not sure if there is anything like this in place at the moment)

I was thinking of mentioning the CHampions trophy in my first post, and it's that relevant I couldn't even remember whether they still held it or not. Definitely find a way to make all ODI's relevant in place of it. I think you could do your idea over 2 years, and sure, each team wouldn't be able to play each other once, but as long as it was a set rotation like the NFL schedule (perhaps reviewable every 4 years after a 3 team x 3 year rotation given teams changed strengths), then it could work.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:29 am

bennymacca wrote:Come to think of it, I think we did play Afghanistan in an odi when we played Pakistan in the UAE didn't we?

Would be great to see them come out here for a game too, and the ODIs could be played at places not used to getting international cricket

Even give them List A experience against Australia A.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:31 am

Champions trophy was canned and replaced by the test championship idea, but then that fell over and the trophy came back. Obviously for $$$ reasons.

And agreed about us having an obligation to the smaller countries. We can't simultaneously lament the drop off in standard and then provide them no way to improve by not playing them
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket