Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby tigerpie » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:55 pm

Footy classified showing that there's a lot of eggs on a lot of faces.
Geez the bombers were dumb!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:Why should the 34 players who are still on AFL lists still get paid by their clubs for the next year? They are convicted cheats and should receive no compensation while doing nothing for 2016. Chris Davies certainly wouldn't confirm they would be paying their 2 on radio tonight.

Footy Classified claimed Port were going to ask the AFL to get Essendon to cough up the cash. At least in Monfries case as he was signed before this shitstorm landed.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 pm

Interesting Robbo mentions how when he was defending Hirdy that Demetriou rang him personally to warn him he was 'barking up the wrong tree'

The AFL and it's media is so manipulated!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:27 pm

Lol at the wanker Kingy

His comment was the next lot of talent for Essendon to look at is not at the wafl or at the sanfl it's on AFL rookie lists

Lol has he seen half the blokes running around at state league level most of them struggle big time
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby HoldenV8 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:33 am

On one hand I feel for the players, though I will admit that part of me still believes that they are grown men and had every right to not take any pills or injections, although I do understand that they trusted their club and their coach just like any of us trusts our doctor. I do think the players (somewhat unfairly) are the ones paying the heaviest price for the EFC's screw up of giant proportions. Their reputations will be forever tarnished over this.

Even though I'm a long time Bombers fan, I have no sympathy for the club over this BS and I have lost all respect for James Hird who I believe, despite his motto of "Deny Deny Deny", was up to his eyeballs in it. I mean, he was the one who authorised the injections.

What worries me is the flow on effect. The AFL are allowing Essendon to recruit 10 players to top up their list. Some will probably come from their VFL team, but I can see the rest coming from the SANFL and WAFL. This will most likely see clubs lose players that they thought were going to play a big part of their 2016 season. Don't get me wrong, if someone gets the chance to play in the AFL and hopefully show that they belong there then good luck to them. But I would hope that the AFL or Essendon or both adequately compensate those clubs who do lose players as a result of this.

Unfortunately this won't just affect Essendon.
"21 goals 16 to 16 goals 12 and West Adelaide have won it" - Ch.7's Robert Oatey as Westies won the 1983 SANFL premiership
HoldenV8
Mini-League

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Gepps Cross

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:35 am

HoldenV8 wrote:On one hand I feel for the players, though I will admit that part of me still believes that they are grown men and had every right to not take any pills or injections, although I do understand that they trusted their club and their coach just like any of us trusts our doctor. I do think the players (somewhat unfairly) are the ones paying the heaviest price for the EFC's screw up of giant proportions. Their reputations will be forever tarnished over this.

I tend to agree HV8. To take a strictly professional viewpoint, they are grown men who are expect to take responsibility for themselves and what goes into it, particularity when its injected through a needle. Let them cop it.

On the other hand, I think that's too simplistic a way to approach the issue, and I think it ignores what (up until now) we have expected from football clubs in terms of ethics. Footy clubs have been presented and operate on the idea that they are environments built upon trust and teamwork, where young immature men enter and leave as fully-developed men; for example, we all know that Hawthorn's not called "the Family Club" because everyone who works and plays there are related, and many successful coaches back in the day are spoken of as playing a father figure role. Footy clubs at the lower, grass-roots levels who produce our AFL footy playing talent operate as honest community organisations where trust and teamwork are taught as fundamentals to success.

In this footy club model I would've thought the players would be entitled to the benefit of the doubt and trust what senior football management were providing to them. I think it's a bit rich to expect every player to question critically what is being provided to them by their bosses when they've come up through a system based on trust and acceptance at face value. Involvement in a club situation where everyone is working together to win a flag runs contrary to the idea that you should seek legal, medical or pharmaceutical advice every time you're administered something because your coach who you're conditioned to trust implicitly might not be 100% trustworthy.

This model is clearly not what the AFL clubs now represent, and perhaps yesterday was the collision with proper professionalism that the AFL had to have. For years it has paraded itself as a 'professional' sport, yet this isn't really true. 'Professional' in the AFL really just means 'full-time' participation in training and preparation activities in exchange for high wages that the players can comfortably live off. Yet many players continue to behave at standards that are far from 'professional' and would not be accepted in other disciplines and professions. In fact, most are probably too immature to understand what the concept means, given those who are in professions don't start until they're about 23-ish, and when they do they're at the bottom of the professional ladder.

Now it has been made abundantly clear to those players who participate in the AFL system that they must properly protect their own interests at all costs, and never ever trust what they are given or told by their employer. The risk to your reputation and worth as a commodity tradeable in the AFL marketplace is too great. It is now dog eat dog, each man for himself, and lawyer and chemist yourself up. Welcome to the (new) jungle.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby stan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:06 am

Yes I would say its would be hard as and 18 year to question the senior management at your club.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:03 am

Players are the guiltiest of the lot! Yeah I'd let someone inject me while having to keep it secret from the club doctor. That's not suspicious at all!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2024 times
Been liked: 3868 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:55 am

Whilst Essendon has treated it's players horrifically, unfortunately the players have to accept responsibility - especially as not all players took part in the programme, showing that it was avoidable.

They'll continue to hurt in the hip pocket, but it's clear Gilligan and his cronies want them back to being competitive pretty quickly - no draft sanctions a clear Indicator of that.

I would have thrown the book at them - draft sanctions and grant the suspended players free agency status upon their return.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:00 am

whufc wrote:Lol at the wanker Kingy

His comment was the next lot of talent for Essendon to look at is not at the wafl or at the sanfl it's on AFL rookie lists

Lol has he seen half the blokes running around at state league level most of them struggle big time

King can occasionally make a good point but invariably always shoots himself in the foot. His rookie list theory may well have some merit, but what, he just expects clubs to give up their players for a club that are solely responsible for the predicament they're in??
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 am

The AFL cant afford to have a club like Essendon struggle for too long, too much money involved
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:21 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The AFL cant afford to have a club like Essendon struggle for too long, too much money involved

They're no bigger than Carlton but they were happy to give the Blues punishment that made it near impossible for them to do much onfield for a while
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:35 am

JK wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The AFL cant afford to have a club like Essendon struggle for too long, too much money involved

They're no bigger than Carlton but they were happy to give the Blues punishment that made it near impossible for them to do much onfield for a while

Carltons punishment was sometime ago. Should have recovered by now but it was there own poor recruiting that keep them at the bottom.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:00 am

stan wrote:
JK wrote:

Carltons punishment was sometime ago. Should have recovered by now but it was there own poor recruiting that keep them at the bottom.

Yep it was a long time ago, they had an aged list and their recruiting since has been terrible, but they were always behind the 8-ball regardless with their sanctions. Very inconsistent attitudes imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:02 am

In a word, Watson keeps his Brownlow, yes or no?

For mine, no.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby oldfella » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:05 am

Wedgie wrote:Players are the guiltiest of the lot! Yeah I'd let someone inject me while having to keep it secret from the club doctor. That's not suspicious at all!

I think you have hit the nail on the head my freind with this comment.

I wonder why the club and afl directors involved are not also banned from any sporting association does not seem fair to me
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:14 am

Booney wrote:In a word, Watson keeps his Brownlow, yes or no?

For mine, no.

No.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:16 am

Wedgie wrote:Players are the guiltiest of the lot! Yeah I'd let someone inject me while having to keep it secret from the club doctor. That's not suspicious at all!

But some are not guilty!
That was the trouble with all players being charged as a group not individually. One of the CAS panel members even said as much yesterday when he said "several" players should of been found not guilty but they all got lumped as one.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Feenix » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 am

Booney wrote:In a word, Watson keeps his Brownlow, yes or no?

For mine, no.

NO
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:24 am

No way should Watson keep his Brownlow
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times