Good Movies

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: Good Movies

Postby HH3 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:23 am

Kingsman: The Secret Service

Great spy movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. Full of action, and some great acting.

Not really a spy movie kind of guy, but this ones a winner.

I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:46 am

I wanna hear SLJ run the Bet365 ad with the same speech defect
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Q. » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:36 am

Took the wife out to see Joy last night. Brilliant movie and J-Law absolutely nails the lead alongside some superb supporting roles.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:10 am

I took the Mrs to see The Good Dinosaur on Monday night for her birthday (she's a Disney nut).

Surprisingly good movie. There's some very VERY sad parts that even made me almost burst out in hysterical crying, but I contained myself.

Some piss funny parts too.

I recommend anyone (with or without kids) to go see this, or at least watch it when it comes out on VHS.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:34 am

HH3 wrote:I recommend anyone (with or without kids) to go see this, or at least watch it when it comes out on VHS.

Roll on 1985!! ;)
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:36 am

Picked up these bad boys the other day for the Mrs.

I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Hazbeen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:17 am

Trainwreck

LeBron James is great
Hazbeen
Veteran

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 122 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Feenix » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:00 am

Watched Beasts of No Nation, a Netflix original movie. Very good movie about civil war in Africa and child soldiers, a little disturbing in parts but well worth a watch.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby JK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:06 am

Wanna take my lads (5 & 6) to see Star Wars - too young?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:22 am

Watched Straight Outta Compton last night.
Loved it. I'm sure there's a large dose of embellishment but it was great to see so many icons of hip hop in one big-ass movie.
O'Shea Jackson Jnr was totally believable playing his father, Ice Cube, and has a big future ahead of him, while Jason Mitchell, as Eazy E, was excellent (who'da thought, at that time, that a rapper would die of AIDS? We had so much to learn).
It took me right back to a time when hip hop was becoming a serious playa and changing the way us 90s kids viewed the world - I imagine for some of us it was like when rock n roll broke for the after-war generations. Hip hop, in Australia had always been a novelty to most and NWA were at the forefront of moving it into the mainstream (for better, or for worse).
For me, it wasn't just the teenage rebellion, it was the message in the words (which for a kid from the north - not quite Compton with all its guns and drive-bys, but still a place where people did it tough and where they had to make serious decisions about their life's path - spoke of a reality). NWA and Public Enemy gave so much to me.
It was also a new way of hearing the beats that I was used to listening to on my parents' old soul and top-40 funk LPs - Dre's love of ol' school choons inspired several generations of DJs and hip hop artists and his impact reverberates today.
If a movie takes you back to how you felt when you first heard the music or the cultural trends of a time, then it's done a damn good job, Straight Outta Compton did this.
I might have to grow my skater fringe, wear my high tops and get my cassette player out again.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:25 am

Dada tracksuit?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:34 am

Mate. Come on. Dada's too late for NWA.
More like big-flared rave homeboy jeans with a narrow waist.
Baseball caps and LaCoste shirts.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Jimmy_041 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:43 am

Hungover yesterday so watched The Revenant
It was interesting: not sure what else to say about it.
An acquired taste I think
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:49 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Watched Straight Outta Compton last night.
Loved it. I'm sure there's a large dose of embellishment but it was great to see so many icons of hip hop in one big-ass movie.
O'Shea Jackson Jnr was totally believable playing his father, Ice Cube, and has a big future ahead of him, while Jason Mitchell, as Eazy E, was excellent (who'da thought, at that time, that a rapper would die of AIDS? We had so much to learn).
It took me right back to a time when hip hop was becoming a serious playa and changing the way us 90s kids viewed the world - I imagine for some of us it was like when rock n roll broke for the after-war generations. Hip hop, in Australia had always been a novelty to most and NWA were at the forefront of moving it into the mainstream (for better, or for worse).
For me, it wasn't just the teenage rebellion, it was the message in the words (which for a kid from the north - not quite Compton with all its guns and drive-bys, but still a place where people did it tough and where they had to make serious decisions about their life's path - spoke of a reality). NWA and Public Enemy gave so much to me.
It was also a new way of hearing the beats that I was used to listening to on my parents' old soul and top-40 funk LPs - Dre's love of ol' school choons inspired several generations of DJs and hip hop artists and his impact reverberates today.
If a movie takes you back to how you felt when you first heard the music or the cultural trends of a time, then it's done a damn good job, Straight Outta Compton did this.
I might have to grow my skater fringe, wear my high tops and get my cassette player out again.

Good write up, DW.

I enjoyed it too. It provided a good history of the group's rise to fame and its key players, particularly useful if you're not really across their backstory (the wife, who had no real idea about NWA, found it quite interesting). And yes, Ice Cube's son does an great performance as his dad. I felt at times I was watching the Ice Cube.

However, I think there was a fair bit of airbrushing. It's also quite long at about 2.5 hours (not that I really noticed that in the cinema), and despite this it didn't really delve into any of the characters in any real depth, which is a bit of a pity. I was thinking that it could've told the NWA story through the eyes of one member (I'm think perhaps Easy-E) as opposed to spreading the narrative across the group. I also thought it made Dr Dre out to be a kind of 'hero' of the story, which is a pity given his renowned violence towards women.

But, if nothing else, it offers a great soundtrack! I loved the scene where they play Cube's solo song "No Vaseline" (a cracking tune which tips the bucket on the other members of NWA), in which the visuals are cut between Cube recording it and the rest of NWA listening to it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby JK » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:07 pm

HH3 wrote:I took the Mrs to see The Good Dinosaur on Monday night for her birthday (she's a Disney nut).

Surprisingly good movie. There's some very VERY sad parts that even made me almost burst out in hysterical crying, but I contained myself.

I recommend anyone (with or without kids) to go see this, or at least watch it when it comes out on VHS.

Took the kids today, pretty good movie
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:44 pm

JK wrote:
Spangas wrote:
JK wrote:The Imitation Game - Was relatively unfamiliar with the history around the Poms cracking the Enigma code in WW2. Excellent story with characters very well portrayed. Highly rate.

Not close to actual events, but good movie nonetheless.

OK thats interesting to know, thanks mate.

Wouldn't mind checking up on it because it's a fascinating (imho) piece of history.

As an electronic engineer, I find Alan Turing is fascinating. Excellent movie too.

Another one that came out at the same time was The Theory of Everything, which I think is even better.

wristwatcher wrote:
JK wrote:Watched American Sniper finally, IIRC (which I might not) it didn't rate massively among the SFCC (SAFooty collective critique). Thought it was pretty good myself, the Sienna Miller factor might have helped though.

From memory most of us liked it, a couple didn't but it was unanimously agreed the movie was heavily embellished for effect.

It was more the lack of complexity in the story telling that annoyed me about that film.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:58 am

Mate I dont have your occupational background, but I too find him a hugely interesting character. Yet for all his uber intelligence, I can't get over the way they treated people of his sexual preference back in those days.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:23 pm

The Gift
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:29 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The Gift

Yeah I watched this one the other night with the Mrs and I tried to be cool whilst she shat herself a couple of times. It certainly drew us in and was a believable journey that makes you question yourself at times. Well produced, well cast and good acting.

It's on Foxtel at the moment for $5.50 and worth a look. Do it for Gordo!!!
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:28 pm

JK wrote:
HH3 wrote:I took the Mrs to see The Good Dinosaur on Monday night for her birthday (she's a Disney nut).

Took the kids today, pretty good movie

Ditto.

We went yesterday. Very surprisingly good. I thought I'd catch up on a couple of hours sleep but it had me hooked. Definitely going to watch it again, when it comes out on Betamax. ;-) Thanks HH3!

The fermented berries was a crackup. Good one by Pixar putting stuff in there for the adults. We all had a giggle.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment