Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Alaska » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:51 am

There was one and at one stage a Sizzler, now KFC on the corner of Glen Osmond and Greenhill Road. Used to be the old Parkside Hotel.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:59 am

Alaska wrote:There was one and at one stage a Sizzler, now KFC on the corner of Glen Osmond and Greenhill Road. Used to be the old Parkside Hotel.

Another Sizzler used to be next to McDonalds by the Morphetville Racecourse, it later was a La Porchetta - which also didn't last long.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:10 am

There was another Sizzler on Main North Road at Sefton Park.

I never went to a La Porchetta over here, but went to a couple about 15 years ago in Melbourne. I guess they were a franchise that expanded into SA? They did really cheap and tasty (given the price) pizzas. I think they bit the dust over there as well.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:01 am

OK the AM Bays tribe has given the Entertainment book at bit of a bash over the last three weeks:

The stinking hot Saturday night before Xmas we went to the Morphie Arms Hotel, "Lets do the time warp again....." After a day in the salon on her feet I thought I'd treat the missus to a night where she didn't have to cook.

Walked into the bistro while the decour is modern the clientiele sure aren't and the menu on the the old restuarant menu board with pressed in letters with red numbers showing the price took me back to the Franklin Hotel in Cowell Counter Meal menus. The grilled lambs fry and crumbed brains were passed on.

we all stuck to standard pub fare grilled prawns for me, schnitties for my heir and the missus and S&P squid for Miss am bays. Food was good without being great. I gave the salad and veg bar a go and while nothing special it a least had variety and was fresh - got The Warradale covered easily.

With entertainment voucher four meals and four drinks came to $80. Solid 6/10 for what it is pub food done, quick, tasty and cheap.

ESCA at Holdfast shores.

Missus and I went to ESCA at Holdfast shores on Saturday sans kids they've been kidnapped by the grandparents for a week.... =P~

Good welcoming atmosphere and the place looks apealing for a good feed

Missus went with the barramundi fish of the day and I the LInguine w prawns, calamari, crab, fish, mussels, cockles, chilli, garlic & white wine.

Both meals were vere tasty except the missus didn't relaeey gow for teh paw paw salsa witht eh barra.

Both meals were filling, the side vegies were nicely cooked and the Laroche Petit Chablis wasn't bad either.

Both of us were too full for dessert so we gave it a miss.

With Entertainment vucher it came to $113 dollars. Good meals service was OK without being great but an enjoyable meal all the same 7/10.

OLD LIon - North Adelaide

last night we went to the Old Lion Restuarant in North Adelaide. Probably a doomed move with some cricket game on nearby.....

Nice atmosphere and the decour is really nice. We were given a booth so I thought you beauty nice feed here, some good conversation, nudge nudge wink wink say no more when we get home....

We started with the slection of breads and dips along with the brisket fibngers to share.

Starters were really nice brisket fingers with chipotle sauce were great and I enjoyed the beetroot and cumin dip with the breads. Night has started well.

We both ordered the Coorong Black Angus scotch fillet steak with potatoe Puree, seeded mustard and Onion relish in a red wine Jus. Missus medium mine medium rare.

And it all came crashing down.

The missus' steak, well a good vet would've got it going again- certainly wasn't medium. Mine was cooked as I like it although a touch on the rare side but certainly cooked better than Mrs am Bay's. Both steaks must have come a black angus that has lived: Gristly, fatty, tough. I don't mind a bit of fat but I left a fare bit of steak on my plate and the missus had barely half hers. We should've sent hers back.

Both mains were certainly not to standard, if I got those at The Glenelg Club I would've been p!ssed but given as we are supposedly going to one of the "A section" Ent Book restuarants and paying $40 for a piece of steak that most places would have at $30, put a dampner on the night.

The Wynns black label cab Sav was a lovely drop though. Made the night more bearable. Service was good but the doubt remains did the waitress give my steak to the missus or was it a kitchen stuff up....

Entrees and wine were great, the mains sh!thouse (apart from the broccholini and beans side) with discount the bill came to $147. 5/10 just.

Won't be back in a hurry if we do it will be to the bistro where we will go with Schnitties.

We got home in time for me to watch the last 10 overs of the Strikers and the missus to go to bed early and read her book..... *sigh* :(
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:23 pm

Strathmore on North Terrace

Yep so I love my stone-grill and I know I have reviewed the 3 stone-grill restaurants but this outing had a massive twist relevant to recent discussions on what should happen when an establishment drops the ball.

I went with the surf and turf which is a 180g cut with prawns and scollops with a hollandaise sauce whilst Mrs went with the standard 250g with creamy garlic. 2 for 1 on Gold Card so it was $31.40. Ordered drinks separate as downstairs is the only open part in the first week of Jan. I went with a pint of Jim Squire Golden whilst Mrs had Muscato.

After 35-40 minutes we still had not received our meals so I went to the manager and politely explained the situation. He stopped what he was doing and said he would follow it up immediately. He started by walking over and apologising to my wife and found out what we were drinking. He went and spoke to his staff and came back extremely apologetically with a fresh pint of Golden Ale and a Grant Burge muscato filled to the brim. He said regardless of what the problem was whether it be human error, computer error or whatever it wasn't our problem and he would do what he could to make it right. He was back two minutes later with a garlic bread. Within another 5 we had our meals with a complimentary bowl of prawns to go on top
Of all the other free stuff. We also had a chat with him throughout the process and he was bloody good at his job. The lads name was Seamus and he had turned a negative into a positive with excellent customer service.

This was the first time I had the surf and turf at a Stone-grill and it was phenomenal. The prawns and scollops where flavour filled little morsels and the hollandaise complemented the superb cut of meat that was served. Chips and salad were also very good. Mrs said my meat was perfect but that's a story for another time. As good a meal as a man could want. Throw in over $30 worth of free stuff and the already free meal with the entertainment book and this was a superb experience.

9.5/10
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:31 pm

You get a like just for the dick joke.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:35 pm

HH3 wrote:You get a like just for the dick joke.

Haha :lol: cuttla muscatos and she lowers her standards :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:37 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:You get a like just for the dick joke.

Haha :lol: cuttla muscatos and she lowers her standards :)

I've seen your mug. She an alcoholic? ;)
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Morphett Arms

25% ent voucher

Old menu, understandable as it is to fit the average age of the patrons.

Ordered a chicken schnitty with mushroom sauce which the Mrs said was on the runny side and I had the waygu beef schnitty with meatballs topping.
Bloody hell, had a lot of meatballs on it!!

Fair pub grub give it 7/10

$38 with 2 schnitty and 2 cokes
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby stampy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Magellan wrote:There was another Sizzler on Main North Road at Sefton Park.

I never went to a La Porchetta over here, but went to a couple about 15 years ago in Melbourne. I guess they were a franchise that expanded into SA? They did really cheap and tasty (given the price) pizzas. I think they bit the dust over there as well.

didnt big mick knock benji out the back of la porchetta's in lygon street?
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:22 pm

stampy wrote:
Magellan wrote:There was another Sizzler on Main North Road at Sefton Park.

didnt big mick knock benji out the back of la porchetta's in lygon street?

Nup, that was la porchella in Carlton.
la porchetta still has a stack of franchises over in Victoria, think there might be a few in other states also
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 pm

Barossa Weintal Resort/Hotel/Restaurant - Tanunda

Mrs ordered the 300g Sirloin on a plate of fancy vegetables and garnish with a pint of lemonade. I went with the Seafood platter with a pint of Super Dry. 25% off in the good book. $85 was reduced to $64.

Booked during the day so we were able to pick our table and had researched the menus prior to arrival. Our table overlooked their "Garden of Eden" which was lovely and the venue was busy when we arrived at 7.45 but empty by the time we ate around 8.10pm. All staff were friendly and helpful and the place is clean and spacious. We had the corner table so we could put the baby in the corner. That worked really well proving once and for all Payrick Swayze really had no idea.

I have previously mentioned that the Mrs will only put the finest meat in her mouth and this was very good. Perhaps a smidgen above the medium ordered but still very good. Her vegetable medley was excellent. The cut was huge much like the Wristwatch but probably one quarter of it had a small grisly line through it. Probably the kind you would eat but the size of the meal dictated that she left it and even the big dog was too full to have a crack. With all this talk of meat I should point out the was a plentiful amount of Jus on it. Hopefully a sign of what's to come later when I fill her with Riesling and initiate some sexy time.

My meal. Simply wow. It appeared on a 3 tear platter. Now size doesn't necessarily mean good but presentation and portion was spot on. It contained the following items....
2 natural oysters that were fresh, tasty little morsels and 2 Kilpatrick that were perfect
A serve of salt and pepper squid that was tender and not stringy and on par with most I have had
There were 2 soft shell crab balls that I had never had before and really enjoyed
A bowl of tasty ass garlic prawns
A piece of very nice King George Whiting
Some sheets of Smoked Salmon with shallots and sh@t. It was fresh and full of flavour
The platter also contained excellent chips, garlic bread, salad with balsamic, tartare and garlic aioli
All in all more food than a man could want and very rare I leave food on a plate/platter albeit none of the seafood.

Gents if you want a platter to fill any hunger with quality seafood this is worth a visit without a shadow of doubt.

Overall I'd give it a 9/10 as the cut of meat made it lose a half a point, rating would have been less if the cut wasn't so big and plentiful. Needless to say my meal was as the kids say "on point".
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:58 pm

I know this place is done to death, but we took my little brother to Chuck Wagon for his birthday.

For me, the Mrs, 13 yr old brother, 30 yr old brother, Mum and Nan, it came to $187.

That was pretty amazing in itself, coz we didnt skimp.

They did give us a free onion rings coz they forgot them on the order, and a free sundae for the birthday boy.

The service was actually pretty good for it being packed and they got people fed and out pretty quickly.

Also, getting to watch Nan (little old lady from Leicester) smash a piglett burger was worth the price of admission.

3 times there and 3 good experiences.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Good review on the Strath more Wristy, will be visiting that establishment in the near future and am looking forward to it now
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:00 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Good review on the Strath more Wristy, will be visiting that establishment in the near future and am looking forward to it now

If you have an ent book don't forget to register your gold card. It gets you a free stonegrill so it's well worth it. Superb cuts of meat mate, you won't be disappointed. Say hi to Seamus for me ;)

Look forward to the review.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:32 pm

I'll let him know Wristy is thinking of you
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:20 am

Schnihaus on Rundle St

Polite, courteous service at the counter

The Mrs got the chicken with prawns on top whilst I had the bourbon slider schnitty

Despite them not being overly busy, meals came out rather quickly which initially caused me concern

However after getting into it there was nothing to worry about. Delicious!!!!

However the bourbon sauce after a while did leave a sweet sickly taste.

7.5/10
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:04 pm

Vietnam on Addison Rd
Haven't been for a few years and my MD is here for the week and he wanted Vietnamese.

Went the special seafood salad and spring rolls for entree to share.
The SSS was amazing, vermicelli glass noodles, prawns, scallops, octopus, calamari, mint, coriander, chilli.
Spring rolls were good and not in normal pastry but what seemed like a wonton wrapper.
I had a combination rice hot pot for main which was fantastic and the boss was happy with his beef pho.
We are going back tomorrow at his request!

9/10
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 pm

The Ash Man wrote:Vietnam on Addison Rd
Haven't been for a few years and my MD is here for the week and he wanted Vietnamese.

Went the special seafood salad and spring rolls for entree to share.
The SSS was amazing, vermicelli glass noodles, prawns, scallops, octopus, calamari, mint, coriander, chilli.
Spring rolls were good and not in normal pastry but what seemed like a wonton wrapper.
I had a combination rice hot pot for main which was fantastic and the boss was happy with his beef pho.
We are going back tomorrow at his request!

9/10

I drive past this place on my way to and from work most days and many an evening it busts at the seams with people. Always looks busy if I go past in the evening.

Everyone I know who has been speaks highly of it. Definitely one to try in 2016.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:07 pm

It is good but go the sugar cane prawns and bbq quail
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater