Best Dog Rolls in Adelaide???

Anything!

Re: Best Dog Rolls in Adelaide???

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:46 pm

RustyCage wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
RustyCage wrote:The bakery inside the Ingle Farm Shopping centre. $6 for a combo roll, plenty of meat, including the best Pork crackle I've had in a dog roll. Rate it very highly

Up the escalators across from the post office or the one on the western side near I think its Dick Smiths?

Escalators across from the post office

Awesome that's the Coles where I do my shopping and not the Ingle Farm venue that was made famous by the Dog Roll with cockroach. Will give that a try. Great option for the Mrs to pick up after a big night with it about 3 minutes from our front door.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:50 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Asian taste on the corner of airport rd

One of the most packed rolls I have encountered and it was delicious

I hit them up for a pup at lunch. Must say, whilst offering plenty of mass, it failed to meet the flavor levels I/we desire.

$5.80 for a combo, pretty reasonable. The roll was soft ( no crumb ) there was little if no crackling at all, lettuce ( LETTUCE WTF? ) in it, why have shredded iceberg in a pup? Please. The chicken was cold, like cold enough to hit the teeth when you bit into it and the cucumber was flaccid.

So, while being packed and weighty ( as heavy a roll as I have had ) it failed to live up to Hangs @ Torrensville.

At best, 2.5/5
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 pm

Wow...you got them at a bad day. My roll was the opposite of that. But yes Hangs still the best in that area.
Not sure how the joint across the road not far from the pub and Tab are still going.
More expensive and not as good
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:18 pm

Booney wrote:

I hit them up for a pup at lunch. Must say, whilst offering plenty of mass, it failed to meet the flavor levels I/we desire.

$5.80 for a combo, pretty reasonable. The roll was soft ( no crumb ) there was little if no crackling at all, lettuce ( LETTUCE WTF? ) in it, why have shredded iceberg in a pup? Please. The chicken was cold, like cold enough to hit the teeth when you bit into it and the cucumber was flaccid.

So, while being packed and weighty ( as heavy a roll as I have had ) it failed to live up to Hangs @ Torrensville.

At best, 2.5/5

Booney, what possible experience have you got to be able to make the call that something was flaccid when you ate it?????
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:21 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote:

At best, 2.5/5

Booney, what possible experience have you got to be able to make the call that something was flaccid when you ate it?????

You must remember. A moonlit Rugless Terrace. Parked car. Anything?

It was limp, lifeless, no rigidity at all. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:36 pm

The residents don't allow Rugless Tce to be moonlit anymore.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:02 am

The deli I have been driving past to get to work for 3 years gas turned into a dog roll joint. It's across from St.Clair. Not sure what Addison ave is called once you cross Torrens but it's there. Has anyone tried that one?
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:54 am

wristwatcher wrote:The deli I have been driving past to get to work for 3 years gas turned into a dog roll joint. It's across from St.Clair. Not sure what Addison ave is called once you cross Torrens but it's there. Has anyone tried that one?

Cheltenham Pde.
Used to do fantastic hot dogs, not sure about dog rolls
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:03 am

The Ash Man wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:The deli I have been driving past to get to work for 3 years gas turned into a dog roll joint. It's across from St.Clair. Not sure what Addison ave is called once you cross Torrens but it's there. Has anyone tried that one?

Cheltenham Pde.

Yeah I had tried there dogs and they hit the spot so hoping the dog rolls are round the mark as it's a pretty convenient spot. Looking at property in St. Clair as well, a good dog roll could be the clincher ;)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:44 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
RustyCage wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
RustyCage wrote:The bakery inside the Ingle Farm Shopping centre. $6 for a combo roll, plenty of meat, including the best Pork crackle I've had in a dog roll. Rate it very highly

Up the escalators across from the post office or the one on the western side near I think its Dick Smiths?

Escalators across from the post office

Awesome that's the Coles where I do my shopping and not the Ingle Farm venue that was made famous by the Dog Roll with cockroach. Will give that a try. Great option for the Mrs to pick up after a big night with it about 3 minutes from our front door.

Madam Wrist walked in at the stroke of lunch at the cricket with two meal deal specials from there. $8 for the roast pork a donut and a can of coke. Off to a flier if not on a heata!!!

It was a very good dog with all the crucial elements. Fresh but crunchy roll, as you mentioned damn fine crackle, excellent salads, the sauce was sweeter than normal but still very good, chilli that will appear in the things that gives you the shits thread tomorrow and of course the pork. Could have been more but it was good and tasty without being fatty. I know some people swear by the fattyness as that is part of the pork belly but personally doesn't do it for me.

As it's so convenient it's fair to say they haven't seen the last of me. Good spot and post Rusty 8)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Ian » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:26 pm

This study has named the Dog Roll shop on Bower Rd the best, my favourite from Days Rd got a average

http://www.onthechoppingboard.com/2014/ ... where.html
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby Jim05 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:51 pm

Don't care what the study says, I've never had a bad VDR from Tay Do. Nhu Lan also rates highly on my list
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby HH3 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:42 pm

Tay Do is my go to dog roll dispensery during working hours. Rollin on is a short stroll for out of hours dog rolls
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:57 am

Ian wrote:This study has named the Dog Roll shop on Bower Rd the best, my favourite from Days Rd got a average

http://www.onthechoppingboard.com/2014/ ... where.html

Thanks for the list Ian. Your comment summarises it pretty well though, it's very subjective. I have been going to Ta Do for close to ten years and never had a bad roll and it scored poorly. This list is done by one bloke who ate 27 dog rolls, personally I take more creedance from the wise minds and hungry mouths of the blokes on this forum.

It's very handy for location but some of the ratings seem a little dodgy or even contrived. It all depends on your individual taste I guess.

With dog rolls personally there are several other factors I take into account heavily when I choose my location and there are a lot of locations I could choose driving to and from Ingle Farm to Glenelg each day with the various roots I can take.

Hoangs on Henley Beach - fast friendly service and convenient parking across the road when travelling to work. Always consistent
KG's on corner of Torrens/Addison - never busy, get the Costanza park at the front, still only charges $4.30, family business. Small but tasty
Pho Xiong on Hanson - mrs Wristys favourite or they have the $55 meal deal which includes a gobby
Vietnam right near 127 days - my cousin lives next to it but the lines and parking are shit, great roll though
Strawberry Fair - as above but possibly the slowest service ever. I do like the proprietors the Hat family also.
Hewett - still a virgin but booked a barossa holiday really just so I can try them next month. Don't tell the wife ;)
Fulham bakery - drive right past it but it's a fattier pork so I need to be in the right mood.
Ta Do - try and get there out of loyalty. $7 with a can of coke and easily accessible car park two shops down.

TBH they all make my list because they deliver a level of consistency. The 3 or 4 others that missed the list and no longer get my patronage are one where it is hit and miss. I reckon the rolls are almost harder to stuff up than get right. There are a few others I would like to try but driving to far out of the way for a dog roll seems strange to me
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby HH3 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Just walked down to Rollin On and theyre shut on Sundays now. What a load!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:11 pm

HH3 wrote:Just walked down to Rollin On and theyre shut on Sundays now. What a load!

Woulda thunked that would be a good day for business. I guess not.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Ian » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:25 pm

We have the "Tiger Rolls Banh Mi" caravan park near work 2 days a week, their best is very good, but sadly they are just average a lot of the time, they need to be more consistent.
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby jakovasaurus » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:01 pm

Any decent breeders open late Sunday's? (Inner west/north, or into the city at a stretch)

Have a serious craving for a roll or three for tea tonight?
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

Postby JK » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:29 pm

Fulham Bakery is open Sunday's by only til 4 or 5 which I'm guessing wouldn't be late enough.

There's a place on Frederick Rd, used to be called New Taste Noodle Bar who do $4 rolls during the day. Not sure whether they do them at night though. Rolls are OK, but pretty simple compared to the decent ones.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:17 am

wristwatcher wrote:
The Ash Man wrote:

Cheltenham Pde.

Yeah I had tried there dogs and they hit the spot so hoping the dog rolls are round the mark as it's a pretty convenient spot. Looking at property in St. Clair as well, a good dog roll could be the clincher ;)

So I tried these yesterday and it was well below par and I won't be returning
- never had less pork In a Dog roll. He also went out the back to do it when there was pork in the front area :?
- 2 massive tongs full of lettuce and 4/5 cucumbers
- crackling was almost certainly packet

With so many good ones within a ten minute vicinity I can't imagine serving crap like that will get you the return clientele required to sustain trading.
wristwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion