Fox Footy- History Month

Talk on the national game

Fox Footy- History Month

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:52 pm

How good is this!!! Just watching a truckload of games from the 90's where footy was at it's best!!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Re: Fox Footy- History Month

Postby Keefy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Did you see any of the games from the 80's?
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby JK » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Had the 80's on the week before .. The 1981 1st Semi between Collingwood and Fitzroy was an absolute belter!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Watched 80's games and yeah there are some great games. In the 90's I found fitness and football tallent met right in the middle and it was a perfect mix. I could and still can sit down and watch any game of footy and be glued to the screen. Now not so much unless it's my team or a block-buster game. I actually find watching an Amateur game more enjoyable than 95% of AFL matches I see now.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby BZB27 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:17 pm

Watched the 85 grand final last night and Madden and Salmon put on a masterclass.

There were also about 5 afl coaches playing in the game
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:34 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:In the 90's I found fitness and football tallent met right in the middle and it was a perfect mix.

Agree 100%. Also had the right amount of physical aggression and contact, which has gone from the game now.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Watched 80's games and yeah there are some great games. In the 90's I found fitness and football tallent met right in the middle and it was a perfect mix. I could and still can sit down and watch any game of footy and be glued to the screen. Now not so much unless it's my team or a block-buster game. I actually find watching an Amateur game more enjoyable than 95% of AFL matches I see now.

Agreed!

I love what fox footy are doing this off-season- it's so much better than watching the previous season over and over!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:39 am

In the 80s week I would've liked them to source vision from the SANFL and WANFL.

I get that by the 90s the gulf between the AFL and the state leagues was too great but in the 80s, particualrly up until 85, the difference between the VFL and SANFL and WANFL wasn't as big.

Some of the WANFL games in the early 80s were rippers

Steven Michael, Rioli's, Vigonas, Hardie, Moss, Narkle, Krakours, Gibbsy at West Perth....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:38 am

Probably one of the best parts of these 90's games is you don't have commentators talking shit they just stick to the game and aren't trying to be bigger than the game.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:13 pm

In addition to the 80's commentators - especially on the ABC.
Doug Heywood was my favourite VFL commentator. Alongside Drew Morphett, they were a great team.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5455 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Probably one of the best parts of these 90's games is you don't have commentators talking shit they just stick to the game and aren't trying to be bigger than the game.

Hear hear. There's a lot of reasons why I find myself turning away from the AFL product without too much prompting, and one of them is the very low standard of commentary.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:48 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Watched 80's games and yeah there are some great games. In the 90's I found fitness and football tallent met right in the middle and it was a perfect mix. I could and still can sit down and watch any game of footy and be glued to the screen. Now not so much unless it's my team or a block-buster game. I actually find watching an Amateur game more enjoyable than 95% of AFL matches I see now.

Also things like the variety provided by muddy knees and suburban grounds added to it.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:38 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:

Also things like the variety provided by muddy knees and suburban grounds added to it.

Yeah watched Geelong v Hawthorn at Kardinia Park in 96. Ground was shithouse but great game to watch.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:45 pm

And in the early-mid 90's they would just rotate the goals around on the MCG if the corridor was too chopped up, don't worry about just getting better drainage hahaha.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Loved watching some oh the 80s stuff, when footballers still had/were allowed to have personalities. A couple of exchanges between the Maddern bros were fantastic.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:36 am

Whist it's not strictly from the 90's, here's a match that they should replay - Geelong v Hawthorn, 6 May 1989. Hawthorn's massive comeback after being down by 8 goals at half-time, 51 goals scored in total. Gavin Excell :shock: scored 9, Dunstall and Brereton combined for the same amount, and Buckenara with 5 too.

Certainly a preview of what the grand final would hold.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=4510
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:52 am

Magellan wrote:Whist it's not strictly from the 90's, here's a match that they should replay - Geelong v Hawthorn, 6 May 1989. Hawthorn's massive comeback after being down by 8 goals at half-time, 51 goals scored in total. Gavin Excell :shock: scored 9, Dunstall and Brereton combined for the same amount, and Buckenara with 5 too.

I remember that game, both clubs had so much firepower in front of goal back in those days. They also played a thriller in the final round of 1987 that had important implications for the standing of the final 5 (along with Melb v Footscray and Carlton v North Melbourne at the same time).
Last edited by JK on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:10 am

JK wrote:
Magellan wrote:Whist it's not strictly from the 90's, here's a match that they should replay - Geelong v Hawthorn, 6 May 1989. Hawthorn's massive comeback after being down by 8 goals at half-time, 51 goals scored in total. Gavin Excell :shock: scored 9, Dunstall and Brereton combined for the same amount, and Buckenara with 5 too.

I remember that game, both clubs had so much firepower in front of goal back in those days. They also played a thriller in the final round of 1987 that had important implications for the standing of the final 5 (along with Melb v Footscray at the same time).

I had this game on VHS....someone from this site borrowed it, years ago, I can't remember who though! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:39 am

JK wrote:Carlton v North Melbourne

I remember this one too, Kernahan kicked the winning goal after the siren, IIRC.

Also a former AFL CEO played for the Roos that day.
Magellan
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 am

They have the Crows V Eagles 1997 QF on atm. Don't think I've seen this match since i went to it. Hardly remember what happened. McKenna whacked Bond after he marked it (swinging forearm to the side of the head) only gave away a 50. These days it would be 3 weeks :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL