13%
Woodville South
7%

Total votes : 98

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:27 am

jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:
Zartan wrote:Think clubs get cranky not over the discussion of paying players but more the stupid amounts that get suggested.
Well then, why not be precise and correct it????

If someone said to me:

"morell, your mother was born in Egypt". I wouldn't come back and say "no, actually, she wasn't born anywhere near there". I would say, "no she was born in Switzerland".

The point of that analogy is, I am not defensive about where my mother is born, I don't mind telling people. So, using a rather astonishing series of logical steps, the only reason why someone wouldn't want to disclose something as banal and impersonal as football budgets is because they're defensive. So, why so defensive?

"none of your business" is not an answer, its just reinforcing the point that your defensive about it.

There are commercial reasons.

My employers don't let us know what their total budget is for staff salary. We're also (like most people) contractually prohibited from discussing pay with other employees/anyone aside from accountants/financial advisors. This is pretty standard across all industries.

Keeping this information as sensitive as possible is very bloody prudent to protect your commercial position.

Additionally, if you come out here and say you spent $100k on players i dare say you may find the salary cap gestapo breathing down your neck a bit tighter next year!
So you're saying that you don't want to publicise player payments because then other players would want to ask for more? Like PNU Player x is on $50/game, finds out PNU are paying $40k a year and therefore might ask for more?

RE commercial position, I would of thought the opposite is true, so that the bigger your budget, the more public you'd want to make it ... no? It's like on seek, if you wanted to attract a gun you put $200k +++!!!!! in the search description....

My pay is on public record. Pay levels, awards, rates and standards are quite widely documented.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:28 am

twobob wrote:call me a sceptic but i can't help wonder if this conversation is brought about because some recruiters who are looking to find out who is getting paid what in an attempt to recruit them for their own club

Nah I don't think so, could take a pretty close guess at what certain players would be paid - and you'd offer them what you could afford or think they're worth and you'd quickly find out if you're in the ball park lol - don't need a cryptic discussion on SAFooty :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3216 times
Been liked: 4124 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:30 am

Zartan wrote:
twobob wrote:call me a sceptic but i can't help wonder if this conversation is brought about because some recruiters who are looking to find out who is getting paid what in an attempt to recruit them for their own club

Nah I don't think so, could take a pretty close guess at what certain players would be paid - and you'd offer them what you could afford or think they're worth and you'd quickly find out if you're in the ball park lol - don't need a cryptic discussion on SAFooty :lol:
Well clearly this isn't the case, as the entire discussion was initiated due to someone asking what the budget was and the clubs involved saying it was wildly inaccurate.
morell
Coach

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:31 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:It's not defensive, it's just none of your business.
Wow, that's a sentence which contradicts itself in less than 10 words. Quite difficult to achieve that.

I'm quite the wordsmith. Buy a membership, sit through an AGM and you can ask all the questions you like.

I seriously doubt that player payments would be revealed at AGM. That knowledge is only for the football department and the executive, other than that it's none of your business.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:31 am

twobob wrote:other than that it's none of your business.
Wooop, there it is.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:32 am

twobob wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:
Wow, that's a sentence which contradicts itself in less than 10 words. Quite difficult to achieve that.

I'm quite the wordsmith. Buy a membership, sit through an AGM and you can ask all the questions you like.

I seriously doubt that player payments would be revealed at AGM. That knowledge is only for the football department and the executive, other than that it's none of your business.

I would argue that
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 am

twobob wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

I would of thought it would be in the Treasurers report at the AGM?
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 278 times

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:35 am

Morrell i heard Nate Mc Donnell was on $300 a game this year. I heard this from a very good source in the front bar at the Marion Hotel
twobob
Rookie

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:39 am

morell wrote:
jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:
Zartan wrote:Think clubs get cranky not over the discussion of paying players but more the stupid amounts that get suggested.
Well then, why not be precise and correct it????

If someone said to me:

"morell, your mother was born in Egypt". I wouldn't come back and say "no, actually, she wasn't born anywhere near there". I would say, "no she was born in Switzerland".

The point of that analogy is, I am not defensive about where my mother is born, I don't mind telling people. So, using a rather astonishing series of logical steps, the only reason why someone wouldn't want to disclose something as banal and impersonal as football budgets is because they're defensive. So, why so defensive?

"none of your business" is not an answer, its just reinforcing the point that your defensive about it.

There are commercial reasons.

My employers don't let us know what their total budget is for staff salary. We're also (like most people) contractually prohibited from discussing pay with other employees/anyone aside from accountants/financial advisors. This is pretty standard across all industries.

Keeping this information as sensitive as possible is very bloody prudent to protect your commercial position.

Additionally, if you come out here and say you spent $100k on players i dare say you may find the salary cap gestapo breathing down your neck a bit tighter next year!
So you're saying that you don't want to publicise player payments because then other players would want to ask for more? Like PNU Player x is on $50/game, finds out PNU are paying $40k a year and therefore might ask for more?

RE commercial position, I would of thought the opposite is true, so that the bigger your budget, the more public you'd want to make it ... no? It's like on seek, if you wanted to attract a gun you put $200k +++!!!!! in the search description....

My pay is on public record. Pay levels, awards, rates and standards are quite widely documented.

Let's say you're in a workplace that isn't under a CBA/modern award (or a football club) where commercial operations such as payment are not publicised.

Wouldn't you be upset to learn that the inferior employee next door to you (who is however a superior negotiator) is on 25% more than you? Might this cause disruption to the commercial operations of the business as you would either seek to be paid more and/or take your talents to a competitor?

As for total spend, it does require people to do a bit of division and supposition, but any of the employees who graduated year 10 maths could do roughly the same sums.
jo172
Veteran

Has liked: 1219 times
Been liked: 732 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

I do understand some of your point Morell in that paying footballers is still considered "uncouth" as a hangover from the days where it was prohibited. This cultural bias does play a significant part in limiting this conversation.
jo172
Veteran

Has liked: 1219 times
Been liked: 732 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:42 am

twobob wrote:Morrell i heard Nate Mc Donnell was on $300 a game this year. I heard this from a very good source in the front bar at the Marion Hotel
No, Nat plays for the cost of subs. If there is anyone in the world that isn't motivated by money, its Nat McDonnell. He wears op shop suits to our presentation nights. :lol: :lol:

I agree that personalising and getting into specifics about what each player earns is going a bit far as that would be up to them to disclose that.
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:43 am

twobob wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

Individual payments - no, budgets and actuals - yes.
Don't know about your club but most members are only interested in the financial reports.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 408 times
Been liked: 660 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 am

jo172 wrote:I do understand some of your point Morell in that paying footballers is still considered "uncouth" as a hangover from the days where it was prohibited. This cultural bias does play a significant part in limiting this conversation.
Yeah and I guess that's the crux of my misunderstanding. I didn't grow up in footy clubs so this ethos and culture is strange to me.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:47 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
twobob wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:Wow, that's a sentence which contradicts itself in less than 10 words. Quite difficult to achieve that.

Don't know about your club but most members are only interested in the financial reports.
So its $50 for membership and I can rock up and ask precisely:

"How much did "we" spend, in total, for player payments, awards and other incentives"
morell
Coach

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 am

morell wrote:
twobob wrote:Morrell i heard Nate Mc Donnell was on $300 a game this year. I heard this from a very good source in the front bar at the Marion Hotel
No, Nat plays for the cost of subs. If there is anyone in the world that isn't motivated by money, its Nat McDonnell. He wears op shop suits to our presentation nights. :lol: :lol:

I agree that personalising and getting into specifics about what each player earns is going a bit far as that would be up to them to disclose that.

I knew that mate, i have known the Mc Donnells for a lot of years and know what great club people they have been for your club. It was a silly statement and i was just seeing if you were being true to your previous comments on this thread and trying to see if you would react when one of your own players came into question.
twobob
Rookie

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 am

morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
twobob wrote:

"How much did "we" spend, in total, for player payments, awards and other incentives"

Yes, you can ask, that is a members right. No different to asking what we spent on electricity, meat for the bbq, shorts and socks, etc. You have 2 weeks to buy a 2015 membership before they close
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 am

Mr Beefy looks like he just made RFC an extra $50 this year :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:01 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
twobob wrote:

Yes, you can ask, that is a members right. No different to asking what we spent on electricity, meat for the bbq, shorts and socks, etc. You have 2 weeks to buy a 2015 membership before they close
Can I just send you $50 and you tell me so we save a bunch of time?

Zartan wrote:Mr Beefy looks like he just made RFC an extra $50 this year :lol:
and it looks like morell will work out how much money we need to competitive in D6, D5 and beyond. :lol:
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:01 am

Zartan wrote:Mr Beefy looks like he just made RFC an extra $50 this year :lol:

Oh, I just read the constitution, he needs to be nominated and seconded by member and then approved by the committee.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:02 am

Just to be a member or to ask a question?
morell
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League