1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 1st Semi Final - Power Reserves v Centrals

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:01 pm

To make it worse, Mrs DW copped a full belt under the chin when Presbury kicked that goal in the last quarter as I wheeled around punching my fist in the air in celebration. It's not a nice feeling knowing you've hit your missus. I've been trying to make that one up for the rest of the day.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:07 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:To make it worse, Mrs DW copped a full belt under the chin when Presbury kicked that goal in the last quarter as I wheeled around punching my fist in the air in celebration. It's not a nice feeling knowing you've hit your missus. I've been trying to make that one up for the rest of the day.

Australia says No!!!
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:13 pm

So, I'm going to try and write my thoughts on the match without referring to the elephant in the room.
We were amazing in the opening half and it felt that we were throwing so much into the game that, with the hot weather, it might be too Port's advantage later in the game.
Thommo set the standard with his attack on player and ball and our defence was excellent - Muzza and TC2 were fantastic, marshaling any Port forays.
It was much consolation that Port's two goals both came from Butcher's boot - soccered.
Milera was starting to show his class and the Schillers were brilliant, while Presbury inserted himself into the game.
Milera, in particular, silenced any doubts about his class with that snap shot goal where he waltzed around a couple of Port players - that moment will see him drafted a little higher than he might have been.
Then came the third quarter. We kicked seven behinds and bad kicking is bad football. To be fair, I thought there were only two that we should have scored - one from a free, pretty much dead in front.
It was only in this quarter that I noticed the disparity in free kicks. It's rare that you see a team that has been 30 points up with 10 less frees than their opposition. It was an interesting equation.
The last quarter was a blur, I thought we needed three to win. Two was good enough. Just.
Port might complain about the free that wasn't given - but I, honestly, don't think I can comment on that with unbiased eyes. At the time, I thought he'd spilled it in the tackle. A replay on Seven News tonight hasn't made it easier for me to call it a free, or not.
In the end, I don't care, it allowed us to hold on in a gutsy effort, as a fitter and determined Port came back at us.
The noise from the Dogs supporters on the hill was amazing. It's great to be a part of that support group.
Well done to the Dogs players for running back and acknowledging the supporters, my kids loved it, as much as the older supporters around us.
It was disappointing to see Sammy Colquhoun play the way he did. Costly fumbles would have Port questioning him.
While, the old 'favourites' Mitchell and Butcher weren't much chop today and could well have had their cards marked as a result of today, if they hadn't already.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:15 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:To make it worse, Mrs DW copped a full belt under the chin when Presbury kicked that goal in the last quarter as I wheeled around punching my fist in the air in celebration. It's not a nice feeling knowing you've hit your missus. I've been trying to make that one up for the rest of the day.

Australia says No!!!

I know! I've used that line mockingly to a bloke in the past who accidentally knocked his missus over at the cricket. After all of this time, I know how annoyed he must've felt.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:59 pm

I did that celebrating a wicket in Indoor cricket once. Felt the blow on my fist and turned around to face the irate batsman who was just about to clock me. Nek Minnet our keeper just lifts him off the ground in a massive bear hug. After many apologies by myself and shouting the bloke a Beer afterwards all ended well.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:06 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

I did that celebrating a wicket in Indoor cricket once. Felt the blow on my fist and turned around to face the irate batsman who was just about to clock me. Nek Minnet our keeper just lifts him off the ground in a massive bear hug. After many apologies by myself and shouting the bloke a Beer afterwards all ended well.

regards,

REB

Somehow thing shouting a beer isn't going to cut it in this situation :lol:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby another grub » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:22 pm

Well done dogs. Keeping the competition alive.
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby CENTURION » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:33 am

cennals05 wrote:Well done Doggies! Did not expect that. Thought Port would be too strong. Thought we might be a bit short leaving Dallas out. In Roy I must trust.

I BELIEVE IN THE LAIRD!!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:58 am

Praise the Laird!
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby another grub » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:44 am

Get on the dog train everyone....ALL ABOARD.
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby CENTURION » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:58 am

another grub wrote:Get on the dog train everyone....ALL ABOARD.

THE MORE THE MERRIER!!
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:21 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
whufc wrote:
Magellan wrote:Good to see Eric's started to reproduce. The more the merrier ;)

Was there a repeat of last week's altercations with 'security' this afternoon, like people standing up at the wrong time, walking to the bar with their shoelaces undone, or mums applying sunscreen during the wrong quarter?

Maybe ask Dogwatcher!!

Which example?

Exhibit A) I was a little pumped up by the victory and enjoying the moment; security was within his rights to talk to me about standing on the fence.
Exhibit B) 552 provided an example of why some people aren't good at crowd control - customer relations are critical to the job. Smart-arse jibes likely to provoke a response is not a good example of crowd control.

To be honest, I felt like a bit of a goose afterwards.

I'd be wanting a good goose too if I was a Dogs fan
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:36 am

Dogwatcher wrote:So, I'm going to try and write my thoughts on the match without referring to the elephant in the room.
We were amazing in the opening half and it felt that we were throwing so much into the game that, with the hot weather, it might be too Port's advantage later in the game.
Thommo set the standard with his attack on player and ball and our defence was excellent - Muzza and TC2 were fantastic, marshaling any Port forays.
It was much consolation that Port's two goals both came from Butcher's boot - soccered.
Milera was starting to show his class and the Schillers were brilliant, while Presbury inserted himself into the game.
Milera, in particular, silenced any doubts about his class with that snap shot goal where he waltzed around a couple of Port players - that moment will see him drafted a little higher than he might have been.
Then came the third quarter. We kicked seven behinds and bad kicking is bad football. To be fair, I thought there were only two that we should have scored - one from a free, pretty much dead in front.
It was only in this quarter that I noticed the disparity in free kicks. It's rare that you see a team that has been 30 points up with 10 less frees than their opposition. It was an interesting equation.
The last quarter was a blur, I thought we needed three to win. Two was good enough. Just.
Port might complain about the free that wasn't given - but I, honestly, don't think I can comment on that with unbiased eyes. At the time, I thought he'd spilled it in the tackle. A replay on Seven News tonight hasn't made it easier for me to call it a free, or not.
In the end, I don't care, it allowed us to hold on in a gutsy effort, as a fitter and determined Port came back at us.
The noise from the Dogs supporters on the hill was amazing. It's great to be a part of that support group.
Well done to the Dogs players for running back and acknowledging the supporters, my kids loved it, as much as the older supporters around us.
It was disappointing to see Sammy Colquhoun play the way he did. Costly fumbles would have Port questioning him.
While, the old 'favourites' Mitchell and Butcher weren't much chop today and could well have had their cards marked as a result of today, if they hadn't already.

It's a sign of the times, the harder bodies of the Centrals players against the young kids who are (meant to) show so much promise.

Might be all well and good to have quick kids who can run all day when things are fun and games during May and June, but come September there's no point being fit as a mallee bull if you can't play the game as finals are meant to be played.

Thomas was outstanding when he needed to be, a couple of one on ones with Sam Colquhoun made me think Sam was still playing for the Doggies.

Far too many of the young Port side had no impact on the game, out bottom 6-8 not up to SANFL standard, but that's the current set up at play. A few bigger "names" like Moore, Amon and Logan didn't lead the way as the more experienced players should, while that's exactly what the likes of Thomas, Habel, Hoskin and Goodrem did. When it was a big moment to win, they knew how to win it.

Mitchell grabbed the ball on the wing in the last quarter, as he took off I said to my mate "He'll get run down"....lucky I said it quickly, 5 steps later Habel probably made the game saving tackle, it was the last of Port's real chances and the momentum we had got held up, I'm not one bit surprised Mitchell ****** it up, his spacial awareness is appalling. If it wasn't for Summerton, Clurey and Redden it would have been 8 goals+ to the Dogs yesterday.

Can't see anyone beating the Eagles, but, at least let the Dogs get there for some atmosphere on the day. Heck, like yesterday, you might even get people there who don't follow the SANFL anymore yelling abuse at blokes who are playing league football.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby rubbers0ul » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:25 am

to everyone complaining about the non-free in the last 10 seconds.

to me this is a square up from the goodrem non free from a very similar position in the 3rd quarter when he was wrapped up and dragged down from behind by his opponent prohibiting goodrem a clean run and jump at the ball.
rubbers0ul
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 am

Again, very rare umpires influence the winner of the game and with the stats as they are, might have been an injustice for Port to steal it late.

Centrals the better side all day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:34 am

That free kick count was really strange. You don't see it often, particularly in a game that never reached any level of spitefulness.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:52 am

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:So, I'm going to try and write my thoughts on the match without referring to the elephant in the room.

It's a sign of the times, the harder bodies of the Centrals players against the young kids who are (meant to) show so much promise.

Might be all well and good to have quick kids who can run all day when things are fun and games during May and June, but come September there's no point being fit as a mallee bull if you can't play the game as finals are meant to be played.

Thomas was outstanding when he needed to be, a couple of one on ones with Sam Colquhoun made me think Sam was still playing for the Doggies.

Far too many of the young Port side had no impact on the game, out bottom 6-8 not up to SANFL standard, but that's the current set up at play. A few bigger "names" like Moore, Amon and Logan didn't lead the way as the more experienced players should, while that's exactly what the likes of Thomas, Habel, Hoskin and Goodrem did. When it was a big moment to win, they knew how to win it.

Mitchell grabbed the ball on the wing in the last quarter, as he took off I said to my mate "He'll get run down"....lucky I said it quickly, 5 steps later Habel probably made the game saving tackle, it was the last of Port's real chances and the momentum we had got held up, I'm not one bit surprised Mitchell ****** it up, his spacial awareness is appalling. If it wasn't for Summerton, Clurey and Redden it would have been 8 goals+ to the Dogs yesterday.

Can't see anyone beating the Eagles, but, at least let the Dogs get there for some atmosphere on the day. Heck, like yesterday, you might even get people there who don't follow the SANFL anymore yelling abuse at blokes who are playing league football.

In all fairness Booney, I reckon you're more capable of providing a balanced view of issues than the average Port supporter so I'm interested in how you saw the level of crowd support for Port over the two finals so far? Particularly as the SANFL have always seemed keen to keep the Magpies in the comp in one form or another, in an effort to keep hold of the army of fans the Magpies used to be able to muster. It seems to me that the potential of the Magpies drawing large crowds has now significantly diminished?
I didnt attend the GF last year - but am led to believe (rightly or wrongly) it was a pro Norwood crowd?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 191 times

Postby cennals05 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:54 am

Dogwatcher wrote:That free kick count was really strange. You don't see it often, particularly in a game that never reached any level of spitefulness.

The free kick count they showed on the screen at one stage, I think it was 17 to Port and 8 to Central was wrong. It was actually the other way around. I didn't really notice the umpires. Noticed them more in the second game.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:16 pm

Hazydog wrote:In all fairness Booney, I reckon you're more capable of providing a balanced view of issues than the average Port supporter so I'm interested in how you saw the level of crowd support for Port over the two finals so far? Particularly as the SANFL have always seemed keen to keep the Magpies in the comp in one form or another, in an effort to keep hold of the army of fans the Magpies used to be able to muster. It seems to me that the potential of the Magpies drawing large crowds has now significantly diminished?
I didnt attend the GF last year - but am led to believe (rightly or wrongly) it was a pro Norwood crowd?

Thanks, I think. ;)

There's no doubt the Pies have had a number of people walk away and plenty, like myself, who don't have the same level of passion. That's probably what it boils down to, passion.

While the true Magpies fans ( those who did not embrace the AFL entry ) have now walked in the main, I think, they were fairly small in numbers. For instance the cheer squad accounted for quite a few of those, the outer wing at Alberton under the Dads Army Bar quite a few more, so purely from the changes made I think it would be 500-1000 regular attendees no longer go weekly.

Then there's probably another 500-1000 that, like me, attend all/most AFL games and get to most home matches at Alberton. I've not been to many away games in the last couple of years. Even the thick skinned like me can only tolerate a certain amount of mindless drivel and abuse for something I didn't instigate. ( Big shout out to the Westies wanker from earlier this year, the biggest moron I think I've encountered in a long, long time ).

Now there's another wave of people who last year thought not much of the changes made, perhaps denial, hope, call it what you will who are seeing their level of passion and commitment to the cause waver.

So while I can't see an AFL reserves competition firing up anytime soon, the Magpies remain as they are, as does the SANFL, perhaps with some minor changes to the two AFL sides conditions.

Will that bring Magpies folks back? I doubt it.

Might now be a case of we just have as many fans as some of the others sides as opposed to having one of if not the biggest following in the competition.

As for the support over the two finals I think much of the first weeks crowd was on the back of the AFL sides final game the day before and economics tell you not everyone can attend two games in a weekend. It doesn't come cheap and yes, for most Port fans the AFL side is the main priority.

As for yesterday I think it might be about where we are at. About 1000 with some real passion and enthusiasm and perhaps 3-500 who popped in for a look. Like I said above, probably not unlike Eagles, South, Sturt type numbers.
Last edited by Booney on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:19 pm

cennals05 wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:That free kick count was really strange. You don't see it often, particularly in a game that never reached any level of spitefulness.

The free kick count they showed on the screen at one stage, I think it was 17 to Port and 8 to Central was wrong. It was actually the other way around. I didn't really notice the umpires. Noticed them more in the second game.

Well, there you go. That makes more sense - a team playing in front getting the frees.
I certainly wasn't suggesting the umps had anything to do with Port's comeback, as I didn't really notice them either.
I thought the free-kick count was more a curiosity.
Dogwatcher
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL