Surely the AFL can now afford a Reserves Comp

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Surely the AFL can now afford a Reserves Comp

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:21 pm

am Bays wrote:As discussed on here two days ago they can afford it now but they are not going to do it

from this new TV deal the money will go to:

AFL players - as percent sharing as part of their EBA
The clubs - which will be used to hire more staff for their elite players, retire debt, expand footy programs.
Expand the game in the Northern markets - SA, WA and VIC are already hooked so no need to spend the same amount of money there.
Retire AFL debt
A national womens competition
Infrastructure grants
Increasing the payroll at AFL house

The AFl has no need for a reserves competition when it's 2nds teams are playing in good state league competitions which is far cheaper than running an AFL Reserves competition.

It will not happen in the foreseeable future i.e. the life of this TV ddeal.

it will br brought up though, to keep the soverign SANFL, AFL Victoria, WAFL clubs in line as a stick to keep the state league competitions favourable to the AFL clubs.

Get excited about the rumours of a national reserves competition if you wish though

That's not true. The NEAFL is rubbish. One of the major criticisms is the wide gap between playing AFL and NEAFL in Qld. Having a standardised comp would benefit all IMO.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby UK Fan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
UK Fan wrote:BBWWAHHH!!!!

Wont happen.

Especially when clueless/spinless SA football administrators killing its own is so cheap and readily available.

I think you mean spineless, mate.
There's been plenty of spin.

Cant argue.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:51 pm

No they cannot afford to fund a AFL RESERVES competition the money now goes to establish a womens national competition!!

AFL IS A JOKE of the highest standard !!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:01 pm

I guess while leagues like the SANFL are prepared to put up with AFL reserve teams
for a pittance, and say how good it is to assist them,
why would the AFL even bother to consider changing anything.
Which SANFL teams will be the first to consider amalgamation as crowds continue to dwindle?
Ground rationalisation could also be an option sometime down the track.
exit say Unley, Glenelg and Prospect?
We love 'em all but,
just a thought!
Last edited by VALE PARK on Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby UK Fan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:46 pm

Hopefully we can all realise now that the "we can't afford afl reserves" was just another bs excuse.

It has nothing to do with cost
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:52 pm

It has nothing to do with not being able to afford it.. Its about using the money more wisely ie. Grassroots football etc

Take funding from grassroots to establish a reserves competition makes no sense.. In a perfect world we wouldn't have to put up with reserves sides in our local leagues, but why would the AFL waste money on a reserves comp when they currently have there own sides in established competitions already.. It achieves nothing other than pouring millions into a venture that makes them nothing back..

I'd like to see it, but it wont happen unless something drastic changes, and I don't think the AFL are willing to pour money into a wasted venture..
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby JK » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:24 pm

human_torpedo wrote: Its about using the money more wisely ie. Grassroots football etc

Thats questionable, with the amount being pumped into Sydney in the hope that one day it will translate to a bigger audience and thus $$. Let's not even start on the money spent chasing the next Jim Stynes or Mike Pike rather than traditional footballer producing states.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:24 am

JK wrote:
human_torpedo wrote: Its about using the money more wisely ie. Grassroots football etc

Thats questionable, with the amount being pumped into Sydney in the hope that one day it will translate to a bigger audience and thus $$. Let's not even start on the money spent chasing the next Jim Stynes or Mike Pike rather than traditional footballer producing states.

Yeh the Sydney venture is an attempt at growth to produce $$, again, a reserves comp wouldn't be growth or produce $$, it would be down the drain.. Agree on the second part, but cant blame clubs for trying to find a diamond in the rough outside of the playing list.. That's a club issue, the AFL want to try and promote the game globally but im not sure it will gain traction tbh
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:43 am

human_torpedo wrote:It has nothing to do with not being able to afford it.. Its about using the money more wisely ie. Grassroots football etc

The AFL has said it's about being able to afford it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby the big bang » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:59 am

a bit of laziness on mt behalf, couldn't be bothered reading all the posts.....

but as much uproar from old school SANFL supporters are having about the crows and power(magpies) in the SANFL, I assume the old VFL blokes are exactly the same when it comes to whats happened to their league with most of the AFL clubs having their own standalone teams in the VFL?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:03 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:It has nothing to do with not being able to afford it.. Its about using the money more wisely ie. Grassroots football etc

As Jeanie Bueller would say, "Dry that out and you can fertilize the lawn....."
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:25 am

the big bang wrote:a bit of laziness on mt behalf, couldn't be bothered reading all the posts.....

but as much uproar from old school SANFL supporters are having about the crows and power(magpies) in the SANFL, I assume the old VFL blokes are exactly the same when it comes to whats happened to their league with most of the AFL clubs having their own standalone teams in the VFL?

Different kettle of fish.
The old VFA was disbanded and teams were invited by the AFL to join their comp.
Quite the opposite if anything, it'd be like if the 8 SANFL clubs joined a comp run by the AFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby human_torpedo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:00 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

As Jeanie Bueller would say, "Dry that out and you can fertilize the lawn....."

Im sure the AFL could afford it. It wouldn't send them broke and have the creditors knocking on the door.. Just wouldn't be willing to spend money for no potential return
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby RB » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:28 pm

the big bang wrote:a bit of laziness on mt behalf, couldn't be bothered reading all the posts.....

I obviously can't speak for the Victorians, but I think they may be a bit more blasé about it given the circumstances Wedgie mentioned.

Either way, I would be ropable if I had been a supporter of one of the VFL clubs still in it. Reserves leagues suck.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:19 pm

The old VFA clubs, unaffiliated ones, anyway, are getting grumpier about the circumstances.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby StrayDog » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:

Interesting, given we're talking about entities with multi-million dollar playing rosters, and an organisation with a 10 digit television arrangement. For what it's worth, there seem to be no issues flying suburban Sydney, Queensland suburban clubs, and the Thunder, in and out of Darwin in the NEAFL.

Melbourne to Perth is favourable, or comparable, in distance in compared to Darwin to Sydney or Brisbane.

Surely a Western and Eastern conference style setup, splitting the Melbourne reserves sides into one or the other, isn't that inconceivable? Some games planned as traditional "double headers" with AFL league games to reduce some doubling up of support staff. More sides and a more complicated arrangement I realise.

Just throwing it out there.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1159 times
Been liked: 194 times

Postby MatteeG » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Using this round as an example, and the ressies to be curtain raisers- the following sides would have to travel:

Port (to Melbourne)
Essendon (to Gold Coast)
Crows (to Brissy)
Freo (to Melb)
Dogs (to West coast)

Hardly an absolute bank breaker I would have thought. Would keeps squads together on the road etc etc.

The clincher is the lack of return on the ressies. But surely if the ressies play before the league there would be a few who'd venture in early, possibly buying beverages etc? Maybe the home teams could encourage early birds with prizes/activities for the kids ...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:21 pm

umm the old VFL clubs are in the AFL are they not?
The equivalent would be the Crows and Power joining the amateur league, now there's an idea
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2430 times
Been liked: 1668 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL