2015 Ashes

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2015 Ashes

Postby Gozu » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm not liking this talk that the coach and selectors are unpopular with the players at the moment because they were pissed about Haddin being left out last test. He might be the greatest bloke or teammate in the world but he wasn't holding his own and hadn't for a long time.

Nevill's performance last match vindicated Boof's decision to leave Haddin out.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:36 pm

If he was in form then yes he probably should have come back in regardless of what Nevill did. But he wasn't and his replacement performed.

Feck me we have a middle order that couldn't muster 100 runs between them and they are bitching about an out of form good bloke :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:57 pm

heater31 wrote:If he was in form then yes he probably should have come back in regardless of what Nevill did. But he wasn't and his replacement performed.

Feck me we have a middle order that couldn't muster 100 runs between them and they are bitching about an out of form good bloke :roll:

F**king bullshit isn't it. No way his form justifies his spot so he deserves to be left out, that's how it should work. If you aren't performing you have to be replaced.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10368 times
Been liked: 1523 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Trader » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:31 pm

Agreed Nevill has Haddin covered in all areas of the game.

So how do we fix the middle order?
S Marsh in for Voges?
Watson for M Marsh?
Does Haddin play as a bat?

Unfortunately I think it's simply a case of us not having the cattle in the shed that can face genuine swing bowling.

So do you play an extra bat?
Hazelwood struggled last test, so does he make room for S Marsh to bat 3 and slide everyone down one spot therefore hopefully providing a little more time for the ball to deteriorate before the mids have to face it? We saw the tail could make runs once the shine went.
Starc was less than perfect with the ball, and playing just him and Johnson with Lyon and M Marsh could be a problem.
So does Siddle come in for Starc?

The third test has thrown up a lot of questions, I dunno what the answer is.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Stumps » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:36 am

Agree with the decision to put Nevill in but no way he is a better keeper than Haddin. His lateral movement behind the stumps to the quicks is much slower and he doesn't get to balls that haddin would . Haddin is world class Nevill is serviceable. As you say though batting is a big thing now and we have enough blokes who can give it a wack..another grinder (as In Nevill) is v handy for team balance.
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 45 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:30 am

Gee we're quick to bring out the torches and pitchforks, Pup was scoring billions of runs not so long ago and we're calling for his retirement, we ask for youth and they bring youth in, one failure and it's the worst decision ever.
We're not the world beaters that we've been blessed with watching for many years, we do possess a very long list of world class bowlers but we need to be patient with some of the younger batsmen.
I would be pushing Pup back down to number 5 to see if he can find that magical touch again.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7939 times

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:46 am

Stumps wrote:Agree with the decision to put Nevill in but no way he is a better keeper than Haddin. His lateral movement behind the stumps to the quicks is much slower and he doesn't get to balls that haddin would . Haddin is world class Nevill is serviceable. As you say though batting is a big thing now and we have enough blokes who can give it a wack..another grinder (as In Nevill) is v handy for team balance.

You think Haddin is a better keeper than Nevill? Have you been watching the Cricket? I do agree he is not laterally as quick as Haddin however as a allround package he is a far better Cricketer. I like the fact he isnt an absolute tool behind the Stumps like Haddin.
Dont Hate me cause you Aint me.
Ramrod
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Stumps » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:38 pm

Yes and yes. Admit Haddin wasn't his best at Cardiff but when was the previous catch he dropped before that test? We can judge nevill after 66 tests I suppose. Nevill has already grassed one in the two tests he played and didn't even go for one that Voges dropped on his left. Haddin would have taken that on the inside. Lehmann when asked in the reasons for dropping Haddin said 'the cold hard facts are he's played the last 12 Test matches and made 250 runs at 15, with 16 bowleds (sic) out of 21,"

Note No mention of keeping

re: his personality ...it's not relevant. Haddins teammates seem to love him though which counts for a bit more than your opinion
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:48 pm

Stumps wrote:Yes and yes. Admit Haddin wasn't his best at Cardiff but when was the previous catch he dropped before that test? We can judge nevill after 66 tests I suppose. Nevill has already grassed one in the two tests he played and didn't even go for one that Voges dropped on his left. Haddin would have taken that on the inside. Lehmann when asked in the reasons for dropping Haddin said 'the cold hard facts are he's played the last 12 Test matches and made 250 runs at 15, with 16 bowleds (sic) out of 21,"

Note No mention of keeping

re: his personality ...it's not relevant. Haddins teammates seem to love him though which counts for a bit more than your opinion

Haddin had to go, shouldnt have even been on this tour. He's Old no way to argue that, Nevill is going to be the keeper for a long time, may as well get him in and give him experience. Australian selectors have allowed players to play for too long, good to see they made a hard decision for the Benefit of Australian Cricket.
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Australia have announced a 2 test series in Bangladesh mid October, need to start filtering new players in
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Stumps » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 pm

I agree with all assertions in last post Ramrod and Jim. Won't convince me (or Ian Healy for that matter from what he said in commentary) that nevill Is a better gloveman though. Inferior by some margin
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Postby Ramrod » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Stumps wrote:I agree with all assertions in last post Ramrod and Jim. Won't convince me (or Ian Healy for that matter from what he said in commentary) that nevill Is a better gloveman though. Inferior by some margin

I Guess time will tell, He does have a lot to live up to, hopefully the kid does well.
Ramrod
Rookie

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:07 pm

Jim05 wrote:Australia have announced a 2 test series in Bangladesh mid October, need to start filtering new players in

Yep perfect opportunity to give players such as Joe Burns another crack.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10368 times
Been liked: 1523 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby MJ_23 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Haddin a world class keeper alone? Come on guys.

Wouldn't be in the top 2/3 pure keepers in Australia
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:16 pm

MJ_23 wrote:Haddin a world class keeper alone? Come on guys.

Wouldn't be in the top 2/3 pure keepers in Australia

You don't play 66 tests without being a world class keeper, no matter how good a batsman you are.

Whether he is now is a different matter, and nevill has justified his dropping
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 am

Haddin is the best pure keeper in Australia IMO. Nevill to the quicks is fine but we saw when he was keeping to Lyon that he really struggled. Luckily he had Clarke at first slip doing half his work for him. Still happy that Nevill is in though. Haddin's batting is shot to pieces. We saw last time Haddin was replaced just how far behind the No 2 keeper is. Wade almost single-handedly cost Nathan Lyon his test career.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:00 pm

Stumps wrote:Agree with the decision to put Nevill in but no way he is a better keeper than Haddin. His lateral movement behind the stumps to the quicks is much slower and he doesn't get to balls that haddin would . Haddin is world class Nevill is serviceable. As you say though batting is a big thing now and we have enough blokes who can give it a wack..another grinder (as In Nevill) is v handy for team balance.

Haddin can't see the ball anymore. It's bloody obvious. That goes for his batting and his keeping. At his peak Haddin is better than Nevill but he's past his use by date.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:15 pm

Marsh in, Marsh out
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:24 pm

RustyCage wrote:Marsh in, Marsh out

is that what he says whilst he is doin it? :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:31 pm

Clarke seemed pretty focussed at the toss. Hope he can get a few.
I reckon its gonna be no holding back this test.
Unsociable tough cricket (sledging) from us will get us back in the series.
Warner and Rogers are the key.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 504 times
Been liked: 431 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket