Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

by wristwatcher » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:51 am

Broadway Hotel in Glenelg.

First time I have ever been to the establishment and it was busy, clean and spacious. Only had about 45 minutes for a dinner break before having to be back at work so quick service and ordering was a must.

The staff reminded me off the old Robert Palmer film clip "Simply irresistible" as there were 4 heavily made up blondes with tide back hair who could have been quads...and there Mum was working there too. They looked like they had the potential to be incompetent but the service was quick, accurate and polite and we were ordered and seated 5 minutes after entering.

Order was a Chicken Kilpatrick, Fish and Chips and House Curry. With the ent book and we for our various reasons are all on the water (work, pregnant and old) total cost from memory (I didn't pay) was about $42.

Chicken Killer had probably the most authentic Oysters Kilpatrick taste I have ever had. Started off with a mini foodgasm but by the end of it actually ended up being too damn rich. Better than no taste though. Quality cheese in the topping. If this tight ass is paying $21 for a schnitzel it would want to be a quality cut and it was a cracker cooked perfectly.
Fish and Chips. They caught that Shark that attacked Mick Fanning and chucked it on the Mrs plate. It had a gorgeous batter and decent chips.
House Curry was some form of chicken curry that the Mum in law really enjoyed and left the bowl clean as a whistle, also well presented.

Salad bar was excellent and had a very nice seafood salad and a large bowl of cubed mature cheese and some very nice fresh olives among all the standard fare. Meals were out as we all just finished a plate of salad/cheese.

I sat and contemplated what sort of rating I would give it and the unthinkable happened. A young man sitting across from me in my eye line but obviously not aware picked his nose...and ate it. I mean cmon man, there's a f@cken salad bar 5metres away full of greens. I mean everyone has bad habits but surely a nice restaurant is not the place to go the sly pick and chew. :oops:

None the less a 9/10. If you have the ent book it's 2 for 1 and you can take the Mrs for two quality meals for $20... And as little mate showed me you can help yourself to a free entree :D
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

by Pseudo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:34 pm

wristwatcher wrote: A young man sitting across from me in my eye line but obviously not aware picked his nose...and ate it. I mean cmon man, there's a f@cken salad bar 5metres away full of greens. I mean everyone has bad habits but surely a nice restaurant is not the place to go the sly pick and chew. :oops:

[youtube]E-jlQS-Wuc0[/youtube]
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

by HH3 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Heres two reviews.

Firstly, not really a restuarant, but more like a food court passing itself off as a market.

The Market Shed on Holland St in the city.

We went there last Sunday for a casual look, and got a coffee and some jerky. All good.

We went back tonight for their Night Market. Exactly the same, except this time, there were about 5000 people crammed into a small space, and for some reason this time there was a $3 entry fee.

We got an ice cream sandwich, some Kale "chips" (just kale leaves with seasoning) and some jerky and left after about 20 mins of busting through packs.

Now with our plans exhausted, we rang Hogs Breath on Gougar to see if we could be lucky enough to get in, and we were.

Rock up, get seated, look at the menu. Bit pricey. Ok, fair enough. Its a gimicky place after all.

I order the surf and turfy steak (dunno what their name for it was), and get the half serve, coz id filled up on the kale and jerky.

When it came out, the sauce looked bit iffy, and the whole steak was covered in it. Couldnt see the steak actually. When I tasted it, it was the most terrible sauce I have ever tasted. No flavour, very suss consistancy, if you know what i mean. I scrapped it off as best i could. The steak wasnt bad, except one side was cooked well and one side was way undercooked.

Mrs HH3 got the Tex Mex, which is a steak and burrito combo. Looked alright, and she had no complaints.

So two meals and one Coke cost $61.

Wont be going back. The gimmick doesn't warrant that price. Especially with all the other steak houses around the place these days.

Edit - just told the missus i was writing this and she said with a chuckle, "sauce with a weird consistancy that tasted like c*m".

Thats my girl! ;)

Hogs Breath on Gougar - 3/10

*the Coke was pretty good.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

by wristwatcher » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:50 am

HH3 wrote:Heres two reviews.

Firstly, not really a restuarant, but more like a food court passing itself off as a market.

We went there last Sunday for a casual look, and got a coffee and some jerky. All good.

We went back tonight for their Night Market. Exactly the same, except this time, there were about 5000 people crammed into a small space, and for some reason this time there was a $3 entry fee.

We got an ice cream sandwich, some Kale "chips" (just kale leaves with seasoning) and some jerky and left after about 20 mins of busting through packs.

Now with our plans exhausted, we rang Hogs Breath on Gougar to see if we could be lucky enough to get in, and we were.

Rock up, get seated, look at the menu. Bit pricey. Ok, fair enough. Its a gimicky place after all.

I order the surf and turfy steak (dunno what their name for it was), and get the half serve, coz id filled up on the kale and jerky.

When it came out, the sauce looked bit iffy, and the whole steak was covered in it. Couldnt see the steak actually. When I tasted it, it was the most terrible sauce I have ever tasted. No flavour, very suss consistancy, if you know what i mean. I scrapped it off as best i could. The steak wasnt bad, except one side was cooked well and one side was way undercooked.

Mrs HH3 got the Tex Mex, which is a steak and burrito combo. Looked alright, and she had no complaints.

Wont be going back. The gimmick doesn't warrant that price. Especially with all the other steak houses around the place these days.

Edit - just told the missus i was writing this and she said with a chuckle, "sauce with a weird consistancy that tasted like c*m".

Thats my girl! ;)

Hogs breath over rated and over priced. Ejaculation metaphor - priceless :D
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

by The Dark Knight » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:27 am

I've never had a bad experience at the Birkenhead Tavern but going along with the theme of my frustrating day I did tonight. Went there for the old man's birthday, mum and I got the Roast of the Day, pork with Apple sauce, my eyes lit up when I saw it on the specials menu. What I got was a $14 plate of meat soaked in gravy with a tiny dish of apple sauce. The salad bar roast veggies were the veggies to go with your roast pork, IMO it was f**king gimmick and the meat was shit with way too much gravy on it. Mum wasn't impressed either but we made it work, luckily the roast potatoes, carrots and Coliflower Cheese is very tasty. I was thinking about get the mixed grill which my brother had but Ive had it before and it's never been that big. Well my brothers was massive! FFS, I missed out.

The Birk has changed their menu a bit by the looks of things, much to mine and my girlfriends disappointment. They've changed our beloved Chicken Schnitzel Burger to a Grilled Chicken Burger, god knows why they've done it but it has pissed us off, nothing was wrong with it it was amazing as a Schnitzel Burger FFS. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

And while on the subject of changing things, for some stupid reason Pancakes at the Port have changed our beloved Stockman's Brekky small Damper roll to a big bread roll, it's just not the same anymore. Again if it ain't broke don't fix it! FFS.

Today at Pancakes I experienced something very rare. I waited longer in the line up to order my food than I did waiting for it to come out once I ordered it. I was lined up waiting to order for about 20 mins, coz four stupid c**ts in front of me think it's a good idea to decide what they want when they get to the counter rather than decided beforehand. That shits me to tears. The old lady in front of me was pissed off too and she ordered very quickly as did I, I was that f**ked off I didn't even give the girl serving us a chance to speak as I quickly told her what table I'm on, what I want to eat and had the money out and ready to give to here. I waited for my food for about 15 mins and ate it in about 7 mins.

It's my birthday on Tuesday so my girlfriend and I have the day off work and we're planning to go to 127 days for lunch, really looking forward to it!!!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10375 times
Been liked: 1526 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

by Pag » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:21 am

OG Hotel Sports Bar, $16 Pint and Parmi deal. Went the James Squire Golden Ale as it was choice of any beer on tap.

Nice chips, parmi was relatively small but for $16 hard to go wrong.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

by wristwatcher » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:50 pm

Pag wrote:OG Hotel Sports Bar, $16 Pint and Parmi deal. Went the James Squire Golden Ale as it was choice of any beer on tap.

Really good selection in the salad and veg bar though at the OG.

Looks like a good deal especially if you get Jimbob Squire as the beer.

Standard 7.5-8.5 rating that place. Your rating Pag?
wristwatcher
Coach

by Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:55 pm

HH3 wrote:Heres two reviews.

Thats my girl! ;)

I can't say that I find the Hogs Breath in the city too good, over-priced for small quantities.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7941 times

by Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:58 pm

Has anyone tried the Ned Kelly Retreat garlic sauce?

I rang the company that made it a year ago or so and they informed me due to a death in their family they no longer make it but may in the future. Itg really was the best garlic sauce you could buy and now I'm at a loss, I can't find any decent ones.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7941 times

by Q. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:01 pm

Nordburger have added to their menu, including breakfast (which I'm yet to try).

The new Royale burger is a solid 8/10. Tasty and juicy and well held together. Not much different to the Bacon-Double, which is also a winner, so I can see why they went with a successful formula.

The Crinkle Cut Royale Chips are ******* amazing - 9.5/10.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by jakovasaurus » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Q. wrote:Nordburger have added to their menu, including breakfast (which I'm yet to try).

The new Royale burger is a solid 8/10. Tasty and juicy and well held together. Not much different to the Bacon-Double, which is also a winner, so I can see why they went with a successful formula.

I just moved a few 100m up the road from a Nord. Will have to check that out. Nord is usually pretty good.

Will have to be amazing for me to stop driving to 127 for my burger fixes though.
jakovasaurus
Under 18s

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 130 times

by Q. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:29 pm

jakovasaurus wrote:
Q. wrote:Nordburger have added to their menu, including breakfast (which I'm yet to try).

I just moved a few 100m up the road from a Nord. Will have to check that out. Nord is usually pretty good.

Will have to be amazing for me to stop driving to 127 for my burger fixes though.

It's got Rainbow Fresh adjoining the Norwood one now, had their Banana Cream Pudding Cup and I banana creamed into my pants.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by Pag » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Pag wrote:OG Hotel Sports Bar, $16 Pint and Parmi deal. Went the James Squire Golden Ale as it was choice of any beer on tap.

Really good selection in the salad and veg bar though at the OG.

Looks like a good deal especially if you get Jimbob Squire as the beer.

Standard 7.5-8.5 rating that place. Your rating Pag?

Didn't venture into the salad or veg bar. The rump for $16 looked the go (my mate had it) but wasnt in the +Pint deal.

7.5 maybe?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

by mickey » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Usually head to the OG once a week or so, especially now its in walking distance... Can't go past their daily specials, Wednesday steak night or Thursday schnitzel night. Can't go wrong for $10.50
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

by JK » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:03 pm

82 Thai at Grange.

Missus had been before so was keen to get me there to see if her inflated opinion was on the mark.

Started with 2 x Entree's - Scallops and some dumpling things (Prawn and Pork mince IIRC) - Both were exceptional. In fact the Scallops had some of the best combination of flavours I've ever tasted (Soy, Lime, Fish Roe, Fresh Chilli & Coriander). Good start!

Ordered 3 Mains to share, along with a steamed rice. The mains were:

- Seafood Dish with Fish, heaps of squid, coupla prawns, all in a mostly Soy based Sauce with Fresh Chilli.
- A Crispy Pork dish off the specials board (which I believe features quite often) which was pretty good, although possibly slightly overcooked. Accompanying veggies were brilliant too.
- A Chilli Chicken Fried Rice - No glug, very clean and hit the spot.

For 3 x Mains, 2 x Entree's, 1 x Steamed Rice, 1 x Glass of Wine, 1 x Large Mineral Water, total came to $99 which was pretty reasonable. Missus reckons theres a %25 off in the Ent book but she decided to save it for a later date. I was OK with that because she paid anyway. :D (Although I'll probably pay the Credit Card bill when it comes in anyway :( )

Staff were friendly, and all meals were served easily within an acceptable timeframe.

Rating 7.0/10 - Would happily recommend and look forward to getting back there someday.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

by CENTURION » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:12 pm

Hampstead Hotel on a Wednesday night, $12 medium rare Rump plus a schooner of beer, ripper value.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

by wristwatcher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:33 am

CENTURION wrote:Hampstead Hotel on a Wednesday night, $12 medium rare Rump plus a schooner of beer, ripper value.

That's front bar only isn't it chief?
wristwatcher
Coach

by wristwatcher » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:39 am

JK wrote:82 Thai at Grange.

Missus had been before so was keen to get me there to see if her inflated opinion was on the mark.

Started with 2 x Entree's - Scallops and some dumpling things (Prawn and Pork mince IIRC) - Both were exceptional. In fact the Scallops had some of the best combination of flavours I've ever tasted (Soy, Lime, Fish Roe, Fresh Chilli & Coriander). Good start!

Ordered 3 Mains to share, along with a steamed rice. The mains were:

- Seafood Dish with Fish, heaps of squid, coupla prawns, all in a mostly Soy based Sauce with Fresh Chilli.
- A Crispy Pork dish off the specials board (which I believe features quite often) which was pretty good, although possibly slightly overcooked. Accompanying veggies were brilliant too.
- A Chilli Chicken Fried Rice - No glug, very clean and hit the spot.

For 3 x Mains, 2 x Entree's, 1 x Steamed Rice, 1 x Glass of Wine, 1 x Large Mineral Water, total came to $99 which was pretty reasonable. Missus reckons theres a %25 off in the Ent book but she decided to save it for a later date. I was OK with that because she paid anyway. :D (Although I'll probably pay the Credit Card bill when it comes in anyway :( )

Staff were friendly, and all meals were served easily within an acceptable timeframe.

Rating 7.0/10 - Would happily recommend and look forward to getting back there someday.

Good revue. Not to question your rating but your description sounds more like an 8 than a 7.

Thank God the reviews have improved from people talking about KFC during my sabbatical.
wristwatcher
Coach

by Spargo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:45 am

Those truly were dark days for this forum....
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5514 times
Been liked: 5149 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

by JK » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:06 am

wristwatcher wrote:Good revue. Not to question your rating but your description sounds more like an 8 than a 7.

Thank God the reviews have improved from people talking about KFC during my sabbatical.

Yep I'll confess I struggled with the rating. Probably put off by the peanuts on the FB VDR page giving out 5/5 everytime they try a new pup. I always go conservative, but an 8/10 wouldn't have been unreasonable.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion