Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Booney » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Hartlett, Jonas, Westoff, Lobbe, Monfries, Boradbent (although he did get rested for a game)

Hamish IMO cruises, doesnt play to his potential, to busy bumping and punching blokes in the ribs..... let your footy do the talking Hamish!!!
Jonas, breakout last year, from what ive seen beaten regulalry this year.
Westoff...... Lost, one good game this year maybe? I know he fills that second ruck but when ryder is back id consider trying to get him some form
Lobbe, been beaten alot, isnt doing enough round the ground. Apart from monstering Sauce he is below his best.
Monfries, trying to play the negating FWD but still has to hit the scoreboard like he has the ability to. his blokes still gettting the ball
Broadbent, never seen a highly skilful player kick so poorly .

Not saying you drop them all, and undertsand injuries play a part etc etc but saying their performances warrant a spell to find some form..... They seem to get the benefit of the doubt at selection, while blokes like young moore stewert are one game in one game out

Hartlett - Agreed, he needs to focus more on the footy and let his ample frame do any damage in the act of winning the ball, not by any tests of strength he enters into. I think he is also playing more midfield as opposed to half back / midfield and doesn't get to be the player roaming from defence like he did last year. Fair assessment.

Jonas - Disagree, he's playing more of a lock down role this year and Hombsch is playing more attacking meaning Jonas is left more one out as opposed to last year the third man up. As such he's more of a defender and is probably losing the one on ones that last year he was crashing into to spoil. Reasonable assessment...with a couple of caveats.

Westhoff - Frustrating much!?!? Of the limited game time Lobbe and Ryder have had together it's been Westhoff who has looked the most lost. Having said that, against West coast and Melbourne he was the catalyst by changing up the ruck set up to be a more mobile big man. I don't think he's on the chopping block just yet. Reasonable assessment.

Lobbe - The most under pressure ( as noted in my round 12 preview ) as he has really not offered much around the ground this year. Ryder and Westhoff are both mobile, take marks, hit the score board. Lobbe has to do more around the ground in the air, he follows up well and ground level but the best big men in the game take 3-4 marks a game a kick 15-20 goals a year. Lobbes is under pressure. I agree.

Monfries - Had a ripper in his 200th in Alice Springs, needs to be, I agree, more attacking than a negating forward but....every side needs a player in the F50 who locks down on the attacking defender, why? I don't know, but it's his role. It's either him, Gray or Wingard, who would you get to do it? Reasonable assessment but I imagine the coaching staff are happy with the role he is playing. I'd like to see him be a 40 goal a year forward though and not 20-30 with lots of tackles. I think the club saw Neade as the defensive forward but he has struggled to Gus plays the role.

Broadbent - I think he's had some driver/groin issues and has not been 100% fit, if he has been then it's simply a matter of increased attention. Last year it was probably Hartlett copping the defensive forwards attention ( as noted with Monfries above ) and this year it has been Broadbent. I agree, he has been poor with his execution to date. Reasonable assessment.

While I think you're on the money in the main I don't think any of them are at the "Golden ticket" stage just yet.

We're 5-6 and not all hope is lost.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:23 pm

If Lobbe has an average game this weekend, and surely his spot will come under some serious scrutiny, with Ryder due back after the bye.

A ruckman that lays tackles but is low on marks and low on hit-outs to advantage, is surely a liability to any football team.

Agree with Boon's assessment. Probably harsh on Monfries, but the rest are spot on.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:36 pm

Booney wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Hartlett, Jonas, Westoff, Lobbe, Monfries, Boradbent (although he did get rested for a game)

Hamish IMO cruises, doesnt play to his potential, to busy bumping and punching blokes in the ribs..... let your footy do the talking Hamish!!!
Jonas, breakout last year, from what ive seen beaten regulalry this year.
Westoff...... Lost, one good game this year maybe? I know he fills that second ruck but when ryder is back id consider trying to get him some form
Lobbe, been beaten alot, isnt doing enough round the ground. Apart from monstering Sauce he is below his best.
Monfries, trying to play the negating FWD but still has to hit the scoreboard like he has the ability to. his blokes still gettting the ball
Broadbent, never seen a highly skilful player kick so poorly .

Not saying you drop them all, and undertsand injuries play a part etc etc but saying their performances warrant a spell to find some form..... They seem to get the benefit of the doubt at selection, while blokes like young moore stewert are one game in one game out

Hartlett - Agreed, he needs to focus more on the footy and let his ample frame do any damage in the act of winning the ball, not by any tests of strength he enters into. I think he is also playing more midfield as opposed to half back / midfield and doesn't get to be the player roaming from defence like he did last year. Fair assessment.

Jonas - Disagree, he's playing more of a lock down role this year and Hombsch is playing more attacking meaning Jonas is left more one out as opposed to last year the third man up. As such he's more of a defender and is probably losing the one on ones that last year he was crashing into to spoil. Reasonable assessment...with a couple of caveats.

Westhoff - Frustrating much!?!? Of the limited game time Lobbe and Ryder have had together it's been Westhoff who has looked the most lost. Having said that, against West coast and Melbourne he was the catalyst by changing up the ruck set up to be a more mobile big man. I don't think he's on the chopping block just yet. Reasonable assessment.

Lobbe - The most under pressure ( as noted in my round 12 preview ) as he has really not offered much around the ground this year. Ryder and Westhoff are both mobile, take marks, hit the score board. Lobbe has to do more around the ground in the air, he follows up well and ground level but the best big men in the game take 3-4 marks a game a kick 15-20 goals a year. Lobbes is under pressure. I agree.

Monfries - Had a ripper in his 200th in Alice Springs, needs to be, I agree, more attacking than a negating forward but....every side needs a player in the F50 who locks down on the attacking defender, why? I don't know, but it's his role. It's either him, Gray or Wingard, who would you get to do it? Reasonable assessment but I imagine the coaching staff are happy with the role he is playing. I'd like to see him be a 40 goal a year forward though and not 20-30 with lots of tackles. I think the club saw Neade as the defensive forward but he has struggled to Gus plays the role.

Broadbent - I think he's had some driver/groin issues and has not been 100% fit, if he has been then it's simply a matter of increased attention. Last year it was probably Hartlett copping the defensive forwards attention ( as noted with Monfries above ) and this year it has been Broadbent. I agree, he has been poor with his execution to date. Reasonable assessment.

While I think you're on the money in the main I don't think any of them are at the "Golden ticket" stage just yet.

We're 5-6 and not all hope is lost.

All good assessments. Just its at that stage really where a line in the sand needs to be drawn, if that means dropping a bloke who you consider one of your top liners, then that can put the cat amongst the pigeons and get them moving.

As you said 5-6 all is not lost but, geez its getting harder and harder and just appears that the 20-26 best blokes are the ones in and out, while others whos output is below their ability arent feeling that heat.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:02 pm

valleys07 wrote:If Lobbe has an average game this weekend, and surely his spot will come under some serious scrutiny, with Ryder due back after the bye.

A ruckman that lays tackles but is low on marks and low on hit-outs to advantage, is surely a liability to any football team.

Agree with Boon's assessment. Probably harsh on Monfries, but the rest are spot on.

Agreed, one of at least a dozen playing under par.

Wines, Hombsch and Carlisle are the only 3 who stand out for me, Ebert's been more than useful, Gray and Wingard at times but can go missing.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby the milky bar kid » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:22 pm

Is it just me, or does Gray seem to be trying to do too much when he gets the footy?

Yes, he's great at creating space, but at times I feel like he is trying to be too creative, where as last year he seemed to be taking quicker options & creating space that way as well. At times I felt he's been caught in tackles due to the extra time taken.
This year it looks like he's trying to be spectacular, where as last year, his play just looked so natural.
I dare say that the lack of run from those around him has also contributed to this.
the milky bar kid
League - Best 21

Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 238 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:55 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:If Lobbe has an average game this weekend, and surely his spot will come under some serious scrutiny, with Ryder due back after the bye.

Agreed, one of at least a dozen playing under par.

Wines, Hombsch and Carlisle are the only 3 who stand out for me, Ebert's been more than useful, Gray and Wingard at times but can go missing.

Wines has frustrated me at times this year. Wins enough cod, but is just mindlessly throwing it on the boot to waiting zones. Last friday night brought it to a head, as it seemed as though every touch of his was a turnover.

I would love him to win the contested footy along with Moore, Ah Chee, Boak and release to our runners by hand, thus creating space, or at least clear possession.

I was at the crows/hawks game last night, and I was seated in the 3rd tier on the eastern side. Unlike my weekly position at Port games, I got a really good look at the play unfolding.

Hawthorn have two points of difference that stands out above all others. Patience and execution.

The crows were applying some very good defensive structures, but Hawthorn found a white jumper at almost every stoppage, or every forward entry. They had the likes of Mitchell and Lewis winning the contested footy where a Smith, Hill, Duryea, Suckling would be perfectly positioned for the uncontested recieve, and from there they would cut through the zone with ridiculous ease, or if Adelaide's press was well positioned, they would employ a series of switches and short passes and punished the one crows defender who eventually made an error.

Port and the Crows are serial offenders when it comes to wasting the footy under pressure, or perceived pressure.

Seriously- its not hard for team mates to tell you that you have a couple of meters, and it only takes 1 teammate to make enough space to take a mark where the game is under your control- the opposition can't do much when they don't have the ball. From there patience and good skills are all that is required to get scores on the board.

What also sets Hawthorn apart from others is they are offensively predictable to themselves. They rarely move the footy backwards, its either a switch across ground to go down the line, or its a switch across the ground only to cut through the corridor or go through the corridor and out the other side from which they came. It only needs to throw one defender out when tracking his man as well as the movement of the footy to open up enough space for a forward 50 entry, mark and potential shot on goal.

Both Adelaide teams need to get much better in these areas imo.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby GWW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Im actually a bit worried by this week's game.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby carey » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:02 pm

GWW wrote:Im actually a bit worried by this week's game.

So you should be. At least we've dropped a few who simply are just not up to it.

I like the inclusion of Trengrove and Moore.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby FOURTH ESTATE » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:56 pm

Time for all Port people and the Media to realise that Port Adelaide is just not that good, they have been found out and wanting. Your season is over now go away!!!
2017, 2019 & 2020 PREMIERS
RICHMOND, RICHMOND, RICHMOND.

Let that be a lesson to you Sturt. You don't beat Glenelg 3 times in a row in Grand Finals and get away with it.
FOURTH ESTATE
Veteran

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 128 times
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Postby GWW » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:24 pm

You're clearly right FOURTH ESTATE, and I accept that you being a Richmond and Glenelg supporter, you'd be eminently qualified to make that judgement.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Happy Endings » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:14 pm

GWW wrote:You're clearly right FOURTH ESTATE, and I accept that you being a Richmond and Glenelg supporter, you'd be eminently qualified to make that judgement.

Don't forget about Broadview who also tend to play one good game a month. Granted that was today :)
Happy Endings
Rookie

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: West Gambier

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 pm

GWW wrote:You're clearly right FOURTH ESTATE, and I accept that you being a Richmond and Glenelg supporter, you'd be eminently qualified to make that judgement.

I'd have thought richmond's season was far from over
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:04 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

Should make the 8 but not sure they are good enough to win a final, they are in that bunch of 4 or 5 that a are a few notches off the top sides
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby marbles » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Last edited by marbles on Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Ruben Carter » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:26 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

Not yet. Give it time. History suggests they'll finish 9th or make just make finals and capitulate immediately.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby carey » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:00 pm

On form were the worst in the comp.

Gold Coast have a list of Injury's as long as your arm and Essendon are irrelevant that just leaves us. Disgrace
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Spargo » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:22 pm

That's right, only those whose teams have never choked/sucked/crumbled are allowed to comment on other teams.
Highly amusing how posters deflect to other posters' teams when responding to a dig.
I promise I won't bring up pea hearts Carey :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:28 pm

Just read that Jay Schultz wife was taken to hospital today and Jay found out two hours before the game started. Would have been a major reason he didn't look interested today.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:38 pm

**** I'm shocked the bloke even played....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby southee » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:55 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Time for all Port people and the Media to realise that Port Adelaide is just not that good, they have been found out and wanting. Your season is over now go away!!!

When you have people like Rucci writing biased BS stories about Port in the Adelaide media ....We don't have a choice :(
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL