The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby tipper » Wed May 20, 2015 4:08 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:
JK wrote:
IF the Crows genuinely believed they were going to bring through big crowds why didn't they ever try to establish a home base and have their own matchday revenue?

As part of giving Barack to the clubs and helping them increase their game day revenues

sure, that was their "public" reason. but the real reason was to save money. how much would it cost the average SANFL club on upkeep of their ground? watering, groundsmen, grandstand upkeep, lease fees?. it would all add up pretty quickly. and that is ignoring the question of where the crows would set up. what suburb would the "team for all south australians" set up? who would they lease/buy the ground from?

it all would have been too hard, much easier to sell the "you will get an extra home game, with an extra 4k through the gate on top!!" to the easily led club delegates.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby CUTTERMAN » Wed May 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Agree I'm just quoting what their reasoning was in public
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby tipper » Wed May 20, 2015 4:49 pm

gotcha Cman, didnt intend to come across as having a crack
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby HoldenV8 » Wed May 20, 2015 6:39 pm

JK wrote:IF the Crows genuinely believed they were going to bring through big crowds why didn't they ever try to establish a home base and have their own matchday revenue?

Agreed. Not having a home ground could be one of the reasons for their crap attendances. I don't know why they can't play their home games at Footy Park or even Thebarton.
"21 goals 16 to 16 goals 12 and West Adelaide have won it" - Ch.7's Robert Oatey as Westies won the 1983 SANFL premiership
HoldenV8
Mini-League

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Gepps Cross

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 20, 2015 11:43 pm

RB wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I disagree the comp was on a downward spiral in the last few years.

Crowd numbers have been trending downwards for a long time now, correct?

No, relatively stable for a decade before the decline when the AFL teams became involved.
Interest, memberships and sponsorships were relatively stable for that period too.
Having the Crows and Power in is a complete failure.

That's my reading of the figures. The GF crowd in 2013 being the biggest since (I think) 1999 shows that the interest from the general public (cf. the diehard supporter who goes every week) was at least the same as it was fifteen years ago.

The SANFL was affected by, yet survived, the introduction of the Crows and the Power. It has survived other difficulties such as financial pressures (e.g. North Adelaide - mainly thanks to the fans), substantially less media coverage etc.

IMO, the acceptance of $50k from the AFL cancers for admittance into the SANFL is less a concession that the SANFL is somehow inevitably going to fade away than a sign that the six bendover clubs, and in particular the league directors, just didn't have the stomach to work hard enough to maintain interest in the comp.

Take the Eagles for example (who BTW had made a profit in the year before the reserves decision was made despite big write-downs of assets). When asked how the club was going to get new fans from people born from 2013 onwards, given the saturation of the Crows and Power in the media who are now competing in the same competition as the Eagles, Kurt Slaven replied that it was up to us (the ~200 members who'd gathered to hear him) to introduce young fans from our families to the club. Apart from the fact that most of those members were well past the normal child-bearing age, this way is obviously never going to lead to the current supporters being able to even replace themselves.

The six league directors who voted in favour did so, in part, because it was far, far easier to bank a cheque for $50,000 every year than to actually get off their fat arses and do some work in the community, the sort of work that only Phil Herden does. The boards should be doing the same thing as Phil.

No-one can seriously maintain, looking at the crowd numbers, that the interest in the SANFL was on the wane. Additionally, the past has proven that when times are tough re the SANFL, it is possible to marshal support from the people who come out of the woodwork. I fear that the only people who will 'come out of the woodwork' now, are Taylor Walker fans.

Genius post.

Stand for the Eagles board & I'll deadset buy a Eagles membership just to vote for you.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed May 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:But the delegate is appointed by the club to represent the club, correct?

Not when they are looking after their own interests rather than the club

Rumours about Joe surfacing from under a pile of earth again are they?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun May 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Just saw this posted on Facebook by a Port supported in response to a post made by a Sturt supporter, why do Port not get the same kind of criticism that Adelaide do?

"I watched our reserves beat your A grade the other week; I realised how grateful I should be that my club has moved beyond the second-rate feeder league that the SANFL is."
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby StrayDog » Mon May 25, 2015 12:41 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:Just saw this posted on Facebook by a Port supported in response to a post made by a Sturt supporter, why do Port not get the same kind of criticism that Adelaide do?

"I watched our reserves beat your A grade the other week; I realised how grateful I should be that my club has moved beyond the second-rate feeder league that the SANFL is."

Moved beyond? That's just the freakin' point! =))

Almost 20 years in the AFL and they've done just about everything but move out.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon May 25, 2015 1:41 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:Just saw this posted on Facebook by a Port supported in response to a post made by a Sturt supporter, why do Port not get the same kind of criticism that Adelaide do?

I think you should remind the moron that far from moving beyond it, his club recently joined the second rate feeder league when they entered their bloody reserves team in it!
You can also tell him if he really does wish to move beyond it, then good luck finding another second rate feeder league to accept his idiot filled reserves side which seems to have trouble understanding which comp it is in.
The internet, providing a podium for retards since its creation.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Ronnie » Mon May 25, 2015 10:49 am

therisingblues wrote:

I think you should remind the moron that far from moving beyond it, his club recently joined the second rate feeder league when they entered their bloody reserves team in it!
You can also tell him if he really does wish to move beyond it, then good luck finding another second rate feeder league to accept his idiot filled reserves side which seems to have trouble understanding which comp it is in.
The internet, providing a podium for retards since its creation.

There are many honourable exceptions but there is a sub set of Port supporters who are viciously anti SANFL. Apparently the SANFL is to blame for all their ills and they feed off that.
Never mind that when the going got tough in the Primus years so many of them jumped ship quicker than they could belt out NTUA.
For many years it was the easiest thing in the world to say you followed Port, when finals came around year after year and there were always teams like Woodville to beat up on.
In the AFL they experienced hardship in a football sense for the first time in their lives and their instinct was to cut and run. A rancid lot.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby Harry the Horse » Thu May 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Here's a good laugh from the Parrrrrr ... yes, it's the on-field success of Port and the Crows which is killing the SANFL ...

"With SANFL match attendances typically declining in line with on-field success for the state’s two AFL clubs, Port Adelaide has nevertheless decided to enhance Alberton Oval game days for its final five home matches, starting this Sunday at Glenelg Oval."

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2 ... e-pipeline
Harry the Horse
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Harry the Horse wrote:Here's a good laugh from the Parrrrrr ... yes, it's the on-field success of Port and the Crows which is killing the SANFL ...

"With SANFL match attendances typically declining in line with on-field success for the state’s two AFL clubs, Port Adelaide has nevertheless decided to enhance Alberton Oval game days for its final five home matches, starting this Sunday at Glenelg Oval."

LMAO, good to see they set the bar high, yeah we lose to Brisbane and the other team loses to GWS so we're all a success!! :lol:
I'm jealous my AFL team doesn't set such a high bar. :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LPH » Thu May 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Fraudsters!!!
Based on the last month's on-field performances - this is designed to allow Westhoff & Shultz an opportunity to actually get a kick of the footy!
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Thu May 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Harry the Horse wrote:Here's a good laugh from the Parrrrrr ... yes, it's the on-field success of Port and the Crows which is killing the SANFL ...

Makes sense
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu May 28, 2015 10:10 pm

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

Makes sense

LMAO! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Fri May 29, 2015 9:38 am

While SANFL match attendances can be impacted on by on-field AFL success, Port Adelaide has nevertheless decided to enhance Alberton Oval game days for its final five home matches, starting this Sunday against Glenelg.

The website actually says this....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby TimmiesChin » Fri May 29, 2015 11:46 am

Booney wrote:While SANFL match attendances can be impacted on by on-field AFL success, Port Adelaide has nevertheless decided to enhance Alberton Oval game days for its final five home matches, starting this Sunday against Glenelg.

The website actually says this....

Yep, not sure how people can find negatives in Port trying to grow its SANFL crowds irrespective of how its AFL side is going. Would they prefer Port didn't try to get more people to SANFL games ?
TimmiesChin
Under 18s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Mic » Fri May 29, 2015 11:53 am

Power Reserves should not be getting home games.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby topsywaldron » Fri May 29, 2015 11:55 am

No one cares about the Crows and Port SANFL attendances, you know that right?

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby Booney » Fri May 29, 2015 12:03 pm

topsywaldron wrote:No one cares about the Crows and Port SANFL attendances, you know that right?

Excellent. **** up about them then. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL