The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:46 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
LPH wrote:matt35: It rained @ 1/2 time last year & most of the Cows supporters left - or did I hallucinate the outer wing disperse?
Twist the crowd numbers anyway you wish - fact is they are down & so are memberships & the reason is these 2 entities.

crowd numbers were up last year... no matter how you twist it.

whether they are up this year is a different argument, and it looks like they wont be.

Extra game each week of course crowds were aggregate was up. Averages at games was down though.
I think the figures will spiral southwards even further in the next couple of years especially if an AFL reserves side wins it

Aggregate was only up on a couple of years in the history of the SANFL (despite the novelty factor), in fairness despite the extra game there was less rounds which is another reason I hate the changes, we've had 8.5 months between games v another SANFL side, that's ******* ridiculous.\

I must admit in the mid 2000s I was one of the few calling for the Crows to be in the SANFL with a removal of the bye but I overestimated their supporters. Its an unmitigated disaster.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby philcas » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:33 am

yes the hi rarky as usual grossly exagerate the expected crowds these two AFL reserves sides attract to the SANFL
the fact they can get free entry still doesnt attract any real interest from them 500 at best would more accurate.
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Postby PhilH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:30 am

For the record

2014 Minor Round (90 games) - 253,187 (2,813 per game)

2013 Minor Round (90 games) - 235,721 (2,619 per game)

From an overall "whole of competition" perspective I don't think you can make the case less people came the SANFL matches last year than 2013.

That said

- 2013 was a very poor season for crowds.

- last year we had novelty factor of the crows entry &, SANFL showdowns against the novelty of the new Adelaide Oval drawing people from SANFL to AFL games.

Personal opinion, but I think the combination of no novelty factor, staggered, later start to season and poor weather in early rounds will see a major drop in attendances this season.

The 2 Easter weekend games were ahead of last year but no game in Rd 2 or 3 attracted more than 3K.

Four clubs (South, Eagles, West & Port) had less then 2,000 to their home opener which is usually one of their highest attending matches.

Each Tuesday morning FOOT-e TIMES Daily will have a "Crowd Watch" feature which will track progress through the year.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:27 am

Centrals will be lucky to get a bigger crowd than 2000 to another game this year after what they dished up yesterday

Went along yesterday, atmosphere was average, crowd non existent, no bar on the northern hill and less than 100 people up there, entry, foods and drinks completely over priced, style off football was pathetic (yet very effective for the Eagles).

Even the PA system stuffed up during the 'last post'

Only highlight was mate was able to get a park as the opening siren went 100m from the ground and when we left after the final siren was able to pull
onto Elizabeth way without any traffic

Will only be attending home games at absolute most
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby LPH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:58 am

Surely you are not suggesting that attendances are reflecting what was pedaled, Phil?

What about the extra money from said attendances, through patronage of bars & food stands?
What are the Membership numbers @ the Eagles? - You would know that, wouldn't you?
From 3000, 2 years ago - they would be down I'm sure.

Lights @ Suburban Grounds & Night Football has not worked - apart from the 'Walker' one-off, to bring in Crowds.
The pricing of entrance to games is too expensive to entice 'the casual' attendee.

The absence of atmosphere/patrons @ Alberton 2 weeks ago was alarming to say the least.
Not to mention the form reversal of the 'Magpies' on the field since the change - basket case & broke to Runners Up & fully professional players (Butcher, notwithstanding) with endless funds/resources.

Look 10 years to the future:
West, South, Glenelg, WWT - how many patrons/members? Trouble with a capital T, IMHO.
Not to mention Centrals. With the imminent closure of Holdens, coupled with the suggested off-field financial difficulties, can they survive?

Sadly, I think that there is a real possibility of further mergers between clubs in our competition.
This once great League will be reduced to a 'feeder' competition for the benefit of the AFL only.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Reddeer » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:26 am

[quote=".
This once great League will be reduced to a 'feeder' competition for the benefit of the AFL only.[/quote]
Already is just that
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:08 pm

I used to go every week and probably spent about two grand a year between membership, merchandise, functions and beers and pies at the games.

Haven't been to a game this year so far and have spent $25 on my son's membership.

I wonder how many other supporters are in a similar position?
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Killa » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:14 pm

Reddeer wrote:[quote=".
This once great League will be reduced to a 'feeder' competition for the benefit of the AFL only.

Already is just that[/quote]
It's been a farm system since the first AFL draft
Killa
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: South Augusta

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:46 pm

topsywaldron wrote:I used to go every week and probably spent about two grand a year between membership, merchandise, functions and beers and pies at the games.

Haven't been to a game this year so far and have spent $25 on my son's membership.

Not sure what exact figure I use spend a year at Centrals but was comfortably a full season membership, $75-$200 a home game plus would normally have one mate come a week who wouldn't normally go to an SANFL game, normally would pay for at least one presidents lunch a year, plus utilise grand central through out the week

I spent $20 at the footy yesterday, don't have a membership, and don't encourage any other mates who don't go already to tag along
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:02 pm

topsywaldron wrote:I used to go every week and probably spent about two grand a year between membership, merchandise, functions and beers and pies at the games.

Used to go to every game, have organised player sponsorships before and was in the Presidents Group for 3 years when I spent thousands of dollars.
Grogs used to go to most social functions where we'd spend thousands of dollars.
I came runner up for volunteer of the year one year due to my involvement.
We even went to games in Darwin and the ACT.
Now just have a membership to save money on home match tickets and only go to 2 or 3 away games.
10 years ago I'd even go to about two or three SANFL matches a weekend not involving North.
I know at least 20 people who used to be members who aren't now.
My kids used to go to every game, now only finals, even lined up a gig for my daughter to be a trainer at South this year, not North.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:06 pm

Unfortunatly we all got screwed over for a couple hundred of people who don't pay to get in, don't have memberships and don't give a flying f**k about the leagues exsistance beyond where there reserves will play

Sounds like a sound business plan
whufc
Coach

Postby Mic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:08 pm

It was the only way the SANFL could move forward. :roll:
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Alienating your core customer base is always a way to move forward after all.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby sjt » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:36 pm

It's got so unenjoyable, the whole "foundation" of the competition that my sons actually playing soccer and basketball. I'll only go to home games now, won't support the clubs with pathetic spineless boards. Had been going for the last 37 years. Hard to support a comp with no integrity.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby LPH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:29 pm

Spot on sjt...

No longer a Member of any Club - nor my son.
He & I went virtually every week for 10 years - sadly, he has a rekindled interest in the AFL & his Club, Melbourne.

We've given our Membership money to Adelaide United.

I go to the occasional 'neutral' SANFL game - Friday night @ AO for example, but don't put money over the Bar or thru the TAB - as I once did by getting to the ground around Midday & spending 2 hrs in there (e.g. Westies, Port, Eagles, etc).

But it's not the same 'feeling' going to the footy - as the 'passion' of supporting YOUR Club is not there, in fact I struggled with that in 2014, following South - just wasn't the same.

:(
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Mic » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:20 pm

I find it very hard to care as much as I used before the AFL reserves sides started. I still go every week, but the usual passion isn't there.

This probably worked out well though because North have been crap since the start of last year!
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby dogbreath » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:55 pm

Fantastic job SANFL . Can't say we didn't tell you so. %-(

Watch this once great comp now wither on the vine.
dogbreath

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:57 pm

I've got mates from various clubs that have refused to renew their memberships or go to games. I don't blame them. I'm still a sturt season member but I'm not sure I'll go to any of the AFL reserves games this year. Went to them last year and it just stuck in my guts and made me angry and disappointed. If this is the future of footy then it has none from what I can see. Burn the fabric of the code and you've got nothing, if it all goes up the shit including the AFL then I couldn't give a crap.
Soccer is a good comp to follow, some of the same mates are doing the same
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:57 am

dogbreath wrote:Fantastic job SANFL . Can't say we didn't tell you so. %-(

Watch this once great comp now wither on the vine.

It did a long time ago
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Cambridge Clarrie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:28 am

I can't believe people are still going on about this... :roll: Move on...
"They do say, Mrs M, that verbal insults hurt more than physical pain. They are, of course, wrong, as you will soon discover when I stick this toasting fork into your head"
Cambridge Clarrie
League - Best 21

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 31 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL