Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Best Bets? Talking Odds? This is the place.

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:29 pm

No surprise given weather
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11912 times
Been liked: 3627 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Spargo wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
OnSong wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:The ride on Kermadec was very A Coome like

Ack!

its in today

SR - 8 - 14 about the $6

today Ryan Moore rides
shouldn't get blocked for a run from barrier 11

The owner was on TAB radio yesterday - good chance he thinks.
I'm forgiving the last run of Jopa today at Doomben & taking the each way odds.

Kermadec wins the Donny and carried 2kgs more than allotted
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:15 pm

stampy wrote:very poor crowd at oakbank

we were there. We estimated anything from 5k to 10k. Any idea what the official figures were? Oakbank Racing Club would be ropeable about the weather.

That's the coldest I've ever been at the races. It went from ridiculously cold to warm and balmy. I think we had all four seasons in one day, 6 times.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:27 pm

13,000 was mentioned on the news
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby OnSong » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Brodlach wrote:13,000 was mentioned on the news

So about 8000
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby stampy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:13 pm

used to get 60k plus easter monday
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 335 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby helicopterking » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:24 pm

Don't worry about the 50k that turned up. Worry about the 12 losers who protested about jumps racing like the news did.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:04 pm

A question I have about the protesters - if they successfully get it banned here, will they move to the UK? Jumps racing is big over there.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 181 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:16 pm

spell_check wrote:A question I have about the protesters - if they successfully get it banned here, will they move to the UK? Jumps racing is big over there.

Hope so. If they're serious, they will.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:35 pm

Does anyone know a racing fan that would be the slightest bit disappointed if Jumps Racing was removed from the Australian program? Dr Turf is about the only one I've ever heard with any sort of passion toward it.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:39 pm

JK wrote:Does anyone know a racing fan that would be the slightest bit disappointed if Jumps Racing was removed from the Australian program? Dr Turf is about the only one I've ever heard with any sort of passion toward it.

Not really a horse person but it opens the door to the recent occurrences in the greyhound industry where mass disposal of animals have been discovered. At least with a jumps industry they can find another calling. They can't all end up as pets.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby JK » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:43 pm

heater31 wrote:
JK wrote:Does anyone know a racing fan that would be the slightest bit disappointed if Jumps Racing was removed from the Australian program? Dr Turf is about the only one I've ever heard with any sort of passion toward it.

Not really a horse person but it opens the door to the recent occurrences in the greyhound industry where mass disposal of animals have been discovered. At least with a jumps industry they can find another calling. They can't all end up as pets.

Fair call. I once heard an expert argue that a high percentage of these horses never exist if jumps racing stops. From memory he had vested interests in backing that side of the argument so Im not sure of the validity of his claims.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:49 pm

I went yesterday and my mate said to me before the Great Eastern "do you want to go up toward the jump". I said "no" because if my kids followed me up there and one of the horses didn't quite make it over the jump successfully, they'd be scarred for life.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:50 pm

JK wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Fair call. I once heard an expert argue that a high percentage of these horses never exist if jumps racing stops. From memory he had vested interests in backing that side of the argument so Im not sure of the validity of his claims.

If they don't become jumpers then it's the Equestrian competitors looking for a horse but sometimes the animal is good until it's late teens for what they want. Not a High turnover rate.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:39 am

It's a very good point mate. I follow the nags pretty closely, as you know, but I couldn't care less if jumps racing was banned. Then again, my lively hood isn't reliant upon Oakbank or Warrnambool Racing Carnivals. I can't see Oakbank being any less attractive if the races were run on the flat and really that's what we're talking about here, two carnivals throughout the year that attract negative attention.

I wouldn't be upset if it was banned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:05 am

Wouldn't worry me if it was banned, maybe they need to do it over a 3-4 year period by natural attrition though by not allowing any new horses to compete and it will slowly cease.

For Oakbank I reckon they could make it a stayers type carnival, you see it in the UK where there are regular flat races over 3000m, do the same here and some or the hurdlers could look at that option before retirement.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:55 am

Dutchy wrote:Wouldn't worry me if it was banned, maybe they need to do it over a 3-4 year period by natural attrition though by not allowing any new horses to compete and it will slowly cease.

For Oakbank I reckon they could make it a stayers type carnival, you see it in the UK where there are regular flat races over 3000m, do the same here and some or the hurdlers could look at that option before retirement.

NZ have similar races, purely staying events. I like the idea of phasing it out over a few years, good idea.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:06 pm

perhaps if there were more staying races, it would stop the amount of horses being purchased from overseas

as for the jumps, well if a horse don't wanna jump, it wont
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:

It's a very good point mate. I follow the nags pretty closely, as you know, but I couldn't care less if jumps racing was banned. Then again, my lively hood isn't reliant upon Oakbank or Warrnambool Racing Carnivals. I can't see Oakbank being any less attractive if the races were run on the flat and really that's what we're talking about here, two carnivals throughout the year that attract negative attention.

I pretty much avoid betting on Jumps races, just because I have no knowledge of the runners and no inclination to learn about them, so I'd be happy to see all races on the flats.

The suggestion of more staying races is a great idea, given the reduction in quality stayers this country produces these days (basically because there's so much more prizemoney opportunities for the sprinters and mid-distancers).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:24 pm

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:

I pretty much avoid betting on Jumps races, just because I have no knowledge of the runners and no inclination to learn about them, so I'd be happy to see all races on the flats.

The suggestion of more staying races is a great idea, given the reduction in quality stayers this country produces these days (basically because there's so much more prizemoney opportunities for the sprinters and mid-distancers).

I too avoid betting on jumps, especially at Oakbank. I struggle picking winners over 1200m on the flat, let alone 4950m with 16 jumps in play!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  The Gambling Room