West Coast Eagles Season 2015

Talk on the national game

West Coast Eagles Season 2015

Postby MJ_23 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:06 pm

Looks like its going to be a tough year for the Eagles in 2015.

After a disappointing 2014 there was some hope that 2015 would be better under second year coach Adam Simpson but injuries and retirements as well as questionable drafting over the years are going to bite the Eagles and bite them hard.

Former captain Darren Glass retiring, Beau Waters body not holding together, Eric Mac doing his ACL and now Mitch Brown doing the same thing leaves the backbone incredibly undermanned. West Coast could give up some really really big scores and most of the work will fall to the much improved McGovern

The midfield is shallow, one paced and not overly skilled. Shuey has the most potential in a game breaking sense yet struggles with consistency and breaking a tag, Priddis is a plodder who's skills are deplorable yet he certainly brings something in regards to clearances, Selwood is a tagger,Wellingham has been a bust, Gaffs development is questionable and Sheppard, Sheed and co are still development. Our best midfielder is our ruck man!

The problem with that is the forward line is ready now! Josh Kennedy, Mark LeCras, Jack Darling and Jamie Cripps form a dangerous combination yet time is ticking and i can't see the midfield developing quick enough to be a force in the coming years.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Re: West Coast Eagles Season 2015

Postby DOC » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:37 pm

"Priddis is a plodder who's skills are deplorable"

Big wrap for the Brownlow winner.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby MJ_23 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:47 pm

DOC wrote:"Priddis is a plodder who's skills are deplorable"

Big wrap for the Brownlow winner.

I like him, his clearance work is terrific and he adds a lot around the ball but i stand by his skills and pace comments
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby helicopterking » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Interesting your thoughts in regarding Shepard. Been on the list now for 6 years for very little improvement, in both skill and size and he was a first round pick. I just think he is no good.
Before the start of the year when Waters was looking at returning, and now losing our 2 main backs have totally ruined us.
Darling may need to return and play full back or CHB, he may be able to do this with the limited time on the track.
When we try slow the game down and kick down the line, we are pathetic. But to play the type of footy Simpson is trying, you need plenty of rotations through the midfield, which we don't have.
With the team we had last night, Unless you can rotate through the midfield and contribute, you don't play. Being a pro flanker is not good enough for us. McGinnity provides very little and has no scope. We must have a better option(Karpany,Newman), we have to see these guys at some stage.
Sheppard out, he got rag dolled by Stringer last night, who is a second year player. I think Wellingham is better then Sheppard he goes and plays down back we can roll him through the midfield at times, where I don't think Sheppard can play in the midfield.
We lack quality kicks in the midfield, with any sort of pace. Selwood and Priddis do a fair bit of the heavy lifting, and the other blokes like Gaff,Masten,Sheed don't do any defensive running. Hurn needs to play through the midfield, but with our backline is all sorts, he will spend most his time down back.
It was good to see Nic Nat a lot fitter and getting to a lot more contests. Still, zero marks last night and he would have got his hands to at least 5 marks he should have taken.
McGovern looks like he will a serious player, Lamb looks like he can play a bit.
Lecras must play half forward, he has polish, which we lack, and he sets up more goals then he kicks.
Yeo looks good, he has pace and takes the game on.

A long, frustrating season awaits. We need to start getting games into some of these younger guys and see what they have.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby MJ_23 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:30 pm

helicopterking wrote:Interesting your thoughts in regarding Shepard. Been on the list now for 6 years for very little improvement, in both skill and size and he was a first round pick. I just think he is no good.

Yeah he has been frustrating, but i thought he was good early last night and he showed a bit last year. He is contracted until the end of 2016 so i guess this is his make or break year really.

With the team we had last night, Unless you can rotate through the midfield and contribute, you don't play. Being a pro flanker is not good enough for us. McGinnity provides very little and has no scope. We must have a better option(Karpany,Newman), we have to see these guys at some stage.

We will certainly see these guys during the year. McGinnity was very good on Murphy after quarter time.

Sheppard out, he got rag dolled by Stringer last night, who is a second year player. I think Wellingham is better then Sheppard he goes and plays down back we can roll him through the midfield at times, where I don't think Sheppard can play in the midfield.

Stringer is a man child and was't the right match up for Shep. Agree on Wellingham, hopefully he can give some run and dash and skills, his first 2 years have been disrupted by work ethic and injuries.

We lack quality kicks in the midfield, with any sort of pace. Selwood and Priddis do a fair bit of the heavy lifting, and the other blokes like Gaff,Masten,Sheed don't do any defensive running. Hurn needs to play through the midfield, but with our backline is all sorts, he will spend most his time down back.

Thats why we got Wellingham when we gave up our first rounder, Thats why we got Sheed? Thats why we got Duggan and Gaff and Shep. Our recruiting is poor. Yeah no chance of seeing Hurn through the middle now

It was good to see Nic Nat a lot fitter and getting to a lot more contests. Still, zero marks last night and he would have got his hands to at least 5 marks he should have taken.

Yeah i said the same thing, he missed a few marks that ruck men have to take but he showed some really good signs

McGovern looks like he will a serious player, Lamb looks like he can play a bit.
Lecras must play half forward, he has polish, which we lack, and he sets up more goals then he kicks.
Yeo looks good, he has pace and takes the game on.

McGovern improvement since he got sent away from the group last year has been incredible, Yeo could be an A grader and agree on Lecca

A long, frustrating season awaits. We need to start getting games into some of these younger guys and see what they have.

We could easily finish bottom 3. Top 3 pick would be handy. Throw some money at Rance as well and possibly Matera from GC
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby westozfalcon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Liam Duggan has been impressive in the WAFL so far this year.

I think he's set for an AFL debut very soon.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby stan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

This will be a long season again for us. Our midfield is slow and one paced and just not good enough. Priddis and Sheuy are good players but they seem to get most of the attention and can be worked out of matches and there just isnt the support around from the next tier.

Time to get Duggan into the mix a bit.

There are some good signs for us, so its not all doom and gloom. McGovern, Yeo and Lamb are all showing promise which keeps the faith a bit. But we need players like Gaff, Masten and Wellingham to step up a bit.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Also Dom Sheed people, want to see more from him. Not a good start to the season for him, but lets give him plenty of time.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MJ_23 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:56 pm

stan wrote:Also Dom Sheed people, want to see more from him. Not a good start to the season for him, but lets give him plenty of time.

No doubt, wasn't counting him out. He, Duggan and a few others need to be given plenty of game time this year
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby helicopterking » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:04 am

Another week and an ever increasing injury list.
Selwood out will hurt us, looks like a similar injury to the one he suffered last year.
Butler aswell.
Scholfield in, but will be underdone.
Will be good to see Duggan go around this week. Looks like he has a touch of class about him.

Not overly confident in tonight's game. Carltons Mids will rip us apart and I'm predicting between Judd,Gibbs and Murphy they will kick 6-8 goals between them.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:47 pm

I'm surprised Lamb got the chop.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:I'm surprised Lamb got the chop.

regards,

REB

Shanks to a poor effort last week, perhaps he was under done.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby MJ_23 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:19 pm

helicopterking wrote:Another week and an ever increasing injury list.
Selwood out will hurt us, looks like a similar injury to the one he suffered last year.
Butler aswell.
Will be good to see Duggan go around this week. Looks like he has a touch of class about him.

Not overly confident in tonight's game. Carltons Mids will rip us apart and I'm predicting between Judd,Gibbs and Murphy they will kick 6-8 goals between them.

Schofield only got through a half last week in the WAFL so interesting to see how he goes, Selwood had little to no impact last week so not a huge loss but interested in his injury, same ankle? Came in under done again?

Bennell for Butler is an upgrade and should have been playing round 1.

Excited to see Duggan.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Postby helicopterking » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:49 pm

MJ_23 wrote:
Butler aswell.

Schofield only got through a half last week in the WAFL so interesting to see how he goes, Selwood had little to no impact last week so not a huge loss but interested in his injury, same ankle? Came in under done again?

Excited to see Duggan.

I think you under-estimate Selwood, layed 12 tackles last week, and is the only mid that attempts to run back to help our defence. Lacks polish, but is our only defensive mid.
Why Bennell doesn't get lots of it and isn't the greatest defender, he uses the ball well and provides some run.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

You blokes deserve a roasting for that rubbish.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby JK » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

Might need some time off. Maybe a Year OS would do him some good.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MW » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

regards,

REB

cutlet it out
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby JK » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:04 pm

Just doesn't seem capable of a forequarter effort
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby helicopterking » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Lamb will Rack up a few more games by seasons end.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby MJ_23 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:14 am

helicopterking wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:
Butler aswell.

Excited to see Duggan.

I think you under-estimate Selwood, layed 12 tackles last week, and is the only mid that attempts to run back to help our defence. Lacks polish, but is our only defensive mid.
Why Bennell doesn't get lots of it and isn't the greatest defender, he uses the ball well and provides some run.

Don't under estimate Scooter at all just think he was under done, and was shown out in second half.

Good win tonight, Plenty of great contributors but how good was JK against his old club!!
MJ_23
Under 16s

Next

Board index   Football  AFL