Aus v Ind Test Series

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

Postby mal » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:39 pm

mal wrote:H Singh...... C Hussey B Clarke 7 [14]
R Singh...... LBW Clarke 0 [1]
I Sharma... C Hussey B Clarke 0[3]

Also in that innings
W Jaffer 0 [4]
Y Singh 0 [3]

Those 5 batsmen faced a total off 25 balls for the 5 wickets
Selective , picking out those 5 , but it did happen

4 wickets in 24 balls is improbable but not impossible
But still worth trying for it , surely

Dhoni escapes with a 24 not out
He had little to gain and much to lose if he gets out
Why not nail him and erode his confidence before the 4th test

NO need to erode Dhonis confidence now
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 926 times

Postby Brodlach » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:41 pm

bennymacca wrote:Breaking news: MS Dohni retires immediately from test cricket!

Bye, next!

Never a big fan of Dhoni
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:44 pm

Laterz you flat track bully
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Keefy » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:47 pm

Brodlach wrote:

Bye, next!

Never a big fan of Dhoni

Not a Captains A'hole
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Interested to hear his reasons for the immediate retirement, massive surprise. Does have the hardest gig in world cricket as the Indian captain and I think he did a great job, took them to the number 1 test side in the world. I was looking at his numbers today, brilliant ODI player but his test numbers aren't as good as what they probably could have been, was a flat track bully but will be sorely missed as whoever replaces him has massive shoes to fill.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby tnt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:15 pm

Dhoni is currently #22 on Forbes list of highest paid sportsmen. Did get to #16 a year or two ago.

#22 Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Total Earnings: $30 million
Salary/winnings: $4 million
Endorsements: $26 million
tnt
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby dedja » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:09 pm

The reasons for Dhoni's Test retirement makes sense.

If his heart's not 100% into Tests and he wants to continue in ODI and T20's, then why hang around. Has always been a laconic figure at best, devastating when in form but horrendous when not interested.

Clearly figjam is much more passionate about winning and playing for his country ... and himself. Probably what India needs now instead of a seemingly disinterested Dhoni.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:40 pm

yep good post
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby dedja » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:55 pm

How many visiting tourists have fallen on their sword over the years? The list is growing.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby philcas » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:38 pm

I am a bit disapointed &confused about todays draw& the aussies captains after match comments . He seemed to contridict himself with words &actions. He decided to declare with a score 380 ahead with two session's for india to bat.
first he said that the pitch &ball wer doing some tricks early in the day therefore our batting didnt push to hard so to get a decent lead . Then said that we didnt have enough time to get them out. He also mentioned that the most important thing was to win the series .
We needed to push early get a lead of 330-350 halfway through the morning session. Give india a small sniff to keep them interested also giving ourselves more time to get India out. I am sure the missed chances didnt help, but you cant totally blame that. We had an opportunity to force a win but we didnt read the game &conditions well enough to realise that 300 would have been plenty we needed enough time to take 10 wickets on a pitch that wasnt breaking up enough to cause any real issues for top order batsmen but if we got India to take more risks even at 3 down the result could have been differant
Not taking some risks in a test match leads to the inevitable draw
philcas
Rookie

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Athelstone

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:16 am

philcas wrote:I am a bit disapointed &confused about todays draw& the aussies captains after match comments . He seemed to contridict himself with words &actions. He decided to declare with a score 380 ahead with two session's for india to bat.
first he said that the pitch &ball wer doing some tricks early in the day therefore our batting didnt push to hard so to get a decent lead . Then said that we didnt have enough time to get them out. He also mentioned that the most important thing was to win the series .
We needed to push early get a lead of 330-350 halfway through the morning session. Give india a small sniff to keep them interested also giving ourselves more time to get India out. I am sure the missed chances didnt help, but you cant totally blame that. We had an opportunity to force a win but we didnt read the game &conditions well enough to realise that 300 would have been plenty we needed enough time to take 10 wickets on a pitch that wasnt breaking up enough to cause any real issues for top order batsmen but if we got India to take more risks even at 3 down the result could have been differant

we have won the series... So he was spot on.

Why did we need to take any risks?

Like i said in a earlier post. If Smith declared earlier and they run down the total, he would cop flak for leaving India in the series. Do what he did and cops flak. Cant win. Hindsight is a wonderful thing
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:31 am

Guess it comes downto how people view test cricket

Do you care about the series result or do you just like to watch each test as an individual game and not fussed about series results

Very similar debate to the coach who rest players looking to the bigger picture compared to the coach who always plays his best team at the time
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5611 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:09 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:S.Marsh?? Really? I think we're in trouble if we're relying on Watto and Marsh to bat themselves into form which I cant see happening anytime soon. Why not try some new fresh blood and get them ready for the Ashes series in England next year?

I think I may have secretly saved his spot for now. I bet his ears were burning and that encouraged him to bat well.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:17 am

Grahaml wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:That's the thing you're going to expect from Warner. You're either going to get a quick fire 100+ or a short lived 0 - 40. I know they have Rogers (all depends how long he lasts) there to be the one who goes about his business. But if Warner keeps achieving low scores, how long will CA keep affording to have a player like him in the side?

Just a thought. Not saying that he will just a hypothetical.

Wow, this post is staggeringly bad. For one, he's scoring bucketloads of runs. This series he's averaging 53, no way can you say he's out of form! Particularly when you consider he copped on on the thumb in Brisbane and then another this test on the arm that clearly hampered him. Secondly he usually does get out playing defensive shots. It's not like he can't pick the balls to put away or that he can hit. He just hits bad balls, respects good ones. To those who din't understand the game (like you) it can seem like a lottery but it's certainly not. Thirdly the quicker you score, the greater chance of winning a game you have. When players scored at 2 runs an over it seemed like every game was drawn or very nearly. These days draws seem exciting because they're so rare and often require something unusual to happen. There are a bunch of other reasons it's better, but I guess I'm no chance of you understanding them. Take it from Bill Lawry or Ian Chappell then. Those guys are often critical of guys who don't score quickly and praise batsmen who do purely because it's a better method.

So who's a better opener? Hayden/Langer?Warner?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 am

Id take Hayden
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11915 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:43 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
philcas wrote:I am a bit disapointed &confused about todays draw& the aussies captains after match comments . He seemed to contridict himself with words &actions. He decided to declare with a score 380 ahead with two session's for india to bat.

we have won the series... So he was spot on.

Why did we need to take any risks?

Like i said in a earlier post. If Smith declared earlier and they run down the total, he would cop flak for leaving India in the series. Do what he did and cops flak. Cant win. Hindsight is a wonderful thing

The decision would have been heavily influenced by Boof too, don't be hanging Smith out to dry.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 1223 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Coach Bombay » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:21 am

Kohli will make a very good long term captain. Very impressed by his batting this series, and also the way he went for the win on day 5 in Adelaide when Dhoni was out. Going to be a beauty.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:29 am

Brodlach wrote:

Bye, next!

Never a big fan of Dhoni

Have to say that India will NEVER have a player of the likes of Tendulkar represent their country again. Im not just talking about all the runs he made. But by how he was modest and humble off the pitch.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Jim05 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:32 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Brodlach wrote:

Bye, next!

Never a big fan of Dhoni

Have to say that India will NEVER have a player of the likes of Tendulkar represent their country again. Im not just talking about all the runs he made. But by how he was modest and humble off the pitch.

The same Tendulkar who stuck up for Harbajhan and accused Symmonds of making up the monkey claims?
Great player but he lost my support after that
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:02 am

So dracular is in charge of the blood bank now :lol:

Should make for an interesting New Years test. He may have to pull his head in a touch now and think a little more about the team.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket