Your top 5 cricket books

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Your top 5 cricket books

Postby am Bays » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:1. WG Grace - Simon Rae

This is a brilliant book about the Great Cricketer that I have read and reread on many occasions. This book does not diefy WG and presents a 'warts and all' look at perhaps the most controversial figure in Cricket history. When you read this book you will soon learn how WG Grace was perhaps the first sport 'superstar'. He was bigger than the game itself and his dominance over his peers almost rivals Bradman. Brilliantly written with some excellent cricket and non-cricket photographs and with a solid statistical summation as well.

2. Jack Fingelton: The man who stood up to Bradman - Geoff Growden

Growing up I thought of Jack Fingleton like many others did at the time, just one of many jealous peers of the incomporable Don who were making whine with sour grapes. However after reading this book it is clear there are not only two sides 'to the story' but there were also two sides to the Australian dressing room at the time in relation to religous divisions as in Catholics and Church of England. A massive bone of contention between Jack and Don over the many decades was the infamous press 'leak' at the Bodyline test in Adelaide. Both men (journalists) strenously denied that they were the source of the leak and it something that Fingleton never forgave Bradman for an vice versa. A fascinating read and a comprehensive inside look at the dressing room of a bygone era.

3. Calling all Cricketers - The NSWCA Coaching Manual.

I first read my Grandfather's copy of this book on school holidays. Why oh why didn't I pay attention! A very thorough book with step by step photos of where your body should be and how to perform the correct techniques of various skills of the game showing pictures of the star players of the day such as Keith Miller and Ray Lindwall and Lindsey Hassett. It also has what seems to be a quaint chapter today on crickett ettiquette which is worth the read alone. Not many manuals are good reading but this one is. As a junior coach I still refer to this volume today.

4. The Reasons Why - Bob SImpson

After Greg Chappell, Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee quit, Australia were shit. Allan Border was the last one standing and a bit like Bomber at Geelong before the flags came, we had one man trying to do everything. Enter, and not for the first time when we were in trouble, RB Simpson. Bobby didn't don the whites like he did during the WSC days but his legacy was even more enduring this time around. He became out Cricket coach. Bob's methods soon gave us our swagger back and this book is an excellent depiction of the period from when Simpson first got the gig to the successfull Ashes tour of 1989 and the confrontational series against the West Indies in 1991. Allan Border has been rightly recognised for his efforts to bring Australia back to where they should be but Bob Simpson's role in our resurgence cannot be underestimated. One downside of this book is he is a bit on the defensive at times as you can see by the title.

5. Lambs to the Slaughter - Graham Yallop

Graham Yallop is perhaps one of the saddest cricketers in history. Not in the tragical Hughes or broken hero Larwood sense but here was a man with immense talent who was literally fed to the English Lion. Graham Yallop's 'Lambs' were slaughtered 5-1 by a full strength English team in 1978-79 as Australia went in without the gun WSC players. Even worse, Yallop did a 'Glen McGrath' and predicted a whitewash. With only five tests in three years prior to being made Captain Yallop was hopelessly out of his depth and this book is a cry of anguish from a very frustrated man who did not command the respect of his players. I recommend this one to any English Cricket fan who is still hurting from the whitewash last year.

6. Spun Out: The unauthorised (Warne) Biography - Paul Barry

Shane Warne is perhaps the finest cricket brain we have seen in the last three decades. The way he thinks about the game is almost clinical without sacrificing the love of the sport which he still clearly has. He also loves mobile phones, blondes and himself but I'm not sure about the order. Don't bother with the authorised biography of Warne, that will be just the Shane Warne show and you can get that by watching Test Cricket this summer. Barry's book has been described as 'a hatchet job' but I don't think this is entirely fair. Barry paints Warne as a flawed genius. He praises his achievements, his aura and his knowledge and love of the game but pulls no punches about Warne's indiscretions. A great read about a great cricketer who might be a shit bloke. Personally, I think he's a good bloke who shit in his nest.

7. Hitting accross the line - Viv Richards

Viv Richards was the most attacking batsmen I can remember from the West Indies and his personna was a macho tough exterior..not wearing a helmet facing Lillee and Thomson man what balls. However, this book is a bit defensive. Leave our team alone, you should have seen what we copped in Australia, what do you mean Grovel Tony? I don't think Viv needed to defend anyone, he should have stayed on the attack. However, his genuine love for the game and his nation come through. An honest book about an honest bloke who made genuine friendships with blokes in the other dressing room. Viv always gave his best no matter what cap he was wearing and his editors should have suggested that he omitted the 'leave our team alone' stuff out of this book. A very good read.

8. The Gloves of Irony - Rod Marsh

Loved Marshy growing up. Still miss seeing him behind the stumps today. There hasn't been a better keeper to the fast bowling for Australia that I can remember since. In his early days he was called 'Iron Gloves' which suggests he had a rocky start. Imagine keeping wicket to Thomson though. He didn't know where the balls were going so good luck to the batsman and wicketkeeper. This book is a one sitting job. Not all that many pages but the reason I like this one is it gives an insight to the 1981 Tour of England, one of the most gutwrenching losses that an Australian Test team has had in my forty years of watching the game. In at least two tests we had the Poms done and dusted. In this book Rod said 'Botham's 5/1 made me cry' . I made me realise as a teenager that the players feel the losses much tougher than the kids at home listening on the radio.

9. Beyond Ten Thousand - Allan Border

This is a good read from Pugsley and a top summation of the gutsiest player I have ever seen play for Australia. Yeah, Rick McCosker faced up to the Poms with a busted face and Bruce Laird, Steve Waugh and David Boon's courage was legendary but give me AB if I wanted someone to bat for my life. Unlike some cricketers, AB doesn't appear to have a big ego and he readily acknowledges others. Ten thousand runs was a massive achievement when Border first did it. This one tends to stick to 'just the facts' and isn't as well written as the other books in this list but it is a must for AB fans and for anyone who is old enough to remember Border's part in Australian Cricket History.

10. Boycott - The Autobiography

Boycott is an arsehole. Worse he is a boring arsehold. Worse again he's an boring English arsehole. But loathe him or hate him he was a massive obstacle for anyone playing England for many years. In an era when England weren't exactly rolling out class players (apologies to Underwood, Knott and Botham) Boycott was literally an immovable object. And man what an ego this bloke has. Read this and you can see that he came from a shit background and the reason he was like a rock is because he was one tough bastard who literally batted for his life. At times he shows real charm but resentment and ego and unintentional comedy are sometimes never far away. Worth a read.

regards,

REB

Calling all Cricketers, the Gloves of Irony, Beyond 10 000 are all in my collection we should compare our copies of Calling all Cricketers REB as to which one is the most "dog eared" and has been "thumbed through"... A classic

Agree with your descriptions of Marsh's and Border's books

However like your footy team you have no idea of a "cap", this is a top five not top 10.

Don't worry though, like the SANFL there are no consequences for going over the cap but I might thumb through some of your suggestions while enjoying a coffee, in a cafe, down The Parade....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby mal » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:33 pm

WITH BAT AND BALL
By the man who kicked the first goal ever for the Norwood Football Club, who prob had coffees on the parade

Book retails for close to $200 in some shops
Ive had the priv of reading the book
Fantastic insight into early Australian cricket by arguably South Australias greatest allrounder George Giffen

Enjoying this thread
Well done am Bays
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 904 times

Postby hottie » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:39 pm

Whilst I still watch sesame street as it's very educational, I am amazed that a couple of posters on this topic can actually read.
hottie
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Callington

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Sorry Yabs but we all know the Cap is irrelevant when we've got the wood on you. ;) sorry Tige..just stirring!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby westozfalcon » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 pm

This is a brilliant book about the Great Cricketer that I have read and reread on many occasions. This book does not diefy WG and presents a 'warts and all' look at perhaps the most controversial figure in Cricket history. When you read this book you will soon learn how WG Grace was perhaps the first sport 'superstar'. He was bigger than the game itself and his dominance over his peers almost rivals Bradman. Brilliantly written with some excellent cricket and non-cricket photographs and with a solid statistical summation as well.

2. Jack Fingelton: The man who stood up to Bradman - Geoff Growden

Growing up I thought of Jack Fingleton like many others did at the time, just one of many jealous peers of the incomporable Don who were making whine with sour grapes. However after reading this book it is clear there are not only two sides 'to the story' but there were also two sides to the Australian dressing room at the time in relation to religous divisions as in Catholics and Church of England. A massive bone of contention between Jack and Don over the many decades was the infamous press 'leak' at the Bodyline test in Adelaide. Both men (journalists) strenously denied that they were the source of the leak and it something that Fingleton never forgave Bradman for an vice versa. A fascinating read and a comprehensive inside look at the dressing room of a bygone era.

3. Calling all Cricketers - The NSWCA Coaching Manual.

I first read my Grandfather's copy of this book on school holidays. Why oh why didn't I pay attention! A very thorough book with step by step photos of where your body should be and how to perform the correct techniques of various skills of the game showing pictures of the star players of the day such as Keith Miller and Ray Lindwall and Lindsey Hassett. It also has what seems to be a quaint chapter today on crickett ettiquette which is worth the read alone. Not many manuals are good reading but this one is. As a junior coach I still refer to this volume today.

4. The Reasons Why - Bob SImpson

After Greg Chappell, Rod Marsh and Dennis Lillee quit, Australia were shit. Allan Border was the last one standing and a bit like Bomber at Geelong before the flags came, we had one man trying to do everything. Enter, and not for the first time when we were in trouble, RB Simpson. Bobby didn't don the whites like he did during the WSC days but his legacy was even more enduring this time around. He became out Cricket coach. Bob's methods soon gave us our swagger back and this book is an excellent depiction of the period from when Simpson first got the gig to the successfull Ashes tour of 1989 and the confrontational series against the West Indies in 1991. Allan Border has been rightly recognised for his efforts to bring Australia back to where they should be but Bob Simpson's role in our resurgence cannot be underestimated. One downside of this book is he is a bit on the defensive at times as you can see by the title.

Graham Yallop is perhaps one of the saddest cricketers in history. Not in the tragical Hughes or broken hero Larwood sense but here was a man with immense talent who was literally fed to the English Lion. Graham Yallop's 'Lambs' were slaughtered 5-1 by a full strength English team in 1978-79 as Australia went in without the gun WSC players. Even worse, Yallop did a 'Glen McGrath' and predicted a whitewash. With only five tests in three years prior to being made Captain Yallop was hopelessly out of his depth and this book is a cry of anguish from a very frustrated man who did not command the respect of his players. I recommend this one to any English Cricket fan who is still hurting from the whitewash last year.

6. Spun Out: The unauthorised (Warne) Biography - Paul Barry

Shane Warne is perhaps the finest cricket brain we have seen in the last three decades. The way he thinks about the game is almost clinical without sacrificing the love of the sport which he still clearly has. He also loves mobile phones, blondes and himself but I'm not sure about the order. Don't bother with the authorised biography of Warne, that will be just the Shane Warne show and you can get that by watching Test Cricket this summer. Barry's book has been described as 'a hatchet job' but I don't think this is entirely fair. Barry paints Warne as a flawed genius. He praises his achievements, his aura and his knowledge and love of the game but pulls no punches about Warne's indiscretions. A great read about a great cricketer who might be a shit bloke. Personally, I think he's a good bloke who shit in his nest.

Viv Richards was the most attacking batsmen I can remember from the West Indies and his personna was a macho tough exterior..not wearing a helmet facing Lillee and Thomson man what balls. However, this book is a bit defensive. Leave our team alone, you should have seen what we copped in Australia, what do you mean Grovel Tony? I don't think Viv needed to defend anyone, he should have stayed on the attack. However, his genuine love for the game and his nation come through. An honest book about an honest bloke who made genuine friendships with blokes in the other dressing room. Viv always gave his best no matter what cap he was wearing and his editors should have suggested that he omitted the 'leave our team alone' stuff out of this book. A very good read.

Loved Marshy growing up. Still miss seeing him behind the stumps today. There hasn't been a better keeper to the fast bowling for Australia that I can remember since. In his early days he was called 'Iron Gloves' which suggests he had a rocky start. Imagine keeping wicket to Thomson though. He didn't know where the balls were going so good luck to the batsman and wicketkeeper. This book is a one sitting job. Not all that many pages but the reason I like this one is it gives an insight to the 1981 Tour of England, one of the most gutwrenching losses that an Australian Test team has had in my forty years of watching the game. In at least two tests we had the Poms done and dusted. In this book Rod said 'Botham's 5/1 made me cry' . I made me realise as a teenager that the players feel the losses much tougher than the kids at home listening on the radio.

9. Beyond Ten Thousand - Allan Border

This is a good read from Pugsley and a top summation of the gutsiest player I have ever seen play for Australia. Yeah, Rick McCosker faced up to the Poms with a busted face and Bruce Laird, Steve Waugh and David Boon's courage was legendary but give me AB if I wanted someone to bat for my life. Unlike some cricketers, AB doesn't appear to have a big ego and he readily acknowledges others. Ten thousand runs was a massive achievement when Border first did it. This one tends to stick to 'just the facts' and isn't as well written as the other books in this list but it is a must for AB fans and for anyone who is old enough to remember Border's part in Australian Cricket History.

Boycott is an arsehole. Worse he is a boring arsehold. Worse again he's an boring English arsehole. But loathe him or hate him he was a massive obstacle for anyone playing England for many years. In an era when England weren't exactly rolling out class players (apologies to Underwood, Knott and Botham) Boycott was literally an immovable object. And man what an ego this bloke has. Read this and you can see that he came from a shit background and the reason he was like a rock is because he was one tough bastard who literally batted for his life. At times he shows real charm but resentment and ego and unintentional comedy are sometimes never far away. Worth a read.

regards,

REB

A really good selection there. I've read no's 4,5,7, 8 and 10.
I'd like to track down that Jack Fingleton one - sounds very interesting.

My comments on some:

Yallop was a skilled and stylish batsman but definitely lacked 'ticker'. I remember watching him facing up to Michael Holding in the 1984 Perth Test when Australia was bowled out for 76. He was backing away and looked genuinely frightened.
In one Test Yallop captained, Rodney Hogg (who had no time for Yallop) bowled a few overs then decided his spell was over. Yallop told him to carry on but Hogg refused. Hoggy won out. Could you imagine if he tried that with Ian Chappell?

Viv mentioned that he initially struggled when he first went to play in England. Being used to the warm Carribean climate, he could never work up a sweat and therefore couldn't get comfortable at the crease.
He also said he worried whenever he got hit on the pads in Australia. Australians talk of bad umpiring on the subcontinent but some of what visiting teams copped over here in that era wasn't much better.

I think Kim Hughes' job as captain on that 1981 Ashes tour wasn't helped by Marsh and Dennis Lillee's churlish attitude and lack of respect towards him. Marsh definitely felt he should've been Australian captain.

Boycott was a very selfish cricketer. He likes people to believe he stood out of cricket because he didn't care for Tony Greig being England captain, but I reckon he was getting out of the way because of the impending 'meeting' with Jeff Thomson in Australia in 1974/75.
Ian Chappell once said he never worried about Boycott making a big score because he'd take so long that you'd always have time to save the game!
During the 1998/99 Ashes tour, Ian Botham gave a talk at a Scarborough Cricket Club function in Perth. Around that time Boycott was in strife for allegedly hitting his then-girlfriend several times. Both quipped "It must have taken him eight hours"
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 am

I can fully understand Yallop and Boycott's reluctance to face Messers Holding and Thomson. Of the West Indies bowlers I reckon Andy Roberts would have been the scariest to face. He would bowl a 'slow' bouncer and then follow it up with a real fast one. It was this move that earnt David Hookes a ride in Packer's Jag.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:28 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Working on my list.

It's only your top 5 Dogwatcher, are you re-reading them all again to validate your list??? ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Coach Bombay » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:15 pm

worth the wait - darren lehmann

the greatest cricketer i ever saw
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:worth the wait - darren lehmann

Ordinary book, iv got half way through and given up on it.
Seems as though it was written 10 years ago and only been published this year or did i miss its 1st publication?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:11 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

Seems as though it was written 10 years ago and only been published this year or did i miss its 1st publication?

Yep parents got not for me at xmas. Went this book sounds familiar went to bookcase and found it with different cover. 2004 was first publication
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Failed Creation » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:30 pm

westozfalcon wrote:

regards,

REB

A really good selection there. I've read no's 4,5,7, 8 and 10.
I'd like to track down that Jack Fingleton one - sounds very interesting.

My comments on some:

Boycott was a very selfish cricketer. He likes people to believe he stood out of cricket because he didn't care for Tony Greig being England captain, but I reckon he was getting out of the way because of the impending 'meeting' with Jeff Thomson in Australia in 1974/75.
Ian Chappell once said he never worried about Boycott making a big score because he'd take so long that you'd always have time to save the game!
During the 1998/99 Ashes tour, Ian Botham gave a talk at a Scarborough Cricket Club function in Perth. Around that time Boycott was in strife for allegedly hitting his then-girlfriend several times. Both quipped "It must have taken him eight hours"

I believe it was Mike Denness he strongly disliked. According to the book (which I own, but haven't read for a couple of years), they had a little bust-up on a West Indies tour.

Ol' Geoff wasn't shy about his dislike of Brian Close and Ray Illingworth, was he?
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Gravel » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:02 pm

My all time favourite is 'Trumper' by Ashley Mallett
Gravel
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:14 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

Yep parents got not for me at xmas. Went this book sounds familiar went to bookcase and found it with different cover. 2004 was first publication

Cheers i wonder how many people have 2 copies lol. Boof must be really short on a dollar.
I dare say i have the 1st publication as well
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Crikey. That's a big call. He was unlucky not to play more for Australia but I can't agree with the 'greatest' tag. Haven't watched much Cricket?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Coach Bombay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:10 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Crikey. That's a big call. He was unlucky not to play more for Australia but I can't agree with the 'greatest' tag. Haven't watched much Cricket?

regards,

REB

Player that brought me the most joy in watching.

As for the book I read it when i was like 18. Ive had it for 10 years
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby robranisgod » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:03 pm

The best cricket book I have ever read was "Ten for Sixty Six and All that" by Arthur Mailey.

The piece on Mailey bowling to Trumper in a grade game in Sydney is one of the best chapters of any book I have ever read, sport or otherwise.

Mailey took 10 for 66 for Australia against Gloucestershire in 1921. He jokingly said that he could have taken 10 for 36 but it wouldn't have made nearly as good a title for a book.

I am a huge fan of Gideon Haigh but I was very disappointed in "Cricket War" given the rave reviews that it has got over the years from every respected critic. I know that history is written by the victors but Haigh has many factual inaccuracies and he doesn't give any regard to the fact that the young cricketers who went to WSC by and large failed to impact test cricket after the truce, yet the ACB side produced players of the ilk of Border and Hughes as well as very serviceable test cricketers like Wood, Yallop, Hogg, Dymock and Higgs.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:38 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Player that brought me the most joy in watching.

As for the book I read it when i was like 18. Ive had it for 10 years

Ah, that sounds more like it. Showing my age but Viv Richards for me.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:58 am

Rik E Boy wrote:I can fully understand Yallop and Boycott's reluctance to face Messers Holding and Thomson. Of the West Indies bowlers I reckon Andy Roberts would have been the scariest to face. He would bowl a 'slow' bouncer and then follow it up with a real fast one. It was this move that earnt David Hookes a ride in Packer's Jag.

regards,

REB

Greg Ritchie tells one of the funniest stories I ever heard about the day Roberts set him up with the slower and faster bouncer in a game between Qld and the Windies. I could never do it justice and it went for 10-15 minutes but it was the most captivating funny cricket story and I have heard and I have heard many of them. Obviously it didn't end with a broken jaw but it did knock him out and involved many other peculiar details such as breaking his stumps and being nearly impaled, a forklift, Kepler Wessels, 6 ham sandwiches, a team in stitches, the dog track round the GABBA and had the clever edgy humour only the Cat could provide.

Whilst Fat Cats touring has cut down with the retiring of Mahatma Coat if ever you do get a chance to see him he is the best speaker and entertainer I have had the pleasure of seeing and meeting.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:08 am

As a kid every Xmas in the 80s I got a cricket book and read them all including many listed on this thread.

I remember being excited as an 8 year old reading gloves of Irony because Marshy swore in it. It was probably my favourite as a kid. It was also from memory the one that didn't pull punches.

This Xmas I got Pups Captains diary which was fantastic as it allowed me to relive the whitewash and reminded me of a bitter sweet summer as Dad died but the day before he died we regained the Ashes. Always going to be a good read based on the subject matter but very G rated and at times a little repetitive. Still very enjoyable to read about your favourite teams ascension to the top of the world and the thoughts, feelings and preparations of the Captain of Australia.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:54 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I can fully understand Yallop and Boycott's reluctance to face Messers Holding and Thomson. Of the West Indies bowlers I reckon Andy Roberts would have been the scariest to face. He would bowl a 'slow' bouncer and then follow it up with a real fast one. It was this move that earnt David Hookes a ride in Packer's Jag.

regards,

REB

Greg Ritchie tells one of the funniest stories I ever heard about the day Roberts set him up with the slower and faster bouncer in a game between Qld and the Windies. I could never do it justice and it went for 10-15 minutes but it was the most captivating funny cricket story and I have heard and I have heard many of them. Obviously it didn't end with a broken jaw but it did knock him out and involved many other peculiar details such as breaking his stumps and being nearly impaled, a forklift, Kepler Wessels, 6 ham sandwiches, a team in stitches, the dog track round the GABBA and had the clever edgy humour only the Cat could provide.

Whilst Fat Cats touring has cut down with the retiring of Mahatma Coat if ever you do get a chance to see him he is the best speaker and entertainer I have had the pleasure of seeing and meeting.

:lol:

I too have heard this one, and it is a ripping yarn. Jeff Dujon behind the stumps laughing as Roberts comes in and Ritchie wonders why he's laughing. Between overs he asks Dujon "What's so funny?" Dujon grins and replies "'He's going to kill you".
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket