Things I learn from press releases

Anything!

Re: Things I learn from press releases

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:37 pm

We need to pray for Ian Thorpe:

“Many people have warmly welcomed champion swimmer Ian Thorpe’s decision to come out as a gay man, but is it really a good thing?” FamilyVoice national president Dr David Phillips said today.
“Ian had previously said he was attracted to women, that he loves children, and he wants to have a family one day. Should we really be celebrating his decision to embrace gay sexuality?
“Ian has never had sexual relations with a man. He may find that the gay scene, which will now pursue him relentlessly, may not be all that he is hoping for. Monogamy and fidelity are the exception rather than the norm in same-sex relationships.
“A fact sheet issued just weeks ago by the US Centers for Disease Control shows HIV infections are soaring among men who have sex with men. Syphilis rates are also on the rise. Condoms are not foolproof – especially when used while depressed or intoxicated or both.
“Last night Michael Parkinson asked Ian if his depression was caused by his homosexuality, but Ian said no. His depression has been lifelong,” David Phillips said. “We know from authoritative studies of identical twins that homosexuals are not born that way, but life experiences may give rise to same-sex attraction later on.
“I would encourage Ian Thorpe to consider the experience of some other young men who have had homosexual feelings. Sometimes, some of them change – such as Luca di Tolve, who once was gay, but is no longer that way. Luca’s story is told in a rap song.
“I and many others are praying for his wellbeing and healing from his chronic depression.”
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby tipper » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:We need to pray for Ian Thorpe:

Monogamy and fidelity are the exception rather than the norm in any sexual relationship.

fixed that for them.

what world are these people living in? all of a sudden it is only homosexual people that have multiple partners or cheat on their current one??

hang on, different tack. if we allow "gays" to marry that will solve this infidelity issue they suffer. it is obviously because they cant marry that they have multiple partners..... seeing as marriage is such a sacred right, no one would ever cheat on their legally married partner would they? :roll:
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:54 am

The drinking habits of AFL supporters

As the Swans and Hawks prepare to do battle for the 2014 AFL Premiership on Saturday, footy fans far and wide will be planning their Grand Finals celebrations. More than a third (35%) of Australians 18+ watch the AFL Grand Final on TV, with many getting together with friends and family for the occasion. What better excuse to stoke up the BBQ and enjoy a social drink? But what do AFL supporters like to drink? Considering that 14 of the 18 AFL teams are sponsored by an alcohol brand or retailer, it seems an apt time to take a look at the booze preferences of AFL fans.

In the year to June 2014, supporters of most AFL teams (with the exception of Greater Western Sydney, Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide) were more likely than the average Australian adult to have drunk alcohol in an average four weeks.

Distinguishing themselves as the AFL’s most avid rum and beer drinkers are supporters of the Brisbane Lions. Not only are they a hefty one-and-a-half times more likely than the average Aussie to drink rum in an average four weeks, but they’re also 29% more likely to drink premium/imported beer and 46% more likely to drink non-premium/imported beer in the same period. Incidentally, the Lions are sponsored by beer brand Carlton Draught.
Which AFL team’s supporters are more likely to drink which kind of alcohol?

Meanwhile, Sydney Swans fans are almost as likely as Lions supporters to drink beer in an average four weeks, and most likely of all teams’ supporters to drink liqueur. While not sponsored by a beer or liqueur brand, the Swans do count liquor retailer Cellarbrations among their sponsors.

With a taste for the good stuff, Hawthorn supporters are 55% more likely than the average Aussie (and other teams’ fans) to drink premium beer in an average four weeks.

When it comes to wine, Melbourne Demons fans lead the league: in any given four weeks, they are 76% more likely than the average Aussie to drink red wine, 56% more likely to have drunk white wine, and 92% to have drunk champagne/sparkling wine. No doubt the team’s sponsor Tyrell’s Wines would be pleased to hear this.

While cider may be experiencing a boom among Australian drinkers right now, supporters of most AFL teams come in below average for this particular beverage. However, fans of the Adelaide Crows stand out for being 57% more likely than the average Aussie to drink cider in a four-week period. Three of the Crows’ numerous corporate partners are alcohol brands (more than any other team) but none of them produce cider.

Angela Smith, Group Account Director, Roy Morgan Research, says:

“The AFL Grand Final is one of the key events in the Australian sporting calendar, and a huge social occasion for many footy fans, who get together with friends and family to watch the match over a few drinks and snacks. As our data reveals, some teams’ supporters are more likely to drink certain types of beverage than other teams’ supporters, and occasionally their alcohol preferences even coincide with their team’s sponsors.

“For example, Roy Morgan data shows that Tyrell’s Wine is an ideal sponsor for Melbourne Demons, whose fans are more likely than any others to drink wine in an average four weeks. In fact, of all AFL supporters, Demons fans are the most likely to have drunk any alcohol in an average four-week period — along with St Kilda Saints fans. Yet the Saints do not have any alcohol sponsors. Could this be an opportunity for a canny booze brand in the market for an AFL team to partner with?

“Of course, demographics play more of a role in a person’s drinking habits than their footy allegiances — and for this reason, it’s no surprise that Carlton Draught is one of the AFL’s overall major partners. Not only do men outnumber women by about three to one in terms of beer drinking in any given four weeks, but most teams’ fan bases are comprised of more men than women.

“Of course, alcohol is certainly not necessary to enjoy the Grand Final, and here at Roy Morgan Research we advise drinking responsibly at all times!”
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:40 pm

Meet the new scale-friendly Killer Python

Allen’s iconic Killer Pythons have been halved to treat size – a move aimed at bringing confectionery serves down to scale.

While the new treat size Killer Python weighs in at 24g, or 336kJ, compared to the original 47g, 630kJ version, it still has the same recipe, taste, stretchiness with no artificial colours that have made it a favourite after-sport treat for kids and adults alike.

The move is part of Nestlé’s efforts to help Australians better manage their health, by controlling the amount of food, especially treats, they eat.

Dietitian Melanie McGrice said that shrinking confectionery portions to a more appropriate single serve is one step in helping people control their nutritional intake.

“Controlling portion size is an effective, simple and reliable tool that is used in maintaining a balanced diet,” Ms McGrice said.

“A 10 year old can now run off a Killer Python in around 30 minutes. With the previous size, it would have taken almost an hour,” she said.

"Experience working as a dietitian has shown me that telling people to cut all treat foods out of their diet is unrealistic and unachievable in the long term. A truly happy and healthy life comes through balance," added Ms McGrice.

Allen’s Killer Pythons will be one of the first products in Nestlé’s range to include a new consumer-friendly portion guidance device.

“From my experience people often can’t judge serving sizes. The portion guidance device clearly illustrates serving size and helps people enjoy their food, but know when to stop,” Ms McGrice said.

Nestlé General Manager – Confectionery, Martin Brown said that resizing the Killer Python is only the beginning of this Nestlé initiative.

“We’re now offering confectionery with responsibly sourced ingredients, on-pack portion education and changes such as revised portion sizes and resealable packaging,” Mr Brown said.

“It’s part of helping people improve their nutrition, health and wellness, and underlines our fundamental belief that for a company to be successful, it must also create value for society,” he said.

Allen’s treat size Killer Pythons will be in stores in Australia from October 2014.

For information visit Nestlé, Allen’s Facebook and Allen’s Instagram pages.

Share using #TreatSizePython
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:45 pm

wouldn't that just make it a regular old snake?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Reduce the size but not the price by an equivalent amount ... the way price increases are handled in today's market.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:06 am

BEEERRRR!!!!

The Aussie App Saving Beer Drinkers Dollars By The Carton Load!
Beer Pal is a locally made App, which scans beer prices in over 5500 stores Australia wide. With one touch of the phone the punter can see the closest specials on their favourite beers!
It is the brainchild of Adelaide based Paul Cameron. Paul recently left his marketing job at Carlton & United Breweries and in turn his very generous free beer allocation. For the first time in years he found himself confronted with having to buy his own beer!
“Knowing that at least one of my favourite beers would be on special in a store close by, I realised that there was no reliable way of quickly finding where that is”
This sparked the idea behind Beer Pal. Using his intimate knowledge of the industry, Paul partnered with local app developers Digital Noir to create a simple, yet powerful solution to help punters find a great deal on their favourite brew.
By adding your favourite beers to your Beer Pal fridge and simply tapping on the beer you want to buy, you can find on a map, the closest retailer with a good price or special deal. No more driving around and being disappointed when your beer has gone off special. You can plan where to buy your beer on the way home from work and cut through the clutter of searching through store adverts or surfing the web.
Cheap beer prices are just the start for Beer Pal though; Paul has bigger goals in mind.
“The app itself is very simple, extremely handy and quick to use. However the backend power behind Beer Pal has the potential to revolutionise the way Beer is marketed in this country”

Beer Pal is available now on iTunes.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:08 am

Interesting press release about advertisement complaints. It's funny what people complain about. I particularly enjoy the descriptions of the ads in the Top 10s.

The ‘ick’ and ‘eek’ factors have been highlighted in this year’s list of most complained about advertisements, according to new figures from the Advertising Standards Bureau (ASB).

“Preliminary stats show that around 5600 complaints about advertisements were received in 2014, and many of these complaints were due to uncomfortable scenes in advertisements,” ASB, Chief Executive Officer, Ms Fiona Jolly said.

The most complained about ad in 2014 was for an online dating website, aimed at married people looking to have an affair, with 481 people lodging complaints against the ad. Another ad for a takeaway service that used scenes reminiscent of the last supper received 228 complaints. One advertiser had three separate ads in the top 10, which featured nose-picking and farting, with a total of 636 complaints received about all three ads.

In 2014 the Advertising Standards Board (the Board) found that none of the 10 most complained about advertisements breached the code.

“While people may not wish to see ‘ick-factor’ images of nose-picking or farting on TV, or about dating sites for married people, the content of these advertisements do not breach the Codes.

“When the Board considers an advertisement, they can only consider the content of the advertisement, not the product being advertised, and can only consider the specific sections of the Code of Ethics,” Ms Jolly said.

“Our stats reveal that complaints this year were boosted by a number of ‘big ticket’ ads, with the 10 most complained about ads this year making up over 35 per cent of total complaint numbers,” she said.

A record number of complaints were received in 2014, the most since the Bureau was established in 1998. Well over the previous record of 4,044 in 2006.

Ms Jolly said one reason complaint numbers increased was a growing awareness of the ASB, generated through a public awareness television campaign.

“Also significant is that although we received a record number of complaints, the actual number of ads complained about isn’t any higher than usual,” Ms Jolly said.

“We received complaints about 552 ads in 2014, an increase from last year but still less than the 595 ads in 2009,” Ms Jolly said.

Of the ads found to breach the Code in 2014, most received fewer than five complaints.

“Advertisers whose ads have breached the Code continue to comply with the Board’s determinations and have withdrawn or modified their ad,” Ms Jolly said.

Case reports about advertisements considered by the Advertising Standards Board during 2014 can be viewed on the ASB website www.adstandards.com.au. The list of the 10 most complained about advertisements follows.

Most complained about ads in 2014

1. 0307/14 Ashley Madison - Avid Life
TV ad featuring married men singing ‘I'm looking for someone other than my wife’.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 481

2. 0277/14 My Plates
TV ad featuring a man repeatedly passing wind in a car.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 250

3. 0178/14 Menulog
TV ad featuring a Da Vinci character painting the last supper.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 228

4. 0276/14 My Plates
TV ad featuring a man picking his nose and wiping it on a car door.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 206

5. 0069/14 Johnson & Johnson Pacific Pty Ltd
TV ad highlighting embarrassing menstrual experiences.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 185

6. 0201/14 Ultra Tune Australia
TV ad featuring two women wearing rubber visiting a tyre store.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 181

7. 0281/14 My Plates
TV ad featuring a man picking his nose and wiping it on a car door, his finger is pixelated.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 180

8. 0438/14 Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses
Billboard pictures a horse lying on its side and the words ‘Is the party really worth it?’
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 152

9. 0087/14 Johnson & Johnson Pacific Pty Ltd
TV ad highlighting different embarrassing menstrual experiences.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 146

10. 0014/14 Meat and Livestock Australia
TV ad featuring Sam Kekovich promoting the consumption of lamb on Australia Day.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 80

Most complained about ads since 1998

1. 0307/14 Ashley Madison - Avid Life
TV ad featuring a married men singing ‘I'm looking for someone other than my wife’.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 481

2. 156/07 Nando’s Australia Pty Ltd
TV ad featuring a woman in a business suit describes how she can’t afford to have cravings at work, she is then shown in a g-string and pole dancing.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 359

3. 450/09 GASP Denim
Five images of a young topless woman wearing different pairs of tight-fitting jeans
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 297

4. 410/06 Stuart Alexander and Co
TV ad featuring a man’s nipples get longer as he eats Mentos and he walks around town using them to do various things.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 283.

5. 20/07 Advanced Medical Institute
This outdoor advertisement features red words on a yellow background reading ‘want longer lasting sex?’
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 265

6. 0277/14 My Plates
TV ad featuring a man repeatedly passing wind in a car.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 250

7. 0178/14 Menulog
TV ad featuring a Da Vinci character painting the last supper.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 228

8. 0284/10 Advanced Medical Institute
A woman is trying to reach for a jar in a cupboard. She calls to her husband to help. He opens his robe and she looks over him with awe. She then appears to stand on his erect penis to reach the jar.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 227

9. 0176/11 Queensland Association for Healthy Communities
Billboard with the words ‘Rip & Roll’ written in large letters across the centre, with an image of a red condom in its wrapper and two men: one man is embracing the other man from behind while holding a red condom wrapper.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 222

10. 284/05 Advanced Medical Institute
TV ad showing two men in tuxedos standing behind grand piano - they drop pants and undies and start playing the piano with their penises.
Dismissed. Number of complaints: 217
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Psyber » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 am

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/study ... 59842.html
People who own all-electric cars where coal generates the power may think they are helping the environment. But a new study finds their vehicles actually make the air dirtier, worsening global warming. Ethanol isn't so green, either.

"It's kind of hard to beat gasoline" for public and environmental health, said study co-author Julian Marshall, an engineering professor at the University of Minnesota. "A lot of the technologies that we think of as being clean ... are not better than gasoline."
The key is where the source of the electricity all-electric cars. If it comes from coal, the electric cars produce 3.6 times more soot and smog deaths than gas, because of the pollution made in generating the electricity, according to the study that is published Monday by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. They also are significantly worse at heat-trapping carbon dioxide that worsens global warming, it found...

...Hybrids and diesel engines are cleaner than gas, causing fewer air pollution deaths and spewing less heat-trapping gas.
But ethanol isn't, with 80 percent more air pollution mortality, according to the study.

I've tended to argue that the only real alternative to petrol is Hydrogen fuel, but that becoming viable depends on cheaper electricity to use to extract it from sea water, not the more expensive electricity renewable sources give us. (Which is why I am pro modern safe nuclear technology.)

What this article does overlook in its giving diesel something of a plus is the carcinogens in diesel fuel exhausts that can't be removed by particulate filters.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:41 am

World's first incontinence lingerie collection hits the runway

Great news for all those people who are excited by the fashions they are seeing at New Zealand Fashion Week. The world's first designer incontinence lingerie collection strutted out in style at New Zealand Fashion Week in Auckland today.

Confitex launched its global brand in a solo show featuring its premium Hi-Life range. And what a launch it was. This is the first time, anywhere worldwide, that incontinence underwear has graced a catwalk as a designer range. The very idea has been the one 'everyone's talking about' coming into the event, with New Zealand paper the Herald on Sunday last week even questioning whether a runway was the right place for incontinence.

Confitex's Hi-Life Collection debut showcased 30 looks ranging from day-time wear, to softer evening lingerie, to the first G-string designed for light incontinence. The brand's resounding message of 'don't hold back from living your life' is bound to lift the spirits and lifestyles of the one in four people globally who suffer from incontinence.

A bladder behaving badly is no reason for people not to make the most of every day, says designer and co-founder Frantisek Riha-Scott. "Our underwear is beautiful, environmentally responsible and made for people with a love of life and adventure."

Confitex's patented textile-based technology is a three-layered system that provides absorbent, waterproof, pad-less washable underwear for men and women. Developed by New Zealanders Dr Mark Davey and Frantisek Riha-Scott it took three years of research and development to create the underwear range that actually looks like real underwear.

"Our consumers refuse to live in a padded world. Why on earth should they? Not everyone wants to feel 'protected'. We've developed these products for people who love style and design and who want the clothes they're wearing to express who they are.

"People who happen to have incontinence should be able to enjoy their lifestyle, freedom and independence. Our goal is to give those that want it the means to get out there, do what they want to do and see who they want to see," says Dr Davey.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:55 pm

This isn't a press release per se, but this thread's probably the most appropriate.

The Victorian Taxi Association launched a social media campaign this week, encouraging people to share positive stories about using cabs in an attempt to boost their profile.

Instead they've received a multitude of negative stories, and some of them are really quite concerning. Nevertheless, the fact that the cabs' association thought that this idea wouldn't be instantly hijacked by a deluge of social media truthbombs is somewhat amusing.

What did I learn?

(a) If you didn't think there was a problem in the community with the perception of cab quality before, then you'd have to concede that there is now.

(b) If this approach represents the strategic mindset of the taxi industry in the midst of the Uber wars, then it's well more rooted that I initially thought.

Read some of the stories in the article below:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/my-cab-driver-fell-asleep-taxi-industrys-social-media-campaign-backfires-20151109-gkuwis.html
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:45 am

Magellan wrote:This isn't a press release per se, but this thread's probably the most appropriate.

The Victorian Taxi Association launched a social media campaign this week, encouraging people to share positive stories about using cabs in an attempt to boost their profile.

Instead they've received a multitude of negative stories, and some of them are really quite concerning. Nevertheless, the fact that the cabs' association thought that this idea wouldn't be instantly hijacked by a deluge of social media truthbombs is somewhat amusing.

What did I learn?

(a) If you didn't think there was a problem in the community with the perception of cab quality before, then you'd have to concede that there is now.

(b) If this approach represents the strategic mindset of the taxi industry in the midst of the Uber wars, then it's well more rooted that I initially thought.

Read some of the stories in the article below:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/my-cab-driver-fell-asleep-taxi-industrys-social-media-campaign-backfires-20151109-gkuwis.html

Honestly, what were they expecting? Talk about out of touch...,
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu May 05, 2016 12:22 pm

Double Standards: All the single tattooed ladies, cover up
4 May 2016: It used to be a question of tattoo or no tattoo but Australians have moved on. The debate is now about where, how big and how many according to a survey of over 2,000 RSVP members.

RSVP set out to discover what it was about tattoos that attracted men and women – and what turned them off. Single men and women looking to attract the opposite sex, take note!

While 7 out of 10 men find tattoos on women attractive, the majority say this depends on placement. 56% say tattoos can be attractive if they are small and subtly placed. The majority of male respondents said they would prefer it if their women kept their tattoos hidden, for their eyes only (68%).

8 out of 10 women find tattoos on men attractive, but only if they are not too ‘over the top’. They have less concerns about how their men choose to show off their tattoos - most aren’t bothered about how under wraps they are.

Lara Delahunty, spokesperson for RSVP said, "There seems to be a bit of double standard here in men when it come to tattoos. They clearly find women with tattoos attractive, but they have strong views about how visible they are.

"Men also need to be aware that the the more tattoos you have, the less attractive you are to women. More than four tattoos axes your attractiveness by half."

Commenting on the results, Chloe Karr from Think Again Laser Clinic in Sydney said, "It’s interesting that the preferred areas of the body for both sexes are the same as those we most commonly remove tattoos from.

"While men are commonly removing only one of their many tattoos, we are finding that women are removing the only tattoo they may have. Women seem to want to resurrect their bare skin while men are commonly more interested in removing tattoos to make room for more!

"We are also seeing an increase in ex partners’ names being removed. I can imagine seeing another person’s name on your new fling's body would make for some interesting dinner conversation!"

Key findings:

According to women, the hottest spots for men’s ink is the back, chest and half sleeve.
Men most like to spy a tattoo on a woman’s back, foot and wrist.
Face tattoos are the biggest turn-off. Only 2% of men and 1% of women would go there.
Neck tattoos are next on the chopping block. Only 10% of women and 17% of men find neck tattoos attractive.
The more tattoos you have, the less attractive you are to the opposite sex. More than four tattoos axes your approval rating by half – from 80% to 42%.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Previous

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion