The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:34 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
kickinit wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Compared to teams like the Hawks who were missing up to a dozen of their best at the same time id say Port's injuries were not that bad

Hawthorn had a very bad run no questioning that. But to say Port didn't have is just ridiculous. Only having 1 ruck men available for majority of the year, missing our 2 key defenders and missing some of our best midfielders all at the same time, if that's not bad I'd hate to see what extremely bad is to you then.

Games played including finals in brackets :

Ebert (25) Minor round
Gray (25)
Cornes (25)
Wines (25)
Westhoff (25)
Schulz (25)
Broadbent (25)
Pittard (25)
Boak (24)
Lobbe (24)
Wingard (24)
Polec (24)
Hombsch (24)
Jonas (22)
Hartlett (22) 20/23 3 games
White (22) 19/23 4 games
Trengove (20) 19/23 4 games
Carlile (20) 18/23 5 games
Monfries 16/23 7 games
Moore - Didn't play the first 10, then played and broke a collar bone and missed 7. Was in our team at the final siren in the PF.
Redden, Renouf ( back up ruckmen ) 0 games each. Sam Colquhoun who played against Geelong in the SF in '13 missed the year with a knee. Probably plays ahead of Impey.

Who's being ridiculous?

So you could say we missed players of our best 22 for, season, season, 3,4,4,5,7,7.

Redden, Colquhoun, Hartlett, White, Trengove, Carlile, Monfries and Moore. So you could say 8 first choice players missed 10% or more of the season.

Not terrible, not ideal either.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Colqhoun wasnt in your side at the start of the year before he got injured so scrub that one.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rising Power » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:56 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Colqhoun wasnt in your side at the start of the year before he got injured so scrub that one.

He played in both finals last year and would have played games this year had he not injured his knee. He counts.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Rising Power wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Colqhoun wasnt in your side at the start of the year before he got injured so scrub that one.

He played in both finals last year and would have played games this year had he not injured his knee. He counts.

Ryan O'Keefe played in all sydneys finals last year too, doesnt guarentee you a game the next year and Colqhuon had Impey selected in front of him from the start.
Also would hardly call Redden a 1st choice player, how many times has Ken played 2 ruckman?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Wedgie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:25 pm

There will never be a AFL reserves comp in most of our lifetimes at least, not sure why people go on about it.
Logistically and fiscally unviable.
And FFS dont compare it with sports that have half the players/support staff.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:51 pm

Wedgie wrote:There will never be a AFL reserves comp in most of our lifetimes at least, not sure why people go on about it.
Logistically and fiscally unviable.
And FFS dont compare it with sports that have half the players/support staff.

Agree with you there. The AFL are not interested and I think its hope more than anything that people seem to be hanging on with.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby UK Fan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Nothing to do with logistics/cost IMHO!!! Purely down to ratings.

If a reserve comp attracted TV ratings and seven wanted it.

Do you think the AFL would say no.

It would make more sense than the Foxtel cup.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:02 pm

UK Fan wrote:Nothing to do with logistics/cost IMHO!!! Purely down to ratings.

lol if you think the AFL paying for 18 X 40 people getting carted around the nation 20 plus times along with the fact they don't want games on their grounds beforehand doesn't have anything to do with I've given you too much credit in the past!
So much cheaper/easier keeping state leagues happy and playing reserves teams out of those leagues and having a tinpot foxtel cup, its perfect for the AFL.
The NFL who make bazillions more than the AFL with similar distances/logistics to compare don't even consider it, well they did to a degree with the World/Europe League but that failed and they gave up on that.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:07 pm

^ this.

2 of the AFL's 10 Commandments:

No blade of grass can be disturbed before an AFL match
Why pay for a reserves comp when we can bastardise the 2nd tier competitions across the nation
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:21 pm

Wedgie wrote:
UK Fan wrote:Nothing to do with logistics/cost IMHO!!! Purely down to ratings.

lol if you think the AFL paying for 18 X 40 people getting carted around the nation 20 plus times along with the fact they don't want games on their grounds beforehand doesn't have anything to do with I've given you too much credit in the past!
So much cheaper/easier keeping state leagues happy and playing reserves teams out of those leagues and having a tinpot foxtel cup, its perfect for the AFL.
The NFL who make bazillions more than the AFL with similar distances/logistics to compare don't even consider it, well they did to a degree with the World/Europe League but that failed and they gave up on that.

So afl find travel agency/Virgin/Maguire media/hotel chain to cover/heavily subsidies travel costs in exchange for sponsorship Would easily see that Problem solved. Like they do now

18 teams of 40 travelling around the nation for 20 rounds ????

Considering only 9 games a week I'm guessing a max of 8 a week would be a more realistic figure.

As I say if seven say we have a billion dollar plus tv agreement for afl on the condition you invent and promote an afl reserves comp in this format our marketing department have worked on and we are extremely excited about.

What's the afl gonna say ,???

im not a marketing executive for a tv company but I think I'd have better chance making a reserve comp more viable/marketable than Foxtel cup imho.

Not saying it's going to happen next year but I wouldn't be putting a line thru it is all I'm saying. Especially due to travel costs.

I think we are a studio exec in Melbourne and eight ball away tbh
Last edited by UK Fan on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby SimonH » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:54 pm

Wedgie wrote:lol if you think the AFL paying for 18 X 40 people getting carted around the nation 20 plus times along with the fact they don't want games on their grounds beforehand doesn't have anything to do with I've given you too much credit in the past!
LOL indeed. If you think that the cost of airfares is an actual impediment to an AFL reserves comp, then if I've given you any credit in the past, it's been too much. Think seriously about the income of the AFL and its clubs, plus its "partnership" arrangement with Virgin, which means that everyone associated with the AFL is flying at a tiny fraction of rack rate (or, quite possibly, nothing as contra for advertising & promotion—these "partnership agreements" aren't made public). It would be a drop in the bucket. Who do you think is bankrolling teams to fly between Canberra/Sydney, Queensland and the NT every week through the season, to play in front of mostly mum & dad crowds, for the NEAFL competition to operate? The entire NEAFL isn't worthy of an individual line item in the AFL annual report, let alone NEAFL airfares, but what we do know is that in 2013 when it began to seriously crank up the quality and cost of the NEAFL comp, all subsidiaries of the AFL (the NEAFL is a subsidiary) spent an extra $9.7 million compared with 2012... and earned an extra $9.6 million: AFL 2013 annual report (see page 153). That's right: a big $100,000 of red ink, for an organisation that has turnover of $500 million and, for example, grants $21 million annually to the AFL players' union.

Seriously, as an issue, it's less than nothing.

They can play on the main oval as a curtain-raiser, or a different oval. The hosting team can make that decision. As occurs right now when most of the time the AFL seconds sides don't play as a curtain-raiser before their club's home game in NSW/Qld, but sometimes they do. And if the ground is coming up poorly, the reserves is sometimes moved late. The AFL leaves that kind of stuff to the club in collaboration with the ground.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby JK » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:08 am

Another cost for an AFL Reserves comp is probably the extension to the size of each clubs list. And the AFL being the AFL would more than likely mean that all costs to field an AFL reserves side fall to each club, some of whom aren't financially strong. I'd love to see the AFL Reserves competition happen, but Im with Wedgie, they already have what they want so I'd suggest this particular issue is well and truly on the backburner. If it's going to happen, I'd tip it won't happen for at least 20+ years. Hope I'm wrong.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby holden78 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:33 am

dedja wrote:^ this.

2 of the AFL's 10 Commandments:

No blade of grass can be disturbed before an AFL match
Why pay for a reserves comp when we can bastardise the 2nd tier competitions across the nation

Made it to coach level I see..... Didja think your a silly chance for the Tiggers league job with the question mark hanging over it?
Been eyeing off that parking spot as you drive down Brighton Road :twisted:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby UK Fan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:38 am

JK wrote:Another cost for an AFL Reserves comp is probably the extension to the size of each clubs list. And the AFL being the AFL would more than likely mean that all costs to field an AFL reserves side fall to each club, some of whom aren't financially strong. I'd love to see the AFL Reserves competition happen, but Im with Wedgie, they already have what they want so I'd suggest this particular issue is well and truly on the backburner. If it's going to happen, I'd tip it won't happen for at least 20+ years. Hope I'm wrong.

Don't the majority of afl clubs fund their own reserves team now ??? Was port/crows list size and or salary cap increased in 2014 due to they now field reserves sides ???

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:06 am

Why wouldn't the 10 AFL clubs based in Melbourne just want to play each other and not incur the costs of flying to Perth or Queensland up to twice a year?
I'm sure they'd much prefer the extra expense and time. Clubs like the Power lose millions of dollars as it is, I'm sure they'd be keen for extra expenses.
More chance of a national Under 18s comp or underage comp of some sort happening but I doubt this would ever happen either.
We're mostly all on the same page in being against them invading our SANFL but you'd have to look to the NFL for any viable alternatives rather than sports played with less players in smaller countries.
Even the NRL has two feeder leagues despite smaller teams and less distance to be covered after they used to have reserves and they don't have an issue with games before their main games like the AFL.
Would I like to see it? Yes
Will it happen? No
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:02 am

UK Fan wrote:
JK wrote:Another cost for an AFL Reserves comp is probably the extension to the size of each clubs list. And the AFL being the AFL would more than likely mean that all costs to field an AFL reserves side fall to each club, some of whom aren't financially strong. I'd love to see the AFL Reserves competition happen, but Im with Wedgie, they already have what they want so I'd suggest this particular issue is well and truly on the backburner. If it's going to happen, I'd tip it won't happen for at least 20+ years. Hope I'm wrong.

Don't the majority of afl clubs fund their own reserves team now ??? Was port/crows list size and or salary cap increased in 2014 due to they now field reserves sides ???

I'm sure they would, but the current list size isn't going to accommodate 2 full teams each week in most cases without top-up players, which I guess would be an option for them. But if they don't have top-ups then they'd need an increase in list numbers.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pseudo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:08 am

I do not give a flying fig if the eastern league has a dedicated reserves comp or not.

So long as their rubbish sides are out of Our Comp then I'm happy.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:05 am

I couldn't let it go 24 hours without a post in the SANFL board
Unheard of
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 am

Oops forgot the extra hour :oops:

Heard of
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:41 pm

johntheclaret wrote:I couldn't let it go 24 hours without a post in the SANFL board
Unheard of

Thanks Port and Adelaide reserves teams.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL