The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby mal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:36 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Didn't renew my GLENELG membership as I said at the beginning of the season due to the reserves comp. Didn't attend one game for the same reason.
YET NOT ONE PHONE CALL FROM THE CLUB TO CHASE ME FOR MY MEMBERSHIP OR WHY I DIDN'T RENEW.

AND THEY WONDER WHY CROWDS ARE DOWN?????????????????

WILL ONLY RENEW WHEN THE AFL IS OUT OF THE SANFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :butthead: :butthead: :butthead:

Fair point raised
Irrespective of your stance, your prerogative

In this instance
Should clubs at least send reminder notices ?
50 cents for a $50+ membership seems good odds for the clubs
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1155 times
Been liked: 909 times

Postby mal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:38 pm

dedja wrote:
FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Didn't renew my GLENELG membership as I said at the beginning of the season due to the reserves comp. Didn't attend one game for the same reason.
YET NOT ONE PHONE CALL FROM THE CLUB TO CHASE ME FOR MY MEMBERSHIP OR WHY I DIDN'T RENEW.

WILL ONLY RENEW WHEN THE AFL IS OUT OF THE SANFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :butthead: :butthead: :butthead:

So you clearly stated that you weren't going to renew, and subsequently didn't, and also didn't attend any games.

So what exactly would have been the point of the club calling you?

But does the club know he was boycotting them?

What if you didnt renew for whatever reason
Should you expect your club to chase you up ?
mal
Coach

Postby RustyCage » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:46 pm

No
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:50 pm

cennals05 wrote:Memberships declined by more than 10% so they are not just blaming the Reserves.

Would think only South and maybe Sturt had significant increase in memberships this year...
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:58 pm

I know many North and Central fans who didn't renew memberships this year and it was solely because of the reserves issue, most of them made it known to their clubs too hence why the CEOs are well aware.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby tipper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:12 pm

link to the article for those that havent seen it: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 7073577188

so the NAFC still dont get it. Edwards claiming we want the sanfl to "return" to what it was 30 years ago. NFI. not what is being asked for at all. after all this time they still dont understand the fundamental argument of the "no" people.... i wasnt even watching footy 30 years ago you ******* pelican

they were warned that this would happen if they voted the reserves in, and they still went ahead with it. at $70 for a basic membership (lets ignore those that purchased home match/season tickets for now) and working on around 3000 members (just a conservative guess, i dont have the current numbers) that makes around 300 that didnt renew this year that they attribute to the reserves entry? so nearly half ($21000 using my guestimated numbers, would likely be higher) of the crows payments gone on that alone?

and we are now supposed to magically change our minds and support this garbage they are feeding us because they cry poor? i do feel sorry for centrals situation. they resisted the intrusion, and have paid the penalty anyway. as far as i am concerned North have made their bed so they can lie in it.

sadly i doubt that will be enough to encourage the club to change its stance (they will still see it as a net gain) but how much will that increase this season? and the season after that? i wonder how long it will be before they change their tune on the inclusion of the reserves sides and if there will be anything to salvage when they do?

and Benny, North didnt ask me why my membership wasnt renewed. but i made sure they didnt have to ask. i was very forthcoming with my reasons
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby dedja » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm

mal wrote:

Fair point raised
Irrespective of your stance, your prerogative

In this instance
Should clubs at least send reminder notices ?
50 cents for a $50+ membership seems good odds for the clubs

Maybe, but sending out by snail mail to the target audience would be around $1,000 a pop.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Fair enough, that's your right, just not sure how or why 100% of the decline should be to the reserves, especially when centrals also had a crap year. And as others mentioned, it is tough economically at the moment, especially in the north.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RustyCage » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:30 pm

Wouldn't most members have supplied an email address when signing up/renewing? That's a pretty cheap way of contacting people
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby dedja » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:31 pm

yep, precisely ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby mal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:36 pm

EMAIL co$t less than a stamp
4TH estate is correct in asking why his club [or any club in this instance] didnt contact him
mal
Coach

Postby cennals05 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:Fair enough, that's your right, just not sure how or why 100% of the decline should be to the reserves, especially when centrals also had a crap year. And as others mentioned, it is tough economically at the moment, especially in the north.

No one said 100% of the decline was from the Reserves and neither did the article.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby topsywaldron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Booney wrote:If today's article is by Kym Morgan ( I don't have a paper to check ) then I would suggest it would suit his agenda, which I might add, I often agree with. However I often disagree with the manner in which he approaches it.

( Footnote - I would be surprised by any article that closely aligned to the SANFL would be by anyone but Morgan )

Stop being elliptical.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Pseudo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Well I received *two* voicemails from the GFC to enquire as to why I hadn't renewed. Perhaps I got Fourth Estate's?

Conversely I emailed the GFC several times during the year about various issues - some membership related, some not - and did not receive a single reply.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby whufc » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:Fair enough, that's your right, just not sure how or why 100% of the decline should be to the reserves, especially when centrals also had a crap year. And as others mentioned, it is tough economically at the moment, especially in the north.

No one said was saying 100%

But in saying that Centrals weren't have a bad year when 99.9% of members would have joined up before round 1
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Aerie » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:01 pm

I renewed with season ticket this year, but won't be next year. Was willing to give AFL Reserves a go, but was a hollow feeling watching those games and seeing my teams season slip away as a result. The final nail for me was the zone changes which saw WWTFC represent Port Adelaide area in place of traditional West Torrens area. If this is the way the SANFL and its clubs need to go to survive, that is fine, but it has been a tedious 2 years with all this debate and there are other things you can spend your weekend doing! What was a habit of going every week can and has very easily been broken. The whole process which took place leaves very little guilt in not renewing.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby bays2011 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:39 pm

Because my club said "yes" to AFL reserves without bothering to make the slightest effort to consult with me I did not renew my membership and did not attend a single game. If you had told me 12 months ago that i would no longer be a member and would not go to a single game I would have laughed and questioned your sanity.

Like some others have mentioned I did not receive an email or phone call from the club asking why I had not renewed. But then I already knew that they didn't value their members (refer no consultation in previous paragraph).

As Arie said, habits are easily broken and there is a lot of other things to do on a weekend. I feel little but contempt for the club I used to love.

"Port" got handed a GF spot and very nearly a premiership. Their GF spot was at the expense of a club who had not played in a GF since 1979. Absolute joke of a "competition."
bays2011
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby sjt » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:55 pm

McIntyre, has left for the country. He comments sanfl is a "big commitment" he spent a lot of time travelling between work and training. Some numpties say the real clubs need to raise the bar to the new benchmark - get stuffed!
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby saintal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:03 pm

sjt wrote:McIntyre, has left for the country. He comments sanfl is a "big commitment" he spent a lot of time travelling between work and training. Some numpties say the real clubs need to raise the bar to the new benchmark - get stuffed!

Yes, that sentiment does irk me greatly.

Only so many hours in the week, especially when 40 of them are spent working/studying etc.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Article in today's paper saying Central and North have had a 10% decline in membership directly attributable to the reserves.

Did they question how many jumped off due to poor on field performances?

Wouldnt 90% of memberships be sold well before the season starts?
I personally dont know anyone who supports any club that waits until the season has started to buy memberships

And with North getting to the GF you'd expect an increase not a decrease.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL