2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 SANFL GRAND FINAL NORWOOD V PA RESERVES

Postby sjt » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:12 am

prowling panther wrote:
dedja wrote:LOL, Port couldn't do it for 15 years until they were gifted a place in a GF.

So should the other SANFL clubs do all this just for the right to play Port in the GF each year?

Give me a break.

No they shouldnt.

They can start doing something about it to make sure those priks have played in their last.

It's reading like you have no suggestions.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 am

Just wondering if you guys could post some more dribble on here. Surely we can get this thread up to 50pages.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby twosheds » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 am

kickinit wrote:Just wondering if you guys could post some more dribble on here. Surely we can get this thread up to 50pages.

Just wondering - are you really that dumb ? If its dribble why are you reading it ? My guess is you will now give us the old "fishing" chestnut :roll:
50 pages ? if only we had such mind boggling insight as yourself why stop at 50 !
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 am

wildcat wrote:
kickinit wrote:Well done norwood, another great year. To all the haters don't worry we will be back in 2015 to make you cry again.

Who's crying? We're all laughing here at Norwood :twisted:

Not just at Norwood either :lol:
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Douglas Mawson » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:35 am

Two days have passed and still feeling that buzz from when the siren sounded. Really proud of what that playing group has done this year and particularly the way they willed themselves through the final series.

A scattered bunch of ten unrelated thoughts:

1. Sturt could easily have won the qualifying final, and deserved to, and theirs and Nwd's finals campaigns would have been very very different. That day was an example of the Nwd structures and discipline overcoming a side that had far more of the football.

2. The third quarter by Port in the Second Semi was the standout quarter of the finals series - better than South's start in the Prelim and better than Nwd's start on the weekend. It was an eye-opener as to what the Magpies might do regularly next year.

3. Adelaide Oval had a saving role to play for the SANFL in crowd numbers for the finals series.

4. The start of the GF was notable in that one club's supporters so significantly out-numbered the other's - but that gradually reached a bit more parity as the Port supporters got there during the game.

5. The Magpies cheersquad has lost none of its passion and venom - they were as large in number, voice and agro as in pre-AFL days.

6. As I've posted before I'd prefer to see my mob contest finals against the Magpies, rather than somebody's AFL seconds team, BUT given the quality of the game on the weekend, and given that the seconds team looked like Magpies, and given that Nwd played with so much guts and determination to hang on, today I'll take that and revel in the GF win.

7. Later, hopefully much much later, my usual angry dark thoughts about this bastardised, conflicted and compromised competition (and my club's duplicity in the yes vote) will no doubt take over.

8. For now, congrats Nwd players- outstanding effort by Dugga and the boys.

9. Still surprised the siren in the last quarter went off so early.

10. It's generally harder to be an SANFL supporter thesedays. So much of what used to be just a simple passionate and parochial adventure each weekend where the only conspiracy theories revolved around umpiring :-) has been replaced by politics, conflicted agendas and spin. Such a shame.
Douglas Mawson
Rookie

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby fester69 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:59 am

kickinit wrote:Just wondering if you guys could post some more dribble on here. Surely we can get this thread up to 50pages.

Glad to oblige, sucked in $cummerton and Garry Shocking!!
fester69
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:01 am

johntheclaret wrote:
wildcat wrote:
kickinit wrote:Well done norwood, another great year. To all the haters don't worry we will be back in 2015 to make you cry again.

Laughing at missing out on finals action?

Strange lot....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:06 am

prowling panther wrote:
sjt wrote:
prowling panther wrote:Tech1, as I mentioned earlier in the season, it is now time for the other clubs to raise their bar.

Norwood did to win the GF, South and Sturt both did to contest the finals, North, Centrals and Eagles all slipped back a little while West and Glenelg made no progress.

All the clubs now realise how much work is needed to be done to keep the Crows and Power reserves at arms length.

We may not see a great deal of differences next season as it all has all into place, I think 2016 will be the season when all clubs have finally come to grips with what is really needed and how far they can push their players.

If any team wishes to enter the top 5, they have to push someone out. That will remain the challenges of all true SANFL Clubs.

Tell that to the SANFL players that bust a gut each week to win a game and try to play in a GF. Tell it to the ones that do the extra sessions for no extra reward, no publicity but take up the challenge and then have to go to work to earn a living no matter how sore and battered they are from the weekend.
The clubs have come to grips with what's required. Pretty easy to say raise the bar. Have you a few suggestions?

I may or may not have the answers you are looking for or want to hear, I can tell you this much, if all the clubs sit around having a moan about it and doing nothing, then our competition, the SANFL that we have grown up with since we started to kick a footy around in the back yard will just lay down, roll over and kark it, is that what you really want.

WTF. Don't you think all the SANFL clubs are doing all they can for success both on and off the field. For every improver there must be a club who finishes further down the table. Sturt and South both improved and replaced two other teams in the five.
Do you think Port's improvement this year is down to them "raising the bar" or perhaps that at one time they had 19 AFL listed players in their squad and when they didn't they had SANFL hardened top ups to call upon?
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 am

Booney wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
wildcat wrote:

Laughing at missing out on finals action?

Strange lot....

Read the posts again bleary eyes ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Second Team » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:32 pm

prowling panther wrote:Tech1, as I mentioned earlier in the season, it is now time for the other clubs to raise their bar.

Norwood did to win the GF, South and Sturt both did to contest the finals, North, Centrals and Eagles all slipped back a little while West and Glenelg made no progress.

All the clubs now realise how much work is needed to be done to keep the Crows and Power reserves at arms length.

We may not see a great deal of differences next season as it all has all into place, I think 2016 will be the season when all clubs have finally come to grips with what is really needed and how far they can push their players.

If any team wishes to enter the top 5, they have to push someone out. That will remain the challenges of all true SANFL Clubs.

Love how South get into the finals for the first time in 100 years and are now giving advice to the rest of the competition. South to lose Brooksby and Eddy and finish bottom in 2015. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Second Team
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:
Legs Man wrote:9 premierships vs 30 - sorry no argument - back to Doggy land.

Tut Tut Legs Man do not become arrogant like SOME of the Power supporters please !!!

History lesson for ya know your foes history like i know yours.

NFC 1878 - 2014

CDFC first league season 1964 - 2014

NFC 86 year head start so more premierships of course !

1964 - 2014

CDFC 9 Premierships

NFC 8 Premierships

Any way enough of history.

Congratulations well done great job in restoring the natural balance of the SANFL even with your salary cap breaches over the last cupla years.

Fantastic effort by you club in beating the filthy rotten stinking AFL POWER RESERVES PARASITIC SKUM !!!!!

Win lose or draw these PARASITES should not be in our comp.

Now get back to your beer and enjoy !

History lesson bewdy.

Norwood first 50 years 18 flags
Central first 50 years 9 flags

Underachievers!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Shit! I commented on this game thread. Damn it.

It's good to know we are still in your thoughts. :D

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:52 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Barely.
Ok, just a smidge.
But barely.

Footy season finished a month ago.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:56 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Barely.
Ok, just a smidge.
But barely.

Footy season finished a month ago.

As a Cat fan, I hear that!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby SimonH » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:17 pm

Douglas Mawson wrote:...A scattered bunch of ten unrelated thoughts:

9. Still surprised the siren in the last quarter went off so early.
Great post generally, but I'll bite on this one. Final siren was somewhere between 26 and 27 minutes, I think. As one who follows from afar (and so I'm often looking at internet score updates that have the game-time on them) I've noticed that SANFL quarters are significantly shorter than their AFL counterparts. I've seen SANFL quarters in the last year or two that only went for 23 or 24 minutes. Whereas I've seen AFL quarters (without anyone being carried off on a stretcher) that have gone for 35 minutes.

This is presumably because the AFL changed the timekeepers' rules a few years back so that a bouncedown/throw-in is automatic time on. In the SANFL at bouncedowns it's definitely still only if time-on is blown by the umpire; not sure about throw-ins. So the number of stoppages in a quarter is now probably as big a determinant of the length of a quarter in the AFL, as the number of goals kicked. It doesn't matter how much of a stoppage-fest you generate, you're not going to have a 30 minute quarter where 4 goals are kicked in the SANFL; whereas it's pretty easy to do that in the AFL.

So between 26 and 27 minutes for a quarter where each side kicked 1.2 seems totally in the ballpark in the SANFL; perhaps even a little longer than you might expect! Of course, I'm pretty biased on the topic of whether the game should have gone another 30 seconds.
SimonH
Under 18s

Been liked: 62 times

Postby Legs Man » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:21 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:
Legs Man wrote:9 premierships vs 30 - sorry no argument - back to Doggy land.

Tut Tut Legs Man do not become arrogant like SOME of the Power supporters please !!!

History lesson for ya know your foes history like i know yours.

NFC 1878 - 2014

CDFC first league season 1964 - 2014

NFC 86 year head start so more premierships of course !

1964 - 2014

CDFC 9 Premierships

NFC 8 Premierships

Any way enough of history.

Congratulations well done great job in restoring the natural balance of the SANFL even with your salary cap breaches over the last cupla years.

Fantastic effort by you club in beating the filthy rotten stinking AFL POWER RESERVES PARASITIC SKUM !!!!!

Win lose or draw these PARASITES should not be in our comp.

Now get back to your beer and enjoy !

History lesson bewdy.

Norwood first 50 years 18 flags
Central first 50 years 9 flags

Underachievers!

regards,

REB

Sorry to gloat :D
It is nice to have history!
Legs Man
Under 16s

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:24 pm

A rough formula for calculating how much time is left in a quarter is around 1 min per goal plus maybe 2 minutes max for ball ups and throw ins.

6 goals kicked in total for the quarter equates to 27-28 minutes of clock time. If a stretcher is needed note the moment the umpires stop the game until they restart.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Thought the last quarter was about right. Not much scoring, but there was a period a few minutes either side of 10 minute mark with numerous thow-ins on the outer side.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby SimonH » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:02 pm

heater31 wrote:A rough formula for calculating how much time is left in a quarter is around 1 min per goal plus maybe 2 minutes max for ball ups and throw ins.

6 goals kicked in total for the quarter equates to 27-28 minutes of clock time. If a stretcher is needed note the moment the umpires stop the game until they restart.
On your formula, the siren should have sounded in the final quarter after 24 minutes! Summerton's missed shot sailed through at 23:59. Even I'm not that cruel to wish that the game finished at that moment. Actually, maybe on reflection I am, when Port are involved.
SimonH
Under 18s

Been liked: 62 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:41 pm

I said rough not exact ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL