SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:34 pm

[quote"bennymacca"]
RB wrote:
bennymacca wrote:This would skew the crowds somewhat - I might have only gone to a couple of centrals games a year at most, so if that's the case it makes sense for me to choose the crows game to go to. This could also explain some of the drop in other games too

So you've been to two Sanfl games this year, compared to how many last year, Benny?

1 this year, zero last year. Went a lot more prior to 3 years ago when I got crows membership[/quote]

Why did you stop going after getting a crows membership?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11907 times
Been liked: 3624 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:[quote"bennymacca"]
RB wrote:
bennymacca wrote:This would skew the crowds somewhat - I might have only gone to a couple of centrals games a year at most, so if that's the case it makes sense for me to choose the crows game to go to. This could also explain some of the drop in other games too

So you've been to two Sanfl games this year, compared to how many last year, Benny?

1 this year, zero last year. Went a lot more prior to 3 years ago when I got crows membership

Why did you stop going after getting a crows membership?[/quote]

Time really. Can't get the leave pass from mrs macca for two games a week
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dog Day Afternoon » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:36 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I'd like to ask if the 5 or 6 Centrals supporters who appear in topic after topic hanging shit on the SANFL are ever going to get over it???

The current scenario has the SANFL in serious trouble and it may not survive in its current form. So no, I will not get over it in a hurry.
Dog Day Afternoon

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I'd like to ask if the 5 or 6 Centrals supporters who appear in topic after topic hanging shit on the SANFL are ever going to get over it???

I don't hang shit on the SANFL.
However, I'm discouraged by the decision that has seen this situation eventuate.
Our club voted no for a reason.
And, I don't think it's just Centrals supporters expressing concern about this.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby RB » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:
RB wrote:

1 this year, zero last year. Went a lot more prior to 3 years ago when I got crows membership

What, you didn't even go to both Ravens-Centrals games?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 772 times
Been liked: 1082 times

Postby Tech1 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Personally i would've expect crowds to be up this year by a fair lot. I would've expected the Powers crowds to be huge, seen as they have been largely dominate this year and the Crows crowds i would've expected to be a lot higher too seen as at the moment it is a novelty factor for them and they don't have to pay, the supporter base for both clubs is huge in the state. I think at the moment if crowds stay the same next year i'd be surprised, i'd expect the crows crowds to diminish and Power crowds will drop even more once they are structured differently next year and come back to the pack even more, this is all a bit of guess work but i think it would be highly more likely then the other way around. The only thing i am hoping, is for the 8 SANFL clubs to get some more funding for recruits and a higher salary cap to make the standard higher and give SANFL club supporters a positive to see on the field about this deal to let these reserves sides in (basically this year there is an extra team in diluting the standard even more compared to when afl players where spread throughout the 9 teams) imho the standard has dropped in the last few years another reason why people probably don't want to pay $14 for entry (another thing that needs to be changed) but some of these things hopefully are already being looked at if the league is paying attention and not just counting numbers and thinking everything is great, imho that's the only way i can see some of the fans that walked away come back.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:07 pm

great post
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:10 pm

Dog Day Afternoon wrote:

The current scenario has the SANFL in serious trouble and it may not survive in its current form. So no, I will not get over it in a hurry.

I'm extremely confident that the SANFL will be around for decades to come.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:13 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Dog Day Afternoon wrote:

I'm extremely confident that the SANFL will be around for decades to come.

It may well be but do we really want another VFL where crowds are usually under 1200 and club memberships are under 1k?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 pm

It will be around. Only the most pessimistic would doubt that. However, the type of SANFL and its relevance to the general community is what those of us who are against the National League's sides' inclusion are worried about.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:23 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:It will be around. Only the most pessimistic would doubt that. However, the type of SANFL and its relevance to the general community is what those of us who are against the National League's sides' inclusion are worried about.

That's fair.

Looking at the ladder though it actually is pretty exciting and staying on topic looking at the last ten games of the season, most of them should draw well as they have a direct outcome on the final 5 and the jockeying of positions within it.

I would expect with improved weather and many amateur season footballers seasons over in 2 weeks that the crowds should be good for finals as well
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:25 pm

The most noticeable thing for me yesterday was that for the first time in the 25 years i have been going to football the Port Magpies didnt have a cheersquad as such at the game, there was literally 3 blokes with one flag each.

Even last year when they played the Dogs in the beff at the same time the Power were playing they still had a cheersquad with at least 15-20 people.
whufc
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:31 pm

whufc wrote:The most noticeable thing for me yesterday was that for the first time in the 25 years i have been going to football the Port Magpies didnt have a cheersquad as such at the game, there was literally 3 blokes with one flag each.

Even last year when they played the Dogs in the beff at the same time the Power were playing they still had a cheersquad with at least 15-20 people.

Yes we at Payneham Norwood Union have been lucky enough to inherit the Port Magpies cheer squad or at least a few of their members. Passionate young lads it's fair to say
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:48 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
whufc wrote:The most noticeable thing for me yesterday was that for the first time in the 25 years i have been going to football the Port Magpies didnt have a cheersquad as such at the game, there was literally 3 blokes with one flag each.

Yes we at Payneham Norwood Union have been lucky enough to inherit the Port Magpies cheer squad or at least a few of their members. Passionate young lads it's fair to say

Agree, great bunch of blokes all good for a friendly sledge and added alot of atmosphere to an SANFL game.
whufc
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:06 pm

klaan wrote:If the SANFL competition ends up achieving 20000 more attendees than last year, is that not a good result?

20000 = the crowd at 2 afl club games + a one-off game at the bay featuring the clown's star child. 7 of the 8 clubs therefore have not seen any benefits of this extra 20000. You still think this is a good thing?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby twosheds » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:05 pm

I also don't "hang shit" on the SANFL. I simply think its wrong in so many ways that Reserves teams are in so to answer your question - No. Thanks for your concern. You honestly think its just "5 or 6 Centrals supporters" that have a problem with it ?
Get your own Arts Show ya fairy !
twosheds
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby sjt » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:43 pm

bennymacca wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:[quote"bennymacca"]
RB wrote:

Why did you stop going after getting a crows membership?

Time really. Can't get the leave pass from mrs macca for two games a week[/quote]
So you travel interstate every second week?
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby bennymacca » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:44 pm

Nope but I block out tv time every week and don't plan anything
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pseudo » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yet still way more people went there than the "traditional games"

According to that great bastion of journalistic integrity, the Sunday Mail:

2801 at Norwood
2743 at Unley
2627 at Glenelg
2139 at Elizabeth
1871 at Woodville

Looking forward to hearing benny boy explain how Norwood-West and Sturt-North are not "traditional" games, but Central-Smears is...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Rising Power » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm

I'd have thought using a process to scan for cervical cancer as a derogatory term to describe another club would be deemed to be offensive by the mods, but obviously there are some low standards applied here.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL