Rik Myall gone

Anything!

Rik Myall gone

Postby dedja » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Another one gone, only 56.

BRITISH actor and comedian Rik Mayall, who found fame in the cult series The Young Ones, has died aged 56.

The star, whose portrayal of puerile anarchist Rick in the BBC comedy endeared him to a generation of viewers in the 1980s, became one of Britain’s best-known comic actors.

While police are investigating the cause of his shock death, his wife Barbara Robbin said he may have had a fit.

“We don’t know yet what happened. He had a strong heart, so I don’t think it was a heart attack.

“But we just don’t know until the coroner’s report,” Robbin told The Telegraph, outside the couple’s home in Barnes, south-west London.

“Maybe he had a fit, maybe it was his heart. We just don’t know.”

Robbin reportedly found the body of Mayall, who she married in 1985.

Police said the death is not suspicious.

In 1998, Mayall survived a potentially fatal accident on a quad bike but had been working until recently.

The accident put him in a coma for five days and left him suffering from epilepsy.

Speaking about the accident last year, Mayall said he had been kept alive on a life support machine for five days and doctors were considering turning it off when he began to show signs of life.

He said the brush with death changed his life — for years afterwards, he would mark the occasion by exchanging gifts with his wife and three children Rosie, Sidney and Bonnie.

“The main difference between now and before my accident is I’m just very glad to be alive,” he said.

“Other people get moody in their 40s and 50s — men get the male menopause. I missed the whole thing. I was just really happy.”

Mayall, who was born in Harlow, Essex, to drama teacher parents, was a key member of the Comic Strip gang along with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.

He became known as the People’s Poet for his stellar performances in Blackadder alongside Rowan Atkinson, as a cynical politician in The New Statesman and was reunited with Young Ones co-star Adrian Edmondson in Bottom .

Celebrities, writers and fans have paid tribute to the comic genius, with his long-time comedy partner Adrian Edmonson leading the honours.

“There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing,” he said.

“They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he’s died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard.”

Blackadder producer John Lloyd said Mayall was “just extraordinary”.

“It’s really a dreadful piece of news,” he told the BBC.
“I remember going to the very first night of the Comedy Store (club in London) and thinking ‘Where does this come from?’.

“It was the most extraordinary thing, him and Ade Edmondson doing the Dangerous Brothers, they were called, and you just felt you were in the presence of something, a whole revolutionary thing.”

Little Britain star David Walliams said: “I am heartbroken that my comedy idol growing up, Rik Mayall, has died. He made me want to be a comedian.

BBC director of television Danny Cohen said Mayall was “a truly brilliant comedian”.

“His comic timing was outstanding and his screen presence unique. For a generation of viewers he was a true comedy hero.”

Writer and comedian Ben Elton said he met Mayall at 18 and went to university with him.

“I owe him so much. He changed my life utterly when he asked me to co-write The Young Ones with him, and he was with me on the day I met my wife,” he said.

“He always made me cry with laughter. Now he’s just made me cry.”

Mayall’s The Young Ones co-star Nigel Planer said he was “very, very sad and upset that we’ve lost Rik, who was inspirational, bonkers, and a great life force.”

He described Mayall as “a brilliant comedian and someone who made everyone else’s lives more fun. He will be really, really missed”.

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 217 times
Been liked: 1034 times

Re: Rik Myall gone

Postby carey » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:42 pm

I was actually taken back a bit when I heard it on the news tonight.

I absolutely loved the young ones especially Rik and Vivian. He was also great in drop dead Fred (Albeit a kiddy type movie I still liked it)

56 way to young. Gets you thinking god I'm nearly 40 :shock:
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Pseudo » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:31 pm

“I feel sorry for you, you zeros, you nobodies. What’s going to live on after you die? Nothing, that’s what! This house will become a shrine! And punks and skins and Rastas will all gather round and all hold their hands in sorrow for their fallen leader! And all the grown-ups will say, ‘But why are the kids crying?’ And the kids will say, ‘Haven’t you heard? Rick is dead! The People’s Poet is dead!’ ... And then one particularly sensitive and articulate teenager will say, ‘Why kids, do you understand nothing? How can Rick be dead when we still have his poems?’”
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby carey » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:55 pm

I actually remember that. :(
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Gozu » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:11 am

As a kid I used to think Vivian was the funniest character on The Young Ones but as I got older I realised it was Rick.

Very sad news.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Two of my favourite Rick quotes;
"At one stage, she took off her bra - so I took of my dungarees"
also,
"Five pound to get into my own room, what have you turned it into, a roller-disco?"

Gone too soon.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5538 times
Been liked: 5171 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby MatteeG » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:06 pm

*Mayall

One of my comedy faves- 56 is way too early!

helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby JK » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 pm

:( :(

FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:56 pm

One less Rik in the world is never a good thing. RIP Ya Freak! Go the Young Ones.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby RustyCage » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Was shocked to hear this, absolutely brilliant on The Young Ones :(
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Gozu » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:36 pm

Gem are showing some episodes of Blackadder II & The Young Ones from 7:50pm-12am on Sunday night.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Been liked: 660 times

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion