R8 - Centrals v Sturt Post Match

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: R8 - Centrals v Sturt Post Match

Postby UK Fan » Mon May 26, 2014 2:06 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
sjt wrote:The crows Carlton game doesn't look much different to the sturt central game. Crows vrappy short kicks that they can't execute. No wonder AFL crowds are dropping. Boring.

have you heard of adelaide oval :roll:

You are aware the AFL encompasses more than a new stadium in Adelaide?
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 26, 2014 2:50 pm

gossipgirl wrote:
sjt wrote:The crows Carlton game doesn't look much different to the sturt central game. Crows vrappy short kicks that they can't execute. No wonder AFL crowds are dropping. Boring.

Average crowds at AFL level :

2014 33,743
2013 33,484
2012 32,747
2011 36,452

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/attendances?year=2011&t=A&h=A&s=T
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7496 times
Been liked: 10782 times

Postby SANFLnut » Mon May 26, 2014 3:37 pm

The score in this match and the relative positions on the ladder demonstrates what happens when one of the best junior development programmes takes on one of the worst. Obviously some recruits in each side too, but I reckon the foundation of the comp in the near future is going to be even more about producing 15 sound league players from within your club at any one time. Centrals haven't done it and are starting to pay the price of leaning heavily on recruits recently (as are Westies).
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 26, 2014 3:45 pm

Not entirely correct.
Sure our juniors have struggled at recent times, but the majority of our senior side has been locally produced over a long period of time.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby smac » Mon May 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Booney wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

2014 33,743
2013 33,484
2012 32,747
2011 36,452

Without examining it, considering the increase in South Australia this season compared to last I would suggest that the rest of the country is battling to maintain crowds. There is consistent talk on SEN about falling crowds at AFL level as well.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby sjt » Mon May 26, 2014 7:07 pm

smac wrote:
Booney wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

2014 33,743
2013 33,484
2012 32,747
2011 36,452

Without examining it, considering the increase in South Australia this season compared to last I would suggest that the rest of the country is battling to maintain crowds. There is consistent talk on SEN about falling crowds at AFL level as well.

I should have clarified at etihad and the Mcg.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby sjt » Mon May 26, 2014 7:14 pm

Booney wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

2014 33,743
2013 33,484
2012 32,747
2011 36,452

What about since around 2005 Booney? We'll also see over the whole year, averages at the start of the year compared to a whole year are generally higher.
sjt
League - Best 21

Postby bulldogproud2 » Mon May 26, 2014 8:35 pm

SANFLnut wrote:The score in this match and the relative positions on the ladder demonstrates what happens when one of the best junior development programmes takes on one of the worst. Obviously some recruits in each side too, but I reckon the foundation of the comp in the near future is going to be even more about producing 15 sound league players from within your club at any one time. Centrals haven't done it and are starting to pay the price of leaning heavily on recruits recently (as are Westies).

It does make it hard when your local zone has only half the number of juniors playing Aussie Rules as many other zones.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Red Rocket » Mon May 26, 2014 8:55 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:The score in this match and the relative positions on the ladder demonstrates what happens when one of the best junior development programmes takes on one of the worst. Obviously some recruits in each side too, but I reckon the foundation of the comp in the near future is going to be even more about producing 15 sound league players from within your club at any one time. Centrals haven't done it and are starting to pay the price of leaning heavily on recruits recently (as are Westies).

It does make it hard when your local zone has only half the number of juniors playing Aussie Rules as many other zones.
Cheers

Also doesnt help when plenty of the kids return to their local clubs because they are sick of being shafted down there
Plenty of rumours of local clubs offering decent incentives for the kids to stay at their club aswell.
I think most A grade sides in the BL&G league would have atleast 1 U18 playing in their side, must be a reason why these kids are not going down to Centrals. Perhaps its a lesser training committment
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby sjt » Mon May 26, 2014 9:27 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:

Cheers

Spot on bulldogproud2. I counted 11 locals, I assume sturt had a fair bit more.? Was probably our lowest percentage of local players for many years. Historically we've been up there with the most "local players", despite significantly less participants and schools.
sjt
League - Best 21

Postby whufc » Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:

Cheers

Also doesnt help when plenty of the kids return to their local clubs because they are sick of being shafted down there
Plenty of rumours of local clubs offering decent incentives for the kids to stay at their club aswell.
I think most A grade sides in the BL&G league would have atleast 1 U18 playing in their side, must be a reason why these kids are not going down to Centrals. Perhaps its a lesser training committment

Yeah I don't think it helps having the cashed up bl&g, Adelaide plains and then being the most northern club making them the closest to all the northern leagues.

Our ability to find decent jobs for players has diminished as well, it's been reported we lost a few players to other clubs because of employment.

It's also only been the least couple of seasons the club has had to advertise on open forums looki f for fans to help find jobs for players.

Also having a marketing manager who isn't a player probably makes us a recruit down as well all know how most clubs use that role
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 27, 2014 9:46 am

Jars' fault!
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue May 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Jars' fault!

I'm not blaming him but back in the day we marco bello as marketing manager, chad O'Sullivan and trent Goodrem as junior football development.

Now we have a non player as marketing manager and am I correct in saying Luke Habel is the football development officer by himself.

That's a big difference in salary cap space.

And it doesn't include Stenhouse as the Gardner lol
whufc
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue May 27, 2014 1:33 pm

whufc wrote:

I'm not blaming him but back in the day we marco bello as marketing manager, chad O'Sullivan and trent Goodrem as junior football development.

Now we have a non player as marketing manager and am I correct in saying Luke Habel is the football development officer by himself.

so the reason that CDFC is struggling a bit is because you've stopped manipulating the salary cap regs?
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby gossipgirl » Tue May 27, 2014 2:06 pm

UK Fan wrote:
gossipgirl wrote:

You are aware the AFL encompasses more than a new stadium in Adelaide?

NOPE ;)
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1433 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby whufc » Tue May 27, 2014 4:09 pm

mots02 wrote:
whufc wrote:

so the reason that CDFC is struggling a bit is because you've stopped manipulating the salary cap regs?

I think all clubs do it!!!!!
whufc
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue May 27, 2014 4:37 pm

So...Saturday.
It was one of least skilled games I've seen in a long time. Sturt were horrible for the first two and a half quarters.
Probably the youngest side I can recall putting on the park for a long time.
Paul Thomas tried his guts out and his mooted retirement at the end of the season is going to be a massive blow for our leadership.
After the first quarter, I was really angry because I thought we were playing so poorly.
Then, as the match progressed, I reflected on the youth of our side and its inexperience
In the end, a 10 goal loss wasn't so bad, it could've been worse - some important players out, inexperience, playing one of the leading sides - and it was only a 15 minute patch which saw the margin blow out.
Thankfully, a late goal saw us kick away the possibility of kicking our lowest score against Sturt.
So...I don't want to get too used to losing but have to accept this is a development year.
Our defence is reasonable, as we can keep opposition to low scores, it's just that when they get a run on the midfield, we seem to have no way of controlling it and stopping the flow.
We don't have enough players running both ways and we aren't intuitive with the ball, or getting into the right position to receive the ball.
One thing that does frustrate me, is our scoring - we seem to find ways every week to not score. So often we attack promisingly and through no-one else's fault but our own we butcher the shot/opportunity.
Two examples on Saturday, I think it was Habel got bumped as he kicked towards an open goal in the goal square. The ball hit the post - unless you're getting dragged down, it should always be a goal from there. There was also Hewett's dropped mark, easiest I've ever seen dropped.
It's not pressure from the opposition that forces these mistakes, it's our own lack of confidence in ourselves and our team-mates.
Hopefully we can get some of our better players back next game.
Two blokes that are having a go week-in, week-out are the Schillers. We can build a side around those blokes - hard at it, in and under and they're going to be good leaders.

Who was 21 for Sturt? Did he cop much of a ribbing after the actual siren started?

On a final note, I hate to think what Port are going to do to us when we play them.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby CUTTERMAN » Tue May 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Yep. Thought #38 Schiller had a great game. Quick, gets a lot of the ball and good disposal.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby wild dog » Tue May 27, 2014 11:19 pm

mots02 wrote:
whufc wrote:

wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Big Phil » Tue May 27, 2014 11:31 pm

mots02 wrote:so the reason that CDFC is struggling a bit is because you've stopped manipulating the salary cap regs?

Are you being serious?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL