EPL Season 2013/2014

EPL, FA Cup, Carling Cup, The Championship, etc

Re: EPL Season 2013/2014

Postby Bully » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:54 am

the owners want to do what arsenal have been doing for the previous ex amount of seasons. Spend little, and expect to win the league every season
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Bully wrote:the owners want to do what arsenal have been doing for the previous ex amount of seasons. Spend little, and expect to win the league every season

But what the club needs to understand in this day and age. Is that you will be lucky to find a player with natural talent that you can groom into a player like Rooney or Ronaldo, maybe once every 10 years. In the mean time, the club has to spend huge amounts of $$$ to sign star quality players. Especially from other leagues or if the player already comes from a very successful team.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

EPL Season 2013/2014

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 pm

Bully wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Plenty would want the job, United could be back in the title as early as next season with the right manager and influx of players.
Klopp is an interesting one, keeps saying he is staying but his best players are jumping ship quickly with a couple headed to a strong Munich side and he has admitted he will have to sell more and spend next year rebuilding, maybe a new challenge would appeal to him

klopp would need at least a full season to get the mancs to play the way he wants them, which it seems, going on yesterdays headlines, the owners are not prepared to wait a full season. So why would he take the job? You are turning into a spud football club. You will by the looks change the manager every 6 months when things don't go right. Can see it coming with Arsenal when Wenger goes which rumours are he is going after the FA Cup final.

Bit early to call us a spud club after one bad season, if we are still in this situation in 2-3 years time ill rethink my stance.
Remember Liverpool were a basket case only 18 or so months ago and they have shown with the right manager and a couple of good ins things can turn around quickly.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Bully wrote:the owners want to do what arsenal have been doing for the previous ex amount of seasons. Spend little, and expect to win the league every season

But what the club needs to understand in this day and age. Is that you will be lucky to find a player with natural talent that you can groom into a player like Rooney or Ronaldo, maybe once every 10 years. In the mean time, the club has to spend huge amounts of $$$ to sign star quality players. Especially from other leagues or if the player already comes from a very successful team.

Its about spending it on the right players.
Shiteh and the Chavs have shown that throwing large ammounts of money around doesnt guarantee success
Jim05
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:52 pm

So which players do we need to go after and who do we need to sell??
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:So which players do we need to go after and who do we need to sell??

Gone: Evra, Vidic
Need to go: Ferdinand, Smalling, Nani, Welbeck, Carrick, Hernandez, Powell, Fellaini, Cleverley, Young
In: Cavani, Kroos, Reus, Griezmann, Strootman, Shaw just to start.
In reality though, we will sell 4 or 5 and maybe bring in 3-4 tops, just depends on who the manager is and if he can bring players with him aswell
Jim05
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

We'll take Valencia off your hands if you don't want him anymore :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:

The Clarets spent £450k in 18 months and are now Premier League
It isn't about the money, it's about how you manage it / them
Chelsea spent £50m on Torres.
I rest my case
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Bully » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

So why the rumours of bids for the top three players in the world then John from your mob ;) ?
Bully
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:26 pm

As for Moyes, look at the facts
What he had to work with is what Ferguson left behind
Half the squad won't be there next year and not because they are moving on to bigger, better things. How is he suppose to motivate those players.
He had to follow the greatest manager in history, one who hasn't actually left but continues to sit in the stands like a ghost from Christmas past and who makes comments to the press.
Personally I think the job was a poisoned challis from the off. I also think Ferguson knew exactly what he was doing when he resigned last year.

Lots of big foreign names being bandied about and if that is the way they chose then I wouldn't expect United to be challenging for anything soon. They don't have the level of cash compared to City or Chelsea who can afford to change their Managers once a year and effectively change their squads with the same frequency.

The new manager will want to spend £250m and when he doesn't work out, his replacement will want to spend £250m and so in. United don't have those resources.

Liverpool have got it spot on. After decades of unprecedented success with home grown managers they went down the path of one foreign manager after another who spent million after million and won bugger all. Now they have come full circle with Rodgers who has spent next to nothing compared to City, Chelsea etc and is on the brink of bringing home the bacon.

United need to think carefully before just opting for the headline winner. I'd be looking around the UK first. Which why they went for Moyes I guess.

Mark Hughes has done a good job at Stoke taking them to their highest ever league position. Is an OT old boy and has worked at City so could handle a big club mentality. Hate to say it but also did a pretty good job at Blackburn before moving on to City. You can ignore the Fulham job.

Nigel Adkins did a fantastic job at Southampton and looks like he might get Reading up this year. Another manager who knows how to get the best out of his players and get them playing as a team. Developed players like Lallana, Rodriques, Lambert who are all now knocking at the England door.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Bully wrote:So why the rumours of bids for the top three players in the world then John from your mob ;) ?

I didn't say big buys are duds. I said it doesn't matter whether you spend big or small it's how you manage them.

Ginger Mourinho would get the best out of Messi and co no problem and probably get much more out of Torres too.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:23 pm

johntheclaret wrote:As for Moyes, look at the facts
Half the squad won't be there next year and not because they are moving on to bigger, better things. How is he suppose to motivate those players.
He had to follow the greatest manager in history, one who hasn't actually left but continues to sit in the stands like a ghost from Christmas past and who makes comments to the press.
Personally I think the job was a poisoned challis from the off. I also think Ferguson knew exactly what he was doing when he resigned last year.

Spot on I reckon! Any chance Fergie could jump back into the chair for a bit?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 pm

JK wrote:

Spot on I reckon! Any chance Fergie could jump back into the chair for a bit?

No chance IMO, and would be a bad decision if he came back.
Jim05
Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Apparently Sir Alex Ferguson is again involved in selection process for a new Manchester United manager :roll:

Is this really wise given that he was largely responsible for the failed Moyes appointment?

The situation with Fergie at United is similar to that of a son taking over the reigns of a family business from his retired father and having the old man, bored stiff, still rocking up at work every day pottering around and sticking his nose into everything.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Bully » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:01 pm

Keane has come out today blaming the players
Bully
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:56 pm

westozfalcon wrote:Apparently Sir Alex Ferguson is again involved in selection process for a new Manchester United manager :roll:

Is this really wise given that he was largely responsible for the failed Moyes appointment?

The situation with Fergie at United is similar to that of a son taking over the reigns of a family business from his retired father and having the old man, bored stiff, still rocking up at work every day pottering around and sticking his nose into everything.

Thats the opposite to what im led to believe.
Was told he will have no say in the selection of the new manager
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Bully wrote:Keane has come out today blaming the players

Keane is tipped to become assistant if Van Gaal gets the gig.
No doubt players deserve some of the blame but you cant do much when the manager puts the wrong side and formation out on the pitch time after time.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:00 pm

Lots of big foreign names being bandied about and if that is the way they chose then I wouldn't expect United to be challenging for anything soon. They don't have the level of cash compared to City or Chelsea who can afford to change their Managers once a year and effectively change their squads with the same frequency.

The new manager will want to spend £250m and when he doesn't work out, his replacement will want to spend £250m and so in. United don't have those resources.

Liverpool have got it spot on. After decades of unprecedented success with home grown managers they went down the path of one foreign manager after another who spent million after million and won bugger all. Now they have come full circle with Rodgers who has spent next to nothing compared to City, Chelsea etc and is on the brink of bringing home the bacon.

United need to think carefully before just opting for the headline winner. I'd be looking around the UK first. Which why they went for Moyes I guess.

Mark Hughes has done a good job at Stoke taking them to their highest ever league position. Is an OT old boy and has worked at City so could handle a big club mentality. Hate to say it but also did a pretty good job at Blackburn before moving on to City. You can ignore the Fulham job.

Nigel Adkins did a fantastic job at Southampton and looks like he might get Reading up this year. Another manager who knows how to get the best out of his players and get them playing as a team. Developed players like Lallana, Rodriques, Lambert who are all now knocking at the England door.

I think they will look at all avenues.
Still no English manager to win the league for over 20 years though but there are plenty of decent British ones around
Jim05
Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:05 pm

I hear that Jurgen Klopp has ruled himself out of the United job, but his brother Klippity is showing some interest :lol:
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:08 pm

Wholeheartedly agree! This is purely my reason for feeling for the guy, took a chance to test himself out and found out he wasn't up to it. **** knows most of the managers I have worked with in my working life have seemed well out of their depth yet don't have the public scrutiny so just keep muddling along.

As you said it's not as if Fergie wanted to fade away into the sunset he is still there so it's hardly a retirement, he just realised he'd rather someone else be in charge while they slipped down the table. That being said he did himself no favours bringing in his own boot room, needed to maintain the status quo and make his changes slowly over time.

Buy him a baseball cap and get the Wizard Tony Pulis on the sidelines! If he can get the rabble that I saw at Selhurst earlier in the year in the top half then he almost deserves manager of the year!
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Soccer  English Soccer