Round 2 - Central v Norwood Post Game

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 2 - Central v Norwood Post Game

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:in the future though, if they are guaranteed increased exposure through the game being televised on commercial TV, increased sponsorship opportunities would offset or maybe even eclipse the downturn in people turning up. just not sure what that number is.

That number would be ZERO. do you seriously think that any new sponsors might jump on board because of exposure to commercial TV what 3 or 4 times a year? Especially when even now no one seems to know when or if your club is going to be televised. Not as though you can go to potential sponsors and tell them what they are going to get for their dollars.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46 pm

That number is obviously not zero, and all the talk pre season was about increased opportunities for sponsors. No brainier really. Now with the schedule, it is weird that they haven't publicised it for the whole year, or are they reserving the right to change which game they show?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby CENTURION » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:25 pm

bollocks.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby cennals05 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:in the future though, if they are guaranteed increased exposure through the game being televised on commercial TV, increased sponsorship opportunities would offset or maybe even eclipse the downturn in people turning up. just not sure what that number is.

Considering we had to cover up one of our sponsors signs because the game was being televised. A sponsor that is worth $40000, how is that helping the club?
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:That number is obviously not zero, and all the talk pre season was about increased opportunities for sponsors. No brainier really. Now with the schedule, it is weird that they haven't publicised it for the whole year, or are they reserving the right to change which game they show?

I was previously a sponsor of Centrals. Now no interest whatsoever.

i sponsor a local soccer club and ammo football club instead.

And it costs all up under 50% of what the SANFL sponsorship package did for both.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

cennals05 wrote:

Considering we had to cover up one of our sponsors signs because the game was being televised. A sponsor that is worth $40000, how is that helping the club?

Really? Why was that?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm

UK Fan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:That number is obviously not zero, and all the talk pre season was about increased opportunities for sponsors. No brainier really. Now with the schedule, it is weird that they haven't publicised it for the whole year, or are they reserving the right to change which game they show?

And it costs all up under 50% of what the SANFL sponsorship package did for both.

Interesting. Do you know whether they increased their prices as a result of the new TV deal?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Big Phil » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:
cennals05 wrote:

Really? Why was that?

That sponsor was the main opposition to the Broadcaster...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:54 pm

ok, well surely Ch9 is a special case. cant generalise with that one.

I would be interested to hear how it was pitched to the "rank and file" sponsors, i.e An oval sign etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Can't generalise? When C9 say next year that they won't sponsor the club, or will sponsor it less, how has that helped us?

I know you're a Crows supporter looking for positives, but...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:46 pm

The reason I say you can't generalise is that they are literally the only sponsor I could think of that would have to be covered up. If there are others I stand corrected.

And this has nothing to do with the crows does it?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Interesting. Do you know whether they increased their prices as a result of the new TV deal?

No they didnt
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby SANFLnut » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:58 pm

There was a lot of talk preseason that has not turned out to be true. Extra Crows crowds, promotional work by Crows, Port not having reserves & Port only having kids as top up players, Glenelg improving ..........
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:05 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:
Gozu wrote:Crowd was 1,959.

TV broadcast at that time arguably cost 1100-1600 people by previous attendances

what is an acceptable number, given the assumption that they got close to the record TV ratings? how many TV fans equal a fan at the ground?

serious question, because obviously low crowds are a big problem, but if it is traded off against increased exposure, it may still be beneficial.

the early start time would have hurt a lot i would have thought. particularly with young kids finishing footy and then going down to the game, which is what i always used to do when i was that age.

Low crowds are definately a worry, especially to clubs that make a fair bit off meals etc during the day. I would think Centrals would of made a loss on the weekend. Grand Central is normally full of people having a meal and drink. Would think bar and canteen sales would of been only half of normal

Ill ask granty this weekend what the predicated loss was. As I posted on the day there were 17 people in the front bar and zero bistro meals half an hour before kickoff when normally the club would be pumping.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club lost around 5k in income on the day
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06 pm

You reckon that is timeslot issues?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm

I'm not how if any extra sponsorship would have been made especially considering one of our bigger sponsors now channel 9 had to have all their advertisements boards covered over.

Not sure if the club had channel 9 on board before the channel 7 deal was done
whufc
Coach

Postby sjt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:12 pm

whufc wrote:

I'm not how if any extra sponsorship would have been made especially considering one of our bigger sponsors now channel 9 had to have all their advertisements boards covered over.

Not sure if the club had channel 9 on board before the channel 7 deal was done

Surely they should be reimbursed If they've lost any sponsorship revenue due the sanfl deciding to pay 7 to cover the games.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:You reckon that is timeslot issues?

Yep timeslot was the main issue.

Imho the 'exposure' argument is far overrated and giving exposure to people who will probably never attend an SANFL game or in particular the two teams involved games (because if they were keen they would probably be at the game especially in the conditions saturday through up) and are only flicking on as a preview to the afl game is not of any great value to the SANFL clubs.

Can we compare tv ratings from the Centrals Norwood game on the abc last year to the channel 7 game this year.

Also having how thousands of people watching the Norwood v port didn't seen to help ports first round crowd or Norwoods away supporter base.

I like the product channel 7 is producing but I can't see any value to centrals
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Definately IMO, as a travelling fan I enjoy going to the bistro before the game, have a good feed a few ales and a spin on the pokies. Usually catch up and have lunch with the same 4-5 blokes everytime we go to Elizabeth, this year we all got to the game late and went home as soon as the game was over. All of us are season ticket holders so probably spent $20 between the lot of us, normally it would be $600-700
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Definately IMO, as a travelling fan I enjoy going to the bistro before the game, have a good feed a few ales and a spin on the pokies. Usually catch up and have lunch with the same 4-5 blokes everytime we go to Elizabeth, this year we all got to the game late and went home as soon as the game was over. All of us are season ticket holders so probably spent $20 between the lot of us, normally it would be $600-700

My 3 other mates who go every week without fail were the same, we would normally spend $50 each in the front bar before the game on a meal, beers and bets and then after the game depending on result, mood, weather etc etc it could be another $50 each if not more.
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL