Bands coming to Adelaide

Yes, music now has its very own forum!

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Postby saintal » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 am

Russian Circles @ Fowlers on 30/4.

Terrific instrumental rock/metal band. Very loud live.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:15 am

Went to The Ramsgate to see Phil Jamieson last night. ( Grinspoon front man )

What a bloody shambles. Phil set up on a "stage" that was about 20cm off the ground in the corner of the front bar, just about the most congested part of the place. He came on around 9:30, if you got there after 8:30 and were at the back you would simply not have seen a thing. We got in there about 8:00 and were about 7-8 from the front.My vertically challenged Mrs couldn't see anything from there, the people at the back would have had no chance.

Nobody on the door checking for tickets, two security lads walking around with a clip board with the names of everyone who purchased a ticket on there, no ticket = no wrist band = out you go! Worst. Idea. Ever. So you can imagine the amount of people just wandering into the front bar filling the place up without a ticket.

Phil comes on with his guitar and strips back about 14 or 15 Grinspoon numbers. Pretty accomplished guitarist to be honest, nowhere to hide with just you and an acoustic guitar. He was pretty good, time is catching up with him, plenty of grey hairs now. Looked healthy though, I'm assuming he's clean at the moment.

Phil was great, the venue was shit and the beers were nearly $10 each.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:03 am

The Ramsgate is a woolies run pub - enough said.
They f#cked up my local boozer too.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5525 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Gozu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:37 am

Gary Numan @ HQ Thurs 29th May
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby MatteeG » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 am

Gozu wrote:Killswitch Engage/Kill Devil Hill @ HQ Tues 15th April

Nice. 18+ too, so I'll only feel old instead of really old.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby UK Fan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:28 pm

phil Jameson was awesome.

Ramsgate as a venue was not great
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby RustyCage » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:47 pm

You Am I and Spiderbait.

Memorial Drive

Saturday March 29

Starts at 7, just after the Showdown. Can't wait!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Failed Creation » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:04 pm

RustyCage wrote:You Am I and Spiderbait.

Memorial Drive

Saturday March 29

****! I wish I didn't have a mate's 30th straight after the game... Both of those bands remind me of my teenage years.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Gozu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:07 pm

Frente/Maples @ The Gov Fri 6th June

Frente are re-releasing an expanded version of their hit album 'Marvin The Album' to celebrate the album's 21st anniversary and will be playing the whole album in full along with the extra songs from the internationally released version of the album.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Gozu wrote:Frente/Maples @ The Gov Fri 6th June

Frente are re-releasing an expanded version of their hit album 'Marvin The Album' to celebrate the album's 21st anniversary and will be playing the whole album in full along with the extra songs from the internationally released version of the album.

Holy shit, that's awesome!
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby LMA » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:38 pm

RustyCage wrote:You Am I and Spiderbait.

Memorial Drive

Saturday March 29

Is this just a short Showdown after party or a proper gig ?
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Gozu » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:37 pm

A mate came over from Sydney and we went to that Zorn @ 60 show last night at Festival Theatre as part of the Adelaide Festival and what a night it was! Crows CEO Steven Trigg was there so one good thing you can say about him is he has good taste in music.

There were four sets last night with 10-15 min intervals between each set the show started at 7:30pm and was meant to go to 11:30pm but didn't finish until 12:15am, nearly five hours worth.

The first set was The Song Project featuring Mike Patton and the gorgeous Sofia Rei on vocals and a guy called Jesse Harris who writes for and plays with Norah Jones. The songs covered a number of styles from salsa to hard rock, Patton's screaming during the heavier songs was awesome, Trevor Dunn's masterful playing of his double bass but Marc Ribot (guitar) and Joey Baron (drums) were the highlights of this set with Zorn getting into it with his conducting. The best song was the encore song 'Assassin's Bay' co-written by Sean Lennon, Patton, Rei & Harris.

The second set featured three parts: Illuminations, The Holy Visions and The Alchemist. Illuminations was a short set by Trevor Dunn, Kenny Wollesen & Stephen Gosling with Dunn's double bass playing the standout of this piano based trio. Next up was The Holy Visions an a capella group of five women. Their singing was ethereal & beautiful as they sometimes seemed to go into gregorian style chants.The last part was The Alchemist a five person group consisting of string instruments like violins & cello. It sounded good but would've been better within the confines of an orchestra.

The third set was Moonchild a hard rock/metal trio of Mike Patton, Trevor Dunn & Joey Baron playing their 6th and most recent album 'Templars: In Sacred Blood' in full accompanied by John Medeski on organ. This was the highlight for me just over The Song Project, the power these three create live is incredible. There is no guitarist in Moonchild but Dunn now on regular bass seems to play guitar lines so you don't even really notice. Baron's drumming was spectacular and Patton vocals were crazy from the full on screaming and blood curdling shrieking to deep chanting. This is the 7th time I've seen a Mike Patton band live from Faith No More to Mr. Bungle to Fantomas to Tomahawk and now thankfully I've seen a rare live performance from Moonchild who's 7th album recorded in January has been confirmed to be their last.

The fourth and final set started off with The Dreamers where Jamie Saft's electric piano, Kenny Wollesen's Vibraphone and Cyro Baptista's percussion were the standouts. Then came Electric Masada with Ikue Mori doing electronics, Marc Ribot’s guitaring again standing out and finally John Zorn got on his alto saxophone and let rip with his duck-strangling playing.

An amazing night watching some of the world’s finest musicians performing together in little old Adelaide for John Zorn’s first & last Australian tour.

These are the same Song Project & Moonchild sets from the Moers Festival in Germany last year that they played last night:

Gozu
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:26 am

Gozu wrote:A mate came over from Sydney and we went to that Zorn @ 60 show last night at Festival Theatre as part of the Adelaide Festival and what a night it was! Crows CEO Steven Trigg was there so one good thing you can say about him is he has good taste in music.

There were four sets last night with 10-15 min intervals between each set the show started at 7:30pm and was meant to go to 11:30pm but didn't finish until 12:15am, nearly five hours worth.

The first set was The Song Project featuring Mike Patton and the gorgeous Sofia Rei on vocals and a guy called Jesse Harris who writes for and plays with Norah Jones. The songs covered a number of styles from salsa to hard rock, Patton's screaming during the heavier songs was awesome, Trevor Dunn's masterful playing of his double bass but Marc Ribot (guitar) and Joey Baron (drums) were the highlights of this set with Zorn getting into it with his conducting. The best song was the encore song 'Assassin's Bay' co-written by Sean Lennon, Patton, Rei & Harris.

The second set featured three parts: Illuminations, The Holy Visions and The Alchemist. Illuminations was a short set by Trevor Dunn, Kenny Wollesen & Stephen Gosling with Dunn's double bass playing the standout of this piano based trio. Next up was The Holy Visions an a capella group of five women. Their singing was ethereal & beautiful as they sometimes seemed to go into gregorian style chants.The last part was The Alchemist a five person group consisting of string instruments like violins & cello. It sounded good but would've been better within the confines of an orchestra.

The third set was Moonchild a hard rock/metal trio of Mike Patton, Trevor Dunn & Joey Baron playing their 6th and most recent album 'Templars: In Sacred Blood' in full accompanied by John Medeski on organ. This was the highlight for me just over The Song Project, the power these three create live is incredible. There is no guitarist in Moonchild but Dunn now on regular bass seems to play guitar lines so you don't even really notice. Baron's drumming was spectacular and Patton vocals were crazy from the full on screaming and blood curdling shrieking to deep chanting. This is the 7th time I've seen a Mike Patton band live from Faith No More to Mr. Bungle to Fantomas to Tomahawk and now thankfully I've seen a rare live performance from Moonchild who's 7th album recorded in January has been confirmed to be their last.

The fourth and final set started off with The Dreamers where Jamie Saft's electric piano, Kenny Wollesen's Vibraphone and Cyro Baptista's percussion were the standouts. Then came Electric Masada with Ikue Mori doing electronics, Marc Ribot’s guitaring again standing out and finally John Zorn got on his alto saxophone and let rip with his duck-strangling playing.

An amazing night watching some of the world’s finest musicians performing together in little old Adelaide for John Zorn’s first & last Australian tour.

These are the same Song Project & Moonchild sets from the Moers Festival in Germany last year that they played last night:

I'm ******* jealous, you prick... ;)

I mean that in the nicest possible way too...
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:08 am

Hey I'd be jealous too! It was such an incredible night it's totally re-defined the live music experience for me knowing I'll never experience something like that again.

How could I ever see just a band live again? What there is only one band, there isn't like 30 of you rotating through numerous bands and you're not playing four sets over nearly five hours and there isn't intervals throughout etc? ;)
Gozu
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:22 am

Gozu wrote:Hey I'd be jealous too! It was such an incredible night it's totally re-defined the live music experience for me knowing I'll never experience something like that again.

How could I ever see just a band live again? What there is only one band, there isn't like 30 of you rotating through numerous bands and you're not playing four sets over nearly five hours and there isn't intervals throughout etc? ;)

That's a fair call, mate. The icing on the cake is Patton and Dunn's involvement too...
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 am

For sure I couldn't believe Dunn played bass during all four sets too.

We were speaking to a couple of blokes next to us who worked for a radio station and they said they went all four nights and we asked them what Bladerunner (Zorn, Laswell, Lombardo) were like the night before and they said bloody loud and heavy and not being that familiar with him from Slayer or Fantomas said that Dave Lombardo guy is an incredible drummer.

I kind of regret not going to the Thursday night show too but couldn't really afford it, Patton who was there for the Cobra show got up and did a song with Bladerunner too. Here is a review of that show if you're interested.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/aust ... ned-palate
Gozu
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:44 pm

Gozu wrote:For sure I couldn't believe Dunn played bass during all four sets too.

We were speaking to a couple of blokes next to us who worked for a radio station and they said they went all four nights and we asked them what Bladerunner (Zorn, Laswell, Lombardo) were like the night before and they said bloody loud and heavy and not being that familiar with him from Slayer or Fantomas said that Dave Lombardo guy is an incredible drummer.

I kind of regret not going to the Thursday night show too but couldn't really afford it, Patton who was there for the Cobra show got up and did a song with Bladerunner too. Here is a review of that show if you're interested.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/aust ... ned-palate

Holy shit, that sounds awesome.

I wish I was able to afford to go to one of the shows, let alone multiple shows.
Failed Creation
Coach

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:29 am

What do people think about the Rolling Stones Adelaide show possibly being cancelled? Shoud it be? Would love to hear people's thoughts.
Blackwhite
Reserves

Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Payneham NU

Postby Wedgie » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 am

Blackwhite wrote:What do people think about the Rolling Stones Adelaide show possibly being cancelled? Shoud it be? Would love to hear people's thoughts.

It'll mean the ground is in better nick for footy so happy but disappointed for friends who had tickets. I saw them at Footy Park, that was enough for me. When you're used to seeing Springsteen doing 3.5 quality hours plus at concerts the Stones seem pretty ordinary. I prefer seeing their cover band Satisfaction in pubs.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smac » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:06 am

It means we can host the shield final tho?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Music