Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two months

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: Navy intercepts seventh boat of asylum-seekers in two mo

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:The main question I have is WHY are people from Iran, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal coming to Australia?
Do they open an atlas and go: "Gee Australia looks nice - let's go there"

because it is a nice place to live! i would want to come here.
especially when you consider that places like malaysia and indonesia are not signatories to the UN refugee convention, so there is no obligation of these countries to process people that claim asylum, and they quite often have no access to work, healthcare, etc etc in these countries. so its not just that they are looking for the nicest place, but also somewhere that will have them.

Sums up the absurdity of the argument
I dont like where I was born, or live, so I'll pick a nice paradise, travel thousands of miles putting my kids at risk, spend thousands of $$$ to get there and claim refugee status, because I know they're soft.
BTW, I am happy to accept Rwandans who walk a thousand miles to go to the next country to escape genocide.
Big difference!!!!!
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 720 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 pm

Well I bet it's a hell of a lot better than Somalia...
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:59 am

bennymacca
Coach

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am

In what respect is it excellent?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:00 pm

Gave me an insight into what it is like at a detention centre
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:Gave me an insight into what it is like at a detention centre

Well one individual's opinion of what it is like. (Or is a pressure group behind the site.)
What the site contains is not real hard evidence.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 pm

Or it may give you an insight to an employee who was dismissed and tried to sell a story to Newscorp, Fairfax, Channels 9,7.10 and the ABC and could not find a buyer.

I don't know if either is true but I am very wary of stories from unnamed sources In the media.

Completely different on here where unnamed sources are never used......
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:55 pm

DOC wrote:Or it may give you an insight to an employee who was dismissed and tried to sell a story to Newscorp, Fairfax, Channels 9,7.10 and the ABC and could not find a buyer.
I don't know if either is true but I am very wary of stories from unnamed sources In the media.
Completely different on here where unnamed sources are never used......

True, it may be genuine - it may even be true and not just one man's perspective.
However, I thought it was necessary to express some scepticism as it appeared to be being treated as irrefutable truth.
Psyber
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:09 pm

I wasn't treating it as irrefutable truth or even representative of the overall experience of any of the asylum seekers, but I'm sure there are considerable elements of truth.

To me it just seems that all of the political actions on all sides of parliament (greens aside) have been to try and dehumanise these people, so anything that provides a first hand perspective and comments on some undoubted human tragedy interests and saddens me. And this dehumanisation I think is the main reason for our (imo) in humane policies.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Psyber » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:I wasn't treating it as irrefutable truth or even representative of the overall experience of any of the asylum seekers, but I'm sure there are considerable elements of truth.

To me it just seems that all of the political actions on all sides of parliament (greens aside) have been to try and dehumanise these people, so anything that provides a first hand perspective and comments on some undoubted human tragedy interests and saddens me. And this dehumanisation I think is the main reason for our (imo) in humane policies.

Fair enough BM.
I don't know what the solution is - the humane and the socio-political aspects seem to be in total conflict, and all the countries between their origin and us seem to be trying to solve their part of the problem by assisting in passing the immigrants on to the end of the line.
Psyber
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm

Wouldn't be an easy job, and if the person who worked there couldn't handle the training, he shouldn't have gone on with the employment.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:01 pm

bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:59 pm

Nice life jackets courtesy of the Australian Navy.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:34 pm

This cracks me up

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/human-rights-commission-opposition-call-for-independent-inquiry-into-manus-island-detention-centre-violence/story-fni6ulvf-1226831228987

Iran summons Australian ambassador
Meanwhile Iran’s official IRNA news agency is reporting the country’s foreign ministry has summoned the Australian ambassador to protest the death of an Iranian who sought asylum in Australia.
The Tuesday report says the ministry’s consular director, Hosein Mirfakhar, expressed Iran’s “protest and discontent’’ to Paul Foley about the asylum seeker, who died during a violent protest in a detention camp run by Australia on Papua New Guinea’s Manus Island.
The Iranian official sought changes in the treatment of asylum seekers, said IRNA.
The report did not identify the asylum seeker, who died from head injuries.
In recent years, Iranian nationals have been among the thousands of people who seek asylum in Australia. Many have attempted to reach the country by boat, mostly from Indonesia.

So.......these people are leaving Iran and seeking asylum here because of some religious or political persecution in Iran, yet their government is protesting about their treatment here?? :rolleyes: That is completely f***ed up
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:49 pm

Have to agree with you there, that is pretty silly.

But the death of someone who is supposedly coming here to seek safety is a tragedy
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:The main question I have is WHY are people from Iran, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal coming to Australia?
Do they open an atlas and go: "Gee Australia looks nice - let's go there"

because it is a nice place to live! i would want to come here.
especially when you consider that places like malaysia and indonesia are not signatories to the UN refugee convention, so there is no obligation of these countries to process people that claim asylum, and they quite often have no access to work, healthcare, etc etc in these countries. so its not just that they are looking for the nicest place, but also somewhere that will have them.

Sums up the absurdity of the argument
I dont like where I was born, or live, so I'll pick a nice paradise, travel thousands of miles putting my kids at risk, spend thousands of $$$ to get there and claim refugee status, because I know they're soft.
BTW, I am happy to accept Rwandans who walk a thousand miles to go to the next country to escape genocide.
Big difference!!!!!

Firstly, by global standards, very few asylum seekers DO seek to come to Australia. We are only about 34th in the world in terms of countries where asylum seekers head. What may be surprising to many is that Pakistan is actually number one, due to its close proximity to Afghanistan. Secondly, the majority of asylum seekers who come by boat come from Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Sri Lanka. Unless you have been living under a rock, you should know that each of those countries is war-torn and people are being killed on a daily basis. If you will accept Rwandans then there should be no problem at all accepting pretty much all asylum seekers as those fleeing from these countries are under just as much persecution as Rwandans.
Cheers
Last edited by bulldogproud2 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:This cracks me up

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/national/human-rights-commission-opposition-call-for-independent-inquiry-into-manus-island-detention-centre-violence/story-fni6ulvf-1226831228987

Iran summons Australian ambassador
Meanwhile Iran’s official IRNA news agency is reporting the country’s foreign ministry has summoned the Australian ambassador to protest the death of an Iranian who sought asylum in Australia.
The Tuesday report says the ministry’s consular director, Hosein Mirfakhar, expressed Iran’s “protest and discontent’’ to Paul Foley about the asylum seeker, who died during a violent protest in a detention camp run by Australia on Papua New Guinea’s Manus Island.
The Iranian official sought changes in the treatment of asylum seekers, said IRNA.
The report did not identify the asylum seeker, who died from head injuries.
In recent years, Iranian nationals have been among the thousands of people who seek asylum in Australia. Many have attempted to reach the country by boat, mostly from Indonesia.

So.......these people are leaving Iran and seeking asylum here because of some religious or political persecution in Iran, yet their government is protesting about their treatment here?? :rolleyes: That is completely f***ed up

Agreed that it is pretty much a case of the 'pot calling the kettle black'. However, the fact that you are acknowledging that people coming from Iran seeking asylum are indeed suffering persecution will hopefully have you agreeing that they should actually receive asylum in Australia.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:56 pm

bulldogproud2 wrote:
Firstly, by global standards, very few asylum seekers DO seek to come to Australia. We are only about 34th in the world in terms of countries where asylum seekers head. What may be surprising to many is that Pakistan is actually number one, due to its close proximity to Afghanistan. Secondly, the majority of asylum seekers who come by boat come from Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Sri Lanka. Unless you have been living under a rock, you should know that each of those countries is war-torn and people are being killed on a daily basis. If you will accept Rwandans then there should be no problem at all accepting pretty much all asylum seekers as those fleeing from these countries are under just as much persecution as Rwandans.
Cheers

Rwandans don't come by boat.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 pm

If, and when, they prove persecution, then we take it from there as potential refugees.
Until they can prove refugee status, then they will have to wait to cross our borders.
Jumping on a boat, which they paid a considerable amount of money to do, is not proof.
BTW, what would you do with a "refugee" from Somalia who has been involved in mass murder, or a Taliban gunman who has killed Aussie soldiers? Just let him in?

We are only 34th because of the distance to travel. Most just go next door. Why not stay in Indonesia or Malaysia? Very nice places; better than Pakistan, yet they receive more than anyone. Benny hit the nail on the head why people come here: because its a nice place. That's half the problem - are they genuine refugees or just coming here because it's a better place? Or is it because the snakeheads in Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Sri Lanka have us on the brochures (which is what I reckon is the true reason they pick Australia)

To be honest, any rioters on Manus Island should be shipped back home.
Just because you didn't get what you want doesn't entitle you to break laws, cause damage or hurt other people.
Don't like it?: go home. It wont change if you are given refugee status.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:03 pm

Seems there are 33 other countries that are a 'nicer place' than Australia.

They don't stay in the aforementioned countries because they aren't signatories to the convention.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Politics