Predictions - and discussion - in lead up to 2014 season..

Talk on the national game

Re: Predictions - and discussion - in lead up to 2014 season

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I don't really understand the lack of confidence in Brisbane

How many of your first round picks are there from the last 5 years? Most of them just walked out. Can't be a good thing.

Midfield looks good but still no one looking even remotely close to replace JB and defence is only average
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:25 pm

Defence is good. Merrett and Patfull two of the best stoppers going around
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby BZB27 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:35 pm

1: Fremantle
2: Hawthorn
3: Sydney
4: Nth Melbourne
5: Richmond
6: Carlton
7: Collingwood
8: Adelaide

9: Pt Adelaide
10: Gold Coast
11: Geelong
12: Essendon
13: Western Bulldogs
14: West Coast
15: Brisbane
16: GWS
17: Melbourne
18: St Kilda

GF
Fremantle v Hawthorn

Brownlow
Fyfe

Coleman
Cloke
BZB27
League - Best 21

Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 173 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:01 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I don't really understand the lack of confidence in Brisbane this season.
Yeah they lost a few players, but only Yeo was consistently in the team. Longer, Polec, Docherty and Karnezis
The Lions were a kick away from playing finals last year.
If they'd beaten Geelong in that final game and Port had won (both games under a goal), they would've been in the 8.
I think Leppitsch will be a better coach than Voss and young guys like Rockliff (who will finally be played in the middle all year), Redden, Rich, Hanley, Golby, Harwood, Mayes, Green and Zorko will only get better.

I'm not saying they're going to make the 8 - they may or may not - but they certainly won't be in the bottom 4-5 like everyone's predicting barring a horror run with injury.
The key will be finding someone to help Brown out. Good to see the big fella will be given a rest at full forward this year. Should've happened years ago.

Have another look at your draw. That will count against IMO.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:

geelong again? surely they are starting to get too old, and their kids just arent ready to do all the heavy lifting yet. i still dont know how they managed to blood all of them whilst being so good still. if stevie j and selwood pump out similar years they will be around the mark, and hawkins was down last year too.

While I agree we are looking likely to slip, it won't be because we are too old. We've just jettisoned Corey, Pods, Hunt and Chapman (sob!). Since the 2011 flag Mooney, Ottens, Ling, Wojinski, Scarlett, Byrnes and Milburn have all gone. I think we can go 5-8 and miss the top four because we aren't old enough.

I think the Cats have been looking at having a genuine tilt at 2015 for some years now with new generation of Cats and that the 2011 flag was just a bonus.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:22 pm

5-8 for the cats sounds about right, but im still struggling to work out who of the middle tier clubs other than north could make the top four, so there is every chance geelong do it again
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:39 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Baron Greenback wrote:I don't really understand the lack of confidence in Brisbane this season.
Yeah they lost a few players, but only Yeo was consistently in the team. Longer, Polec, Docherty and Karnezis
The Lions were a kick away from playing finals last year.
If they'd beaten Geelong in that final game and Port had won (both games under a goal), they would've been in the 8.
I think Leppitsch will be a better coach than Voss and young guys like Rockliff (who will finally be played in the middle all year), Redden, Rich, Hanley, Golby, Harwood, Mayes, Green and Zorko will only get better.

I'm not saying they're going to make the 8 - they may or may not - but they certainly won't be in the bottom 4-5 like everyone's predicting barring a horror run with injury.
The key will be finding someone to help Brown out. Good to see the big fella will be given a rest at full forward this year. Should've happened years ago.

Have another look at your draw. That will count against IMO.

regards,

REB

Yeah true. Tough start to the year.
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Fricky » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:12 pm

Premiers - Freo
Brownlow - Rockliff
Coleman - Cloke
Wooden spoon - St Kilda
Rising Star - Jack Martin (GCS) or James Aish (Bris)
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Re: Predictions for 2014

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Squids wrote:Who will become the new whipping boy?

Betts, when they realise what a squib he is. Give the fans a month before he is labelled a overpaid Carlton hack

38, 42, 50, 48, 27 goals in the last 5 years.

just looking at the leading goalkickers for small forwards in those 5 years, you could pretty much say milne, lecras and stevie j (if you can call him a small foward) are the only ones that did consistently better than him.

also compare that with the crows leading goalkicker tally over those years 57, 46, 32, 63, 33

betts tally would have placed him 4th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 3rd for the crows goalkicking.

but dont let stats get in the way of a good story lads

So the stats say he's been on the slide the last 2 years?
Lucky the Crows only play 2 "big" games a year, should increase his output
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby carey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Count his goals against Sydney, Freo, Geelong or the Hawks he always cashes in against poor opposition yet when the blues needed him to stand up he never did in the 'Big Games'

I believe his stats are misleading
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Squids » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I agree but interestingly he was ranked 2nd in goal assists per a game in 2013 and 2012.

Source for tsg

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pc-a ... ward-betts
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:55 pm

Thank you
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby westozfalcon » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:north melbourne are definitely the smokey for the top 4. they lost so many close games last year, and even if they only won half of them they would have sat comfortably in the eight.

But they didn't and I don't rate them. I expect them to be 7th-10th.

Yep im with you Booney, i cant understand peoples hype about them. Good capable side definately, but not top 6 material IMO.

I'm in the same camp.

I also don't think Brad Scott is as good a coach as he's made out to be. He's always at the ready to voice his opinion to the media on any issue in the game and has made many believe he's a great thinker and visionary. This smokescreen has allowed him to keep critical analysis of his team's performances at bay.

The $2.40 being offered on North missing the 8 is good value.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Squids » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 pm

westozfalcon wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:north melbourne are definitely the smokey for the top 4. they lost so many close games last year, and even if they only won half of them they would have sat comfortably in the eight.

But they didn't and I don't rate them. I expect them to be 7th-10th.

Yep im with you Booney, i cant understand peoples hype about them. Good capable side definately, but not top 6 material IMO.

I'm in the same camp.

I also don't think Brad Scott is as good a coach as he's made out to be. He's always at the ready to voice his opinion to the media on any issue in the game and has made many believe he's a great thinker and visionary. This smokescreen has allowed him to keep critical analysis of his team's performances at bay.

The $2.40 being offered on North missing the 8 is good value.

Very easy draw, flat track bullies like Petrie also perform well against the swill.

Come at me spargo, facts are facts though.
Squids
Coach

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 205 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Johno6 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:40 am

so all the crows fans that used to hate on betts will love him this year and say what a great player he is
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43 am

Johno6 wrote:so all the crows fans that used to hate on betts will love him this year and say what a great player he is

Buddy Franklin is now one of the greats and all round nice guy and i have NEVER said anything bad about him in the past... :D
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:54 am

Facts are facts indeed squidly. Petrie had a disappointing 2013, like the whole side did. However I'm pretty sure he would be a walk up start in most teams. I'm not going to try and change your opinion on Petrie (haters gonna hate remember), but his role has changed a bit over the last couple of seasons with the development of Black and a fit Tarrant. He plays up the ground more it would seem and gives Goldy brief rests in ruck. His consistency and yes, his ability to perform against the top sides needs to improve. He's also one of the few older heads in what is still a pretty young team.
North's draw is considerably easier than 2013 (which champion data rated the hardest), but remember we did finish 10th.

Westozfalcon, I don't know who has rated Brad Scott as a good coach, the fact he has opinions and is willing to not go down the boring line but express them with a bit of emotion surely can't be a bad thing can it?
And as for the team escaping "critical analysis" - this statement beggars belief. They copped it (and rightly so) from all parts of the media and footy public for giving up leads and losing so many close ones.
North need to start matching it with the likes of Sydney and Freo who shut sides down so well. They won't be a contender until they do.
Also, the $1.53 on offer for North to make the 8 is money for jam. They won't miss the finals this year.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby westozfalcon » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:22 pm

Spargo wrote:Facts are facts indeed squidly. Petrie had a disappointing 2013, like the whole side did. However I'm pretty sure he would be a walk up start in most teams. I'm not going to try and change your opinion on Petrie (haters gonna hate remember), but his role has changed a bit over the last couple of seasons with the development of Black and a fit Tarrant. He plays up the ground more it would seem and gives Goldy brief rests in ruck. His consistency and yes, his ability to perform against the top sides needs to improve. He's also one of the few older heads in what is still a pretty young team.
North's draw is considerably easier than 2013 (which champion data rated the hardest), but remember we did finish 10th.

Westozfalcon, I don't know who has rated Brad Scott as a good coach, the fact he has opinions and is willing to not go down the boring line but express them with a bit of emotion surely can't be a bad thing can it? And as for the team escaping "critical analysis" - this statement beggars belief. They copped it (and rightly so) from all parts of the media and footy public for giving up leads and losing so many close ones.
North need to start matching it with the likes of Sydney and Freo who shut sides down so well. They won't be a contender until they do.
Also, the $1.53 on offer for North to make the 8 is money for jam. They won't miss the finals this year.

Fair call. It is better than spouting predictable, boring platitudes like a lot of coaches do. I just think Scott should curb his philosophizing and proffering of an opinion on all sorts of football matters. Leave that to the proven and experienced coaches like Malthouse, Clarkson, Thompson, Lyon etc. Until he has the coaching runs on the board himself he should keep that sort of thing to a minimum.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby kickinit » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Johno6 wrote:so all the crows fans that used to hate on betts will love him this year and say what a great player he is

probably not, because he'll be spitting the dummy dangerfield isn't passing him the ball
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby cracka » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:11 pm

No different to anyone else really. Only Crows fans will turn on him quicker than most if he doesn't perform, excluding Richmond fans of course.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL