SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:33 pm

citycoaster17 wrote:Morell, I agree with some of your comments, but fitness, regardless of what division you are playing in, is surely the most important asset any footballer can have. There is no point having all of the skill and ability in the world, if you cant get your hands on the footy.
Lets take for example, two opponents, of equal weight, height, strength and talent. One can run 15 laps in good time at training, the other can get around the oval say 3 times before he needs a breather. These two guys line up on each other on a Saturday, and there are 15 contests, 1 on 1, with the ball about 30 metres away. How many times do you think the bloke with supreme fitness is going to get his hands on the ball first and pump it long. Not to mention his delivery will be much better because he isn't so spent by the time he gets the footy, and his decision making will be better because his mind is clear, and not asking himself how am I going to get my next breath. Just my opinion.
Well sure, but that's a strawman hypothetical isn't it? Doesn't really address my key point. I am not saying fitness should be completely ignored, I am saying it gets given precedence, undeservedly, over learning the mechanics of the game.

Take those same two footballers. Two opponents of equal weight, height, strength and fitness. One can kick a football in his sleep and is renowned as being highly skillful and intelligent footballer, the other is playing his second year of football and is pretty new to the game.

These two guys line up on each other on a Saturday, and there are 15 contests, 1 on 1, with the ball about 30 metres away. How many times do you think the bloke with supreme talent is going to get his hands on the ball first and pump it long?

I think it could be summarised, and to use a tired internet methodology for explaining hierarchies, as me thinking the following:

Talent >> Courage > Intelligence > Motivation > Fitness

Whereas I think many people in the lower divisions have it as:

Fitness >>> Courage > Motivation > Talent > Intelligence
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Q. wrote:The best drills at training are the ones where the decision-making is left up to the player/s and skills are executed under a degree of pressure.
So what about when you've taken a mark and you need to place a kick under no pressure other than your own? I find that skill more difficult than when I have gathered a loose ball and am on the run and need to hit a target quickly.

Why is that? Why does the biomechanic change?
morell
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:39 pm

morell wrote:
Q. wrote:The best drills at training are the ones where the decision-making is left up to the player/s and skills are executed under a degree of pressure.
So what about when you've taken a mark and you need to place a kick under no pressure other than your own? I find that skill more difficult than when I have gathered a loose ball and am on the run and need to hit a target quickly.

It's because you're shit ;)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Seriously though, you wouldn't just train to kick under pressure, I'm just saying that those drills that best mimic gameplay are the best. It's not as though we're kicking to cones on a saturday.
Q.
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:12 pm

morell wrote:
zedman wrote:"Which according to local footy lore and all the stories people tell me about you, have all been innumerate."

You should be able to quantify that statement with a few examples then eh?

I look forward to hearing from you. :)
I used the word "lore" very deliberately as I cannot vouch for their veracity.

One story I can recall was a day you were playing MPFC on our oval and Kenilworth were flogging us. I think the story goes that you kicked 7 goals to 3 quarter time so we put some "heat" on you. Rumour has it that you asked to come off. Quite a few other people have told me stories about you after reading some of our discussions on the interweb.

Details and specifics of names and places will be withheld as I wouldn't want to betray any confidentiality.

so as i thought..you have nothing except one story from one game..and a fairly inaccurate story as well..but thats to be expected as you werent even there were you? you are making it up as you go along..

i was 36 years old that season and played as a permanent forward pocket..i wonder how well you will play when you are 36? there was no heat put on me the whole game..i distinctly remember kicking a goal in the last quarter and spent no time off the ground..i had 4 goals in the first quarter and you guys ran out of players to try and put on the old guy with the silver hair..try again..liar liar!! :)

"Quite a few other people have told me stories about you after reading some of our discussions on the interweb."

more lies..tell the stories then..you dont have to name names..my worst games of football would still appear in your top 10..

"Details and specifics of names and places will be withheld as I wouldn't want to betray any confidentiality"

dont need to know who told you..just need to know when it was..coaching meltdowns you claimed,spit them out then..you wont because your FOS..

"moments which you squibbed out of the contest or coaching meltdowns."

walk the walk college boy..so far you have delivered SFA! :)
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:23 pm

I would rather tell you these stories - and they are only stories, which I freely admitted, not sure why you think I think theyre gosbel - to your face rather than post personal attacks on a football forum. I will leave the finger pointing, name calling and low ball diatribe to you.

Mind you the tenacity of your response suggests there might be a touch of truth there.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:30 pm

Q. wrote:
morell wrote:

It's because you're shit ;)
haha, at least your attacks aren't veiled with a lame attempt to troll.

and whilst true, I am shit, why am I shit? Maybe a better and improved emphasis on skills and techniques would have made me less shit.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm

Q. wrote:Seriously though, you wouldn't just train to kick under pressure, I'm just saying that those drills that best mimic gameplay are the best. It's not as though we're kicking to cones on a saturday.
yeah agree, we did a really good decision making drill this year which required the player to make a call on the right option whilst they're getting chased. It was amazing to see guys with perfect kick to kick skills either take the wrong option, take too long or fluff the kick. Or all three.

This is in line with what I am trying to say, we need to make the skill muscle memory and instinctive as even with that drill if we did it for 20 minutes as an individual you would only get 3 turns. Which is nowhere near enough.

need an idea on how to mechanically break down the skill, teach it until it's second nature and then practice the execution.
morell
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm

morell wrote:I would rather tell you these stories - and they are only stories, which I freely admitted, not sure why you think I think theyre gosbel - to your face rather than post personal attacks on a football forum. I will leave the finger pointing, name calling and low ball diatribe to you.

Mind you the tenacity of your response suggests there might be a touch of truth there.

im asking for the stories on HERE because i know you have nothing and you have made claims on HERE that arent true..its not a personal attack if im asking you to tell them to me and I can then verify them or call BS..spit it out or admit you made it up..

so you never name call or go low ball diatribe..thats news to me..

the tenacity of YOUR responses to my critique of YOUR game versus lockleys suggests truth..not vice versa.. :)
zedman
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:05 pm

morell wrote:
Q. wrote:Seriously though, you wouldn't just train to kick under pressure, I'm just saying that those drills that best mimic gameplay are the best. It's not as though we're kicking to cones on a saturday.
yeah agree, we did a really good decision making drill this year which required the player to make a call on the right option whilst they're getting chased. It was amazing to see guys with perfect kick to kick skills either take the wrong option, take too long or fluff the kick. Or all three.

This is in line with what I am trying to say, we need to make the skill muscle memory and instinctive as even with that drill if we did it for 20 minutes as an individual you would only get 3 turns. Which is nowhere near enough.

need an idea on how to mechanically break down the skill, teach it until it's second nature and then practice the execution.

You've either got it or you don't. Refinement of skills may happen over several seasons.

Whereas, fitness levels can be greatly increased over a shorter time period. it is much easier to bring a squad up to a desired level of fitness, than it is to bring that squad up to a desired level of disposal efficiency.
Q.
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:10 pm

zedman wrote:
morell wrote:I would rather tell you these stories - and they are only stories, which I freely admitted, not sure why you think I think theyre gosbel - to your face rather than post personal attacks on a football forum. I will leave the finger pointing, name calling and low ball diatribe to you.

im asking for the stories on HERE because i know you have nothing and you have made claims on HERE that arent true..its not a personal attack if im asking you to tell them to me and I can then verify them or call BS..spit it out or admit you made it up..

so you never name call or go low ball diatribe..thats news to me..

the tenacity of YOUR responses to my critique of YOUR game versus lockleys suggests truth..not vice versa.. :)
zedman, enough is enough, I am not going to repeat what people have said as its tantamount to slander. Happy to PM you a few tales if you wish but I am not posting them publicly as they are too unkind and I'm not that type of guy. If that means it’s an indication that I am making it up in your eyes, then happy to be that in your eyes, I really don’t care.

As for the tenacity of my response to your critic of my Lockley's game, I am not sure how many times I need to admit that I didn't have a good game for it to sink in, but, my poor performance was due to my lack of talent and superior opponent, not my lack of fitness, which was the point I was trying to emphasise and the reason why it was tenacious.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Q. wrote:
morell wrote:

You've either got it or you don't. Refinement of skills may happen over several seasons.

Whereas, fitness levels can be greatly increased over a shorter time period. it is much easier to bring a squad up to a desired level of fitness, than it is to bring that squad up to a desired level of disposal efficiency.
Very, very interesting. We have a thinker!

So we don't do this because the skills of the game are just too complicated, the variables too large in number? We figured that at least we can change fitness, so cut our losses and work on that?
morell
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:26 pm

morell wrote:enough is enough, I am not going to repeat what people have said as its tantamount to slander.

As for the tenacity of my response to your critic of my Lockley's game, I am not sure how many times I need to admit that I didn't have a good game for it to sink in, but, my poor performance was due to my lack of talent and superior opponent, not my lack of fitness, which was the point I was trying to emphasise and the reason why it was tenacious.

people have told you nothing..your full of it and you have zero stories..and yes you looked very slow and unfit versus lockleys..44 minutes of football and you were gone..

in your own words..

"haha, yeah he got on top of me, I was only on him for a half though. For whatever reason probably the worst game I've played all year. Just had nothing left after I blew a gasket pretty early on playing at CHB."

blew a gasket tends to tell me you had nothing left in the tank..bit tired?

and you dont troll or name call? heres a brief selection from the last 2 months:

"Only of how good most of the CLG boys haircuts are. More work goes into half of them than the Sistine Chapel"

"I couldn't really care less, but I find CLG finals history and the characters therein hilarious."

"Will Harvey step on something sharp tonight and ruin his chances?"

"Can CLG lose more than one grand final in one year?"

"Will zedman crack the shits and yell at the rubbish bin?"

"Will scotroo cry when the big bad WOS midfield say boo?"

"Jeez I know CLG are playing but surely there is something interesting to discuss about this weeks game"

"Fair dinkum get a grip scottroo you blouse."

have a nice day.. :)
zedman
Coach

Postby X Runna » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Get over it you lot - everyone else must be sick of it by now too.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm

I am trying X Runna.

zedman, check your PM's. Feel free to repost the comments from other people if you want.

That's the thing, YOU chose to make what was quite a genteel and friendly football discussion and make it a personal attack on me as an individual based on one game that you saw. This is your doing, not mine.

"Only of how good most of the CLG boys haircuts are. More work goes into half of them than the Sistine Chapel"

That's a compliment!

"I couldn't really care less, but I find CLG finals history and the characters therein hilarious."

it is funny! This year is like the cherry on the cupcake, you've lost more GF's than I have had hot dinners.

"Will Harvey step on something sharp tonight and ruin his chances?"

hahaha! well, he didn't, but you still lost. This is quite common knowledge and has been posted by quite a few people I beleive.

"Can CLG lose more than one grand final in one year?"

Alas, no, just one main one.

"Will zedman crack the shits and yell at the rubbish bin?"

hahah, well, did you?

"Will scotroo cry when the big bad WOS midfield say boo?"

This was in reference to scotroo being a bit dramatic after seeing a blue and putting our player in the shit.

"Jeez I know CLG are playing but surely there is something interesting to discuss about this weeks game"

An attempt to gerenate some dsicussion.

"Fair dinkum get a grip scottroo you blouse."

He was being a complete blouse!

None of them are really deeply personal. They not specific or pointed, more a bit of fun.

Banter <> Attack ;)
morell
Coach

Postby zedman » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 pm

morell wrote:I am trying X Runna.

zedman, check your PM's. Feel free to repost the comments from other people if you want.

That's the thing, YOU chose to make what was quite a genteel and friendly football discussion and make it a personal attack on me as an individual based on one game that you saw. This is your doing, not mine.

it is funny! This year is like the cherry on the cupcake, you've lost more GF's than I have had hot dinners.

seen your pm..you have an active imagination..i have responded with my thoughts on them!..maybe you can post the ones i got sent about you that i forwarded..they are all legit as well! :)

so you troll and its banter but for others to do it its personal attacks..not opinions.. :roll:

i saw you play 3 times this year not once..i have fair idea on your weaknesses and the style of game you play..

what years have CLG lost A grade GF's besides 2013?
Last edited by zedman on Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zedman
Coach

Postby scottroo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Morrell, as easy as it is to bag CLGFC, at the end of the day, we are growing as a club, fastest growing junior setup in MSJFL, 2 teams in 2011 looking like we might field 7 in 2014. 65 registered senior players in 2011. 135 guys represented our club in 2013! love or hate us, we are on the right track and looking towards growing even further. When you guys produce what we have over the last 2-3 years then you can bag us, until then, enjoy the time warp that is MPFC
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Yeah fair enough scottroo, well done on your success. The vast majority of my comments are designed to poke a bit of fun, nothing personal at all.

Me stirring you up about hair gel and Harvey's champagne glass is hardly going to rustle too many jimmies.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:19 pm

morell's Myth Number 8!

8. Outside players are soft.
morell
Coach