Backing up data

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Backing up data

Postby Dissident » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:10 pm

Hey all

Overall, we run the gauntlet when it comes to our data. Home computers/laptops, and portable devices, contain a myriad of data files that we really do consider important. Some things, like movies, or TV shows - we can do without. Things like that can be downloaded again. But other files are extremely valuable to us; photos, home videos and documents.

I am by no means an expert in all of this, but I have had some experience in data backup/recovery, and have lost data of my own. This is just my view on things.

It might seem overkill, but we really need to look at different scenarios. What if your hard drive dies? What if your computer is stolen? What if your computer, and everything else in your study/office is stolen? What if you have a house fire and lose everything you own? In each of those situations, what have you lost? Where do you get it back from?

Tip 1: Imagine different scenarios, and imagine what you lose in each one.

At worst, you should have a copy of important files somewhere. Burning DVDs or having an external HDD is the minimum you should have. After this, you should then think about where you store that backup. In the same room? In another room? At someone elses house? All good (and progressively better) options.

Tip 2: Consider an "off-site" backup for photos, documents etc

So you have a backup HDD, and leave it at someone elses house. Then, their house is broken into, and it's stolen. Who has your data? Not you - and not your friend. Was the data secured? Encrypted? Anything? Whilst having the data outside of your house is a great idea- it's less secure.

Tip 3: Discover ways to encrypt your data, especially if it's not going to sit in your control/reach

Organisation is paramount in backing up - having all your data in a logical format and structure on your computer makes backing up a lot easier. Naming files and folders so you can see quickly what they are, and then structuring the folders in a clever way means that finding data is simple - and if it's simple to find data on your computer, it's simple to find it on a backup.

Tip 4: Arrange and organise your localised data

You can't have too many backups. Obviously you need to work out security, and manageability, but in essence, ten copies of something is better than zero. So how else can you cover yourself? The answer is probably online backups. There are many options for this, some good, some bad, some cheap and some expensive. The idea is that you have a private "cloud" (I hate that word) where you can backup data, and restore from. I love this method, as it covers me in the event that my entire suburb is blown up (and I survive). In that event, I can get anything back I want and haven't lost a thing. And, it doesn't have to cost a lot.

Recently, I've tried a few different companies for this. DropBox was one I initially tried, and it was really good. Simple and effective, you could backup data and restore it quite easily. You could sync data over many decides too. But it was restrictive in many ways, so I moved on to Sugarsync.

Sugarsync is awesome. I can have it installed on my work computer, home computer and laptop - as well as my smart phone. I can set a folder (akin to My Documents) which, if I copy things into, will be replicated on all devices I set it to. On top of this, I can backup data to my cloud for later retrieval. How much does it cost? Well,t he free account on Sugarsync give you 5 Gb of space which can be increased if you perform certain tasks (install it on a mobile device, for example).

And, if you like the service, you can upgrade to 30Gb of data - which is plenty for most people to backup every photo they have ever taken along with a copious amount of other personal data. that costs you $4.99USD a month, or $50 a year. As good as the price of a cup of coffee each month for the benefit of having your personal photos and information backed up securely, and at your finger tips.

Online backups have a heap of other features too - a lot to worry about here - but when you look into email attachment saving, file sharing, social media posting and other cool things, it makes it a simple decision.

Tip 5: Strongly consider ONLINE BACKUPS.

On a side note, if you are interested in Sugarsync, let me recommend you. If you sign up from my referral, you receive 500Mb extra, and so do I. If you then sign up for a paid account ($5 a month), we both receive TEN GIG extra. No, I am not posting this to get you to all sign up, and to be honest, as much as extra space is nice, it's that cheap anyway - but I figure share and share alike. Shoot me your email if you'd like a referral. Alternatively, refer each other - and benefit from the 10Gb bonus. to see a quick video on backups/sugarsync, check out the video here : https://www.sugarsync.com (click on the "Watch a video" link)

In summary - back your shit up. No one wants to lose data, especially photos from ten years ago, or your important business documents. Those things are priceless, and whilst you can always get tv programs, software, movies etc back - some things can't be replaced.
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Re: Backing up data

Postby Q. » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:22 pm

$50 a year? Cheaper than a portable hard drive!

Have just been collating photos and data from a couple of hard drives so this is a timely nugget of info. PM on it's way...
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Hondo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Yeah, that's a great tip ... online backups. Backups are something I keep meaning to do something about but then forget to do.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby smac » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:33 pm

I had a hard drive that started dying so now all of my backups are in a folder named "hard drive" on the desktop. Works well. :oops:

Thanks for the nudge, Diss!
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Psyber » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:54 pm

I have an external USB hot swap box and a couple of HDDs I alternate in it.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby kickinit » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:53 pm

I keep DVD stored in the safe with really important stuff I need. Also run an external HD. On the Mac I run time machine which will backup your computer for you. You just setup how often you want to back it up. The first time takes a bit to backup depending how much you have on your computer but after that it just backs what is new and is pretty quick. As I don't run windows anymore I'm sure they do offer something similar and would strongly recommend using it does save a heap of time and a little bit of peace of mind.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Punk Rooster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:17 pm

I have been using Dropbox, but will look at utilising Sugarsync.
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Dissident » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Dropbox is great - but basic. It's good for a simple-type use.
I didn't find the app very good (though that was a year ago)
Sharing between users is far nicer with SS, as is backing data up in general (that you don't want to sync)
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby Dissident » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:47 pm

SugarSync is offering 50% off the yearly cost, so $25USD for 12 months, awesome value.
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:47 pm

all good advice but one important consideration in using online (cloud) backups is the hit to your ISP data allowance ... don't forget to factor that into the equation.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Postby Dissident » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:59 am

Most accounts are quite high on their download/upload quotas these days, not as much an issue
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:22 am

I like to keep it private. :oops:

I like to keep it safe. :D

External hard drives only for me. ;)

Can you trust a cloud 100% :shock:
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Westsider » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:13 am

What if your hard drive fails?

What if someone untoward breaks in and steals your computer and harddrives?
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dissident » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:51 pm

Dog_ger wrote:I like to keep it private. :oops:

I like to keep it safe. :D

External hard drives only for me. ;)

Can you trust a cloud 100% :shock:

Quite within your rights to do whatever you want.

Do I trust my backup solution? Definitely.
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby Dissident » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:52 pm

Westsider wrote:What if your hard drive fails?

Someone untoward ... or WESTSIDER! Just to make a point to you!

I'll bail you out ;)
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 pm

Dissident wrote:Most accounts are quite high on their download/upload quotas these days, not as much an issue

it is when your ISP relies on Telstra wholesale to deliver you a service and isn't allowed to put their own kit into the exchange ... 60GB on a 1.5Mb/256Kb plan doesn't go far these days.

I have about 30GB of critical data, so even if I use differential backups it would still take ages and chew up a reasonable chunk of data.

Bring on the NBN ...
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Postby Westsider » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Dissident wrote:
Westsider wrote:What if your hard drive fails?

Someone untoward ... or WESTSIDER! Just to make a point to you!

I'll bail you out ;)

Cheers ;)

Holden Hill Police Station at 4.30am Saturday thanks lol
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dissident » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm

dedja wrote:
Dissident wrote:Most accounts are quite high on their download/upload quotas these days, not as much an issue

it is when your ISP relies on Telstra wholesale to deliver you a service and isn't allowed to put their own kit into the exchange ... 60GB on a 1.5Mb/256Kb plan doesn't go far these days.

I have about 30GB of critical data, so even if I use differential backups it would still take ages and chew up a reasonable chunk of data.

Bring on the NBN ...

My differential backups are extremely small - most data I've backing up consists of photos, which don't change. So it's only for documents etc that I need to backup which, don't change much at all.

And, I've staggered the backup process so it doesn't pound my connection :)
Dissident
Site Admin

Postby RustyCage » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Another reason to back everything up...

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8369163/images-of-deceased-son-on-stolen-camera

A family is devastated after thieves stole a digital and video camera that contain the only images of their recently deceased son.

The thieves stole several items from the Delahey home, in Melbourne's north, on October 25.

They included the Nikon digital camera and Sony video camera containing the images of the victims' son, who died following a long battle with illness.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:52 pm

dedja wrote:
Bring on the NBN ...
My total back up package is just under 24GB and my speed is usually 6.4Mbps at my distance from the exchange. So it would take a while..
Normally I only download about 3GB a month so I only have a 10GB plan.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets