Samsung Galaxy S2

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

Samsung Galaxy S2

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Come out in the last week in Australia, looks seriously impressive and is the only thing that's made me consider to get rid of my Iphone.
Anyone got it, review?
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2

Postby Q. » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Me and my girlfriend both have Galaxys. I9000 S models.

Mines awesome. Freezes up momentarily sometimes, but other than that its all good. Theres an app that lets you create Word, Excel and Publisher files. And you can put whatever you want on it just using copy and paste on the pc, no need for the itunes hassle.

My girlfriends is playing up so have to take it to a repairer, but we just think it has something to do with the internal SD card.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby smac » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:52 pm

I'm using the I9000 as well - awesome phone. If the S2 is an improvement then I'm spewing I have only had mine for a month, the Minister for Finance and War would not like me buying another so soon.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:58 pm

The Series 2 is a very big improvement on the first one, the duel core processor makes it lightning fast, not lag, no hangups, no delay, LOTS of speed and smoothness.
It definately sounds more impressive than the HTC equiv, will make my mind up in the next couple of months whether to go Iphone again or go with this but leaning towards the Samsung.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

I preordered one with Virgin yesterday.
Does anyone know when it will be released here?
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I preordered one with Virgin yesterday.

They've already been released. Different companies are getting them at different times though.
Optus have had them for a while and Vodaphone has had them for a week or 2.
Not sure about the others.
I saw a heap in store at Harvey Norman a couple of weeks ago ready to be sold on Optus contracts.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:25 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Baron Greenback wrote:I preordered one with Virgin yesterday.

They've already been released. Different companies are getting them at different times though.
Optus have had them for a while and Vodaphone has had them for a week or 2.
Not sure about the others.
I saw a heap in store at Harvey Norman a couple of weeks ago ready to be sold on Optus contracts.

I wonder why Virgin's aren't ready yet.
That sucks!
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby toot toot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm

anyone got one? any good?
toot toot
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:05 pm

Yeah, I've had mine for almost a month. It absolutely eclipses the Iphone, the only things I could see that the Iphone would be better for were for someone who's hopeless with smartphones as its probably easier to use and its convenient because its smaller.
The Samsung Galaxy S2 has blown me away and is much better than the Iphone (and remember I had an Iphone for almost 2 years and loved it) because:
Bigger, better and clearer screen for watching media.
No Itunes, much easier and beter interface, no longer have to convert videos to view on my phone and the Samsung will automatically find codecs you need.
Sound is better.
Camera is infinately better, its 8mega pixel and actually takes better photos in poor light then my cameras!
The fact you can store stuff on a micro SD is better.
The fact you can actually change batteries around is better, you can pick spares up for about $5 online.
As a phone it is better, noise reduction is sensational, sound is better quality and I have less drop outs despite being with a worse phone company.
Apps aren't an issue, only one I haven't found that I had on my Iphone was Plants v Zombies. Having a quick scroll of the "market" (equal of the Itunes store) I can see that there perhaps isn't the same quality control of Apps that Apple has with its apps but a bit of common sense and researching what you want from an app beforehand doesn't really make this an issue.
Interface is more customisable, you can much more easily select your own ringtones, message tones, etc and all using free aps. You can use coold widgets.
RADIO, it has a radio, I can't tell you how much I use this, probably more than anything else on the phone.
Easier to type on than the Iphone as bigger and more responsive, only downside is cutting the spacebar a bit short on the right side to put a full stop in.
Reacts much quicker, but it does have a much bigger and better processor than the Iphone.
Can have several applications running at the same time!
Can view flash!
I wasn't a big fan of the browser that came with the phone but I've downloaded Opera and Firefox and am very happy with Opera (Ive used it before on a Palm).
It locked up twice in the first few days I had it, easily fixed by turning the phone on and off but a firmware update since means that hasn't happened to me since.

It chews through the battery but on about a par with my Iphone which considering the extra processing power can be expected, as mentioned before not really an issue as I was used to having several chargers with the Iphone, only bonus now being I can now carry spare batteries which are easily slotted into it if required.
Accessories I thought might be an issue as you always see so many Iphone accessories around in shops but I've actually found more stuff I needed/wanted for this phone in 1 quick browse of Ebay than I did in 2 years at looking for stuff for an Iphone and its very cheap too.

I kind of preferred the size of the Iphone (fatter but smaller) as far as sitting in my pocket (and I was happy enough with the screen for viewing movies on the bus, at work, etc) but now I've had the Samsung Galaxy S2 I doubt I could go back to the smaller poorer quality Iphone screen.

I'd give the Iphone a 8/10 and I'd give the Samsung Galaxy S2 a 9.5/10.

In short it leaves the Iphone for dead, the Iphone 5 will have to be a spectacular upgrade on the previous Iphones to compete with this. Even then, that is unlikely to happen till next year with just a patch up job of the 4 coming out later this year.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:50 pm

wedgie did you have a iphone 3 or iphone 4 if you had the 4 and the samsung has a better screen it must be pretty good as the iphone 4 does have a higher resolution then the samsung. I think the iphone4gs is going to be a pre-paid only phone ( i could be wrong) with some limits so it doesn't use huge amounts of data. I don't think we will see the 5 here this year but it will be released in the states and going by the rumors it will be next month.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:16 pm

kickinit wrote:wedgie did you have a iphone 3 or iphone 4 if you had the 4 and the samsung has a better screen it must be pretty good as the iphone 4 does have a higher resolution then the samsung. I think the iphone4gs is going to be a pre-paid only phone ( i could be wrong) with some limits so it doesn't use huge amounts of data. I don't think we will see the 5 here this year but it will be released in the states and going by the rumors it will be next month.

Sorry, should have mentioned that. I had the Iphone 3gs.
Also forgot to mention you can use the Samsung as a wireless hotspot which is an awesome facility too.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:25 pm

iPhone4 has a best resolution screen on the market and can be used as a personal wifi hotspot.

Signed,
Apple Fanboi

:D
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

This post has not been approved by Dave from Alberton.
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 384 times
Been liked: 1202 times

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm sold. Thanks Wedgie.

Was initially going to wait for the new HTC, but have heard it has a few issues.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2397 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:09 am

dedja wrote:iPhone4 has a best resolution screen on the market and can be used as a personal wifi hotspot.

Signed,
Apple Fanboi

:D

Iphone4 might be a higher res screen which is better to view things from an inch away but Ive found the Super AMOLED screen on the Samsung which IMHO makes video, photos and web pages look better from a normal viewing distance, not to mention the much bigger screen of the Samsung which displays a lot more than the Iphone does.

Anyway, if you're not sold on that issue (which I am anyway) you can refer to the other dozen areas the Samsung is a better phone in. ;)
Several Iphone users at work (both 3 and 4) are very jealous and will be making the move as soon as they can.

Signed,
Ex Apple Fanboi

http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/samsung-galaxy-s-2-vs-apple-iphone-4.html
Display

The Samsung Galaxy S 2 comes with a 4.3 inch capacitive SuperAMOLED Plus display with a resolution of 480 x 800 pixels. It is easily the best display in town, in terms of size, contrast, display quality etc. It is perfect for watching videos and movies.

The iPhone 4 comes with a 3.5 inch IPS LCD ‘Retina’ display with a resolution of 640 x 960 pixels. It is one of the best displays in the market, but loses out before the Galaxy S 2 in terms of size as well as overall quality.

Again, the Galaxy S 2 wins.

The Verdict

As you can clearly see, the iPhone 4 is now outdated. The Samsung Galaxy 2 is quite obviously the best smartphone on the market. It should be launched soon, and I expect it to be the best Android phone of 2011.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby kickinit » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:45 pm

will have to wait and see when apple release the iPhone 5 next month which is better. Just remember the iPhone 4 was released around the same time as the galaxy i900, i think it's pretty hard to compare them as the iPhone is over a year and the galaxy s2 is pretty new. But really it doesn't matter as soon as you buy something these days it's out of date the next day anyway.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Something I forgot to mention previously in relation to Samsung. Kies........sucks. It is by default, THE biggest heap of garbage going around.

I'm desperately trying to download the firmware for my phone and yet Kies doesn't even think my phone is plugged into the USB. GARBAGE!
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

I've looked at it recently - nice gadget.
But it and the iPhone are both too big to carry in my pockets.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Wedgie » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:57 am

gadj1976 wrote:Something I forgot to mention previously in relation to Samsung. Kies........sucks. It is by default, THE biggest heap of garbage going around.

I'm desperately trying to download the firmware for my phone and yet Kies doesn't even think my phone is plugged into the USB. GARBAGE!

Really?
Ive had no probs with KIES and I can tell you that Itunes is definately the biggest heap of garbage going around.
I love the fact you connect KIES via USB or use WIFI and bring up a webpage to browse files on your phone.
Also unlike an Iphone you don't even have to use KIES, just drag and drop stuff where you want.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mick » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:51 am

I've heard the new I-phone will be known as the I-Dolf it will decide who and when you call.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time

Next

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets