iPod Touch repairer ?

Computers, Gadgets, Software, Electronics, etc.

iPod Touch repairer ?

Postby lesthemechanic » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:11 am

Anyone know / recommend where I can get the kids iPod touch repaired , possibly north of Gepps Cross?
lesthemechanic
Under 18s

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 1 time

Re: iPod Touch repairer ?

Postby Dog_ger » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:17 pm

How much are you prepared to pay for a repair...?

Binnit.

Buy another.

Take it to an ipod seller and tell them your problem.

Then say, "What's the best deal you can do?"

Shop around my friend.

Go directly to apple/JB hifi/or harveys.....

Or See Westsider...??? :shock:
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:56 pm

Alternative view - NEVER buy goods that cannot be affordable repaired.
[It's bad for the environment as well as your wallet.]
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 397 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Westsider » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:40 pm

Dog_ger wrote:How much are you prepared to pay for a repair...?

Binnit.

Buy another.

Take it to an ipod seller and tell them your problem.

Then say, "What's the best deal you can do?"

Shop around my friend.

Go directly to apple/JB hifi/or harveys.....

Or See Westsider...??? :shock:

As Sam Newman would say, you idiot.

Your reply for anything that breaks is to bin it and buy a new one, regardless of the cost of repairs. Even if it's a $2000 computer and the replacement part is $100.

----

As for the OP. Depend on what version of the iPod touch it is, and what's wrong with it.

Guessing it's a cracked face. Doing a quick google search leads me to believe the going rate is $99 for a replacement.

A brand new 8GB iPod touch is $259, 32GB is $349, 64GB is $449.

You could get an older version of the iPod touch on ebay a hell of a lot cheaper. I still use a 2nd generation iPod touch at home and it works fine for music. Not so much for apps as it won't load iOS4.
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:51 pm

Ring next byte in rundle mall. They are official repairers and will know of one out your side of town.

Out of interest what's wrong with it?

I cracked the face and replaced it with one off the net for about 19 bucks.
Last edited by gadj1976 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby smac » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:59 pm

Cracked screens are dime-a-dozen for repairers, even possible to do it yourself if you buy the screen on eBay.

See here: http://electronics.shop.ebay.com.au/MP3 ... 86.c0.m282

And find one for your model, they usually have a youtube video showing how to do it as well.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby lesthemechanic » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:00 pm

It is a 4G 32GB iPod my 10 y.o. daughter owns. It is out of warranty & is frozen on a screen that I am led to believe is in recovery mode. We have tried a few remedies found on the net, but to no avail. If it was an 8 Gb I would probably bin it, but these 32GB models are a tad more expensive to replace, so if I could find a repairer it might be worth it.
I'll try next byte in the morning to see if they know of somewhere nearer to home for us. Thanks for that.
lesthemechanic
Under 18s

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:03 pm

lesthemechanic wrote:It is a 4G 32GB iPod my 10 y.o. daughter owns. It is out of warranty & is frozen on a screen that I am led to believe is in recovery mode. We have tried a few remedies found on the net, but to no avail. If it was an 8 Gb I would probably bin it, but these 32GB models are a tad more expensive to replace, so if I could find a repairer it might be worth it.

Les, what have you done to try and fix it out of interest?

I've 'unbricked' mine and in the past three days have 'unbricked' my mates ipod.

For your touch, press and hold the round menu button, then press and hold the button at the top of the unit for at least 10 seconds. It should reset itself. If it doesn't use the same process but swap which button you hold and press.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:20 pm

gadj1976
Coach

Postby Westsider » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:18 am

Have you tried to jailbreak it? Or is it jailbroken previously?
Westsider
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby lesthemechanic » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
lesthemechanic wrote:It is a 4G 32GB iPod my 10 y.o. daughter owns. It is out of warranty & is frozen on a screen that I am led to believe is in recovery mode. We have tried a few remedies found on the net, but to no avail. If it was an 8 Gb I would probably bin it, but these 32GB models are a tad more expensive to replace, so if I could find a repairer it might be worth it.

I've 'unbricked' mine and in the past three days have 'unbricked' my mates ipod.

For your touch, press and hold the round menu button, then press and hold the button at the top of the unit for at least 10 seconds. It should reset itself. If it doesn't use the same process but swap which button you hold and press.

Well, I finally got it working. Thanks for your help. I tried your method ( which I had done a few times before as I had found this remedy on the net, with no luck.)
I tried your instructions probably 6 or 7 times...no luck. Then I tried it while it was plugged into iTunes and probably the 3rd time I tried...it worked.
Thanks all for the responses, my daughter thanks you all as well.
BTW...what does jailbreaking the ipod mean/do ?, and what is unbricked? Excuse my ignorance.
Thanks again.
lesthemechanic
Under 18s

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

lesthemechanic wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Well, I finally got it working. Thanks for your help. I tried your method ( which I had done a few times before as I had found this remedy on the net, with no luck.)
I tried your instructions probably 6 or 7 times...no luck. Then I tried it while it was plugged into iTunes and probably the 3rd time I tried...it worked.
Thanks all for the responses, my daughter thanks you all as well.
BTW...what does jailbreaking the ipod mean/do ?, and what is unbricked? Excuse my ignorance.
Thanks again.

Good work Les. I was worried you'd given up hence my hasty response and PM! Forgive me if you deemed I was being pushy, I would've hated for you to ditch it, or take it in to a repairer, then they press a couple of buttons and it work - then charge you 100 bucks for your trouble.

Weird that it worked plugged into itunes.

Jailbreaking - is effectively making it useable outside of itunes. ie, you can use it as an external hard drive, uploading music/video etc, NOT through itunes.

Bricking - is the term for exactly what your daughters ipod did. When it's 'broken'/'jammed' it's effectively bricked. When you fix it, you unbrick it. You could easily call it a paperweight when it's broken, because it's effectively useless. The term brick seems to be the preferred term for some reason.

PS. I've never tried to jailbreak mine.

Cheers

gadj
gadj1976
Coach

Board index   General Talk  Technology & Gadgets