Golf equipment: sticks, balls etc. what do you use and why?

Golf equipment: sticks, balls etc. what do you use and why?

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:28 am

I'm a Ping man. G15's graphite regular flex. Foot Joy shoes and wet weather gear. Ive no idea about balls and tend to use whatever is on special but I'd love some advice. Anyway, What brands/labels do you use and why?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Re: Golf equipment: sticks, balls etc. what do you use and w

Postby valleys07 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:37 am

I got a set of Maxfli clubs and bag given to me by rellies for christmas 5+ years ago (have no idea what series of clubs)

I use callaway and precept balls. Both seem to hit well off the tee (when i actually manage to hit well :lol: )

Will probably upgrade my clubs in the next couple of years as i begin to take golf a little more seriously. Will definately watch this thread for other opinions!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:40 am

bag = geelong

clubs = adams a12OS - 4,5;6 hybrids and 7,8,9 irons
i got these clubs on the basis they are designed for mid-high handicappers and I want to get some consistency in my game. so far so good.
My driver is from my previous set and really need to upgrade.

Balls = just started with srixon q star balls and on my first round at pat nth course knocked 4-5 shots off what had been my average. again these balls designed for mid-high handicap and amount of dimples are there to reduce side spin off the tee.

Tees- with the driver generally go with a brush tee

shoes - callaway shoe
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:41 am

Taylor Made/Addidas fan here....

R11 driver, fairway and rescue. Burner 1.0 irons, 56 degree wedge and only my 52 and putter not Taylor Made.

Had a club fit for the irons and they are what the computer said. Bought the R11 stuff to match.

Have a pair of Niblick shoes that are about to fall apart so used a prize voucher to purchase some addidas ones :lol:

Currently use Srixon Soft Feel ball. No idea why just bought one and liked it, then purchased 12 dozen of them from the US.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:bag = geelong

clubs = adams a12OS - 4,5;6 hybrids and 7,8,9 irons
i got these clubs on the basis they are designed for mid-high handicappers and I want to get some consistency in my game. so far so good.
My driver is from my previous set and really need to upgrade.

Balls = just started with srixon q star balls and on my first round at pat nth course knocked 4-5 shots off what had been my average. again these balls designed for mid-high handicap and amount of dimples are there to reduce side spin off the tee.

Tees- with the driver generally go with a brush tee

shoes - callaway shoe

Adams make the best hybrid/rescues hands down. I ordered one from Golf World on North Terrace back in May and am still waiting! If ever any of you guys go in there please ask them if they have an Adams A12 OS No.4 Graphite senior flex hybrid in stock?
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 pm

oh dear, i ordered my set from ebay and delivered inside 12 workin days
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:13 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:oh dear, i ordered my set from ebay and delivered inside 12 workin days

Yeah, and retail in general complains about being dudded by people who shop online. I bought my set through eBay
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:02 pm

I have a bit of a mixed bag ATM

Use taylormade R9 irons, stiff steel shafts. 4-SW
Have a cleveland cg16 60 iron
bought a taylormade TP 52 deg gap wedge (the one with the replaceable faceplate)
Use a odysey 2 ball putter.
Have taylormade R11 Rescue 4 in stiff shaft.
Driver I use is a Wilson Staff spine, have just ordered a new Calaway Razr black with Xtra stiff shaft (this was what the Callway guy said to use after a 1hr fitting)

Currently have a Powerbilt bag but want to buy a new 1 soon. Just waiting for a special to get one cheap as the bag wont make me play any better.

Shoes, I had a pair of adidas tour 360's I found they were a bit heavy for a shoe so just got myself a pair of footjoy FJ Sport's that they had on special in the pro shop, I have found these much more comfortable.

Balls I change a bit, Find the Srixon Q Stars are value for money. Golfworld on west tce has Z stars for $30 a dozen and they are a quality ball, so using them at the moment. Also like the Callaway Diablo tour balls good, and the Taylormade TP5 seem to go alright and can usually get them for a reasonable price.

Clothes are whatever, adidas shirts are nice and I recently bought a Nike Stormsuit for wet weather which works a treat.
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:17 pm

Iron Fist wrote:I have a bit of a mixed bag ATM

bought a taylormade TP 52 deg gap wedge (the one with the replaceable faceplate)
Driver I use is a Wilson Staff spine, have just ordered a new Calaway Razr black with Xtra stiff shaft (this was what the Callway guy said to use after a 1hr fitting)

Currently have a Powerbilt bag but want to buy a new 1 soon. Just waiting for a special to get one cheap as the bag wont make me play any better.

Shoes, I had a pair of adidas tour 360's I found they were a bit heavy for a shoe so just got myself a pair of footjoy FJ Sport's that they had on special in the pro shop, I have found these much more comfortable.

Balls I change a bit, Find the Srixon Q Stars are value for money. Golfworld on west tce has Z stars for $30 a dozen and they are a quality ball, so using them at the moment. Also like the Callaway Diablo tour balls good, and the Taylormade TP5 seem to go alright and can usually get them for a reasonable price.

Clothes are whatever, adidas shirts are nice and I recently bought a Nike Stormsuit for wet weather which works a treat.

Stiff shafts - you must be a young guy who can generate impressive club head speed? How I envy you...
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:

Stiff shafts - you must be a young guy who can generate impressive club head speed? How I envy you...

haha yeah am young. went out on the fitout machine 2 weeks ago and generate club head speeds of upto 112mph.
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Iron Fist wrote:
Sky Pilot wrote:

haha yeah am young. went out on the fitout machine 2 weeks ago and generate club head speeds of upto 112mph.

Awesome mate! Good onyer
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:33 pm

Three dozen Calloway HX Hot balls for sale on eBay for $59.99 no postage. Anyone have experience with these?
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby footys the winner » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:58 pm

Massive Nike fan here. Got these clubs about 6 months ago and haven't looked back.

Nike str8 VR driver 10.5 loft.

Nike 2 & 3 rescue

Nike pro cav irons. Graphite shafts. 4-AW

Cleveland 54 & 60 deg wedges.

Balls - nike pd soft.
footys the winner
Under 18s

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 pm

just got a cobra amp offset driver and an adams golf - tom watson performance grind lob wedge 60"

for $246 delivered

drummond wanted $229 alone for the driver!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Iron Fist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:16 pm

heater31 wrote:Taylor Made/Addidas fan here....

R11 driver, fairway and rescue. Burner 1.0 irons, 56 degree wedge and only my 52 and putter not Taylor Made.

Had a club fit for the irons and they are what the computer said. Bought the R11 stuff to match.

Have a pair of Niblick shoes that are about to fall apart so used a prize voucher to purchase some addidas ones :lol:

Currently use Srixon Soft Feel ball. No idea why just bought one and liked it, then purchased 12 dozen of them from the US.

you can get 2 dozen of the soft feels from golf world on west tce for $30 atm if you like them heater.
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:28 pm

Iron Fist wrote:

you can get 2 dozen of the soft feels from golf world on west tce for $30 atm if you like them heater.

Lost another bloody ball off the tee on the 9th yesterday. Scrubbed the hole and on the 10th found a Q Star in the bag (which I had rescued from the water) thinking of changing to them now....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Iron Fist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:52 pm

heater31 wrote:
Iron Fist wrote:

Lost another bloody ball off the tee on the 9th yesterday. Scrubbed the hole and on the 10th found a Q Star in the bag (which I had rescued from the water) thinking of changing to them now....

give the Z stars a crack, for the price at the moment they are great value for money. Otherwise Q stars are good, that's what I was using before the Z star price plummeted.
Iron Fist
Veteran

Postby Sky Pilot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:29 pm

I've just landed three dozen Calloway Warbirds brand new in boxes for $60.40 off eBay. Will hit the first one this Thursday.
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Postby the big bang » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 pm

need a couple tips lads. currently, i'm a 3-5 times a year hack that will head out on a weekend with a couple mates when theres nothing else to do. the last couple times i've been out, i've found myself enjoying it more and more, and taking it a little more serious (along with getting more upset at some of the utter carp i produce). I'm going to try get out a lot more often, at least once a month from now on. I've never had any form of training, but am positive i need it, and will be looking into it real soon.

my first (and biggest) problem is I'm a huge slicer of the ball, particulary off the tee. obviously i'm no expert, but just my simple knowledge of physics tells me that this is probably caused by my clubface coming down on the ball towards my body upon impact. this is a habit i have never been able to break myself out of with no help. it's huge. if i'm teeing off on a dead straight fairway, i'll turn and aim probably 30-40 degrees off to the right (i'm a leftie), with a great deal of confidence that the ball will slice back out and head back toward the fairway. i wouldn't mind being able to correct this problem at least a little bit before heading in for some assistance.

any tips fellas?
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:44 am

the best tips from forums are to go and get club-fitted and possibly even lessons. no need to spend a huge amount on a set.

Ive been hitting a ball for 25yrs and playing on courses for around 15yrs and never had lessons although i possibly need them also.
Ive just got a set of adams a12os clubs which include 3 hybrids. ive had more consistence with these as opposed to the normal long irons.

the driver i ordered today has a draw bias, is very forgiving (allegedly - will find out when it arrives).
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf