Golf equipment: sticks, balls etc. what do you use and why?

Re: Golf equipment: sticks, balls etc. what do you use and w

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:26 am

Google Revolution Golf it will have all the help you need plus other crap that you don't :lol:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:43 am

the big bang wrote:need a couple tips lads. currently, i'm a 3-5 times a year hack that will head out on a weekend with a couple mates when theres nothing else to do. the last couple times i've been out, i've found myself enjoying it more and more, and taking it a little more serious (along with getting more upset at some of the utter carp i produce). I'm going to try get out a lot more often, at least once a month from now on. I've never had any form of training, but am positive i need it, and will be looking into it real soon.

my first (and biggest) problem is I'm a huge slicer of the ball, particulary off the tee. obviously i'm no expert, but just my simple knowledge of physics tells me that this is probably caused by my clubface coming down on the ball towards my body upon impact. this is a habit i have never been able to break myself out of with no help. it's huge. if i'm teeing off on a dead straight fairway, i'll turn and aim probably 30-40 degrees off to the right (i'm a leftie), with a great deal of confidence that the ball will slice back out and head back toward the fairway. i wouldn't mind being able to correct this problem at least a little bit before heading in for some assistance.

any tips fellas?

You have opened a can of worms here banger. Slicing off the tee is common but it can be arrested fairly effectively with a bit of work. Try teeing the ball up off your front foot, keep your right leg straight during the downswing, get rid of any hand and wrist movement and make sure your belt buckle is aiming for the target at the end of your swing. Sort that out and then you can start on shoulder movement, head movement, club head speed and talking to your analyst about depression!
Good luck
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby the big bang » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:59 am

Sky Pilot wrote:
the big bang wrote:need a couple tips lads. currently, i'm a 3-5 times a year hack that will head out on a weekend with a couple mates when theres nothing else to do. the last couple times i've been out, i've found myself enjoying it more and more, and taking it a little more serious (along with getting more upset at some of the utter carp i produce). I'm going to try get out a lot more often, at least once a month from now on. I've never had any form of training, but am positive i need it, and will be looking into it real soon.

my first (and biggest) problem is I'm a huge slicer of the ball, particulary off the tee. obviously i'm no expert, but just my simple knowledge of physics tells me that this is probably caused by my clubface coming down on the ball towards my body upon impact. this is a habit i have never been able to break myself out of with no help. it's huge. if i'm teeing off on a dead straight fairway, i'll turn and aim probably 30-40 degrees off to the right (i'm a leftie), with a great deal of confidence that the ball will slice back out and head back toward the fairway. i wouldn't mind being able to correct this problem at least a little bit before heading in for some assistance.

any tips fellas?

You have opened a can of worms here banger. Slicing off the tee is common but it can be arrested fairly effectively with a bit of work. Try teeing the ball up off your front foot, keep your right leg straight during the downswing, get rid of any hand and wrist movement and make sure your belt buckle is aiming for the target at the end of your swing. Sort that out and then you can start on shoulder movement, head movement, club head speed and talking to your analyst about depression!
Good luck

thanks mate. guna try head out for a swing today and will take this advice with me.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Iron Fist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:15 am

I reckon lessons are the way to go.
The biggest problem I have found with golfers like ourself is that our swing changes from shot to shot.

I will be investing in some lessons after the new year when I have a bit more time.
They aint cheap though and alot of the time you need to be preapred to go backwards to get better.
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby David Brent » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm

How much is it worth spending on a putter?

Im just a casual golfer but my putter is terrible & when I use a decent one im a 5 better shot player a round at least.

Our second hand putters the way to go?
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:31 pm

David Brent wrote:How much is it worth spending on a putter?

Im just a casual golfer but my putter is terrible & when I use a decent one im a 5 better shot player a round at least.

Our second hand putters the way to go?

Can you justify the cost? Top of the range ones can cost as much as your driver :shock:

The one I have was worth $120 brand new 15 years ago. My sister won it in a raffle and it probably sat around the house for 12 years before I took up golf seriously again and began using it.
heater31

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 pm

Mate, putters are about what's going on in your head at the time of the back swing. You can pick them up cheap on eBay, like $50 or whatever. Golf shops nearly always have a little putting area where you can grab a handful of putters off the rack and stab a few balls around until you find one you like. You can either bargain for a price and buy it, or go look it up on eBay and see what you get it for. Brands to look for (to impress everyone at least) are Ping or Scotty Cameron.
I wouldn't pay more than $145.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 am

for my most recent purchase i used rockbottomgolf

ordered monday expected delivery next monday which im satisfied with
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Sturtman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:26 am

Hi guys, has anyone ever bought gear from this website http://www.augolftown.com. Am after some new irons and the prices on this site seem way too good to be true. Was looking at the mizuno mp 69 and the price is under half of what it is in shops and other sites which makes me quite sceptical
I'm number 1, so why try harder!!
Sturtman
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 4 times
Grassroots Team: Wisanger

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:39 am

Sturtman wrote:Hi guys, has anyone ever bought gear from this website http://www.augolftown.com. Am after some new irons and the prices on this site seem way too good to be true. Was looking at the mizuno mp 69 and the price is under half of what it is in shops and other sites which makes me quite sceptical

Don't touch it! Fakes galore.

Check out the email address they use a gmail account.

I was sucked in almost 12 months ago by a similar site. Found it weird that they only accepted visa cards. I ordered one night and woke up the next morning with cold feet. Lucky my visa is a debit so I drained all the cash out of it so the payment would be rejected, sent them am email sob story how I just got a large unexpected financial commitment and would have to cancel. Sent back correspondence that they would cancel no questions asked.
heater31

Postby piccachu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 am

Drive : Wilson Staff Spine (stiff shaft)
Rescue : Tayor made Burner (stiff shaft)
Irons : 4-GW wilson staff Di11 (stiff shaft)
Edges : 56 & 60 degree Cleveland CG16
Putter : Wilson staff mallet design
Balls : previously was using Titleist NXT tours but have recently started using ProV1s
Shoes : adidas 360 (white & orange)
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Sturtman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:46 am

heater31 wrote:
Sturtman wrote:Hi guys, has anyone ever bought gear from this website http://www.augolftown.com. Am after some new irons and the prices on this site seem way too good to be true. Was looking at the mizuno mp 69 and the price is under half of what it is in shops and other sites which makes me quite sceptical

Don't touch it! Fakes galore.

Check out the email address they use a gmail account.

I was sucked in almost 12 months ago by a similar site. Found it weird that they only accepted visa cards. I ordered one night and woke up the next morning with cold feet. Lucky my visa is a debit so I drained all the cash out of it so the payment would be rejected, sent them am email sob story how I just got a large unexpected financial commitment and would have to cancel. Sent back correspondence that they would cancel no questions asked.

Thanks. Thought it was way too good to be true and they were really selling to pay by western union or credit card so seemed slightly dodgey.
Sturtman
Reserves

Postby Sturtman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:49 am

Driver: taylormade r11
Fairway: taylormade r11 3 wood
Irons: bridgeston j36 pocket cavity
Mizuno gap wedge
Cleveland rusty sand iron
Cheap arse putter
Taylormade r11 bag
Prossimon one button fold buggy
Puma shoes
Taylormade penta or srixon z star balls
Sturtman
Reserves

Postby Sturtman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 am

piccachu wrote:Drive : Wilson Staff Spine (stiff shaft)
Rescue : Tayor made Burner (stiff shaft)
Irons : 4-GW wilson staff Di11 (stiff shaft)
Edges : 56 & 60 degree Cleveland CG16
Putter : Wilson staff mallet design
Balls : previously was using Titleist NXT tours but have recently started using ProV1s
Shoes : adidas 360 (white & orange)

Pro v1 are way too good for you piccapoo. !!
Sturtman
Reserves

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 am

I use the following:
Driver - Callaway FTi 9deg Neutral - Bought from callawayused.com in amarica for about $200 including postage.
Woods and Irons - Not sure on brand, bought second hand from cousin. Needs upgrading (Christmas)
Putter - Wilson Staff
Balls - At the moment Srixon Soft Feel
Clothes - usually shorts and a polo shirt
Shoes - Asics Gel Kayano

Happy with my set up at the minute for a hack, usually about 90 off the stick, however I will be looking to spend my Christmas money on some new irons.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby piccachu » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:05 am

when you finally grow a pair of ProV1s to take me on (like you have been threatening to do for years) then we will see if im fit to use them ;)
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Sturtman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:02 pm

piccachu wrote:

when you finally grow a pair of ProV1s to take me on (like you have been threatening to do for years) then we will see if im fit to use them ;)

Tee it up with fisty. At west lakes. Im free most days so let me know.
Sturtman
Reserves

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Sturtman wrote:
piccachu wrote:

At West Lakes hey? Given the description of the equipment you use I'm fairly certain that we have crossed fairways searching for our respective balls.....
heater31

Postby Sturtman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:22 pm

heater31 wrote:
Sturtman wrote:
piccachu wrote:

At West Lakes hey? Given the description of the equipment you use I'm fairly certain that we have crossed fairways searching for our respective balls.....

Ha ha. I cross many fairways looking for my ball.
Sturtman
Reserves

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:39 pm

Sturtman wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Sturtman wrote:
piccachu wrote:when you finally grow a pair of ProV1s to take me on (like you have been threatening to do for years) then we will see if im fit to use them ;)

Ha ha. I cross many fairways looking for my ball.

doesnt everyone at West lakes

As for seeing who is better, I would say Sturtman is but Im happy to arrange a hit for you to prove us wrong Piccachu..
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Other Sports  Golf