Dogs

Anything!

Dogs

Postby MW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:20 pm

On the hunt for a family dog. Ideally mid-large sized, placid, great with kids and able to entertain itself for 8 hours a day until I get home.

Missus wants a Ridgeback, but they seem too big and strong. I was thinking Lab but have been told they hate being outside by themselves during the day.

Any suggestions?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2640 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Re: Dogs

Postby GWW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Golden Retriever perhaps.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Say goodbye to your garden if you get a Lab.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby mickey » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:20 pm

Boxer
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Collies are great with kids. Very loyal and obedient. Like all dogs, you need to train them and set down behavioural expectations.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:59 pm

MW wrote:On the hunt for a family dog. Ideally mid-large sized, placid, great with kids and able to entertain itself for 8 hours a day until I get home.

No such thing, next..... ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1744 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby Stumps » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:24 pm

cracka wrote:Say goodbye to your garden if you get a Lab.

This is true. First 2 years they are crazy and do dig alot. after that period of time though they are amzing dogs. My lab is outside 8am-5pm everyday and has not caused one problem from the age of 2 until now (he is 10) he will bark once very loudly when someone walks past which is a good security thing, but as a rule doesnt bark, doesnt cry, and is a v happy dog. we have kids and he is absolutely beautiful with them
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:30 pm

I have a lab and i disagree with this. I can leave shoes outside during the day and he wont touch them at all, and has dug maybe 1 hole in his life, and thats when we gave him a bone that was so huge he could hardly pick it up.

Having said that, I think my Lab may be in the minority.

Best dog though.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Stumps wrote:

This is true. First 2 years they are crazy and do dig alot. after that period of time though they are amzing dogs. My lab is outside 8am-5pm everyday and has not caused one problem from the age of 2 until now (he is 10) he will bark once very loudly when someone walks past which is a good security thing, but as a rule doesnt bark, doesnt cry, and is a v happy dog. we have kids and he is absolutely beautiful with them

Agree with the barking - Only if someone parks out the front of our house or comes to the door.

Also sometimes barks when the dog behind our house does, but that is rare.

One thing i would say is you really really have to put time into training them, as an unruly lab would be terrible imo
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:35 pm

I have a Weimaraner. Very placid, easily entertained and great with my little fella.
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:36 pm

Stumps wrote:

Yeah, probably should have added they are fantastic dogs to have & great with the kids. We also have a boxer x bull terrier that is awesome, can be grumpy/unsociable if he doesn't get his afternoon nap or if there's too many people over for dinner & it's past his bedtime but other than that he loves people, not so much other dogs though.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby MatteeG » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Greyhound. End of Thread. Awesome dogs.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:03 pm

go to the pound...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3039 times
Been liked: 2407 times

Postby Pag » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:04 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Stumps wrote:

Agree with the barking - Only if someone parks out the front of our house or comes to the door.

Also sometimes barks when the dog behind our house does, but that is rare.

One thing i would say is you really really have to put time into training them, as an unruly lab would be terrible imo

Will third this, our Lab was a pain til she was probably 18months-2 years, but being consistent with behaviour for that whole time eventually turns them into beauties. We leave our girl outside all day and she has no problems, barks at doorknockers all day, has a walk in the arvo and lays on her bed in the lounge room at night. Perfection.
Last edited by Pag on Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Yep the only reason I have to tell my lab off for getting off his bed at night time is when he tries to come and sit on the rug next to the couch. Or on the couch haha. But just wants a cuddle
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Missus is against a lab cause of the early behavioural issues but I agree with any dog you need to put the time in to train them. Argh hard decision.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2640 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby helicopterking » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:29 pm

A Samoyed. Very Hypoallergenic. A fair bit work in regards to grooming, but a very family orientated dog and kids absolutely love them. As do I.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:26 pm

Border collie no doubt!
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby nuggety goodness » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:43 pm

helicopterking wrote:A Samoyed. Very Hypoallergenic. A fair bit work in regards to grooming, but a very family orientated dog and kids absolutely love them. As do I.

I have an Akita and like the samoyed is a lot of work grooming wise but is super loyal and intelligent. Great with the 2 littlies and is very protective. Only time he barks is when someone comes to the door, is otherwise silent. Doesn't need much attention and they arent super active like a collie or the like. Yogi weighs in at about 50-55kgs which is apparently about average, you can get some monsters which grow up atound the 80kg mark but i haven't seen any that big. Watch 'hachiko' to see a great story on this breed.
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby JK » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:51 pm

MW wrote:On the hunt for a family dog. Ideally mid-large sized, placid, great with kids and able to entertain itself for 8 hours a day until I get home.

Missus wants a Ridgeback, but they seem too big and strong. I was thinking Lab but have been told they hate being outside by themselves during the day.

Any suggestions?

Ridgeys are beautiful Dogs mate, had one as a kid and she was always my favourite (until I bought my own Mastif - Another beautiful dog, but fair to say he was on the large side).

They have wonderful temperaments, are fiercely protective of family, and brilliantly natured. Probably require a bit of exercise though.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion