SA Bushfires

Anything!

Re: SA Bushfires

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Yes, there's a possibility of crap getting into the reservoirs but that shouldn't cause a huge issue for the water treatment plants at Anstey Hill (supplied by Millbrook) and Barossa (supplied from the Barossa - whispering Wall and South Para).

Anyway, we had a small scare when the fire got to Cudlee Creek so we starting planning a evacuation. Tragic loss for so many people in areas not far away and where I travel frequently.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:49 pm

Glad to hear ur alright,

Personally evacuation is the only option, lives can never be replaced
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:56 pm

Once again a fantastic job done by the CFS/MFS and other Emergency Services.

CFS are low on numbers so anyone that is fit and willing, go along and join, you will make a difference.

Also about time a number of their fleet were retired and replaced, know they were working in extreme conditions yesterday but listening on the CFS radio a number had to be put out of service due to mechanical problems etc
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3755 times
Been liked: 1178 times

Postby heater31 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:03 pm

locky801 wrote:Once again a fantastic job done by the CFS/MFS and other Emergency Services.

CFS are low on numbers so anyone that is fit and willing, go along and join, you will make a difference.

Also about time a number of their fleet were retired and replaced, know they were working in extreme conditions yesterday but listening on the CFS radio a number had to be put out of service due to mechanical problems etc

Maybe the Emergency Services Levy will actually be spent on what it is intended for.....New fire fighting appliances and associated equipment!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:12 pm

dedja wrote:Yes, there's a possibility of crap getting into the reservoirs but that shouldn't cause a huge issue for the water treatment plants at Anstey Hill (supplied by Millbrook) and Barossa (supplied from the Barossa - whispering Wall and South Para).

Anyway, we had a small scare when the fire got to Cudlee Creek so we starting planning a evacuation. Tragic loss for so many people in areas not far away and where I travel frequently.

When I saw they'd closed Gorge Road I wondered whether you'd been sent a SMS...
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Smoke coming through Munno para west is so bad at the moment, barely able to drive due to visability, also being a non smoker really struggling to breathe
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
dedja wrote:Yes, there's a possibility of crap getting into the reservoirs but that shouldn't cause a huge issue for the water treatment plants at Anstey Hill (supplied by Millbrook) and Barossa (supplied from the Barossa - whispering Wall and South Para).

When I saw they'd closed Gorge Road I wondered whether you'd been sent a SMS...

Yes, we received an sms.
dedja
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:31 pm

heater31 wrote:
locky801 wrote:Once again a fantastic job done by the CFS/MFS and other Emergency Services.

Maybe the Emergency Services Levy will actually be spent on what it is intended for.....New fire fighting appliances and associated equipment!

I thought that's what the ESL was for too - so each brigade didn't have to rely on their own fund raising committees and it would allow for brigades to be equipped better and more evenly, no good rocking up to a big fire if one brigade has everything new and shiny and the others old and decrepit.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby dedja » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:36 pm

Yes, it is extremely hypocritical for the Premier to be so visible during these bushfires but at the same time, have no issue with using ESL funds to prop up general revenue when the dollars are much needed for the intended recipients of the funding.

If all the funding went to emergency services then I'd imagine most people would understand and accept it, especially after the events of the last couple of days.
dedja
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:38 pm

whufc wrote:Don't know if this is true or possible

But a guy at work today was saying that the sheer amount of water they are having to use because of the size of the fire will most likely mean we will have to go back to having water restrictions

Not that it bothers me but is that even possible, or would that be another one of the fairies get thrown around when something like this happens

not an engineer so may be way off, but could it a water pressure issue and they're asking people not to use water excessively/unnecessarily just temporarily?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:52 pm

Just start the desal plant
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Psyber » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:04 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/25894387 ... -sa-blaze/

I'm about 900 metres closer to the nearest mildly threatened town than Jamie - that is one that has had the odd ember fall - and I haven't even smelled smoke as the wind if generally flowing the other way. So the article is a bit of typical Yahoo7 fuss about nothing.

However, the reasoning is sound - insure well and be prepared to go...

If it had started to come in this direction I'd have checked the maps and then decided which way to leave.
But, for now, I think the far eastern and North-eastern suburbs are at more risk than either of us.

However, I'm off the Brissie tomorrow, and so I'll just hope my house is still here when I get back.
(And stay with friends while I sort out the insurance if it is not.)
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Pseudo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:16 pm

But a guy at work today was saying that the sheer amount of water they are having to use because of the size of the fire will most likely mean we will have to go back to having water restrictions

Not that it bothers me but is that even possible, or would that be another one of the fairies get thrown around when something like this happens

Surely the brand spanking new desalination plant will be taken out of mothballs to spare us further water restrictions?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby tipper » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:14 am

Pseudo wrote:

Surely the brand spanking new desalination plant will be taken out of mothballs to spare us further water restrictions?

particularly as we are already paying for the water it is NOT generating anyway.......
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

SA Bushfires

Postby RustyCage » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:27 am

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420419462.362112.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420419462.362112.jpg (110.87 KiB) Viewed 794 times

That's pretty damn good work!
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 am

Yep they did a superb job of asset protection given the scope of the fire.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Bully » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:03 pm

have they 100% confirmed it was from the idiot using the incinerator ?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby carey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:17 pm

Bully wrote:have they 100% confirmed it was from the idiot using the incinerator ?

No.

Highly likely but can not be proven. A shame really, No one will be held accountable for such a mess.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Keefy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:37 pm

Bully wrote:have they 100% confirmed it was from the idiot using the incinerator ?

The bloke denied but they seem to have pinpointed where it started
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 182 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby saintal » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 am

Well it looks as though the fire has been more or less contained now. Many thanks to all the volunteers and thoughts are with those who lost property and/or animals.

My wife's parents at Humbug Scrub can consider themselves lucky, given the vicinity around their property has been torched and a few houses were lost nearby. A scary few days for them though before CFS managed to provide assistance. A few people I know from Cudlee Creek came out of it relatively unscathed despite being in the thick of it.

As a keen hiker I've walked the heysen trail from Montacute through to Williamstown, the trail running through many of the areas burnt. A lot of scenic countryside and wildlife has been ravaged unfortunately.

On a sombre note a mate of mine was in his car at Cudlee Creek when a tree collapsed on it earlier in the week. Neck/spinal and possible head injuries. Not good.

Lastly apparently some dropkick was casing vehicles in our street on Saturday after the majority of people had evacuated. Its good having an alert neighbour. While these types of situations bring out the best in 99% of people, the worst comes out in others.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 431 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion