Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:47 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
HH3 wrote:Taking the Mrs to Benjamin on Franklin tonight for tea.

Stay posted for the review.

Anyone else been there?

Not been there but

It's in the book and just up the road from a site we look after and I am keen to check it out so look forward to your review

I told a lady at work I wanted to take the Mrs out to tea tonight, so she raced to her car and grabbed her Ent book. She said take anything you want as long as she didnt want it.

I flicked through. Saw this place I'd never heard of. Checked the website. It fits the Mrs to a T, so thats where we're going.

If its as good as it looks and the menu looks, I think it'll be a winner.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:50 pm

Benjamin on Franklin

First of all, the decor is very old school. Like 1800's old school. Which is what we enjoy.

The waitress was nice and told us the specials, all i heard was "blah blah blah with a cranberry jus" three times. She spoke very well. I just didnt understand any of the things she was talking about.

I got a Sailor Jerrys and Coke with lime, and got the missus a Black Mojito. Both very nice.

We skipped starters and went straight to mains, because we always make the mistake of filling up too quickly. I have a small tummy.

Everything on the menu sounds fancy, but there are heaps of options under $20, and the most expensive dish is $32. Very reasonable.

I got the kangaroo with a vanilla and parsip puree, with spinach and beetroot. This was the best meal Ive eaten this year i reckon. The kangaroo was cooked perfectly. The puree surprised me. I was a bit iffy on ordering it because of that, but im very happy i stuck with it. Beetroot and spinach added great flavours as well.

The missus got the S & P squid. It had a very different salad to anything ive seen before. Lots of spring onion, corry, etc and not much else. It also had peanuts. She wasnt a fan of the salad, but thats more of a taste thing, and not a knock on the place. I had a bit of the squid and it was very good. Not that fake tasting crap you get at most pubs. Not overseasoned either, which i find is a huge problem with pub squid.

I got a half serve of duck fat spuds to share as well. Awesome!

All up it was $81.50, and with the Ent coupon, just over $60.

We'll go back. It really does feel a bit fancy, but the prices are on par with most suburban pubs.

9.5/10
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:11 pm

HH3 wrote:Benjamin on Franklin

First of all, the decor is very old school. Like 1800's old school. Which is what we enjoy.

The waitress was nice and told us the specials, all i heard was "blah blah blah with a cranberry jus" three times. She spoke very well. I just didnt understand any of the things she was talking about.

I got a Sailor Jerrys and Coke with lime, and got the missus a Black Mojito. Both very nice.

We skipped starters and went straight to mains, because we always make the mistake of filling up too quickly. I have a small tummy.

Everything on the menu sounds fancy, but there are heaps of options under $20, and the most expensive dish is $32. Very reasonable.

I got the kangaroo with a vanilla and parsip puree, with spinach and beetroot. This was the best meal Ive eaten this year i reckon. The kangaroo was cooked perfectly. The puree surprised me. I was a bit iffy on ordering it because of that, but im very happy i stuck with it. Beetroot and spinach added great flavours as well.

The missus got the S & P squid. It had a very different salad to anything ive seen before. Lots of spring onion, corry, etc and not much else. It also had peanuts. She wasnt a fan of the salad, but thats more of a taste thing, and not a knock on the place. I had a bit of the squid and it was very good. Not that fake tasting crap you get at most pubs. Not overseasoned either, which i find is a huge problem with pub squid.

I got a half serve of duck fat spuds to share as well. Awesome!

All up it was $81.50, and with the Ent coupon, just over $60.

We'll go back. It really does feel a bit fancy, but the prices are on par with most suburban pubs.

9.5/10

Great review except the cranberry jus visual :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:41 pm

Good work HH3

I seen this in the book last year and the menu in book and on their site looked good but just haven't got their yet......

Will be now before this book runs out
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11868 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:56 am

Page 3 of today's Mail

Someone wrote a review about a pizza joint to which the owner took offence too and wants to take legal action....

Pleez....

Everyone place has their good and bad days....I certainly won't be rushing for a pizza at Etica
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:13 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Page 3 of today's Mail

Someone wrote a review about a pizza joint to which the owner took offence too and wants to take legal action....

Pleez....

Everyone place has their good and bad days....I certainly won't be rushing for a pizza at Etica

Sooky sooky lala. Chuck him on our list MT.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:02 pm

On holidays so I took the wife and the newborn for our first lunch excursion together. Fair to say I was pretty happy about it and skipped breakfast to give the experience every chance. Wifey chose the Oakden, which is a 2 for 1 in the ent book and I hadn't been there since I lived in Greenacres in 2012.

As we entered a sign on the door said something along the lines of "We are not honouring the 2 for 1 but will give you 25% off". Seems somewhat illegal or false advertising or at least poor form but wasn't really that fussed. It was our first luncheon together and I was hungry.

Upon entry there was 5 people in the very large venue at 12.45. The venue has been renovated since last visit, looks good, has nice decor, is spacious, had decent non intrusive background music, looked really clean and was visually stimulating. The staff greeted us and were friendly and nice.

We ended up ordering from the Specials menu as I wanted fish and Mrs had not had Pepperoni since January when we found out my boys are swimmers. $12 each but they would not except the voucher as it wasn't from the regular menu. Any other clauses chief :roll: I didn't invent the bloody order it from your menu board but again wasn't bothered as $24 for lunch is very good if it's a nice meal.

There is no salad or veg bar but they did bring us a piece of bread and room temp butter. The meals came and presentation was excellent. My salad had its own bowl so it didn't sog the fish and the pizza looked large. We were pretty happy and I started on my chips which were perfect. When the misses got that first piece of pepperoni in her I realised she may have faked for me at times when my performance was below par :)

After she had a couple of pieces it became more obvious she was basically eating pepperoni on a pita. It was alright but a child could have made it. My fish was basically a ball of batter. Not sure where the fish started and the batter ended. Mrs had my salad and said it was good and I ate half her pizza. By the time we left they had their 8 and 9th customer at close to 2pm.

Unfortunately this venue is not quite doing it right. I can't really recommend it as the food is OK but certainly not great. Perhaps other dishes may be done better and maybe they don't try hard on the specials but a good chef takes pride in anything that comes out of his kitchen IMO.

We had a nice day but couldn't really give it more than a 5.5/10. Don't join the ent book if you are not going to honour coupons and if you get. A total of 9 patrons for the entire lunch period you are probably doing something wrong. Would not recommend.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:17 pm

"We are not honouring 2 for 1 ??????"
WTF - pretty sure they can't do that.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5495 times
Been liked: 5137 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Spargo wrote:"We are not honouring 2 for 1 ??????"
WTF - pretty sure they can't do that.

It was very odd and I could tell the lady was uncomfortable saying it so I didn't make a big deal of it but in the end to not even give the 25% was even more vexing. Certainly won't be returning anytime soon.

Venue has huge potential but has never delivered. I lived in Greenacres for 10 years and it was always inferior to the OG, Windsor, Payneham Tav, Highlander, Buckingham and others in the nearby area. Very much on par with the Enfield as a place I would not recommend.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:45 am

Provide feedback via their Facebook page, that should provide you with an explanation of why they are not honouring the 2 for 1 deal
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:53 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Provide feedback via their Facebook page, that should provide you with an explanation of why they are not honouring the 2 for 1 deal

Perhaps I would if I intended going back but with so much quality competition in the area I wont be returning.

Next on the list is the Hackney. Flying my Mum in to meet her Granddaughter today and doing a group dinner there this Thursday. I'm paying for everyone so it better be bloody good :)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:20 am

Boss is taking me out for lunch, might head to Bad Boy Burger bar on Grange Road. Review to come...
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 am

wristwatcher wrote:When the misses got that first piece of pepperoni in her I realised she may have faked for me at times when my performance was below par :)

I explained your review to Mrs JK, then read the above and she cracked up. In such a way that I now have the same concerns as your good self! :-k

Cracker of a review mate, BS about the entertainment book thing
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:22 am

JK wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:When the misses got that first piece of pepperoni in her I realised she may have faked for me at times when my performance was below par :)

I explained your review to Mrs JK, then read the above and she cracked up. In such a way that I now have the same concerns as your good self! :-k

I guess the size of the pepperoni really is important....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10795 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:25 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

So much for the "how well you hide it" crap :?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4462 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 am

JK wrote:

Haha thanks mate.

I nearly told them that I review for 7 peoples benefit and that they were making a very poor business decision but took the high ground.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:14 am

wristwatcher wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Provide feedback via their Facebook page, that should provide you with an explanation of why they are not honouring the 2 for 1 deal

Perhaps I would if I intended going back but with so much quality competition in the area I wont be returning.

Next on the list is the Hackney. Flying my Mum in to meet her Granddaughter today and doing a group dinner there this Thursday. I'm paying for everyone so it better be bloody good :)

Sometimes constructive criticism is good for them to improve and I know you won't go back but hopefully others don't suffer your ordeal.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:50 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:

Remove the foliage.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7935 times

Postby Feenix » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:14 am

Booney wrote:Boss is taking me out for lunch, might head to Bad Boy Burger bar on Grange Road. Review to come...

They're good burgers there, make sure you're hungry as they're defnitely bad boys
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:32 am

Feenix wrote:
Booney wrote:Boss is taking me out for lunch, might head to Bad Boy Burger bar on Grange Road. Review to come...

They're good burgers there, make sure you're hungry as they're defnitely bad boys

I got the biggest one when i went there. I had to take half of it home. It was massive!
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion