Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:32 pm

Salisbury isn't the real northern suburbs ;)

#boganwars

:lol:
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wristwatcher » Tue May 05, 2015 11:42 pm

After the Showdown Sunday we went to the Buckingham Arms. My favourite restaurant in the 80s. We were going to go to the Bistro but the lovely manager offered to upgrade us to the famous Smorgasboard for $22 a head. The Schnitzel and sauce would have been $19 so it was a given.

Sh@t did we eat. It is still doing the same menu more or less as 30 years ago but it has a few things that can't really be stuffed up unless you try.
Roast - solid
Prawns - all 10 were good
Asian dishes - some tasty as, some not so
Cheese platter - solid
Onion rings - smashed them
Fish - good
Meat/steak - average
Ceaser Salad - v good
Deli meats - standard
Various seafoods - all ok
Desserts - all good
Ice cream machine - with waffle and topping and nuts hit the spot
Donut machine - always loved the novelty

3 plates in I fired out a strategic brown rocket and soldiered on. With so much variety it's not hard to find things you really like and if you don't like something you leave it and try something different. We took our time until about 90 minutes later we wobbled out and the 3 Crows fans I was with finally had a smile on their face. Took $5 and played the Pokies and the missus turned it into $40.

A great night and worth recommending but it was quiet. It's not a great place to go when it's packed but is definitely worth the price. Service was friendly an excellent. 8.5/10
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 06, 2015 9:39 am

wristwatcher wrote:After the Showdown Sunday we went to the Buckingham Arms. My favourite restaurant in the 80s. We were going to go to the Bistro but the lovely manager offered to upgrade us to the famous Smorgasboard for $22 a head. The Schnitzel and sauce would have been $19 so it was a given.

Sh@t did we eat. It is still doing the same menu more or less as 30 years ago but it has a few things that can't really be stuffed up unless you try.
Roast - solid
Cheese platter - solid
Fish - good
Meat/steak - average
Ceaser Salad - v good
Deli meats - standard
Desserts - all good

3 plates in I fired out a strategic brown rocket and soldiered on. With so much variety it's not hard to find things you really like and if you don't like something you leave it and try something different. We took our time until about 90 minutes later we wobbled out and the 3 Crows fans I was with finally had a smile on their face. Took $5 and played the Pokies and the missus turned it into $40.

A great night and worth recommending but it was quiet. It's not a great place to go when it's packed but is definitely worth the price. Service was friendly an excellent. 8.5/10

I've never left there disappointed, mind you I've never had to use my own money.
How did you get the free upgrade and how much is it normally?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri May 08, 2015 2:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:After the Showdown Sunday we went to the Buckingham Arms. My favourite restaurant in the 80s. We were going to go to the Bistro but the lovely manager offered to upgrade us to the famous Smorgasboard for $22 a head. The Schnitzel and sauce would have been $19 so it was a given.

Roast - solid
Cheese platter - solid
Fish - good
Meat/steak - average
Ceaser Salad - v good
Deli meats - standard
Desserts - all good

I've never left there disappointed, mind you I've never had to use my own money.
How did you get the free upgrade and how much is it normally?

Just lucky on the upgrade. 7.15 on a Sunday and it was quiet and I had misplaced my ent book voucher and she felt sorry for me.

Normally $30 now I think during your peak times. Might be 22ish at lunch but not sure
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri May 08, 2015 2:22 pm

Went to Topthai at North Adelaide Village for Mrs Wristys Birthday.

2014 Thai Restaurant of the year so the sign says.

25% off up to $30 with the gold card

Bill was $292 after discount for 7 adults having the $30 banquet and 2 childrens meals, 5 or 6 desserts plus 4 frothies and maybe one glass of wine.

Service was good

Setting is lovely

Not normally a Thai food fan but this was top shelf for taste and the all important portion size also did the trick. Great variety in both entrée and main allowing you to sample all the rich flavours. Even the bloody green tea was good.

Could not really fault it and if you like Thai its one you definitely need to give a crack.

8.5/10
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:52 pm

I think that Joe Hockey really needs to say a big Thankyou to Wristy

the amount of time he spends eating out and contributing to this thread, means he is out there spending money and helping the struggling, battling economy tick over
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby HH3 » Fri May 08, 2015 2:56 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think that Joe Hockey really needs to say a big Thankyou to Wristy

the amount of time he spends eating out* and contributing to this thread, means he is out there spending money and helping the struggling, battling economy tick over
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Fri May 08, 2015 10:12 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think that Joe Hockey really needs to say a big Thankyou to Wristy

the amount of time he spends eating out and contributing to this thread, means he is out there spending money and helping the struggling, battling economy tick over

With the amount of 2 for 1s available and the fact that we don't drink generally when we go out it really is more cost effective to go pay $12-$20 for a meal with salad and veg without the hassle of having to cook and now Mrs Wristy has a bun in the oven her already woeful cleaning skills have disintegrated even further. Its better than cooking, cleaning and really not much more on a lot of the things I tend to order.

Might as well make the most of it whilst we can pre children.

Your welcome Mr. Hockey :D
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri May 08, 2015 11:14 pm

Loucas seafood and Grill in Hutt St.

OH.MY.GOD =P~ Pretty much everything on the menu is SA caught.

There were 5 of us.

Entrée, I had seafood chowder, it was nice but I'd been spoiled by the fact that I've eaten the same in Bicheno, Tasmania and nothing will ever come close to it. My brother and cousin shared a dozen mixed oysters (Kilpatrick and the Loucas house sauce) and they couldn't' fault it - fresh as, they said.

For mains, My brother, my cousin and I, went thirds in the Australian chargrilled seafood platter. Chargrilled skewered Octopus, scallops, prawns, calamari and garfish, with chips and greek salad. The calamari was probably the best ive ever tasted.

Mum had the barramundi and Nanna had the king George grilled with crumbed prawns.

I had a glass of moscato, my cousin had a couple of pales and my brother had a beer and bought a bottle of Geoff Merrill rose for all of us.

total bill came to $365 which for all that seafood and alcohol is quite reasonable.

The service was magnificent - helpful and cheery without being annoying. The waitress who sat us down took the time to go through the specials with us.

It's a very small, intimate restaurant and can highly recommend it. The perfect place for a special occasion, without being too formal.

9/10
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 am

Any good dessert bars between McLaren Vale and city?
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Mon May 11, 2015 10:23 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Any good dessert bars between McLaren Vale and city?

Hungry Jacks are doing a $2 storm on their lose change menu if you really want to lash out. 4 flavours too :D
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:28 am

I believe they have a restaurant about 1km from my joint so not far too travel!
definitely keep that in mind
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Mon May 11, 2015 3:24 pm

Alberton Hotel. Took my kids, the missus and mother-in-law for Mothers Day lunch.

Staff: Friendly, helpful, and fantastic (in my experience they always are)

Food: Missus had the Atlantic Salmon with Squid and Prawns in Creamy Garlic sauce, MIL had a Beef Parmy, Kids 2 x Nuggets and chips, I had the Beef Vindaloo. Cost $88. Thought the pricing was just slightly on the rich side for what the food actually was.

Food was really ordinary unfortunately, which I found unusual because usually it goes alright. Pains me to say, but it was a disappointing experience. 4.5/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Mon May 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Willaston Hotel (lunch)

Mother's Day lunch at the Willaston Hotel was packed you had to almost climb over the top of people to get anywhere and being a decent sized guy with little old ladies (and KIDS, those things should be banned from hotels!) everywhere one false step forward or back and you could cause a variety of damage.

I initially got the garlic & chili prawns and mum the salt & pepper squid (hefty Mother's Day price hike on the meals too). I'm not a big fan of hot food but knew I was in trouble when I could smell the heat of the prawns before he had already put them in front of me. I couldn't detect any garlic and really it should be called chili soup with some prawns in it because that's basically what it was. After eating 1 or 2 in between wiping my forehead I had decided just to make do with the bread rolls but mum and I swapped meals but they were too hot for her too so she went up and asked them for garlic prawns. Fortunately they did it but the creamy garlic prawns didn't taste too flash. Mum only ate about half and gave the rest to me. The sauce they were swimming in was a bit foul. For dessert the soft serve ice cream was basically white water and the worst tasting ice cream I've ever had.

The Golden Fleece in Gawler is a little bit more expensive but their meals would be ten times the quality.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Johno6 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:41 pm

Anyone been to Enzo's before?
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon May 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Nah
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon May 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Johno6 wrote:Anyone been to Enzo's before?

Thats the one at Port Road Hindmash? I've been there but it was ages ago. Pricey but the food was really good. Hard to get a booking from Memory it seems really popular.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times

Postby Johno6 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:18 pm

I have a work dinner there. Heard you have to dress pretty nice? Just wanted to know what to wear without looking out of place sorta thing.
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon May 11, 2015 9:48 pm

Johno6 wrote:I have a work dinner there. Heard you have to dress pretty nice? Just wanted to know what to wear without looking out of place sorta thing.

Oh ok fair enough, no idea about the dress code there sorry mate.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times

Postby Johno6 » Tue May 12, 2015 8:41 am

all good, thanks mate.

been told just to dress a bit nice.
to TGIF's on Friday also then catch a movie
judging by the menu, it looks like it would be pretty nice?!
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion