Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:36 pm

Only had takeaway, but the Pizzas from the Saltbush Grill at Aldinga are sensational
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MW » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm

Checked out The Little Hunter last night. Food was ok, asked for medium and got the other side of medium-rare I reckon. Asked for veggies and missus asked for salad but it came out on the wrong plates :lol:
Definetly not worth the price tag of $39 for a 700g rib eye.
Overall 6/10
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Pag » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Anyone eaten at the Bedford Hotel in Woodside?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:44 pm

Renmark Club. Great tasting food, price reasonable, but small serving sizes and very slow service. Great view over the river though

6/10
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby DOC » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:55 pm

Jasmin again on Saturday night.

Excellent service and food. Cold frequent sparkling ales followed by some Kay Bros Shiraz. Fantastic "clubby" atmoshere. One of my favourites .

9/10
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 pm

The British

Chicken Parmi, chips and salad $24.40 :shock:

Tasted good but you don't have any business charging that in a pub for such a simple meal.

I won't be returning unless work pays again :D
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 848 times

Postby Ron Burgundy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:32 pm

RustyCage wrote:Renmark Club. Great tasting food, price reasonable, but small serving sizes and very slow service. Great view over the river though

6/10

If you have a spare day or two in Renmark, give Sorelles a go (across the road from the club). Usually really good.
Ron Burgundy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:33 pm

wristwatcher wrote:The British

Tasted good but you don't have any business charging that in a pub for such a simple meal.

Which British was it?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:03 am

Spargo wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:The British

Which British was it?

McKinnon Pde, North Adelaide
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby saintal » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:01 am

Pag wrote:Anyone eaten at the Bedford Hotel in Woodside?

Yeah, guess you could say it's my 'local'.

No frills but decent pub food. The schnitzels are enormous.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:50 am

The Stag Hotel has closed its doors for the final time.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:50 am

The Stag has closed it's doors before - back in the late 80's early 90's I reckon - and during that time it only opened whilst the Grand Prix was on.

They're trying to blame the Fringe. Unless there is some gross mis-management, one month of pop up bars isn't going to send you broke.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:25 am

am Bays wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Going out for tea tonight with the mrs and a couple of friends from Melbourne. Found out they are big snitty fans. Narrowed down to ale house, snitty house or earl of Leicester. Will book at lunch time. Leaning towards the earl but what is the consensus on here? I have never been to either by the way.

Go the Earl, The Earl of Aberdeen.

Craps all over the Leicester, IMO.

Much better service, there as well.

Forgot to update on this but yes we ended up going to the Alehouse.

All 4 of us ordered the chicken snitters. 2 girls ordered the 300gm variety whilst us 2 fellas went the 600gm.

Service was fantastic as you should expect when it is just above half full.

Mrs had creamy garlic sauce and reckons it was the best she had ever tasted. She was very happy and would score the meal a 9 or 9.5 out of 10.

I had the 600gm Parmi and it was huge. :D Just managed to put it all away but no more drinking for me I was done. Snitzel was nice and juicy and nicely crumbed, however my personal feeling was that the Parmi topping did lack some flavours. Overall mine would be a solid 8, would be a 10 with a more flavoursome topping.

Would definitely go back in a heartbeat.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:00 am

Sorry for the long post, haven't read this thread in a while

Jim05 wrote:Golden Fleece in Gawler
Went yesterday to catch up with another couple and watch the cricket. A lot better meal than when I was last there.
I had the pork ribs, little pricey at $42 but large serving of very tender and jucey pork, decent sized serving of very well seasoned fries and a large side of coleslaw. BBQ sauce marinade was awesome.
Wife had the pulled pork sliders which was on the specials board at $18, 4 decent sized rolls with tender pulled pork, coleslaw, aoli and other salad also served with fries.
Freind had the Beef ribs which was a massive pile of ribs and by all reports was amazing, his wife had a Texas chicken schnitty which was a very decent size and had no complaints.
Drinks on the pricey side for a pub but stayed for about 8 hours as there was live music aswell as the cricket on the big screen. Very relaxing arvo.
Food 9/10
Overall 8.5/10

love the golden fleece. Best pub in gawler along with the PA. Get the beef ribs next time though, they are sensational.

Gozu wrote:Gawler Palace Chinese Restaurant

I took my mother there on Saturday night and I thought the food was very nice and the service was outstanding. We got honey chicken, king prawns with cashews, fried rice and a serving of steamed dim sims. I got some Blue Lagoon cocktail (very nice), mum a glass of wine and afterwards an Irish coffee each. The irish coffee had way too much whiskey in it when really should only be a hint but everything else was great. Even got a slight discount on the bill.

Very much recommended and I'll be going there again.

you new to gawler Gozu? I havent seen you posting gawler stuff till recently.

Anyway, try Bamboo Hut Bistro as well if you like Asian food. Service is a bit slow, especially for takeaways, but the food is sensational.

RustyCage wrote:Ate at Primos before my final ever uni exam. My mate and I who ordered the same thing both got food poisoning and left the exam half way though.

That's my only negative from eating there, every time before and since has been really good. Cheap, decent quality and good size meals.

meh, would rather eat out half as often and spend twice as much and get something that i really enjoy instead of it being just adequate.

Gozu wrote:Willaston Hotel (buffet breakfast)

For Easter Sunday my mother and I went to the Willaston Hotel for a their buffet breakfast mainly due to their 'buy one get free' deal in the Barossa Herald paper. Started off poorly walked in saw a 'please wait to be seated' sign so continued walking around the front and back of the bar looking for someone to serve us after a few minutes we contemplated walking out. Eventually a woman served us I presented the voucher ($12.90 adult, i.e. $6.45 ea) and she tried to charge us $19 something we said no it's buy one get free and she said she couldn't read the voucher because she wasn't wearing her glasses and then suggested it didn't sound right and she better go and get said glasses. At this point we thought we might've made a mistake going there at all but she put her glasses on confirmed it was buy one get free and not buy one get one half price she was trying to charge us.

Anyway on principle I decided I was now going to murder the buffet and set about trying to eat the largest amount of food I've ever eaten. First plate I got two pieces of bacon, a large hash brown, a croissant, two little sausages, a tomato and a serving of scrambled eggs and repeated that a further two times. Topped it off with a slice of watermelon and was so full couldn't even finish my glass of coke. For $6.45 obviously was good value but not sure I would pay full price if not for the Barossa Herald's voucher.

i would steer clear of most of the pubs in gawler for meals. Willaston, Arms, Southern, Criterion all basically cater for Oldies that wanna play the pokies.
Kingsford is ok, but nothing special.

PA and Golden Fleece are definitely the two best, meals are different from standard pub fare, and they have the added bonus of a very good selection of beers.

Best restaurant in Gawler by a fair margin is Feast though. Seriously good.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pag » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:16 pm

General Havelock (Lunch)
Duck Spring Rolls (shared)
Chicken Schnitzel with Havey topping (cheese, bacon, mushroom, BBQ sauce)
Chicken Salad (chicken, feta, avocado, cherry tomatoes, rocket, sticky balsamic, something else?)
2 x cokes

Came to $36 all up with Ent Book voucher and couldn't fault any of the food, loved all of it, with quick service. Mushroom on the schnitzel was a new experience but a good one. Well worth it for good pub grub.

1877 Pasta and Wine Bar (Sfera's - Dinner)
Garlic Bread (shared)
Traditional lasagne
Cavatelli Paesana (Cavatelli with spicy italian sausage, red onion, zucchini, bocconcini, mozzarella and cherry tomatoes)
Shared serving of profiteroles
1 x coke and 1x glass Pepperjack Shiraz

Came to $60 all up with the Ent Book Voucher. Garlic Bread was OK, Lasagne was fine, Cavatelli was good but didn't get a lot of bocconcini, Profiteroles were amazing and were the highlight. A nice place but still prefer La Trat on King William for Italian.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:21 pm

Can't beat La Trat - the fact that it's been open for about 40 years is proof of quality.

Used to be our local when I lived in town.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:27 pm

Oh Calcutta

Main Sth Rd at Morphett Vale

simply now banned

a big fall from grace from what was one of my fav places

NEVER EVER AGAIN
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11854 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:21 pm

Bridgeway Hotel

Humongous Beef Schnitzel with gravy. Good cut of meat cooked correctly and a flavoursome gravy of good consistency. Mrs Wrist went the Roast beef which she couldn't finish as it was a pile of cow. 2 for 1 in ent book means we paid a total of $16.50 for Sunday dinner.

As always there Salad and Veg bar was fresh, clean and it's contents had good taste.

We got the pleasure of sitting in one of the many booths. I like Booths. You don't get bumped and it's removed the likelihood of a nuffy engaging me in conversation whilst providing me the table space and privacy I desire.

Being 7.30 on a Sunday evening our meals were served in 7-8 minutes before I had finished my plate of salad/veg. Served by 2 girls who went to the trouble of smiling and making pleasant conversation when interacting. A nice change from the Enfield customer service where I felt the urge to snap kick to the head :)

8.5/10
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Coach Bombay » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 pm

I rate the cremornes food highly, Natures providore on duthy is must for a lazy Sunday lunch, as well as Luna rosso - vodka sauce linguine is awesome or a place on king William road called Nutrition Republic. Osteria for tapas was always good but has now closed temporary and is reopening under a new name.

In town their seems to be a more eclectic mix of cafes and small bars which has helped create a more vibrant feel around the much maligned Hindley street precinct. Peel street cafe is a must, I went the spatchcock. Haven't made it to KW2 rooftop bar yet or Jamie's Italian.

For a good choice of craft ales in a place with a good atmosphere check out bank street social or clever little tailor. Good to see some young entrepreneurs with some real flair challenging the traditional corner pub venues.

If your a food truck guy then veggie velo for gourmet veggie burger or if you meat man try burger theory.

Chinatown goers try little NNQ, crispy pork belly, duck, beef pho all worth a shit, and yes it's the same people that run NNQ in ferryden park.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:03 am

1870 Steak House at the Port Adelaide Football Club.

$28.50 for an 350g Certified Australian Angus Beef Rump cooked perfect medium, with Steakhouse chips and salad bar. Mrs Boon went the same, just murdered it for longer on the plate.

Steak was perfectly cooked to both my and her-indoors liking. Medium for mine and well-done for hers. Steak house chips, chunky old style like Mum used to make. Salad/veggie bar standard fare. the roasted veggies my favorite.

10% discount with my membership card, with a pint of Carlton and a CC and Dry, $63.

Not the cheapest way to have a Tuesday night feed, but very nice, The eatery was pretty quiet, so service was over the top, coming past asking if everything was ok etc, which was good without being invasive.

A chat to Youngy, Harvs, Butch and Tommy Clurey made my night. The Mrs had no clue, other than who was "the hot surfy looking dude". Young.

7.5/10 - Excellent food
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion